The West might regret forcing Thailand into a corner

webfact

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this article. Not about the regret part, because if SEA ceased to exist

it would make little difference to America or Europe. From an outside perspective,

a coup looks bad. Probably conjuring up images of some tin pot dictator taking

over a country and immediately ordering a private jet. But that is far from what

has happened here. Through vote buying, it was fairly easy to simply take control

of Thailand and start looting it .Prayuth has brought that to a halt. So what he has

now is a communication issue. He needs to fully expose the cancer of Thaksin

to the public eye, prosecute those involved ,and show the western world the

enemy he is fighting. Then and only then will the western world understand what

is going on here.

My friend, you are deeply naive if you truly believe that Thaksin is the issue here. The entirety of Thai politics is built openly on a patronage system that feeds on and creates corruption.

You really think this corruption issue is new or even made much worse by Thaksin?

People in Thailand will largely vote for their 'teams' whoever they are beholden to. It has little to do with creating a platform and resolving issues in the country. When have you heard of any well defined core of ideas from either side of the political divide? Never.

Thailand was never ready for Democracy. They are a fully and plainly feudal society. The democracy was a surface coat of paint on their feudal system. That coat of paint has since cracked and we get to see how the system really works here.

I can't comment negatively on the military coups (by law), so I will not, but you need only to look at some of the other 18 coups to see many similarities to this coup.

My friend ..sounds like your corruption source has been cut off.clap2.gif

Never mind, keep watching FOX and continue dreaming about a come back.

So to get this straight the EU is punishing Thailand for removing an accused mass murderer, accessed terrorist and convicted criminal fugitive that is running Thailand while being unelected and was ushered into power through the UDD who funded the 7 months of terror attacks in Bangkok. I wonder what the EU members would say if these daily terror attacks happened in their country? I wonder if they would ask for the government to be returned if their children were killed by terrorists that supported the illegitimate regime and that regime refused to arrest anyone that committed crimes in defense of it? I wonder?

The EU clearly understand however that elections do not define the legitimacy of a government in power. Look no further than Ukraine and the EU support of armed neo-nazis in overthrowing an elected government. Western media narratives portraying the rabble as aspiring for “freedom,” “democracy,” and “closer ties with the West.”

The Russians called it a "bloody coup" however. Who to believe? On Jan 25th, 2014, 29 Ukrainian leaders of political parties, civic and religious organizations, sent an open letter to the UN and leaders of the EU and the US, decrying the Western support for the neo-Nazi campaign to carry out a bloody coup against a legitimately elected government. So do we believe the Russians here or the West? I am not perplexed because I understand the fundamentals of global politics that the people that call me naive don't.

The EU's condemnation of the Thai coup, but support of violent neo-nazi uprisings exemplifies that special interests over principles, define when "democracy" must be respected, and when it can be ignored. Americas condemnation of the Thai coup, but support of the Egyptian coup against a democratically elected government, exemplifies that special interests over principles, define when "democracy" must be respected, and when it can be ignored. Governments do not adhere to political ideologies, they simply use them when and where profitable. Some are naive to think otherwise.

It is not this love for democracy that some on here purport to respect because if they did that narrative would have been evident under the PTP regime. It is a measured groomed narrative that through propaganda allows one to have this warped ideal that the West is right so Thailand's coup is bad. It is those same people that believed the PTP propaganda too. Those same people that without thinking praise the Ukraine uprising and praise the Egyptian coup.

They are propaganda and conspiracy junkies and it makes their naivety look like Einstein’s intelligence on steroids. I am not angry with them or hate them. I pity them.

​May reconciliation be with you. It is contagious you know!!!

You are well resume the situation. I'm not remember EU or US condemn murders of children.......

