The options for under-50s who dont want to work in Thailand ?

And where i can stay for 6 month in my home country when i not have anything there ?! Always i hear "oh in the USA you also can not stay for a long time" Why not say "oh in cambodia you buy a business visa and can stay for 1 year without a problem???!!!" Not all countries have tight visa rules. Why Thailand do it now and not before ?

The rules haven't changed, Thailand now just start to enforce the existing rules. Why is it so not-understandable for you that a country don't want to allow foreigners to stay long term without any real reason?

Fatfather

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone mentioned, if you can get a 180 day 3 entry tourist visa, that with 30 day extensions at immigration, plus 1 visa exempt entry is practically 10 months in Thailand without much messing about or worrying.

Likely it was me who said that. 2 months at home in the UK followed by a 10 month holiday. As a holidaymaker I require a tourist visa so I get one. Total cost is around 20k (Baht) a year though I could blow 100K a year and get a Elitelite card. However, if I was the kind of person who was willing to waste money then likely I would be still working and not in this position.

As someone mentioned, if you can get a 180 day 3 entry tourist visa, that with 30 day extensions at immigration, plus 1 visa exempt entry is practically 10 months in Thailand without much messing about or worrying.

Likely it was me who said that. 2 months at home in the UK followed by a 10 month holiday. As a holidaymaker I require a tourist visa so I get one. Total cost is around 20k (Baht) a year though I could blow 100K a year and get a Elitelite card. However, if I was the kind of person who was willing to waste money then likely I would be still working and not in this position.

What all are you factoring in to the 20k a year? Visa + extensions comes to 8k no?

What all are you factoring in to the 20k a year? Visa + extensions comes to 8k no?

Plus activating two entries which I do by air from Samui.

[edit] Actually, thinking about it, it is more like 25k because of the additional visa exempt at the end.

[additional edit]Plus I say for 2 days each time so hotel costs. Even with everything it's less that 50k a year which is half the Thai Elite card cost. It's a no brainer really.

Edited by notmyself

Thailand Elite Card http://www.thailandelite.com

Thailand Elite Members will be granted a “Privilege Entry Visa” when applying at any
Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate-General, or at the Thai Immigration Bureau at
Suvarnabhumi, Chiang Mai and Phuket International Airport.

This “Privilege Entry Visa” is a multiple entry visa which is valid for five years - and is renewable as long as the Membership is valid. The Members are also granted an exclusive extension for each stay from regular 90 days to 1 year without the usual need to cross the border. In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elite’s Privilege Entry Visa.

Thailand Elite also provides the Members the unlimited Elite Personal Liaison to present to Thai Immigration Bureau Chaengwattana, Bangkok in place of the Members as in the 90-day obligation issued by Thai Immigration Bureau without additional charge*.

The Members can also complete the Privilege Entry Visa renewal at Immigration Bureau Offices at Suvarnabhumi International airport upon arrival, or Chaengwattana-Bangkok and 90-day presence by themselves at any available Thai Immigration Bureau offices throughout Thailand.

Edited by coppywriter

Thailand Elite Members will be granted a Privilege Entry Visa when applying at any

Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate-General, or at the Thai Immigration Bureau at

This Privilege Entry Visa is a multiple entry visa which is valid for five years - and is renewable as long as the Membership is valid. The Members are also granted an exclusive extension for each stay from regular 90 days to 1 year without the usual need to cross the border. In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elites Privilege Entry Visa.

Thailand Elite also provides the Members the unlimited Elite Personal Liaison to present to Thai Immigration Bureau Chaengwattana, Bangkok in place of the Members as in the 90-day obligation issued by Thai Immigration Bureau without additional charge*.

The Members can also complete the Privilege Entry Visa renewal at Immigration Bureau Offices at Suvarnabhumi International airport upon arrival, or Chaengwattana-Bangkok and 90-day presence by themselves at any available Thai Immigration Bureau offices throughout Thailand.

And all at the low price of the surrender of your mental faculties. It could work for some no doubt but the immigration office is 20 minutes away and the airport 30. I can do it myself and get a dozen or so paid for breaks in a hotel for less half the price even with flying.

If you're under 50, aren't married to Thai, don't work and don't want to study Thai at a language school, then Thailand doesn't want you - there is no visa class for these people.

I find it amazing that Thailand seems so unwilling to accommodate people who are under 50 who want to stay here for longer than just for a holiday.

Why not have some kind of visa for under 50's, where applicants have to prove they have the necessary funds to support themselves for a year? The authorities could also insist on applicants having valid travel/medical insurance in order to obtain the visa, this way applicants would not eat in to state medical care/finances should they become ill or have an accident during their stay in Thailand.

