Kasikorn Bank won’t give me an account unless I buy accident cover

ukguyinthai

I sent an email to the Kasikorn head office asking to clarify the requirements to open a new account.

Anybody taking bets the email will be ignored?

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to make a report to the customer service management of Kasikorn Bank regarding an incident at one of your Pattaya branches.

The staff at your bank is requiring new customers purchase accident insurance to open a new bank account.

The staff refuse to open new accounts unless the customer purchase the insurance!

Is it true to open an account we need:

-Residence Certificate from Immigration.

-Minimum 10,000Bt Deposit.

-800Bt. Fee.

-2,500Bt. for accident insurance.

The counter girl explained the need to purchase a 12 month accident insurance cover 2,500 Baht or she will not open the account.

She advised to "go to another bank" if I did not purchase the insurance!

Is this the banks policy?

Regards,

If you write it in Thai someone might take the time to read it.

I sent an email to the Kasikorn head office asking to clarify the requirements to open a new account.

Anybody taking bets the email will be ignored?

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to make a report to the customer service management of Kasikorn Bank regarding an incident at one of your Pattaya branches.

The staff at your bank is requiring new customers purchase accident insurance to open a new bank account.

The staff refuse to open new accounts unless the customer purchase the insurance!

Is it true to open an account we need:

-Residence Certificate from Immigration.

-Minimum 10,000Bt Deposit.

-800Bt. Fee.

-2,500Bt. for accident insurance.

The counter girl explained the need to purchase a 12 month accident insurance cover 2,500 Baht or she will not open the account.

She advised to "go to another bank" if I did not purchase the insurance!

Is this the banks policy?

Regards,

do what my wife does,phone yes phone head office,it worked twice for me when 2 banks wouldn't give me one of their products.the two banks now sawadee me every time.

One post removed:

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

OMG...another "scam" another "scam" whoop tee doo...I can get my post count up by warning everyone about another Thai "scam" in this hub of scams...except for for thousands (tens of thousands) of foreigners who have cards and weren't scammed.

This is what I don't understand. Every single friend I've sent to KBank over the last 5-6 years came away with a fresh account. No stories of scams, etc. I think the OP just got an opportunist which, when you think about it, is a pretty serious dereliction of duty in a major bank. Or at least it would be "back home".

• Like 1

I went to open an account at the local Kbank...showed them my passport and they said need work permit, i told them a work permit is not possible on this visa, As a last try i showed them my thai DL...she said oh thats ok,

20 minutes later i walked out with a book and atm/debit card.

I went to open an account at the local Kbank...showed them my passport and they said need work permit, i told them a work permit is not possible on this visa, As a last try i showed them my thai DL...she said oh thats ok,

This one is not a scammer, just lazy.

"Cannot, No Have" (now stop bothering me so I can get back to my noodles and Facebook)

• Like 1

"Cannot, No Have" (now stop bothering me so I can get back to my noodles and Facebook)

Yep, i guess its just the luck of the draw, How to tell which assistant is not in noodle/facebook mode?

• Like 1

Yep, i guess its just the luck of the draw, How to tell which assistant is not in noodle/facebook mode?

I have just been to Kasikornbank Seacon Square, Dept store ,floor G,room number 1001-1004B Tele 02 721 8554

I received brilliant service from start to finish.

A savings/deposit account was 400 Baht inc debit card(option to pay 700 baht for accident protection inc debit card ) no option for a 800 Baht card. I took the 400 Baht option

Deposit required min 500 Baht (10,000 baht deposit on current/ cheque accounts only)I was not asked to buy any other products. So straight forward 900 Baht all done.

I needed my passport, proof of address from immigration. I would also recommend taking a Thai friend to help with language barrier.

So at the end of the day I know that at least 2 branch managers in Pattaya have worked out a scheme to extract forcefully more money from non Thai people. And pretend its new company rules. I never had time to check the other branches. Thanks for your contribution to this thread maybe we can update it as we go.

post-213518-0-35062800-1404037791_thumb.

• Like 2

"If I can't scam this farang, I won't open his new bank account."

That's what's she is thinking.

I'm sure the shareholders would like to know this is happening.

I'm sure the shareholders don't really give a shit.

• Like 1

I tried to open an account at Kasikorn recently,and had similar problems to the OP.

Each time I returned with what they said was required, they asked for something else.

When they informed me, on my 3rd visit, of the insurance policy, my wife asked an interesting question.

"Why did Kasikorn not ask me to take out insurance policy when I opened an account 1 month ago".

