Kasikorn Bank won’t give me an account unless I buy accident cover

ukguyinthai

Yes it seems to be all about the staff getting commisions from offering different packages , avoid kasikorn branch central beach . They try to trick foreigners into buying something you don't need. Try Jomtien or the branch inside garden plaza.

• Like 2

Why do you guys still even consider this bank when they are obviously running a scam? Why keep going around to different branches trying to find a person who will not try pull this scam? What's the appeal of Kasikorn? It's not like you don't have other banks to choose from with the same services and ATMs all over the place.

Bangkok Bank did not try run any scams or sell anything to me. Took maybe 20minutes to set up and I was out the door with my bank book. They have multiple branches around town and ATM's all over the place just like Kasikorn.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

Yes it seems to be all about the staff getting commisions from offering different packages , avoid kasikorn branch central beach . They try to trick foreigners into buying something you don't need. Try Jomtien or the branch inside garden plaza.

Saturday, August 30, 2014: Kasikorn in Royal Garden Plaza wants a residence certificate + 10,000THB. Employee confirmed I may withdraw the deposit immediately.

So this is something new they have started at kasikorn and maybe other banks as well.

Your last hope would be the jomtien branch, very popular among expats . I remember I opened the account and deposit 800 baht, including atm card .

A friend who is well connected to the Pattaya City Expats Club has confirmed that the branch manager of Bangkok Bank 2nd road at soi 6 has given speeches at the club and reports are that any foreigner can open an account there with only their passport, proof of address (not residence cert.), email and phone number, possibly a small deposit (typical) that could be immediately withdrawn, and a fee for the card. There is no history or reports of 10,000THB for insurance payments.

I will be there Monday morning.

There's a simple reason, why these issues only affect the K-Bank!

Maybe one of the guys, who need/want a K-Bank account and ONLY a K-Bank account without any alternative, might "bring light into the darkness"

whistling.gif

Edited by vel_tins

There's a simple reason, why these issues only affect the K-Bank!

Maybe one of the guys, who need/want a K-Bank account and ONLY a K-Bank account without any alternative, might "bring light into the darkness"

whistling.gif

I use Kasikorn's online banking so I prefer having all my accounts with 1 bank. On Monday, I will try Bangkok bank on 2nd road/soi 6. Failing that, I'll open with Kasikorn by depositing 10,000 baht.

Monday, September 01, 2014

Account opened with Bkk bank at 2nd road/soi 6. They asked for passport, residence certificate, 500 baht to open the account + 300 baht for the ATM card. *

2 female staff at desks 7 and 8 made a few comments that were impolite. Unexpected for 2 educated and trained employees.

*Must wait 2 weeks for online banking to be activated.

Account opened with Bkk bank at 2nd road/soi 6. They asked for passport, residence certificate, 500 baht to open the account + 300 baht for the ATM card. *

2 female staff at desks 7 and 8 made a few comments that were impolite. Unexpected for 2 educated and trained employees.

I have dealt with those girls there and they are very professional. Seems to be lots of farangs coming and going so they are definitely used to dealing with us. What exactly did they say that was impolite...(puzzled)? Was in there not too long ago and they actually pulled me ahead of the Thais with queue numbers before mine. So I always feel like I am getting the royal treatment when I am in there presumably just because I am farang.

Yes it takes a couple weeks for the online to get setup (has to be done in Bangkok) so I can confirm that one. I did not have to produce a residence certificate. They probably just used that to get your local address which you do need. They didn't do any checks on that address and they will never send anything there if you don't want them to as far as I know. I have it set up for everything to get sent to the bank if there ever is anything.

Talked with an expat friend the other day who has an account there. He also has a Kasikorn account. Says he thinks Bangkok bank 2nd road is better overall and does most of his banking there. He says that 2nd road branch was able to do things other branches could not (possibly only because the didn't know how). Can't remember what it was.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

I did not have to produce a residence certificate. They probably just used that to get your local address which you do need. They didn't do any checks on that address and they will never send anything there if you don't want them to as far as I know. I have it set up for everything to get sent to the bank if there ever is anything.

