The options for under-50s who dont want to work in Thailand ?

Those who complain about the difficulty of staying here and implying that they have some sort of "right" to do so, should consider the plight of Thais who can not stay in thier respective country, even if they have money.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now im waiting for the answers. In another thread i ask this question and many Grandpas answered. "Get an ED Visa and learn the language", "Thailand not want you here", "Buy the elite card", "Work legally", but there is no way at the moment to stay a longer time 6 month+ in Thailand for people under 50. I dont know why. I have the same problem. Have enough money but not want to buy the expensive elite card.(there can be also problems because a visa is not always a entrie to Thailand even with a elite card)

Yes, that's the same answer these fossilized geezers can only come up with, over and over again, quite frankly worse than a effin broking record.

I see your point exactly, have well enough to satisfy the monthly / yearly funds required but don't find any of the other options appealing and all that is in the way is this ridiculous again restriction. Does anyone see a difference between a 40 - 49 year old who wont qualify as opposed to a 50+ year old.???

I see no reason why if you can show a decent sum of money they can't at least issue you a 1 entry 90 non-imm visa??

Thailand would most probably benefit much more from the 35 - 49's who would have made it financially if they are returning around this age bracket than the majority 50+ living on a measly pension.

WOW! How crasss your comment was regarding the over 50's not benefiting Thailand because they are living on measly pensions. Oh Contraire! Scribber of ill will. Just look on the TV ads on here most of the luxury houses and condo's for sale were or are owned by the over 50 crowd who also own restaurants and bars here as well. Many marry and begin construction right away of what could be likened to mansions in their home countries and many more begin the commercialization of the farmland never used before by the families or villages they adopt. GET REAL.

What an absurd sense of entitlement many Westerners have - almost as if they believe Thailand owes them something for flopping here and contributing nothing but a little money to the common wealth. What part of 'it's their country, theirs to make the laws and do as they please' is it difficult to understand?

Go and moan in private to your expat friends, the Thais couldn't care less.

Does it offend you that people of other nationalities choose Thailand as an adopted country or second home? Are you a bigoted xenophobic? Do the local Thais also hate the foreigners living here who contribute BHT 45,000-50,000 per month to the local economy? I don't think so. So, why dont' you go and complain in private a to your xenophobic bigoted friends.

This guy was looking for information. An yes, Thai immigration unusual compared to international standards because every immigration office imposes different rules and requirements. Like, I know one Thai embassy where I can pay double price for a tourist visa and never fill out an application. How crazy is that?

Most western countries won't let you stay more than 6 months no matter what you spend.

Are you suggesting Americans hate foreigners?

YES both incoming foreigners and foreign countries they visit with their holier than thou view of the world.

And where i can stay for 6 month in my home country when i not have anything there ?! Always i hear "oh in the USA you also can not stay for a long time" Why not say "oh in cambodia you buy a business visa and can stay for 1 year without a problem???!!!" Not all countries have tight visa rules. Why Thailand do it now and not before ?

Because Thailand is not a refugee camp mandated to take in every person on the planet who thinks he/she needs to be catered to. A lot of the people who fit in this category have abused/circumvented the system for various reasons and now everyone in this group is paying the price. Despite what some people seem to imply, the world is not awash with people of independent means who want to settle in Thailand but do not fit in one of the existing long term categories.

This pervasive sense of entitlement and constant Thai bashing from people who believe they are being discriminated against is probably the best argument against allowing them to settle here. Judging from comments here, these same people apparently feel they are above the law and should be allowed to do pretty much whatever they please. Who needs more of that type? I'm sure there are some countries that are eager to attract self-indulgent layabouts with spare change in their pockets, including the nanny states some of you have run away from. Why not set up camp in one of those countries? It'll be their gain and our loss ... or at least you can keep telling yourselves that.

Well said Suradit,

It's amazing the amount of whining willy's and moaning murtles on this forum.

Every visa different, extensions can be based on Marriage with 400k in the bank, 800k in the bank buys you a retirement extension, there's various investment options and options to work or study. For the under 50 that wants to do none of the above, Thai elite 5 year/20 year options.

So many options.

If only Thai people could get into foriegn countries so damn easy.

They CAN! Any spouse of a US Citizen, male or female, gay or straight can get permanent residency in the US. Not only that, it's cheaper than applying for permanent residency in Thailand. No silly retirement based on extension or money tied up that you can't spend.

In fact, the damn application is FREE if you can prove financial hardship, which are assumed to if you make below the federal poverty line!

