Best Concert Ever?...

krisb

I also saw some wonderful Grateful Dead shows...

people like to talk ill of the Grateful Dead, saying it is hippie Jam band stoner music, but boy, all those guys were very talented musicians that drew upon many different genres of music and when they were on, you would be hard pressed to find better live music than them

The sign of good musicians.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johan Sebastien Bach in 1756

Maybe your date is a little off? J.S. Bach (The Master) 1685 - 1750.

Went blind late in life, alas, and bores the angels in Heaven daily about how he is owed BILLIONS in royalties. He was always known to be a very difficult personality.

I missed his weekly organ work at his home church in Leipzig, but am fortunate to have a 78 RPM album set called "Bach Live at Thomaskirche: Midnite Mass!". ( Very limited and unavailable pressing, to be sure.) The Master brought the house down with his immortal BWV Five-Six-Five, that features in half the horror films ever made. All of his talented kids were on hand, jumping in on vocals, and showing their talents on strings, vocals, and woodwinds. While the Master went offstage for a well deserved spliff and cognac break, Young Gottlieb Goldberg and Johan Christian Bach did some fantastic 4 handed clavier work on the famous "Goldberg Variations."

What a night.

Please PM your pharmacy.

Went blind late in life, alas, and bores the angels in Heaven daily about how he is owed BILLIONS in royalties. He was always known to be a very difficult personality.

I missed his weekly organ work at his home church in Leipzig, but am fortunate to have a 78 RPM album set called "Bach Live at Thomaskirche: Midnite Mass!". ( Very limited and unavailable pressing, to be sure.) The Master brought the house down with his immortal BWV Five-Six-Five, that features in half the horror films ever made. All of his talented kids were on hand, jumping in on vocals, and showing their talents on strings, vocals, and woodwinds. While the Master went offstage for a well deserved spliff and cognac break, Young Gottlieb Goldberg and Johan Christian Bach did some fantastic 4 handed clavier work on the famous "Goldberg Variations."

What a night.

Sorry, got the date wrong by a few years.

But yes, it was quite wonderful. My wig went on fire just before the end, oh dear.

Bruce rules for the amount of time he can stay on stage, with the fact that he does it for fun and is not just doing a show. Each show is different.

As i said to the girls in the Ladies Forum - I cried, waiting 30 odd years to see that man was a big rush.

Anyway, other concerts.

Buns n Poses - not bad, a bit fat

REM - boring, never played any of the old stuff

Simply Red - Wonderful, he may be ugly but he has a voice

I could go on...

The Who 12. April 1967 in Ludwigshafen was real fun after this concert was in this Hall no Rockconcert allowed anymore.(small damages)cheesy.gif

http://www.thewholive.net/concert/index.php?id=1501&GroupID=1

Frank Zappa 21. March 1979 in Eppelheim

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/frank-zappa/1979/rhein-neckar-halle-eppelheim-germany-6bd0e272.html

Vienna 1786, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Antonio Salieri - duelling harpsichords.

You been there?

I met him on 18. July 1763 in Schwetzingen he (7 yo) his father and his older sister Nannerl(11yo) applied for a job.

They played in the Castle of Schwetzingen in front of the Churfürst.

Unfortunately was no job available.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/frank-zappa/1979/rhein-neckar-halle-eppelheim-germany-6bd0e272.html

• Like 1

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker Band and Charlie Daniels Band at the Capital Center, Largo Maryland in 1974. Also Led Zeppelin in the same venue in 1976. Great memories.

I also took my wife to Oz fest ( Ozzy Osbourn) the first month she was in the States in 1999. Naked women and ganja everywhere. I think she was in shock for a month.

I like southern rock

What a night.

Hi was the first Kantor of the thomaner chorus in Leipzig

• Like 1

1991 Vangelis concert in Rotterdam harbor. Everything what could float like tugs, fire brigade boats, harbor cranes, whatsoever, and whatever could make noise or blow steam including (steam) trains on the harbor bridges were a part of the concert.

The use of laser to project images or to make everything change color was until that time unprecedented. I was on the other side of the river, and had like tens of thousand's of other people a great overview of all that was going on, the sound was phenomenal wherever you stood. It was an absolute grand happening on a very large scale.

Got married that night, divorced in the morning rolleyes.gif and rode of towards the sunset.(airport to fly out). Great times.

Not trying to sound condescending, but Jesus, are there no foreigners on Thaivisa under the age of 45?

It is just Patsycat who is older since she went to Bach concerts in 17hundred something, the rest went to concerts accompanied by their parents when still very very young. tongue.png

• Like 2

I did see a combined Elton John and Eric Clapton concert about 20 years ago. That was good, except i had to extract my extremally stoned (never smoked a doobie in his life) husband from the toilets by his feet. with help.

