Kasikorn Bank won’t give me an account unless I buy accident cover

ukguyinthai

I wanted to open a kasikorn bank deposit account. I have helped open several accounts for my visiting friends over the last 2 years no problems. The bank told me I needed a residential proof from immigration (never needed before but ok). I need to deposit 10,000 baht “to show’ but I could take it back out when the account was opened (never needed before but ok). And 800 baht to open the account and get a debit card. So I gathered all the above and went back to complete opening the account. Cut a long story short the counter girl explained I would need to purchase a 12 month accident insurance cover 2500 Baht. If I won’t buy the cover she could not open the account. But if I bought the cover she could.

After inspecting the A4 list of simple written insurance cover offerings I thought it was on the most part useless .and I have insurance so I really don’t need it.

I insisted I really don’t need this insurance, I was advised to buy it or go to another bank.

I rang a help line number the counter girl hesitatingly give me 02-8888800 they told me they did not have a policy to force customers to buy this insurance. I asked them could they ring the branch and tell them to open me an account, and not charge me for this policy that I don’t need, they advised me to use another branch. I said but it’s your branch, your company, your business ,why can’t you give orders to your staff who have “made a mistake” answer mai dai

Edited by Tywais
Changed to standard font.

Do you have real rights to live here ? If you are not on the correct visa you should already be happy that they accept to open you an account, as many have been denied this right...

The bank never questioned my visa status, or questioned my right to live here. All the paperwork I provided as requested by them was in order. My point is being forced to pay 2500 Baht for accident cover I didn’t need. Yes I will go to another Bank I just wanted to tell others.

The other aspect is ,if I was a tourist here for only 2 to 4 weeks and wanted to put my cash in a safe place, I have to pay a standard 800 Baht to open the account ( which I can accept )plus buy a 2500 Baht 12 month accident insurance cover.

I think the bank will start to lose the easy 800 Baht and lose any profit they make from playing with peoples holiday money. Or maybe people will just pay it and be happy.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts
  • Like 1

It's a scam and the bank staff and rep you spoke to should be FIRED! (but they won't because you are just a farang)

I agree totally, but we farang can tell other farang and we can vote with our feet.

Edited by Rimmer
Please DO NOT post in non standard fonts thank you
  • Like 1

Name the branch so we know not to try there.

I opened an account at Kassikorn Big C On Nut 6 months ago on a tourist visa.

Just 400 Baht for the ATM card and no minimum deposit. I only made an initial deposit of 2000 Baht.

Let us know the branch works for you as well.

Just 400 Baht for the ATM card and no minimum deposit. I only made an initial deposit of 2000 Baht.

Pattaya big c central off second road plus I tried Tesco lotus on Naklua road I wanted to use this bank to make low cost money transfers to another K account. I will continue to try to find a branch that treats farang fairly and report back.

I've never had a problem with Kasikorn at big c extra...opened many account there over the years. The only cost is B150-300 depending on which type of ATM card one chooses (or none if no ATM/debit card). Yes, they sometimes try to up-sell you a card with some type of insurance cover but you can refuse. Believe it or not, sometimes they actually run out of the ordinary ATM cards and only have the insurance cards on hand so that's all they can offer at that time. Then they usually say to come back in a few days or if you need it immediately to go to another branch.

If you need to, just ask to speak to the manager and it she won't open he account for you without he insurance cover, tell her you'll report the matter to head office. (But do all this in her private office and be friendly about it.)

• Like 1

I have always found the level of service at the 'convenience' branches inside shopping centers isn't as good as the service at main branches, the ones you find in commercial premises on the street.

In my experience this applies up-country, in cities and also applies to all banks.

The OP has only made us aware of something that is a well-known fact of farang life in LOS.

It would be very helpful if the OP identified the branch SPECIFICALLY so that others may avoid the same sh!t service.

• Like 2

I have always found the level of service at the 'convenience' branches inside shopping centers isn't as good as the service at main branches, the ones you find in commercial premises on the street.