Answer was that Thai people cannot afford this type of policy and that Thai people know this not to be a true requirement. Also, Thai people may not be as desperate as foreigners to open bank accounts.

The bottom line with this is the commission the staff in banks get for opening these insurance policies for foreigners outweighs any other factors .

• Like 1

Impressive!

Kasikorn Bank public relations answered the complaint within hours, on a Sunday!

Apologized, explained their policy, costs and want to straighten out the staff.

Job well done. I would consider opening an account here.

Here it is:

We sincerely apologize for inconvenience has caused to you. Firstly, we would like to inform you that we have no policies which force customers to purchase any insurance with opening accounts. Secondly, there will be a required minimum deposit of account opening is 500 THB for Saving Account and 10,000 THB for Current Deposit Account. However, the required documents for account opening as follow;

1. Valid Passport

2. Work permit or Valid Visa or a copy of House Registration. (Over 3 months)

3. If you have other documents that can prove yourself, we suggest you to try to submit and let our representative consider them.

In case that you would like to issue a debit card for your savings account, there will be debit Card fees can be listed as follow;

- K-Debit Card first time registration fee THB 100, yearly fee THB 200

- K-My Debit Card first time registration fee THB 150, yearly fee THB 250

- K-My Special Debit Card first time registration fee THB 250, yearly fee THB 250

- K-Max Debit Card first time registration fee THB 150, yearly fee THB 550

- K-Max Family Debit Card first time registration fee THB 150, yearly fee THB 800

- K-Max MRT Debit Card first time registration fee THB 250, yearly fee THB 550

- K-Max Special Debit Card first time registration fee THB 250, yearly fee THB 550

- K-SME Debit Card first time registration fee THB 150, yearly fee THB 800

Please kindly inform us more information of the situation that you have treated inconveniently in order to coordinate with the related department to investigate and also improve our representative's service

This should come as no surprise to anyone. If you read their website in English , everything is mentioned there.

As I told you before, its a big difference between a savings (500 min. deposit) and a deposit account. (10k deposit) .

OP must have been talking to the wrong staff, maybe they just misunderstood him.

If you have a valid Thai DL and a tourist visa or a house book, they will open an account for you. But if they do not like you for some reasons, they can refuse you to open the account, but all the people I know had no problems with kasikorn. I opened 3 accounts there myself.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Impressive!

Kasikorn Bank public relations answered the complaint within hours, on a Sunday!

Here it is:

We sincerely apologize for inconvenience has caused to you. Firstly, we would like to inform you that we have no policies which force customers to purchase any insurance with opening accounts. Secondly, there will be a required minimum deposit of account opening is 500 THB for Saving Account and 10,000 THB for Current Deposit Account. However, the required documents for account opening as follow;

1. Valid Passport

3. If you have other documents that can prove yourself, we suggest you to try to submit and let our representative consider them.

In case that you would like to issue a debit card for your savings account, there will be debit Card fees can be listed as follow;

- K-My Special Debit Card first time registration fee THB 250, yearly fee THB 250

- K-Max Family Debit Card first time registration fee THB 150, yearly fee THB 800

- K-Max Special Debit Card first time registration fee THB 250, yearly fee THB 550

Please kindly inform us more information of the situation that you have treated inconveniently in order to coordinate with the related department to investigate and also improve our representative's service

This should come as no surprise to anyone. If you read their website in English , everything is mentioned there.

As I told you before, its a big difference between a savings (500 min. deposit) and a deposit account. (10k deposit) .

OP must have been talking to the wrong staff, maybe they just misunderstood him.

If you have a valid Thai DL and a tourist visa or a house book, they will open an account for you. But if they do not like you for some reasons, they can refuse you to open the account, but all the people I know had no problems with kasikorn. I opened 3 accounts there myself.

I have to disagree with you. I also have a kbank account too and decent command of the thai language. I can say definitively that the branch in central festival pattaya would not open a account in april 2014 without buying the insurance and a 800 baht atm..

• Like 1

Impressive!

Here it is:

1. Valid Passport

Just to clarify for Balo. Anyone thinking of using K bank at Pattaya big c central off second road and Tesco lotus on Naklua road.

I asked for a savings deposit account not a current deposit account

I spoke to Managers (not the wrong staff)

I had a home agreement of over 3 years old; I had proof of address from immigration, I had a current visa, I had my passport, I had my current UK driving license, Thai car license and Thai motorbike license.

I went with a Thai person who can speak good English, the managers seemed to have a good command of English, I am 100 % sure they understood everything.

Both staff never reacted in a manner that they didn’t like me…They both offered me an account…but only if I purchased accident insurance.