Bronski Beat

The Dubliners

Nigel Kennedy and his violin

Police

Dire Straits - Mark Knopfler winked at me

The land down under group

David Bowie at Murrayfield

James Brown

Status Quo

And the guy from Newcastle who unchains my heart every time!!

Too many,

I just mentioned my previous life, because i am jealous of all the old fogeys going to probably the best concerts ever in the sixties or seventies. There is no way i can compete with what they have seen to what i have seen!!

OK it was 1767. I was sitting in the drawing room embroidering with mama. And there he was, playing his clavi whatever.

Edited by Patsycat

So many great concerts , so little time and money. I have more regrets about concerts i didn't see and never will see than concerts i did see. I would have loved to see Ray Charles, James Brown, Nat King Cole ,Frankie Sinatra, Dinah Washington, Solomon Bourke and now i can add Bobby Wormack to the list . RIP Bobby .

One the best concerts i ever saw would have to be Screaming Jay Hawkins at the Coogee Bay on a rainy winter night maybe 20 years ago. Fantastic show with the skulls and voodoo props plus some of the best Aussie musos backing the man. What a powerful voice he had.

• Like 1

Although no one performer was the best I've seen, for overall atmosphere, Rock in Rio week last year was awesome. The night I went we saw Match box 20, Nickleback and Bonjovi. Bruce Springsteen and Metallica where staying at our hotel. I think in the seven days 600,000 attended the events! Rio knows how to party!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm jealous of the guys who saw Hendrix. Pink Floyd never hit the spot for me but I would give them a go live.

I will get slated for this, never mind, these are only my personal musings.

If you want to watch PF, stay at home and put Pulse on your home entertainment system.

One of the few groups that left me underwhelmed.

Yes as a light show, spectacular, back screen projections, flying spitfires and the pig, its hard to beat as a visual experience.

Musically boring, no atmosphere, never jam, every concert sounds the same.

I put Floyd in the same category as Queen and Bowie, ok for a day out, listen to the music and thats it.

If you want improvisation and jamming better you go watch The Black Crowes or Gov't Mule.

Two of the best live bands ever, The Allman Brothers and Santana, you will never see the same show twice, a bit like Bob Dylan.

To the guy who mentioned Vangelis in Rotterdam, correct me if I am wrong, didnt Jean Michel Jarre beat it by years,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkTaMf3ToiA

I'm jealous of the guys who saw Hendrix. Pink Floyd never hit the spot for me but I would give them a go live.

If you want to watch PF, stay at home and put Pulse on your home entertainment system.

Yes as a light show, spectacular, back screen projections, flying spitfires and the pig, its hard to beat as a visual experience.

I put Floyd in the same category as Queen and Bowie, ok for a day out, listen to the music and thats it.

If you want improvisation and jamming better you go watch The Black Crowes or Gov't Mule.

Two of the best live bands ever, The Allman Brothers and Santana, you will never see the same show twice, a bit like Bob Dylan.

To the guy who mentioned Vangelis in Rotterdam, correct me if I am wrong, didnt Jean Michel Jarre beat it by years,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkTaMf3ToiA

rgs, you hit the nail on the head with your comment about jamming and improvisation versus prearranged concerts -it's two very different approaches to live performances.

Dave Gilmour has said he aims in live performances to produce a show as perfect as it is possible to do, he wants to leave audiences moved, and for that, all the elements of the band and light show must be rehearsed and primed to optimum performance to produce that effect. Floyd are the classical music of today.

On the other hand are bands and musicians where the impetus is 'let's rock!' Talented musicians can carry it off and never play a song the same way twice, but it' s only for he truly talented!

Not going to correct you, I am sure there were likewise and earlier concerts by others in different places in the world, but for the Netherlands/Rotterdam it was unprecedented.

Oh, not easy. Pink Floyd, all 3 times is right up there. The Eagles too along with Supertramp and Jethro Tull at Sydney Opera House. They were all great concerts but heaps of others too. My biggest disappointment was Black Sabbath in the early days. Terrible sound and I reckon they must have been off their collective faces big time.

Gotta give you a thumbsup.gif on that one.

Saw the Allman Brothers and Santana a lot in San Francisco....Two of my favorite bands. Once went to Golden Gate park Aquarium (actually to go see the Aquarium) back in the late 60's...and when we came out there is The Music Concourse in front....Santana was there jamming....had a crowd of about 35 people.

San Francisco also used also have free Sunday concerts at Speedway Meadows....Jefferson Airplane and Grateful Dead at one!!!

Gotta love San Francisco!