The options for under-50s who dont want to work in Thailand ?

Lets compare apples with apples.

So can a Thai whos under 50, not wanting to work, not wanting to marry, not wanting to invest and just hoping to sit around all day, get a visa to stay forever in the USA.

After that, we can compare, marriage, investment and so forth.

The US would not have to have a 'stay forever and lay around' visa for it to have better options than the Thai system. And it does.

A ten year multiple entry tourist visa (6 months per entry) is 5280 baht.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-niv-visafeeinfo.asp#VisaTypesandConditionswithNoFeeRequired

Yep, alright, goodo, so does Thailand, its more expensive than that, its called Thai elite, its 20 years, double the american one.

Its not tit for tat. Just because Zimbabwe offers one type of visa doesnt mean Thailand has to offer it in return.

Theres already hundreds of thousands of Trashy foreign (Alien) type morons living in Thailand. If anything Thailand should tighten its visa restrictions, tighten them right up and clean the place out. After that time they could re-assess.

Its not uncommon for countries to change conditions for visas and create new visa options, who knows what the future will bring.

The Elite card costs ten times as much.

Why do you hate Westerners? What happened to you?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a good thing TVF provides a little forum where whiny arsed little moaners who have probably had everything handed to them on a silver platter can come and moan about why things are so unfair. Poor me, this and that.

There is a visa for the OP's original question. He has been advised on what that is. If he doesnt like the condtions or the requirements of the visa he can go to another country that provides the 'Me visa" or whatever it is that he is looking for. Perhaps when he leaves he might like to take Hawker, another individual who has been so hardly done by.

Poor babies.

Now im waiting for the answers. In another thread i ask this question and many Grandpas answered. "Get an ED Visa and learn the language", "Thailand not want you here", "Buy the elite card", "Work legally", but there is no way at the moment to stay a longer time 6 month+ in Thailand for people under 50. I dont know why. I have the same problem. Have enough money but not want to buy the expensive elite card.(there can be also problems because a visa is not always a entrie to Thailand even with a elite card)

Yes, that's the same answer these fossilized geezers can only come up with, over and over again, quite frankly worse than a effin broking record.

I see your point exactly, have well enough to satisfy the monthly / yearly funds required but don't find any of the other options appealing and all that is in the way is this ridiculous again restriction. Does anyone see a difference between a 40 - 49 year old who wont qualify as opposed to a 50+ year old.???

I see no reason why if you can show a decent sum of money they can't at least issue you a 1 entry 90 non-imm visa??

Thailand would most probably benefit much more from the 35 - 49's who would have made it financially if they are returning around this age bracket than the majority 50+ living on a measly pension.

I think immigration have reacted to the rudeness of the "young & restless" .. and I applaud them for it. tongue.png

I would like, for once to find a topic where the high and mighty do not, for a change, just tell people to leave if they dont like it. I think what the Thais have overlooked is that the 'bums and bulsh1tters' they are targeting, will find a way around this hurdle. There will be another bent official waiting in the wings somewhere, ready to take their cash to stamp their passports, or help them navigate the new visa entry rules, that's a cert. The people they will be effecting are the 'honest joe's'. Guys who are under 50, have worked hard, have the funds and have chosen to spend it in Thailand over a long period of time, essentially on the Thai people, and their businesses. It will be these guys that shrug the shoulders, and leave to spend it somewhere else, while Thailand will be left with a greater percentage of the tourists, the very they are 'so' desperate to get rid of.

If someone is under 50 and have the "funds" then 500k for a long term visa is not a big ask is it ?

No its not, but a lot of people in this position, i guess, will just pack it in, and with all the other <deleted> that has gone on, wont need too much more encouragement to jump . There are plenty of countries now which offer the same and more than Thailand, and actually make you feel welcome at the same time. If i was a single man living here, i would have gone by now and given probably given somewhere like South America a whirl

• Like 1

I would like, for once to find a topic where the high and mighty do not, for a change, just tell people to leave if they dont like it. I think what the Thais have overlooked is that the 'bums and bulsh1tters' they are targeting, will find a way around this hurdle. There will be another bent official waiting in the wings somewhere, ready to take their cash to stamp their passports, or help them navigate the new visa entry rules, that's a cert. The people they will be effecting are the 'honest joe's'. Guys who are under 50, have worked hard, have the funds and have chosen to spend it in Thailand over a long period of time, essentially on the Thai people, and their businesses. It will be these guys that shrug the shoulders, and leave to spend it somewhere else, while Thailand will be left with a greater percentage of the tourists, the very they are 'so' desperate to get rid of.