As I have said previously in my post I too have opened accounts before (pre 27/06/2014) without any problem.

There is no misunderstanding or confusion……both these managers were not honest about company rules and refused my business if I did not comply, and pay for products I didn’t need or want.

I was left on the pavement clutching my paper work thinking “this can’t be right” (I wish I had videoed it but I didn’t know I was going to have a problem)

Later a K bank in Bangkok gave me brilliant service and no talk of buying extras gave me an account for 400 Baht and 500 Baht deposit,as I have posted earlier.

Just don’t waste your time guys, if you want to open a savings deposit account at K bank ask the question early about the extras. Or phone the branch first.

• Like 1

Ok so maybe some branches try to not follow the rules , if it was me I would call the head office and make a complaint ,

I have had good experience with K-bank Royal Garden and the Jomtien branch where we opened up accounts within the last 6 months.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

I sometimes think that the reason bank officers seem to favour the expensive options is lack of command/comprehension of English. The cheap cards will be the ones Thais want so they're sometimes out of stock. The officer doesn't know how to explain that you can wait two weeks for the cheap card to come back in stock so they insist the expensive option is the only way. It's my theory because I would think KBank training and customer practices would be pretty good but English levels far from adequate to meet that standard. Or maybe I suffer from Pollyanna syndrome.

• Like 1

I sometimes think that the reason bank officers seem to favour the expensive options is lack of command/comprehension of English. The cheap cards will be the ones Thais want so they're sometimes out of stock. The officer doesn't know how to explain that you can wait two weeks for the cheap card to come back in stock so they insist the expensive option is the only way. It's my theory because I would think KBank training and customer practices would be pretty good but English levels far from adequate to meet that standard. Or maybe I suffer from Pollyanna syndrome.

Excellent point. Give Thais the benefit of doubt when possible. And many of the farang also lack command/comprehension of English (not to mention Thai) as well. No wonder the frustration. Such is living in an underdeveloped country w/ underdeveloped farang. wink.png

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

A Pollyanna stance is something I have learned to adopt. Whilst at the same time I keep looking for the truth. Being angry and negative to anyone is never going to help you in Thailand.

Although I have mental images of blowing heads off with an Ak47.I do remain calm on the exterior.

Even when my partner puts tooth paste on my tooth brush, the size or a pepper corn, and will continue to do so despite what I say.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to bring up old threads, but I had the same experience today at the Neurnplubwan branch on the "Darkside".

So can anyone recommend a K-Bank branch, which does not try to scam rip off Farangs?

thanks.

Edited by Turkleton

Try the branch inside royal garden plaza, they are friendly and I opened 2 accounts there in the past.

• Like 1

I have never been asked about it ,but maybe they have changed the rules now. When I opened up my last account there a year ago all I had was a tourist visa and I gave them my address.

• 5 weeks later...

I have never been asked about it ,but maybe they have changed the rules now. When I opened up my last account there a year ago all I had was a tourist visa and I gave them my address.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Went to 2 Kasikorn branches today looking at which is foreigner friendly.

-Central Festival Beach: wants 10,000THB to open + card fee but I can withdraw the money immediately. Documents: Passport only.

-Naklua road near soi 18: wants 40,000THB or work permit to open + card fee but I can withdraw the money immediately. Documents: Passport only.

People: what's the latest: where can I open an account at ANY bank anywhere in Pattaya with just my passport and less than 2000 baht? Thank you very much.

Which branch please? Has anyone had a foreigner friendly experience at ANY bank anywhere in Pattaya?

Just go to Bangkok Bank main branch. 2nd road across from Soi 6. All I needed was a passport and a local address. If you don't have a local address just use a friends.. No minimum as far as I know but if you have less than 2000baht they charge you something like 50baht a month.

Was recommended to me by some expat friends who have accounts there. They seem to think that's the best most farang friendly one.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

Avoid the Festival Beach branch, very unhelpful to Farangs IMHO.

I lost my debit card on a Saturday, Sunday went in there to get a replacement and and cancel the old one at this branch , all they would offer me was the B800 package, when all I wanted was a replacement to my old one, which it clearly says B100 on their website for the type of card I have.

In the end she said 2 weeks to replace it, asked to speak to the manager but was not available conveniently, I was getting pretty angry inside myself by this time considering I have had an account with them since 1987 (Thai Farmers Bank) , so I just left.

Next morning walked into Pattaya Tai branch, was in and out with my replacement, which had somehow now gone up to B150, in 10 minutes. Still says B100 to replace on their website, so they were determine to get something extra out of me

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KDebit.aspx

Edited by bartender100