In my experience this applies up-country, in cities and also applies to all banks.

The OP has only made us aware of something that is a well-known fact of farang life in LOS.

It would be very helpful if the OP identified the branch SPECIFICALLY so that others may avoid the same sh!t service.

He did later in the thread...the Kasikorn in Big C Extra, Pattaya Klang.

Lack of integrity at the bank?

If I was the boss, that staff would be inviting you back to the bank branch, do some major groveling and apologize in front of the entire staff.

Then I would throw her out the door as a lesson to all the other scammers.

I've never had a problem with Kasikorn at big c extra...opened many account there over the years. The only cost is B150-300 depending on which type of ATM card one chooses (or none if no ATM/debit card). Yes, they sometimes try to up-sell you a card with some type of insurance cover but you can refuse. Believe it or not, sometimes they actually run out of the ordinary ATM cards and only have the insurance cards on hand so that's all they can offer at that time. Then they usually say to come back in a few days or if you need it immediately to go to another branch.

If you need to, just ask to speak to the manager and it she won't open he account for you without he insurance cover, tell her you'll report the matter to head office. (But do all this in her private office and be friendly about it.)

^^^ Yes, this. I have been offered 500 and 800 baht cards and refused. I waited till the 150 baht ones were in stock again. The branch on Klang just past Buakhao on the beach-bound side is pretty good. I second the poster's recommendation you go to a main branch and not the mall ones. Only issue is that the mall ones tend to be open Saturdays while the main branches are only open Monday to Friday.

OP: the minimum deposit, account opening fees and mandatory insurance are all BS.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Pattaya big c central off second road plus I tried Tesco lotus on Naklua road I wanted to use this bank to make low cost money transfers to another K account. I will continue to try to find a branch that treats farang fairly and report back.

Thanks for bringing this this to our attention. I currently have a problem with KBank too. I had 2 fraudulent transactions done on my account and I was not in Thailand at the time. I called up and told them what happened, they blocked my visa debit card and sent me a form by email to complete. So far I only got only part of one fraudulent transaction refunded, the other is still outstanding.

I need to get a new ATM card when I get back. This time I do not want anything to do with Visa or point of sale or online shopping and definitely no insurance. All I want is a straight ATM card with pin without any frills. Is there any such card and how much are they?

Let us know which branch you find that is user friendly, thanks.

My kaskorn account was open in 10 minutes no question nothing!

Maybe a underpaid worker, to try make some money with provision of insurance

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Which branch exactly?

Edited by bmanly

My kaskorn account was open in 10 minutes no question nothing!

Maybe a underpaid worker, to try make some money with provision of insurance

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Which branch exactly?

Update today K banks are closed in Pattaya sat/sun but a Bangkok branch seacon square srinakarin assured me all I need is a passport and visa. So I will try tomorrow. I am in Bangkok anyway.

Sandman77 can I ask which Branch and what date, you opened your account. What paperwork was asked for and how much did you pay for the account.

The Manager of both branches refused to open an account if I didn’t buy insurance. It was not a junior member of staff trying their luck to earn a bit of commission from me. And both Managers refused to tell me who gave them these new orders. Only acting like they didn’t understand what I was asking and re confirming I have to buy it.

"I said but its your branch, your company, your business ,why cant you give orders to your staff who have made a mistake answer mai dai"

Manager of each branch of each bank has autonomy.

The insurance scam happens because the manager gets a bonus for selling xxx policies each month.

Some of the accident policies are well worth having, BKB sells one for 2k5 that covers all accidents (including m/c) for 30k per time.

Worth it just for the card that allows them to treat you immediately when they find it on your unconscious body.

They claim direct.

Do you have real rights to live here ? If you are not on the correct visa you should already be happy that they accept to open you an account, as many have been denied this right...

The bank never questioned my visa status, or questioned my right to live here. All the paperwork I provided as requested by them was in order. My point is being forced to pay 2500 Baht for accident cover I didn’t need. Yes I will go to another Bank I just wanted to tell others.