If someone is under 50 and have the "funds" then 500k for a long term visa is not a big ask is it ?

No its not, but a lot of people in this position, i guess, will just pack it in, and with all the other <deleted> that has gone on, wont need too much more encouragement to jump . There are plenty of countries now which offer the same and more than Thailand, and actually make you feel welcome at the same time. If i was a single man living here, i would have gone by now and given probably given somewhere like South America a whirl

Yeah - I seem to recall we had a lot of that 'I'd be on a plane next week' talk when the pound plummeted towards 40 baht 18 or so months back - a few went back to Old Blighty but I dont recall anyone posting to say they were having a ball in South America - not sure if they have the internet down there but a postcard would have been nice ;)

Thailand Elite Card http://www.thailandelite.com

Thailand Elite Members will be granted a “Privilege Entry Visa” when applying at any

Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate-General, or at the Thai Immigration Bureau at

Suvarnabhumi, Chiang Mai and Phuket International Airport.

This “Privilege Entry Visa” is a multiple entry visa which is valid for five years - and is renewable as long as the Membership is valid. The Members are also granted an exclusive extension for each stay from regular 90 days to 1 year without the usual need to cross the border. In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elite’s Privilege Entry Visa.

Thailand Elite also provides the Members the unlimited Elite Personal Liaison to present to Thai Immigration Bureau Chaengwattana, Bangkok in place of the Members as in the 90-day obligation issued by Thai Immigration Bureau without additional charge*.

The Members can also complete the Privilege Entry Visa renewal at Immigration Bureau Offices at Suvarnabhumi International airport upon arrival, or Chaengwattana-Bangkok and 90-day presence by themselves at any available Thai Immigration Bureau offices throughout Thailand.

Just an FYI the last one went broke with this one being the replacement. I would also like to mention that in the fine print it says the visa terms can be modified at any time without your consent...... so maybe you get 5 years maybe you get 6 months... who knows.

EDITED to add link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/464060-thailand-elite-card-closes-down-to-the-tunes-of-25-billion-baht/

Kurt

Edited by kbelyeu

"FACT: Most countries around the world have visa restrictions. Thailands are far from the most difficult to meet."

Philippines have a Permanent Resident Visa, which is available for 35+ applicants. It is a LIFETIME visa, you never report, visit immigration, get an exit or re-entry permit. You deposit money in a Bank Term Deposit, and pay the visa fee as well.

That sounds pretty good to me.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The seriously cashed up visa you refer to only works out to 100k per year and if you deduct things like Airfares, Visas, Visa runs and all the associated whohaaa, it seems like a cheap visa really.

100k per year is only about 3k usd and if you deduct about 2k for all the above mentioned whohaa, then you've bought yourself a visa for only a couple of thousand baht per month and a whole lot less drama Im not sure this calculates as seriously CASHED UP.

Else wise, it would seem, Thailand does not want people that fall into the under 50, no cash and no job type and not wanting to study unless they are just visiting on a tourist visa, once or twice.

When you have the funds to stay many years here without work or study. And you are younger than 50. Why not go for the Elite card 5 year visa. Yes it's 500k. But it will maybe save you from doing 30 visa and border runs. Those would also cost a lot of money

I'd always be concerned with this kind of visa that it could be taken away on a whim. You're not paying for the visa, you're paying for the Elite card of which the visa is a benefit - it states in the small print it's discretionary. My guess if that bonus was taken away there would be no refunds.

Lets compare apples with apples.

So can a Thai whos under 50, not wanting to work, not wanting to marry, not wanting to invest and just hoping to sit around all day, get a visa to stay forever in the USA.

After that, we can compare, marriage, investment and so forth.

The US would not have to have a 'stay forever and lay around' visa for it to have better options than the Thai system. And it does.