Why include refugees in your blanket statement. It is not cheap as the same medical , police checks and more than a year of waiting to green card and there is no way a burden to the state will be accepted unless the U>S. accidentally bombed their house in one of their war theaters. Still a refugee and the UN demands countries accept a quota per year.

What an absurd sense of entitlement many Westerners have - almost as if they believe Thailand owes them something for flopping here and contributing nothing but a little money to the common wealth. What part of 'it's their country, theirs to make the laws and do as they please' is it difficult to understand?

Does it offend you that people of other nationalities choose Thailand as an adopted country or second home? Are you a bigoted xenophobic? Do the local Thais also hate the foreigners living here who contribute BHT 45,000-50,000 per month to the local economy? I don't think so. So, why dont' you go and complain in private a to your xenophobic bigoted friends.

This guy was looking for information. An yes, Thai immigration unusual compared to international standards because every immigration office imposes different rules and requirements. Like, I know one Thai embassy where I can pay double price for a tourist visa and never fill out an application. How crazy is that?

45000 - 55000 a month?!!! Is that on rice and water diet? Golf alone is more than that.....what about the young ladies, a few drinks, car, bike, food....hmm.....maybe you mean 145,000, that's more like it

Ridiculous comment from a party boy who the condemnation of all on these last 4 pages is about.

Family man in his own home/lservices with his own car/truck finds 45k to 55k ample.

45000 - 55000 a month?!!! Is that on rice and water diet? Golf alone is more than that.....what about the young ladies, a few drinks, car, bike, food....hmm.....maybe you mean 145,000, that's more like it

So why don't you buy the Elite card visa then. If spending 145k every month that card id just peanuts

I don't say a lot have, I say some people may have.. These incomes can be rents of properties they have abroad, interests of money placed in banks etc... I am talking of 65.000 bahts because it is the amount required for retiree visa.. Coud be 80 if you think this amount is compulsory to have a good life in Thailand (remembering you that not anyone has a rent to pay, and a foreigner can purchase a condo in Thailand..)

Then the point is recognized by all economists.. At equal revenues young people spend more than elderly ones.. only because they go out more, go more on trips etc.. Again I am speaking about a higher class of the society obviously.. and regarding the toping which is "the options for under 50's..."

Have a nice week end

If so many young people have a lot of money, and they also like to spend a lot more money than 50+ people. Why don't they buy the 500k Elite card? If the have plenty of money and can retire when they are 30 or 40, this card only cost peanuts for them.

I think it is no way discussing further when I see some of the comments.. Just remember, the subject was if possible to get a long term visa being under 50..

I thought english language forums were at better level than french ones.. When I see some comments and answers, I can see the level is exactly the same..

Have a good week end

I think it is no way discussing further when I see some of the comments.. Just remember, the subject was if possible to get a long term visa being under 50..

I thought english language forums were at better level than french ones.. When I see some comments and answers, I can see the level is exactly the same..

Have a good week end

That question have already been answered 20 times in this thread. YES it's possible to get a long term visa being under 50. Edited by larsjohnsson

i agree,

some come here and expect thailand to just change everything so they can stay here,

why would you think they should do this,?

please explain,?

the visa laws are clear, if you dont have the funds dont come,

I'm almost with you on this one, but I'd say that last line a little differently:

The visa laws are clear. If you can't, (or don't want to) pay the price, don't expect to stay longer than you've paid for.

Because it seems like a lot of these guys are loaded up with cash, but they don't want to part with any of it to get legal here.

Met an American guy years ago and he was complaining about not getting the visa he wanted, he explained they would not give him a non-o for retirement because he didn't have a bank account in Thailand but he had the money in New York, he only got a tourist visa. I said gives you the same as a non-o for 90 days but I do not want to leave the country are go to immigration. He, says I do not understand I have the money but I says it is in New York the rules say in Thailand but he says I am special, he didn't say literally but you get the idea. I finally stopped talking to the guy and found out later he was kicked out of the monastery where we met. Just another guy who wanted to be treated special but really wasn't.

Have a good week end

That question have already been answered 20 times in this thread. YES it's possible to get s long term visa being under 50.