We cannot tell anymore !!!!!! Well done

• Like 2

So to get this straight the EU is punishing Thailand for removing an accused mass murderer, accessed terrorist and convicted criminal fugitive that is running Thailand while being unelected and was ushered into power through the UDD who funded the 7 months of terror attacks in Bangkok. I wonder what the EU members would say if these daily terror attacks happened in their country? I wonder if they would ask for the government to be returned if their children were killed by terrorists that supported the illegitimate regime and that regime refused to arrest anyone that committed crimes in defense of it? I wonder?

The EU clearly understand however that elections do not define the legitimacy of a government in power. Look no further than Ukraine and the EU support of armed neo-nazis in overthrowing an elected government. Western media narratives portraying the rabble as aspiring for “freedom,” “democracy,” and “closer ties with the West.”

The Russians called it a "bloody coup" however. Who to believe? On Jan 25th, 2014, 29 Ukrainian leaders of political parties, civic and religious organizations, sent an open letter to the UN and leaders of the EU and the US, decrying the Western support for the neo-Nazi campaign to carry out a bloody coup against a legitimately elected government. So do we believe the Russians here or the West? I am not perplexed because I understand the fundamentals of global politics that the people that call me naive don't.

The EU's condemnation of the Thai coup, but support of violent neo-nazi uprisings exemplifies that special interests over principles, define when "democracy" must be respected, and when it can be ignored. Americas condemnation of the Thai coup, but support of the Egyptian coup against a democratically elected government, exemplifies that special interests over principles, define when "democracy" must be respected, and when it can be ignored. Governments do not adhere to political ideologies, they simply use them when and where profitable. Some are naive to think otherwise.

It is not this love for democracy that some on here purport to respect because if they did that narrative would have been evident under the PTP regime. It is a measured groomed narrative that through propaganda allows one to have this warped ideal that the West is right so Thailand's coup is bad. It is those same people that believed the PTP propaganda too. Those same people that without thinking praise the Ukraine uprising and praise the Egyptian coup.

They are propaganda and conspiracy junkies and it makes their naivety look like Einstein’s intelligence on steroids. I am not angry with them or hate them. I pity them.

​May reconciliation be with you. It is contagious you know!!!

Not sure on the reconciliation is contagious comment as we are isolated from any Thai politics in Phuket, but you do make sense dear.

I agree with this article. Not about the regret part, because if SEA ceased to exist

it would make little difference to America or Europe. From an outside perspective,

over a country and immediately ordering a private jet. But that is far from what

has happened here. Through vote buying, it was fairly easy to simply take control

of Thailand and start looting it .Prayuth has brought that to a halt. So what he has

is going on here.

My friend, you are deeply naive if you truly believe that Thaksin is the issue here. The entirety of Thai politics is built openly on a patronage system that feeds on and creates corruption.

You really think this corruption issue is new or even made much worse by Thaksin?

People in Thailand will largely vote for their 'teams' whoever they are beholden to. It has little to do with creating a platform and resolving issues in the country. When have you heard of any well defined core of ideas from either side of the political divide? Never.

Thailand was never ready for Democracy. They are a fully and plainly feudal society. The democracy was a surface coat of paint on their feudal system. That coat of paint has since cracked and we get to see how the system really works here.

I can't comment negatively on the military coups (by law), so I will not, but you need only to look at some of the other 18 coups to see many similarities to this coup.

My friend ..sounds like your corruption source has been cut off.clap2.gif

Never mind, keep watching FOX and continue dreaming about a come back.

The thing is many governments round the world have condemned the coup, they can not see the improvements, is it more to the point that they found it easier to do business with the corrupt governments of the past?

• Like 2

This article is totally dillusional. The writer has no concept of Democracy and the normal workings of a Democracy. To say that the Western nations (And others) should not speak negatively towards a Coup tells me that the author does not understand the basic concepts of Democracy. Still, with this being said, understand that the West also recognizes that Thailand is a different subset of nations. We know that Thailand will go full circle and return to Democracy. Why? Coups are so common in Thailand, we know its coming, and more importantly, we know that it will end. So smile, relax, and the West will applaud you when Thailand returns to Democracy.. Why not, its happened so many times in the past!