A ten year multiple entry tourist visa (6 months per entry) is 5280 baht.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-niv-visafeeinfo.asp#VisaTypesandConditionswithNoFeeRequired

Maximum length stay, in the US, on this VISA is 6 months in any one year.

Thailand Elite Card http://www.thailandelite.com

Thailand Elite Members will be granted a “Privilege Entry Visa” when applying at any

Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate-General, or at the Thai Immigration Bureau at

Suvarnabhumi, Chiang Mai and Phuket International Airport.

This “Privilege Entry Visa” is a multiple entry visa which is valid for five years - and is renewable as long as the Membership is valid. The Members are also granted an exclusive extension for each stay from regular 90 days to 1 year without the usual need to cross the border. In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elite’s Privilege Entry Visa.

Thailand Elite also provides the Members the unlimited Elite Personal Liaison to present to Thai Immigration Bureau Chaengwattana, Bangkok in place of the Members as in the 90-day obligation issued by Thai Immigration Bureau without additional charge*.

The Members can also complete the Privilege Entry Visa renewal at Immigration Bureau Offices at Suvarnabhumi International airport upon arrival, or Chaengwattana-Bangkok and 90-day presence by themselves at any available Thai Immigration Bureau offices throughout Thailand.

Just an FYI the last one went broke with this one being the replacement. I would also like to mention that in the fine print it says the visa terms can be modified at any time without your consent...... so maybe you get 5 years maybe you get 6 months... who knows.

EDITED to add link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/464060-thailand-elite-card-closes-down-to-the-tunes-of-25-billion-baht/

Kurt

OK so now direct me to the link which shows how many people lost their visa privileges under the original scheme ?......my recollection was none did

So stop posting misinformation, you have a better chance getting through 5 years on the new TE card than you have marrying a BG to get a visa and the TE card we will be cheaper once the divorce comes through

• Like 1

"FACT: Most countries around the world have visa restrictions. Thailands are far from the most difficult to meet."

Philippines have a Permanent Resident Visa, which is available for 35+ applicants. It is a LIFETIME visa, you never report, visit immigration, get an exit or re-entry permit. You deposit money in a Bank Term Deposit, and pay the visa fee as well.

That sounds pretty good to me.

Biggles. Tally ho old chap but stop talking crap Thailand's are some of the easiest in the world

The seriously cashed up visa you refer to only works out to 100k per year and if you deduct things like Airfares, Visas, Visa runs and all the associated whohaaa, it seems like a cheap visa really.

100k per year is only about 3k usd and if you deduct about 2k for all the above mentioned whohaa, then you've bought yourself a visa for only a couple of thousand baht per month and a whole lot less drama Im not sure this calculates as seriously CASHED UP.

Else wise, it would seem, Thailand does not want people that fall into the under 50, no cash and no job type and not wanting to study unless they are just visiting on a tourist visa, once or twice.

When you have the funds to stay many years here without work or study. And you are younger than 50. Why not go for the Elite card 5 year visa. Yes it's 500k. But it will maybe save you from doing 30 visa and border runs. Those would also cost a lot of money

I'd always be concerned with this kind of visa that it could be taken away on a whim. You're not paying for the visa, you're paying for the Elite card of which the visa is a benefit - it states in the small print it's discretionary. My guess if that bonus was taken away there would be no refunds.

Any sort of visa can be taken away at a whim, let me ask a question when you got married did you sign a prenupt ?....same thing you pays ya money you takes the chance ?

What an absurd sense of entitlement many Westerners have - almost as if they believe Thailand owes them something for flopping here and contributing nothing but a little money to the common wealth. What part of 'it's their country, theirs to make the laws and do as they please' is it difficult to understand?

Go and moan in private to your expat friends, the Thais couldn't care less.

Does it offend you that people of other nationalities choose Thailand as an adopted country or second home? Are you a bigoted xenophobic? Do the local Thais also hate the foreigners living here who contribute BHT 45,000-50,000 per month to the local economy? I don't think so. So, why dont' you go and complain in private a to your xenophobic bigoted friends.

This guy was looking for information. An yes, Thai immigration unusual compared to international standards because every immigration office imposes different rules and requirements. Like, I know one Thai embassy where I can pay double price for a tourist visa and never fill out an application. How crazy is that?