The employees told me it's a new rule as of 3 months ago (June 2014). 300 baht = 1 residence certificate but one may open multiple accounts on the same certificate I was told today at the bank. The feature I like about online banking is that I get the web shopping card which is needed to validate a PayPal account.

Maybe Kasikorn upstairs at Big C extra, central rd. I see foreigners in there daily so must be a popular branch for expats.

I did not try there yet but it may be popular from accounts created before the demands of documentation and cash for account creation changed.

Scamming Kasikorn Bank staff should be reported to:

[email protected]

02-888-8888

JUNE 29, 2014

Firstly, we would like to inform you that we have no policies which force customers to purchase any insurance with opening accounts. Secondly, there will be a required minimum deposit of account opening is 500 THB for Saving Account and 10,000 THB for Current Deposit Account. However, the required documents for account opening as follow;

1. Valid Passport
2. Work permit or Valid Visa or a copy of House Registration. (Over 3 months)
3. If you have other documents that can prove yourself, we suggest you to try to submit and let our representative consider them.

In case that you would like to issue a debit card for your savings account, there will be debit Card fees can be listed as follow;

- K-Debit Card first time registration fee THB 100, yearly fee THB 200
- K-My Debit Card first time registration fee THB 150, yearly fee THB 250
- K-My Special Debit Card first time registration fee THB 250, yearly fee THB 250
- K-Max Debit Card first time registration fee THB 150, yearly fee THB 550
- K-Max Family Debit Card first time registration fee THB 150, yearly fee THB 800
- K-Max MRT Debit Card first time registration fee THB 250, yearly fee THB 550
- K-Max Special Debit Card first time registration fee THB 250, yearly fee THB 550
- K-SME Debit Card first time registration fee THB 150, yearly fee THB 800

Edited by khunjamesjohnson

[email protected]

02-888-8888

Much luck, when reporting all Pattaya branches and their staff...

Welcome to "Corruption City".

I do agree with the "much luck" comment although I once reported the cashier at Sizzler Royal Garden and I received an over the top compensation all for firing off a brief email describing how I enjoyed my meal but the cashier was a little rude (which didn't take away from the quality of the meal or dining room service).

[email protected]

02-888-8888

JUNE 29, 2014

Firstly, we would like to inform you that we have no policies which force customers to purchase any insurance with opening accounts. Secondly, there will be a required minimum deposit of account opening is 500 THB for Saving Account and 10,000 THB for Current Deposit Account.

So this is what they're trying to do , maybe not scamming but they want customers to open a fixed deposit account instead of a savings sccount. That's why they ask for min. 10000 baht deposit.

Next time , ask them to open a savings account for you and show them the official kasikorn website that shows min. deposit is 500. I would not leave the branch until they accepted it , if they refuse, call kasikorn customer serice on your phone while you're there. They speak excellent english , explain the problem to them and hand the phone over to the staff. Then you will have no more problems.

• Like 2

[email protected]

02-888-8888

JUNE 29, 2014

Firstly, we would like to inform you that we have no policies which force customers to purchase any insurance with opening accounts. Secondly, there will be a required minimum deposit of account opening is 500 THB for Saving Account and 10,000 THB for Current Deposit Account.

So this is what they're trying to do , maybe not scamming but they want customers to open a fixed deposit account instead of a savings sccount. That's why they ask for min. 10000 baht deposit.

Next time , ask them to open a savings account for you and show them the official kasikorn website that shows min. deposit is 500. I would not leave the branch until they accepted it , if they refuse, call kasikorn customer serice on your phone while you're there. They speak excellent english , explain the problem to them and hand the phone over to the staff. Then you will have no more problems.

Or just go to Bangkok Bank as I did and open the account for 500 baht.

[email protected]

02-888-8888

JUNE 29, 2014

Or just go to Bangkok Bank as I did and open the account for 500 baht.