Yes there are ways but only if they suit me and then I want the rules changed for me hehehehehe. These are the same people who will complain because I follow the rules and live my life in Thailand they way I want. Boys get a life find another place you will be happy at with easier visa rules. Thailand will not be changing there rules for you

Now we can talk long time about this but we can not change anything at the moment. We have to wait what happens on 12 august. I think after a few month the immigration officers get tired to ask anybody about what they do. About onward flight tickets. About money in cash. Its all more work for them to ask us about this. Its easier for them to give us the stamp and move on. Only time will tell.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

I would like, for once to find a topic where the high and mighty do not, for a change, just tell people to leave if they dont like it. I think what the Thais have overlooked is that the 'bums and bulsh1tters' they are targeting, will find a way around this hurdle. There will be another bent official waiting in the wings somewhere, ready to take their cash to stamp their passports, or help them navigate the new visa entry rules, that's a cert. The people they will be effecting are the 'honest joe's'. Guys who are under 50, have worked hard, have the funds and have chosen to spend it in Thailand over a long period of time, essentially on the Thai people, and their businesses. It will be these guys that shrug the shoulders, and leave to spend it somewhere else, while Thailand will be left with a greater percentage of the tourists, the very they are 'so' desperate to get rid of.

If someone is under 50 and have the "funds" then 500k for a long term visa is not a big ask is it ?

No its not, but a lot of people in this position, i guess, will just pack it in, and with all the other <deleted> that has gone on, wont need too much more encouragement to jump . There are plenty of countries now which offer the same and more than Thailand, and actually make you feel welcome at the same time. If i was a single man living here, i would have gone by now and given probably given somewhere like South America a whirl

Yeah - I seem to recall we had a lot of that 'I'd be on a plane next week' talk when the pound plummeted towards 40 baht 18 or so months back - a few went back to Old Blighty but I dont recall anyone posting to say they were having a ball in South America - not sure if they have the internet down there but a postcard would have been nice wink.png

Yes well unfortunately for you that wasn't me, and my decision to stay here has never been swayed by the the strength of any particular currency, but due to the fact I have built a family here, and have always felt duty bound to stay here. Maybe I only follow particular threads like this due to boredom, but unfortunately that is what I have been reduced to, but thanks for your 7/11 input mr 'worldwide', I would love you to give me some input on South America, because as being worldwide, you must be the man in the know. Personally, I actually spent 9 months in Cuba a few years ago with work, and it certainly gave me a different perspective and a thought that yes, the grass is sometimes always greener. But now with my family here, I am tired and soon am moving back to 'blighty' as you call it with the family, because after 10 years here, there is nothing more for me in the land of smiling assassins, and a 500k visa certainly isnt a deal breaker. ....... But then again, after reading your post and thinking about it , now In fact you have now totally swung my opinion. I now agree that Thailand is the greatest place on earth, and there is nothing else on this planet for me or anyone else. My only concern though, is if immigration bring in new visa laws to deny total access to Thailand for sanctimonious old pr!cks, because I think we would then both have to abandon ship. Enjoy your 2 large Leo's tomorrow mate.

• Like 1

Have a good week end

That question have already been answered 20 times in this thread. YES it's possible to get s long term visa being under 50.

Yes there are ways but only if they suit me and then I want the rules changed for me hehehehehe. These are the same people who will complain because I follow the rules and live my life in Thailand they way I want. Boys get a life find another place you will be happy at with easier visa rules. Thailand will not be changing there rules for you

Those who make the immigration rules in LOS may feel there's already more than enough foreigners in Thailand causing trouble, negatively influencing the culture & using up the "natural resources" of Siam to the loss of its rightful citizens.

They have to draw the lines somewhere. Can't just say "come one, come all, stay as long as you like, forever if you want, there are no rules for entering the country & living here".

They already have a huge tourism industry as well as many other foreigners in the country on various types & lengths of temporary permits, visas & such. They don't seem too interested lately in encouraging an increase in those numbers. The trend appears to be towards discouragement & quality visitors instead.

If you can't afford the 500k for the 5y visa, how the hell are you going to live that 5y without working ? Just sayin'.

You don't get it, do you? HAVING the cash, and wanting to just bury it in Thailand, are two entirely different things. If we were that stupid, we probably wouldn't HAVE the cash in the 1st place.

• Like 2

Who says you cannot stay more than 6 months. There have been reports this week of people getting their 2nd and 3rd two entry tourist visas in Vientiane.

You can still stay on tourist visas. You might have to show the money on entry or be questioned about what you are doing here. They are looking for people that are working here illegally not a person that has the money to stay.

Have seen some reports of a very few people being turned back with tourist visas but they have been 2nd and 3rd hand reports with little info.

The best way to stay here on tourist visas is to go farther away get your visas. A trip home once in while to get one looks good in your history.