45000 - 55000 a month?!!! Is that on rice and water diet? Golf alone is more than that.....what about the young ladies, a few drinks, car, bike, food....hmm.....maybe you mean 145,000, that's more like it

How can it be that so many people here on TV have so much money that they can retire when they are 25 to 40 years old. But no one can afford the Elite card/visa for 500k ?

Exactly, I think Thai immigration are a lot smarter than people give them credit for, people hopping the border all the time, living in Thailand with no visible means of income

As some said earlier this visa crackdown doesn't really impact "genuine tourists " they know exactly the demographic of the people they are targeting

• Like 2

Hi,

I have seen that some new rules are coming out mid august for immigration.. Why don't thai visa lawyers try to contact authorities and try to get amended the 50 years old clause. I do think it is not bad for Thai economy having people spending money there and it is proved all over the world that young people spend more than older ones..

I live for the moment in Argentina and they have this " rentista" visa in which they ask for a proof or monthly regular incomes and you can get it whatever your age is..

Would be interesting to know why Thailand gives such an age limit

Have a nice week end..

Hi,

I have seen that some new rules are coming out mid august for immigration.. Why don't thai visa lawyers try to contact authorities and try to get amended the 50 years old clause. I do think it is not bad for Thai economy having people spending money there and it is proved all over the world that young people spend more than older ones..

I live for the moment in Argentina and they have this " rentista" visa in which they ask for a proof or monthly regular incomes and you can get it whatever your age is..

Would be interesting to know why Thailand gives such an age limit

Have a nice week end..

I don't think you are right (in Thailand) when say young people spend more than the older ones. Most of the young people here are on a much tighter budget than the older people. And their homes are much cheaper also. Most of the younger people that I meet here are either teachers or working on-line/internet. And to be fair, most of those have a rather low salary

• Like 1

Hi,

The subject is getting a visa without working.. so I am speaking obviously of people under 50 years old, who can justifiy incomes in other countries than Thailand bringing them incomes over 65.000 bahts per month, not about young people working there on low salary bases..

It is obvious that is you have 50.000 bahts salary and have to pay a rent, there won't be a lot left to spend.. My point was, if a young guy has incomes out of Thailande over 65.000 bahts per month, he will obviously spend more than an elderly person above 50 and the difference still increases when you go for people above 60 and over..

My point is, why this 50 years limit.. Would be good for Thailand (and any country) to have people coming to spend money there and bringing money from abroad..

Then the point is not to know "how can young people have such incomes".. The fact is that, if they have, they can't stay for a long time in Thailand if they want to.. Then young people can have money coming from inheritance etc.. Clear, Thailand is free to choose his own immigration rules.. But I think would be interesting to know why this 50 years limit (let me remember that it was 55 years before 2000)

Have a nice week end..

Hi,

The subject is getting a visa without working.. so I am speaking obviously of people under 50 years old, who can justifiy incomes in other countries than Thailand bringing them incomes over 65.000 bahts per month, not about young people working there on low salary bases..

It is obvious that is you have 50.000 bahts salary and have to pay a rent, there won't be a lot left to spend.. My point was, if a young guy has incomes out of Thailande over 65.000 bahts per month, he will obviously spend more than an elderly person above 50 and the difference still increases when you go for people above 60 and over..

My point is, why this 50 years limit.. Would be good for Thailand (and any country) to have people coming to spend money there and bringing money from abroad..

Then the point is not to know "how can young people have such incomes".. The fact is that, if they have, they can't stay for a long time in Thailand if they want to.. Then young people can have money coming from inheritance etc.. Clear, Thailand is free to choose his own immigration rules.. But I think would be interesting to know why this 50 years limit (let me remember that it was 55 years before 2000)

Have a nice week end..

If they live here all the time already when they are rather young, how can they have salary/income from other countries ? I don't belive many young people have that without working. And why would a young guy with 65k+ income OBVIOUSLY spend more than an elderly person? A normal pension from my home country is a lot more than 65k. And most people also have savings to spend when they get older.

Edited by bangkoklasse

Now im waiting for the answers. In another thread i ask this question and many Grandpas answered. "Get an ED Visa and learn the language", "Thailand not want you here", "Buy the elite card", "Work legally", but there is no way at the moment to stay a longer time 6 month+ in Thailand for people under 50. I dont know why. I have the same problem. Have enough money but not want to buy the expensive elite card.(there can be also problems because a visa is not always a entrie to Thailand even with a elite card)

The first thing you might do is get some manners.....................those "Grandpas" were only trying to help you.