If you already have a Kasikorn account with online banking , you don't want to open an account in another bank . I already have 3 accounts at Kasikorn , but if I had to open a new account I would still choose Kasikorn . And I would not give up that easily .

• Like 1

In thailand there are no branches! Those are all different banks despite they have the same name. T's more like buying franchise... They must follow some rules but in general they have complete freedom. As many suggested, try different branch and you will get positive reply.

• 6 months later...

Just to make an update on this topic.

I tried opening an account today with their branch located in Central on beach road.

I came armed with passport (non-O, multi) and yellow house book but was told to get a residence certificate and I had to buy this 8500 insurance that I am not interested in since I already have a very good health insurance elsewhere. I left.

Then I rode up to BigC+ on central Pattaya road and into their branch on 2nd floor.

No problems, they accepted my yellow house book, I had to put 10.000 in right away but no talk of insurances but the Visa card cost 800 baht and is a platinum privileged member card (whatever that means? but can be used on-line which is handy) , the polite woman quickly found a lot of forms I had to sign and she wanted my e-mail address and mobile no (not for a hot date I am pretty sure). After receiving my card and bank book, I immediately went outside to their ATM and withdraw 5000 and all was good.

I now have bank accounts with SCB, Bangkok Bank and now Kasikorn Bank too and Debit cards with all as well (2 Visa and 1 Master).

Why so many Bank accounts?: Well having 3 different cards gives me peace of mind when traveling around (sometimes outside Thailand), a card is sometimes "eaten" by the ATM machine so I am not left stranded if it happen again (1 time in Pattaya).

2: Distributing your money is not a bad idea at all, I sometimes have a coin or two here in Thailand so if 1 card is skimmed (I am very careful and it never happened to me, but you read a lot about it) I will only loose app 1/3 of my money and will not be desperate while waiting for getting them back (if you get them back?).

• Like 1

Kassakorn are prcks. They told me when I closed my account because they lied about being able to do a wire transfer back to the U.S. They told me not to come back. I told them to not worry I will never bank with them again.

Over the years I opened and closed accounts with all major banks. It seems like the branch manager has a lot of power and can pretty much do what he wants. The differences between one branch and another of the same bank are stunning m

Over the years I opened and closed accounts with all major banks. It seems like the branch manager has a lot of power and can pretty much do what he wants. The differences between one branch and another of the same bank are stunning m

Yes that's right, one branch can be very nice and trying to accommodate you but the other one is not interested.

SCB on beach road near walking street are a real pain in the ass. One time my wife and I were doing some business there and one of the bank woman kept asking me to open a 15 year saving account for my son, well she was almost begging me and after she asked the 5th time, I completely lost it. I shouted very loud at her: DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT NO MEANS NO! Completely silence in the whole bank, he-he, she was red in her face in embarrassment.

I asked to get all the documents I given them before back and cancel everything we trying to do and I told them that we will go to SCB on 2nd road where they don't pester you with things you are not interested in.

Needless to say I don't go there anymore, LOL.

I simply don't do any business anywhere near Beach Road, whether optical shops, shoe stores or banks. The farther you are away from Beach (tourist zone), the better the service, in my experience.

I've had accounts with KBank in Bangkok and Pattaya for 8 years now. Never had a problem, except when they tried to sell me the expensive debit card with insurance/free replacement card etc. 800 baht? Naw. I waited for the cheap card, 150 baht, to come back in stock.

Guzzi: Eight thousand, five hundred baht for insurance? That's absurd, since KBank offers one-year personal accident insurance for 2500 baht. I think SCB staff were trying to fund their weekend party.

• Like 1

Yes the further away from beach road and walking street the better treatment you gets and it's cheaper too for a hair cut as well, I pay 80 baht at my current place.

I sometimes uses the small bank outlets in Naklua town since I live nearby and I gets royal treatment there compared to the tourist spots and same goes for shops, they are extremely helpful.

It's like any other small town in Thailand.

• Like 1