Dillusional is if a person who has no idea what he or she is talking about. Democracy in the western world is dead, my friend!!! It has been buried long time ago and is rotting in a shallow grave. Dunno where you come from, but if you'd manage to at least try to think outside the box and google a bit to find out what for example the gay string puppet Obama has done to the constitution of the US of A, you would be surprised. Same goes for the majority of all other western nations, especially in Europe, where human rights and souvereignty of all member countries of the EU have voluntarily (and without asking the people) been handed over to the uncontrollable and untouchable control monster in Brussels. Do you truly believe, nations that have destroyed "the concept of Democracy" (as you put it) in their own country have the right to tell Thailand off for a coup that brings change to the better and is fully supported by the majority of Thai people?

Here is your Democracy:

Just curious. If supported by the majority, why gagged the press, pay whistle blowers to spy on their friends, called up people who have other opinions etc. Under this restrictive climate, you can tell? Honestly changes are announced but yet to see tangible results. You can read tea leafs too?

• Like 1

is going on here.

you are absoluteley right. The regime changed but everything is the same as before...or is there anybody to control this government...???

The Rouge sheeple, continue to spot about democracy, when their desert demigod, was certainly no champion of democracy. It was probably a word he learnt playing scrabble when he was buying his doctorate degree from some Septic Tank degree mill.

• Like 1

It is interesting looking outside of the box. Meaning, living out of country and looking back at ones own. IMO the Eu and USA are so into the philosophy of 'democracy' that when a nation for whatever reason breaks from that.....aka Egypt and now Thailand.....they get all authorative. The world seems to be split between democratic nations.....aka USA, EU, South Africa, India, Thailand etc. As compared to authortian aka Russia, MIddle East, China, North Korea.etx. So when one of 'our own' meaning Democratic have coups.......they the USA/Eu being at the top feel that they need to keep the membership however loosely they are connected within the group. Sort of like a family keeping their members in line to the rules.

Speaking about the USA only, it does have its own issues. Look at the politicial partisanship happening now. The government has seemingly come to an almost stop due to the obstructionism of the opposite party in power. I wonder how the USA would respond if other nations started making critisms of its management. But, then again, they don't have the power of economy, clout as the USA.

In the long run, could it just be hyperbole just to save face of their principles? What is happening behind the scenes. Their ambassadors must have given data on the breakdown of the internal affairs of Thailand during the red shirt/yellow shirt events. They can't be that narrow visioned. Or could they?

When I did not live in Thailand I really did not pay attention to the internal affairs of the nation. I was just aware of the glimpses of its culture and people.

The coup may be a bad name, but it has been cleaning the cobwebs of corruption and settled the unrest. That is a good thing. I trust that the USA and EU also see that and will hold their blustering till further down the road. Thai is as it should be.

• Like 2

This article is totally dillusional. The writer has no concept of Democracy and the normal workings of a Democracy. To say that the Western nations (And others) should not speak negatively towards a Coup tells me that the author does not understand the basic concepts of Democracy. Still, with this being said, understand that the West also recognizes that Thailand is a different subset of nations. We know that Thailand will go full circle and return to Democracy. Why? Coups are so common in Thailand, we know its coming, and more importantly, we know that it will end. So smile, relax, and the West will applaud you when Thailand returns to Democracy.. Why not, its happened so many times in the past!

Dillusional is if a person who has no idea what he or she is talking about. Democracy in the western world is dead, my friend!!! It has been buried long time ago and is rotting in a shallow grave. Dunno where you come from, but if you'd manage to at least try to think outside the box and google a bit to find out what for example the gay string puppet Obama has done to the constitution of the US of A, you would be surprised. Same goes for the majority of all other western nations, especially in Europe, where human rights and souvereignty of all member countries of the EU have voluntarily (and without asking the people) been handed over to the uncontrollable and untouchable control monster in Brussels. Do you truly believe, nations that have destroyed "the concept of Democracy" (as you put it) in their own country have the right to tell Thailand off for a coup that brings change to the better and is fully supported by the majority of Thai people?

