anyone use Hooked on Phonics to teach Thais how to pronounce unknown words ?

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has used hooked on phonics to teach Thais how to pronounce unknown English words ?

I often have trouble understanding what they are trying to say in English , since most Thais learned by repeating an English word , often spoken by a non native English speaker teacher.

But if it is an unknown word they do not know how to "mouth" it out like we would ,

I know this is not perfect but phonics might help ,

I am talking about Thais with a medium level of University English ,

and has anyone used Hooked on Phonics "Master Reader" , I got one at a yard sale the other day for $5 and not the $139 list price smile.png

or are there other systems like this that work better for Thais......

Most of these programs are for English speakers trying to get better , or others learning in an English speaking country like the USA.

I just do not know if Hooked on Phonics works with a "Thai brain" and how they learn english which is not a tonal language like Thai.

and no I am not an English teacher , just trying to raise the level of English of the people around me....

thanks for your ideas.....

Phonics is a method to teach sound-spelling patterns for reading and writing.

It can be used to contrast the differences between English and Thai sounds.

Stress, rhythm and intonation training is also needed for good pronunciation.

I looked at "Jolly Phonics" website and there are many things to buy

which one does your school use ?

Since I am in the USA the hooked on Phonics Cds and books are easy to get second hand ,

I just do not know if it helps and most are aimed at young kids and not young adults

I think I am looking for something to teach ESL ,"English as a 2nd language"

open to other ideas....

The phonetic/phonemic alphabet can help with pronunciation, but it will take a bit of dedication to learn. There are many free apps available to help with the sounds.

I am on old guy and I like books and things you can listen too, just how my brain works , see it , hear it , repeat it and them maybe it will stick in my head ,

The problem with the English language if you cannot use Phonics is you think you are saying it correctly but it is not and you do not have anyone to correct you ,

I have the same problem with French , it looks to my English eyes that a word would sound one way , but French Phonics is not the same and it does not sound that way at all !

I am not trying to be an English teacher , I see how hard it is to really teach English and get the students to understand more than parroting the few words that you can teach them....

Much to the loss of the NEA's credibility; the teacher's unions have been debating the effectiveness of "Phonics" for 40 years.........yet, that is how 95% of English speakers learned English. Probably lots of free stuff out there to teach phonics.....

Phonics is just another tool in the toolbox , but at least it gives you an idea how to pronounce an unknown word ,

Thats how I was taught , but its also easier when you grow up in an English speaking area ( now becoming Spanish speaking ) ,

I am just trying to help a few people , and I see how much I forgot in the years since school , past, present and future tense and all that stuff :)

You can get phonics content on the internet for free. But, it is not a silver bullet.

An effective EFL teacher needs an advanced understanding of the English sound system, as well as a basic understanding of the Thai sound system.

How you were taught is not relevant. The primary issue here is language interference (and untrained EFL teachers).

There is nothing you can buy in the U.S. that will tell you how to deal with language interference, in 5 easy steps.