Finally. Someone making some sense! Not everyone with cash to invest feels it makes any sense to invest it in Thailand! Elite card... Investment visa... Please. cheesy.gif Enjoying the atmosphere or whatever doesn't mean wanting to bury cash in the place!

• Like 1

And where i can stay for 6 month in my home country when i not have anything there ?! Always i hear "oh in the USA you also can not stay for a long time" Why not say "oh in cambodia you buy a business visa and can stay for 1 year without a problem???!!!" Not all countries have tight visa rules. Why Thailand do it now and not before ?

Because Thailand is not a refugee camp mandated to take in every person on the planet who thinks he/she needs to be catered to. A lot of the people who fit in this category have abused/circumvented the system for various reasons and now everyone in this group is paying the price. Despite what some people seem to imply, the world is not awash with people of independent means who want to settle in Thailand but do not fit in one of the existing long term categories.

This pervasive sense of entitlement and constant Thai bashing from people who believe they are being discriminated against is probably the best argument against allowing them to settle here. Judging from comments here, these same people apparently feel they are above the law and should be allowed to do pretty much whatever they please. Who needs more of that type? I'm sure there are some countries that are eager to attract self-indulgent layabouts with spare change in their pockets, including the nanny states some of you have run away from. Why not set up camp in one of those countries? It'll be their gain and our loss ... or at least you can keep telling yourselves that.

Well said Suradit,

It's amazing the amount of whining willy's and moaning murtles on this forum.

Every visa different, extensions can be based on Marriage with 400k in the bank, 800k in the bank buys you a retirement extension, there's various investment options and options to work or study. For the under 50 that wants to do none of the above, Thai elite 5 year/20 year options.

So many options.

If only Thai people could get into foriegn countries so damn easy.

• Like 1

If you're under 50, aren't married to Thai, don't work and don't want to study Thai at a language school, then Thailand doesn't want you - there is no visa class for these people.

I find it amazing that Thailand seems so unwilling to accommodate people who are under 50 who want to stay here for longer than just for a holiday.

Why not have some kind of visa for under 50's, where applicants have to prove they have the necessary funds to support themselves for a year? The authorities could also insist on applicants having valid travel/medical insurance in order to obtain the visa, this way applicants would not eat in to state medical care/finances should they become ill or have an accident during their stay in Thailand.

Finally. Someone making some sense! Not everyone with cash to invest feels it makes any sense to invest it in Thailand! Elite card... Investment visa... Please. cheesy.gif Enjoying the atmosphere or whatever doesn't mean wanting to bury cash in the place!

Hawker,

You are not making any sense. What country are you from? What options are there for Thai people to just rock up, sit around on their donut doing absolutely nothing? I am sure the restrictions there are a lot tougher than here.

Thailand offers many options.

• Like 1

Thailand Elite Members will be granted a Privilege Entry Visa when applying at any

This Privilege Entry Visa is a multiple entry visa which is valid for five years - and is renewable as long as the Membership is valid. The Members are also granted an exclusive extension for each stay from regular 90 days to 1 year without the usual need to cross the border. In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elites Privilege Entry Visa.

And all at the low price of the surrender of your mental faculties. It could work for some no doubt but the immigration office is 20 minutes away and the airport 30. I can do it myself and get a dozen or so paid for breaks in a hotel for less half the price even with flying.

It's just information for those who think that they don't have other options. You clearly do, as do I.

Now im waiting for the answers. In another thread i ask this question and many Grandpas answered. "Get an ED Visa and learn the language", "Thailand not want you here", "Buy the elite card", "Work legally", but there is no way at the moment to stay a longer time 6 month+ in Thailand for people under 50. I dont know why. I have the same problem. Have enough money but not want to buy the expensive elite card.(there can be also problems because a visa is not always a entrie to Thailand even with a elite card)

Marry a Thai national, how easy is that?

• Like 1

And there is your answer, countries typically want a foreigner to "invest something" in the country if the foreigner wants to live in a country long term, if someone doesn't want to "invest" that's fine, but at the same time they shouldn't be demanding that they want the rules changing to suit themselves

The fact is, people can debate and stamp their little feet all they want about "rights" the rules ain't going to change in the foreseeable future and they may in fact get tighter

If Thailand came out with a visa which stated pay us THB 150k/yr if you under 50 and you can stay as long as you want with no restrictions, and visa runs in the 12 month period, you would still have people on here saying how unfair this is, they are being discriminated against, its not fair and stamping their little feet

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

What an absurd sense of entitlement many Westerners have - almost as if they believe Thailand owes them something for flopping here and contributing nothing but a little money to the common wealth. What part of 'it's their country, theirs to make the laws and do as they please' is it difficult to understand?