The other aspect is ,if I was a tourist here for only 2 to 4 weeks and wanted to put my cash in a safe place, I have to pay a standard 800 Baht to open the account ( which I can accept )plus buy a 2500 Baht 12 month accident insurance cover.

I think the bank will start to lose the easy 800 Baht and lose any profit they make from playing with peoples holiday money. Or maybe people will just pay it and be happy.

Did you ask them for a savings account or deposit account ? Minimum deposit is 500 baht, not 10k for opening a savings account. Check Kasikorn website for the details, if you ask for only a deposit account it's 10k.

So I think they just misunderstood you.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

"I said but its your branch, your company, your business ,why cant you give orders to your staff who have made a mistake answer mai dai"

The insurance scam happens because the manager gets a bonus for selling xxx policies each month.

Some of the accident policies are well worth having, BKB sells one for 2k5 that covers all accidents (including m/c) for 30k per time.

Worth it just for the card that allows them to treat you immediately when they find it on your unconscious body.

They claim direct.

this is a bad photo of the insurance offered, just a A4 paper with some basic statements. I thought it was very poor.

I understand if you sell a product you can earn commission. But allowing your new customer to "walk" because you didn't earn commission on a policy is very small time thinking.But I have often thought to myself " do people realize there is a tomorrow and what you do and how you treat me today will effect it "

post-213518-0-45376800-1403974176_thumb.

Thanks for bringing this this to our attention. I currently have a problem with KBank too. I had 2 fraudulent transactions done on my account and I was not in Thailand at the time. I called up and told them what happened, they blocked my visa debit card and sent me a form by email to complete. So far I only got only part of one fraudulent transaction refunded, the other is still outstanding.

I need to get a new ATM card when I get back. This time I do not want anything to do with Visa or point of sale or online shopping and definitely no insurance. All I want is a straight ATM card with pin without any frills. Is there any such card and how much are they?

Let us know which branch you find that is user friendly, thanks.

Long story short, I was asked one by one if I wanted any of those features. I said "no" to everything. It was no problem. They all seem to be options they can encode into the card and account. I was the same as you: debit and ATM functions only.

They claim direct.

this is a bad photo of the insurance offered, just a A4 paper with some basic statements. I thought it was very poor.

I understand if you sell a product you can earn commission. But allowing your new customer to "walk" because you didn't earn commission on a policy is very small time thinking.But I have often thought to myself " do people realize there is a tomorrow and what you do and how you treat me today will effect it "

That insurance policy is not very good. The one thing we need most is our medical bills paid for in case of an accident. For that they give you only 50,000 baht medical cover? That would give you a day or two in Bangkok Pattaya hospital at best. What a rip off. I will stick to my overseas travel insurance that covers me for unlimited medical expenses. No wonder no one wants to take that policy out.

They claim direct.

You are missing the point, the banks just don't want foreigners as customers.

They don't force Thais to buy the policy.

• Like 1

It really doesn't surprise me mate, we got told by TMB the documents needed to open a joint savings account, when we got back there......."sorry farang name cannot be on account".

The wife actually laughed and said "but you told us what we needed", bank clerk picked the phone up and started to talk to an Imaginary customer.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by longstebe
  • Like 1

I sent an email to the Kasikorn head office asking to clarify the requirements to open a new account.

Anybody taking bets the email will be ignored?

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to make a report to the customer service management of Kasikorn Bank regarding an incident at one of your Pattaya branches.

The staff at your bank is requiring new customers purchase accident insurance to open a new bank account.

The staff refuse to open new accounts unless the customer purchase the insurance!

Is it true to open an account we need:

-Residence Certificate from Immigration.

-Minimum 10,000Bt Deposit.

-800Bt. Fee.

-2,500Bt. for accident insurance.

The counter girl explained the need to purchase a 12 month accident insurance cover 2,500 Baht or she will not open the account.

She advised to "go to another bank" if I did not purchase the insurance!

Is this the banks policy?

Regards,