Here is your Democracy:

Just curious. If supported by the majority, why gagged the press, pay whistle blowers to spy on their friends, called up people who have other opinions etc. Under this restrictive climate, you can tell? Honestly changes are announced but yet to see tangible results. You can read tea leafs too?

Really?? Democracy is Dead in the West? I guess you don't understand democracy. No big surprise. Democracy is not perfect, but one may say that is the best of all the options out there.

I suppose you may say Coup/Mlilitary leadership is better?

- News can't defame the Junta

- Internet is controlled by the Junta

- Junta shut down Media and restricted Thais from viewing Int'l media.

- Hundreds of people pulled in to "Listen" to the Junta's "Words of Wisdon"...No talking or you will be arrested.

- You can be arrested for reading a book in public?

- People are given travel restrictions saying that you can't leave the country?

Wow...I want that kinda goverment in my country. What a life!!

• Like 1

1) Do not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban. This rule also applies to links to external websites.

No further warnings will be given on this thread.

Quite ironic, given the EU sanctions, that the real reason of the coup and what will decide Thailands future, is currently being played out in Southern Germany.

This will go over the heads of many here, especially the pro coup types, but I know at least some of you get what I mean smile.png

what a silly article

i have never seen a wannabe democracy where students are arrested for wearing a t-shirt,reading a book..or eating a sandwich

not to mention the global happiness imposed by the junta

• Like 2

It is interesting looking outside of the box. Meaning, living out of country and looking back at ones own. IMO the Eu and USA are so into the philosophy of 'democracy' that when a nation for whatever reason breaks from that.....aka Egypt and now Thailand.....they get all authorative. The world seems to be split between democratic nations.....aka USA, EU, South Africa, India, Thailand etc. As compared to authortian aka Russia, MIddle East, China, North Korea.etx. So when one of 'our own' meaning Democratic have coups.......they the USA/Eu being at the top feel that they need to keep the membership however loosely they are connected within the group. Sort of like a family keeping their members in line to the rules.

Speaking about the USA only, it does have its own issues. Look at the politicial partisanship happening now. The government has seemingly come to an almost stop due to the obstructionism of the opposite party in power. I wonder how the USA would respond if other nations started making critisms of its management. But, then again, they don't have the power of economy, clout as the USA.

In the long run, could it just be hyperbole just to save face of their principles? What is happening behind the scenes. Their ambassadors must have given data on the breakdown of the internal affairs of Thailand during the red shirt/yellow shirt events. They can't be that narrow visioned. Or could they?

When I did not live in Thailand I really did not pay attention to the internal affairs of the nation. I was just aware of the glimpses of its culture and people.

The coup may be a bad name, but it has been cleaning the cobwebs of corruption and settled the unrest. That is a good thing. I trust that the USA and EU also see that and will hold their blustering till further down the road. Thai is as it should be.

Correct! And all the fuzz is cooked up just because the US and the west realized by now they are about to lose their stranglehold on Thailand. If you compare this situation to a simple husband/wife partnership it would be like the husband shouting at the wife who was always loyal and never cheated on him ever, but is now about to leave him for good; "I condemn you for leaving me!" whereas she never even said a word while he was f#$%ing around behind her back for 30 years on a daily basis...

Hypocrisy at its best...

is going on here.

Thaksin is not the cause, he is the result of what Thailand goes through. When I see generals stepping out of S500's and already exposing their wish for a political career after retiring from the job they were taught to do; army!

That the EU and US take a strong position is logical, civilised and to be admired. Who really believes you can bring happiness by a song, censorship, narcism to an entire population?

is going on here.

you are absoluteley right. The regime changed but everything is the same as before...or is there anybody to control this government...???