Go and moan in private to your expat friends, the Thais couldn't care less.

Does it offend you that people of other nationalities choose Thailand as an adopted country or second home? Are you a bigoted xenophobic? Do the local Thais also hate the foreigners living here who contribute BHT 45,000-50,000 per month to the local economy? I don't think so. So, why dont' you go and complain in private a to your xenophobic bigoted friends.

This guy was looking for information. An yes, Thai immigration unusual compared to international standards because every immigration office imposes different rules and requirements. Like, I know one Thai embassy where I can pay double price for a tourist visa and never fill out an application. How crazy is that?

Most western countries won't let you stay more than 6 months no matter what you spend.

Are you suggesting Americans hate foreigners?

• Like 2

Because Thailand is not a refugee camp mandated to take in every person on the planet who thinks he/she needs to be catered to. A lot of the people who fit in this category have abused/circumvented the system for various reasons and now everyone in this group is paying the price. Despite what some people seem to imply, the world is not awash with people of independent means who want to settle in Thailand but do not fit in one of the existing long term categories.

This pervasive sense of entitlement and constant Thai bashing from people who believe they are being discriminated against is probably the best argument against allowing them to settle here. Judging from comments here, these same people apparently feel they are above the law and should be allowed to do pretty much whatever they please. Who needs more of that type? I'm sure there are some countries that are eager to attract self-indulgent layabouts with spare change in their pockets, including the nanny states some of you have run away from. Why not set up camp in one of those countries? It'll be their gain and our loss ... or at least you can keep telling yourselves that.

Well said Suradit,

Every visa different, extensions can be based on Marriage with 400k in the bank, 800k in the bank buys you a retirement extension, there's various investment options and options to work or study. For the under 50 that wants to do none of the above, Thai elite 5 year/20 year options.

So many options.

They CAN! Any spouse of a US Citizen, male or female, gay or straight can get permanent residency in the US. Not only that, it's cheaper than applying for permanent residency in Thailand. No silly retirement based on extension or money tied up that you can't spend.

In fact, the damn application is FREE if you can prove financial hardship, which are assumed to if you make below the federal poverty line!

• Like 1

Hawker,

You are not making any sense. What country are you from? What options are there for Thai people to just rock up, sit around on their donut doing absolutely nothing? I am sure the restrictions there are a lot tougher than here.

Thailand offers many options.

You're the one making no sense. I'm not suggesting that foreigners come to Thailand and live on some sort of welfare... They come; they have the money, they don't work illegally, they pay their way. Any Thai that has the money can do the same thing. What are you babbling about? This topic is about Thailand. If you want to whine & bloviate about some other place on the planet, find the appropriate website and post there. But if you INSIST on talking about where I'm from, it's FULL of illegals living, working, having kids, and receiving benefits on the taxpayer (and in some cases committing crimes and stealing identities) -- illegally. The local police in most states are forbidden to do anything about it.

• Like 1

You're the one making no sense. I'm not suggesting that foreigners come to Thailand and live on some sort of welfare... They come; they have the money, they don't work illegally, they pay their way. Any Thai that has the money can do the same thing. What are you babbling about? This topic is about Thailand. If you want to whine & bloviate about some other place on the planet, find the appropriate website and post there. But if you INSIST on talking about where I'm from, it's FULL of illegals living, working, having kids, and receiving benefits on the taxpayer (and in some cases committing crimes and stealing identities) -- illegally. The local police in most states are forbidden to do anything about it.

You can live here as an illegal too.

Fairly easy I understand.

But this thread is about staying legally.

Well said Suradit,

So many options.

They CAN! Any spouse of a US Citizen, male or female, gay or straight can get permanent residency in the US. Not only that, it's cheaper than applying for permanent residency in Thailand. No silly retirement based on extension or money tied up that you can't spend.

In fact, the damn application is FREE if you can prove financial hardship, which are assumed to if you make below the federal poverty line!

Lets compare apples with apples.

So can a Thai whos under 50, not wanting to work, not wanting to marry, not wanting to invest and just hoping to sit around all day, get a visa to stay forever in the USA.

After that, we can compare, marriage, investment and so forth.

No they can't, your correct people are not comparing apples with apples, they are comparing apples with gerbils

• Like 1

So can a Thai whos under 50, not wanting to work, not wanting to marry, not wanting to invest and just hoping to sit around all day, get a visa to stay forever in the USA.