I don't say a lot have, I say some people may have.. These incomes can be rents of properties they have abroad, interests of money placed in banks etc... I am talking of 65.000 bahts because it is the amount required for retiree visa.. Coud be 80 if you think this amount is compulsory to have a good life in Thailand (remembering you that not anyone has a rent to pay, and a foreigner can purchase a condo in Thailand..)

Then the point is recognized by all economists.. At equal revenues young people spend more than elderly ones.. only because they go out more, go more on trips etc.. Again I am speaking about a higher class of the society obviously.. and regarding the toping which is "the options for under 50's..."

Have a nice week end

• Like 1

Hi

For example in the french system, people living abroad can get the health insurance, paying by trimestre a fee calculated upon their incomes (work or whatever income as rents, bank interests etc..)

But what you say about thais' feelings regarding younger people can be right.. It would be interesting to know why they have this policy anyway... It is not a point saying they can live in Thailand forever, as they would like all other categories, have to renew their visa every year proving they still are entitled to the same visa, proving they still have the required incomes..

Then if it is a policy against young people for the reasons you give, why do they give easily student visas (obviously to some people who are not real students, or use this visa to be able to live in Thailand).. and why do they in fact through the elite card give this permission of stay.. because those people could have the same way of acting you describe and which according to you can explain the choice of 50 years as a minimum..

By the way how many years can someone be on student visas.. I saw somewhere there is no real time limit, and I thought it was 3 years..

Have a nice week end

And where i can stay for 6 month in my home country when i not have anything there ?! Always i hear "oh in the USA you also can not stay for a long time" Why not say "oh in cambodia you buy a business visa and can stay for 1 year without a problem???!!!" Not all countries have tight visa rules. Why Thailand do it now and not before ?

What is so gobsmackingly great about Thailand that one HAS to be here more than 6 months of the year?

The climate is the same as Cambodia, maybe the food is arguably better than Cambodia but the booze is more expensive than Cambodia and rents here are higher than Cambodia. It's less crowded in Cambodia too. I believe Cambodia is real close to Thailand as well, easy to get to and back from. I have heard that generally Cambodian visas and their whole immigration experience beats Thailand's hands down. Maybe it's all about the poon after all.... but Cambodia also has that in scads.

Now, if anyone has totally sold up, burned their bridges or otherwise forsaken their homeland, then that's their choice, bad luck or misfortune. However, it is absolutely no reason why they should expect and easy pass in any other country that they happen to fall in love with like.

Nice subject by the way and hoping that it attracts some real and viable options for those that really want to squander their more productive years in a corrupt, feudal backwater..

PS. Anyone interested in a Cambodian time-share deal?

If you're under 50, aren't married to Thai, don't work and don't want to study Thai at a language school, then Thailand doesn't want you - there is no visa class for these people.

I find it amazing that Thailand seems so unwilling to accommodate people who are under 50 who want to stay here for longer than just for a holiday.

Why not have some kind of visa for under 50's, where applicants have to prove they have the necessary funds to support themselves for a year? The authorities could also insist on applicants having valid travel/medical insurance in order to obtain the visa, this way applicants would not eat in to state medical care/finances should they become ill or have an accident during their stay in Thailand.

Great idea------- we'll let you know as soon as it happenscoffee1.gif

What an absurd sense of entitlement many Westerners have - almost as if they believe Thailand owes them something for flopping here and contributing nothing but a little money to the common wealth. What part of 'it's their country, theirs to make the laws and do as they please' is it difficult to understand?

Go and moan in private to your expat friends, the Thais couldn't care less.

It was quite generous of you make a blanket statement about Westerners and the feeling they may have of entitlement to having Thailand as a Satellite homeland for their recreation and relaxation. A common term used by the Military doing the Viet Nam police action. Afraid to say the U.S.A. created Thailand as an R & R destination and the corruption of the people began. ENTITLEMENT worldwide I must also lay at the feet of the American People who buy into the powers that be propaganda about the all mighty all powerful U.S.A. world police.