Ratchawhitee rd late at night, weird goings on.

Chiengmaijoe

A lot of this seems to be a case of the elderly being envious of people having fun.

It's the best nightlife area in town.

attachicon.gifDSC00440.JPG

LOL! Guy on the left sneaks in a bottle of water with "7-11" logo on it, and either passes out on the bar or is in distress because the guy next to him is falling for another guy. I would rather get a root canal.

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I avoid the whole area, as it seems to be Chiang Mai's epicenter of circus pants, body odor, ugly tattoos, and warm beer. Whenever I meet a farang, who has been (or claims to have been) a victim of a burglary or other rip-off; they are usually staying within 500 meters of that street. I've seen rats that were bigger than the family dachshund over there. No thanks.....

Circus pants and body odor are one thing, braless backpacker gals are another. Even the Chinese are getting in on it.
Some of those Chinese girls would look good wearing burlap sacks. Plenty of them on Nimman. Can't say the same for the BBC Crowd (bread, biscuits, cake). 5 Large Leos for 199 THB.........anything like that in backpackerland? Didn't think so.
small bar/shop in yellow in the corner selling three large chang for 129bht.

regular Chang or Chang Excrete? How cold are they?

Circus pants and body odor are one thing, braless backpacker gals are another. Even the Chinese are getting in on it.
Some of those Chinese girls would look good wearing burlap sacks. Plenty of them on Nimman. Can't say the same for the BBC Crowd (bread, biscuits, cake). 5 Large Leos for 199 THB.........anything like that in backpackerland? Didn't think so.
small bar/shop in yellow in the corner selling three large chang for 129bht.

regular Chang or Chang Excrete? How cold are they?

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the only Thai beer worse than Chang is Chang Export.

I won't touch it.....worse than Cheers, which is also undrinkable. There is a bar right behind my condo...their promo is "Excrete," I've been once in 4 months; as opposed to four times per week if they had something decent. They had 3 Excretes for 89 thb around Nimman, but I've heard that ended.

I'm trying to think of what would be the US equivalent to Chang Export; but I'm stumped.....Schlitz Malt Liquor "Bull" is refreshing compared to CE.

Edited by Thighlander

I'm guessing you're all Americans. Chang Export is the best beer in Thailand by a country mile. Made from Malt rather than rice is a good start.

And to the OP, the two bars who have been showing the football on said street are now moving to a hotel somewhere for the second half (according to a Facebook post by the owner of the Dutch bar). It seems the police have had a word. 300-400B entry!

• Like 1

I'm guessing you're all Americans. Chang Export is the best beer in Thailand by a country mile. Made from Malt rather than rice is a good start.

And to the OP, the two bars who have been showing the football on said street are now moving to a hotel somewhere for the second half (according to a Facebook post by the owner of the Dutch bar). It seems the police have had a word. 300-400B entry!

Everyone being related must make the move easier.

Best beer in Thailand is faint praise, but this is the first time I've known Chang Export to receive even that.

Yes I'm from the US, I used to homebrew as a hobby, and my favorite beers are the hopped up ales made by hundreds of microbrewers in the US. Honorable mention goes to a fresh Pilsner Urquel, but one needs to go the the Czech Republic to drink it at its best. Like most great beers it doesn't travel well. Not that that would be an issue for Chang or Chang Export.

BTW, barley rather than rice is a good start, but it doesn't guarantee a good finish.

A bargain.

I avoid the whole area, as it seems to be Chiang Mai's epicenter of circus pants, body odor, ugly tattoos, and warm beer. Whenever I meet a farang, who has been (or claims to have been) a victim of a burglary or other rip-off; they are usually staying within 500 meters of that street. I've seen rats that were bigger than the family dachshund over there. No thanks.....

think your telling porkys there, many many bars selling 3 for 199 but 5 if,propaly out of date beer tasting like vinager,but as they say up to you.

they weren't old, they weren't warm, and they were five large for 199. The live music was good, too. Food starting from 35 thb......There were about a 100 people in there last night. Very Pleasant....the one date I checked was 18-05-2014......not perfect, but I would say that would be better than average for circus pantsland...They are delivered daily in the sealed boxes..........I counted 33 cases being delivered one evening. Bars been there for 8 years now.........

they weren't old, they weren't warm, and they were five large for 199. The live music was good, too. Food starting from 35 thb......There were about a 100 people in there last night. Very Pleasant....the one date I checked was 18-05-2014......not perfect, but I would say that would be better than average for circus pantsland...They are delivered daily in the sealed boxes..........I counted 33 cases being delivered one evening. Bars been there for 8 years now.........

You're obviously referring to a Thai place, the kind that rarely has more than a handful of westerners, and where you may be the only one. I like those places, the best ones have good Thai food at good prices, excellent beer promotions and, along Nimmanhamin, live music that often employs graduate students and professors from the music school at CMU. However since my Thai isn't great, most of the staff speaks little English and many prefer to use northern (Lanna) Thai, I usually go with a Thai lady friend. If my Thai were fluent I'd go alone and try my luck with the waitresses and pretties, they're really cute.

I think most of the Ratchawhitee backpacker crowd doesn't know about these places. That's probably just as well, the circus pants would look somewhat out of place in them.

I can't imagine flying 15000 km to go to a Thai place, lol. Is it possible, that the Thai bars/restaurants have an edge over farang owned bars by a) being able to get better rent B) better beer supplier relations c) better food supplier relations d) better police contacts e) much more capable of getting honest, educated locals to work there f) better contacts for equipment maintenance g) better contacts with musicians? Just maybe.