No.

The Rouge sheeple, continue to spot about democracy, when their desert demigod, was certainly no champion of democracy. It was probably a word he learnt playing scrabble when he was buying his doctorate degree from some Septic Tank degree mill.

"Gobblin snott" is that an affliction or a preference ??

How green and viscous is it ?

What is rouge sheeple, a miss spelling of sandstone steeple ?

Wait another two years and see what happens when half the population realises they have been effectively disenfranchised.

Edited by philw

Another day, another made by order anti-USA/EU/West article coffee1.gif .

Posturing, chest beating, and extra loads of face. Give it a few weeks/months and as opposed to the OP's

forecast ("It is likely that US and EU relations with Thailand will deteriorate over the next three to six months."),

we'll be reading Thanong Khanthong's next piece, showering praises on the great friendship and special

relationship between Thailand and the USA/EU/Whomever.

Got to love the hyperbole - comparisons to Syria and Iraq (yes, ok - as soon as we get some radical Muslim groups

to jam), waving the BRICS flag (Thailand a sixth member of BRICS? Really? Doubt they'll change the catchy name),

ASEAN a paper tiger (a taste of what it's like when having issues with the PRC), USA/EU being bullies (as opposed

to the PRC territorial disputes with ASEAN members).

Can't find that lovely storm-in-a-tea-cup image I used for Pauline's piece yesterday. but would fit here

just as well.

• Like 1

Here is your Democracy:

Little bit too much truth in this one Eric............

Thailand gets what Thailand deserves..... always has and always will.

Well you could say that for any country really. For example, look at all those reckless countries in the Euro, England included, years of reckless policy and spending, one could argue they got exactly what they deserve. Sadly its always the working class citizens that suffer at the hands of incompetent foolish pollies.

Same world over.

Even tho' I am somewhat pro coup in Thailand & have been critical of the US's tier 3 ranking of human trafficking for Thailand & the EU's sanctions.re the coup................

and it's great to see the military government investigate the rice scheme,missing bags of rice,encroachment on forest land & other issues ...is somewhat good news on progress but

I am looking to see what is happening on investigations on the slavery/abuse/horrible working conditions in the fishing industry.

If there is abuse there, I hope that charges,fines etc are laid to the fullest extent & workers compensated & the companies charged ...& put out of business.

Any government official connected to allowing abuse ..sacked,jailed,fined etc.

Although I am in a wait & see...this has to be an immediate response in investigations...I am hoping it has already started..if not

I would be greatly disappointed.

Then I would have to admit I am totally wrong in the US's tier 3 ranking.

Edited by iphad

Well you could say that for any country really. For example, look at all those reckless countries in the Euro, England included, years of reckless policy and spending, one could argue they got exactly what they deserve. Sadly its always the working class citizens that suffer at the hands of incompetent foolish pollies.

Same world over.

...who get elected by the working class citizens...

Europe and the U.S. should mind their own business as the Army would seem to be doing a good job in removing corruption from the country and in removing the war weapons which are in abundance in the country, personal view only.

It would appear that the coup was necessary for the country's own good, leave Thai affairs alone and they will sort it out themselves without any Western interference.

• Like 1

Same world over.

...who get elected by the working class citizens...

Yep, that's right Hawker, I'm aware of how it works. Sometimes, the people have to pick what they think might be the best turkey, sometimes it works out for them other times it doesn't.

Occasionally, a good one comes along, he/she doesn't always get to where one would hope he or she gets to. Pollies bandy together and look out for competence, then they white ant it.

Thailand just aren't as good at hiding the corruption - Blair and his butt buddy Brown should both be in prison for what they did to the UK - now the current UK government have the impossible job of cleaning up the mess

and lets not get into the banks and what they have done

Thailand should continue it's current path and ignore the international community - lets just hope the General takes his time and does it right

• Like 1