The US would not have to have a 'stay forever and lay around' visa for it to have better options than the Thai system. And it does.

A ten year multiple entry tourist visa (6 months per entry) is 5280 baht.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-niv-visafeeinfo.asp#VisaTypesandConditionswithNoFeeRequired

Edited by BudRight
  • Like 1

I would like, for once to find a topic where the high and mighty do not, for a change, just tell people to leave if they dont like it. I think what the Thais have overlooked is that the 'bums and bulsh1tters' they are targeting, will find a way around this hurdle. There will be another bent official waiting in the wings somewhere, ready to take their cash to stamp their passports, or help them navigate the new visa entry rules, that's a cert. The people they will be effecting are the 'honest joe's'. Guys who are under 50, have worked hard, have the funds and have chosen to spend it in Thailand over a long period of time, essentially on the Thai people, and their businesses. It will be these guys that shrug the shoulders, and leave to spend it somewhere else, while Thailand will be left with a greater percentage of the tourists, the very they are 'so' desperate to get rid of.

If someone is under 50 and have the "funds" then 500k for a long term visa is not a big ask is it ?

• Like 1

The US would not have to have a 'stay forever and lay around' visa for it to have better options than the Thai system. And it does.

A ten year multiple entry tourist visa (6 months per entry) is 5280 baht.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-niv-visafeeinfo.asp#VisaTypesandConditionswithNoFeeRequired

Yep, alright, goodo, so does Thailand, its more expensive than that, its called Thai elite, its 20 years, double the american one.

Its not tit for tat. Just because Zimbabwe offers one type of visa doesnt mean Thailand has to offer it in return.

Theres already hundreds of thousands of Trashy foreign (Alien) type morons living in Thailand. If anything Thailand should tighten its visa restrictions, tighten them right up and clean the place out. After that time they could re-assess.

Its not uncommon for countries to change conditions for visas and create new visa options, who knows what the future will bring.

• Like 1

Well said Suradit,

So many options.

No they can't, your correct people are not comparing apples with apples, they are comparing apples with gerbils

You're making the argument that as a matter of equity whatever the conditions are for entry to the United States, the same conditions should apply for entry into Thailand. In the first place, that assumes any of us had anything to do with the U.S. rules for entry, or consider them fair or acceptable or appropriate. In the second place, it assumes the rules even SHOULD BE the same everywhere in the world. Many would argue different countries with different circumstances require different rules to secure their borders and accommodate their own domestic policies. All that is bogus: what the U.S. is doing or whether the U.S. is doing it right is neither here not there. These are not valid arguments, and totally irrelevant to the matter at hand, which is:

...that Thailand is demonstrably concerned about illegal foreign workers and actual crimes (being committed by foreigners), and has decided to try to cut down on the these things by "cracking down" on legitimate visitors with longer stay patterns, through arbitrary, inconsistent, confusing and uncertain new practices by immigration officers. Those who AREN'T and HAVE NEVER worked illegally, and certainly not committing crimes, but just enjoy spending their money here - long time & legally - are being caught in this net. Many members here on TV are just confusing the issue with their smugness and sanctimony and god-like knowledge of what a "tourist" should be... The discussion should be about what is in Thailand's best interests; not what the U.S., the UK, or anybody else is doing. A raft of other things you're going to have to talk about besides immigration if you want to compare Thailand & the U.S.!

• Like 2

I would like, for once to find a topic where the high and mighty do not, for a change, just tell people to leave if they dont like it. I think what the Thais have overlooked is that the 'bums and bulsh1tters' they are targeting, will find a way around this hurdle. There will be another bent official waiting in the wings somewhere, ready to take their cash to stamp their passports, or help them navigate the new visa entry rules, that's a cert. The people they will be effecting are the 'honest joe's'. Guys who are under 50, have worked hard, have the funds and have chosen to spend it in Thailand over a long period of time, essentially on the Thai people, and their businesses. It will be these guys that shrug the shoulders, and leave to spend it somewhere else, while Thailand will be left with a greater percentage of the tourists, the very they are 'so' desperate to get rid of.

If someone is under 50 and have the "funds" then 500k for a long term visa is not a big ask is it ?

No Mr Peel, its far from a big ask. Theres options abundant but people would rather sit around moaning, "Poor me, why wont big bad Thailand make a visa specifically for me" .

Thats the problem with people these days, so selfish, everything is about ME ME ME.

Remember the days when you needed to qualify for basic things, well those days are still here, you need to qualify for a visa, the visa doesnt need to qualify for you. f f s.

• Like 1