Agreed, I've been living in Bangkok for 7 years and every three months I leave the country and a have a few days in S'pore, KL, HK or wherever, and while there submit my passport to the Thai consulate for a new tourists visa and I have never been turned away. I am currently in Toronto and about a week ago paid for triple-entry visa at the local Thai consulate. I've never known anywhere that offers triple entry before but they were fine about it. Just hope it works when I get to my third one! I work freelance so my income comes from to different organizations outside Thailand, and although I'm not rich, but I earn roughly 200, 000 baht so I don't think I'd be viewed as a potential overstayer or drain on their medical services or anything...I don't know.

If you can't afford the 500k for the 5y visa, how the hell are you going to live that 5y without working ? Just sayin'.

You don't get it, do you? HAVING the cash, and wanting to just bury it in Thailand, are two entirely different things. If we were that stupid, we probably wouldn't HAVE the cash in the 1st place.

Yep. I spend 10 months a year on holiday in Thailand. As a holidaymaker the correct visa for me is a tourist visa. With extensions etc. the total cost is around 25k (Baht) a year though these days I tend to fly somewhere and spend a few days to active a new entry. With flights and hotel bills the annual cost would be under 50k. Why would I want to pay over double the amount and still have to pay for flights and hotel if I fancied a break? It's a no brainer.

Who says you cannot stay more than 6 months. There have been reports this week of people getting their 2nd and 3rd two entry tourist visas in Vientiane.

You can still stay on tourist visas. You might have to show the money on entry or be questioned about what you are doing here. They are looking for people that are working here illegally not a person that has the money to stay.

Have seen some reports of a very few people being turned back with tourist visas but they have been 2nd and 3rd hand reports with little info.

The best way to stay here on tourist visas is to go farther away get your visas. A trip home once in while to get one looks good in your history.

Agreed, I've been living in Bangkok for 7 years and every three months I leave the country and a have a few days in S'pore, KL, HK or wherever, and while there submit my passport to the Thai consulate for a new tourists visa and I have never been turned away. I am currently in Toronto and about a week ago paid for triple-entry visa at the local Thai consulate. I've never known anywhere that offers triple entry before but they were fine about it. Just hope it works when I get to my third one! I work freelance so my income comes from to different organizations outside Thailand, and although I'm not rich, but I earn roughly 200, 000 baht so I don't think I'd be viewed as a potential overstayer or drain on their medical services or anything...I don't know.

You're living in Thailand on tourist visas.

What an absurd sense of enfamily ent many Westerners have - almost as if they believe Thailand owes them something for flopping here and contributing nothing but a little money to the common wealth. What part of 'it's their country, theirs to make the laws and do as they please' is it difficult to understand?

The OP doesnt say or implied they feel 'entitled'. Your reply just smacks of bias and prejudice. The OP just observes its harder for under 50's who want to stay longer, to do that.

Why westerners want to stay, and we're all the same, have the same emotions no matter east or west, north or south, African or English ... is usually because we've found a good girl ... which isn't easy to find amongst a large percentage of girls here that just use their body to make baht. And because of these human feelings we provide not only our girl with food, a better place to live and respect and love, but her children too, her parents, grandparents and other family.

As to saying Thais couldn't care less ... that's b&llshit and shows this replier for what he/she is. The girls and they're families definitely care and are very thankful. They support and care for their 'Western' men, who care for and support them. They respect our loyalty and strength, and we respect their support and tenderness. It's a known fact (see recent University studies) that Thai men are the least loyal men ... on the planet. There's no wondering why these good Thai girls prefer then, 'western' men.

Thailand cares, mate.

It CARES that westerners bring values about relationships and family that studies show, a majority of Thai men don't get yet.

It CARES that 'westerners' support Thai girls and their children and families and improve their standard of living.

IT CARES that 'westerners' bring much financial support to Thailand as a whole.

It CARES that many 'westerners' love Thailand, it's good girls, and are here to help and raise living standards.

It CARES many 'westerners' come being quite educated, open minded and pass these qualities on to our girls and her children ... because we 'westerners and many great Thais, appreciate and understand we all can win, together, if our prejudices don't make us unhappy little whingers who probably don't contribute much morally, spiritually or financially, to Thailand in the ways I've discussed.

@DavidBensen, we see Thailand through very different eyes, and its ironic that I'm often accused of being a Thai apologist, but this country is still streets ahead of its neighbours on so many levels. In any case, that's a different topic for another thread - the main reason I started this thread was to try to explore the options for a group of people who are clearly frustrated, Unfortunately, it degenerated somewhat, but you've given that post far more attention than it deserves. Spend some time in General Topics and you'll quickly realise that there are people here that enjoy a good keyboard war and they delight in goading anyone with a rosy view of the Thai people. I'm happy the you're happy, but I fear you may have stumbled into a minefield on this one.

Thailand Elite Card http://www.thailandelite.com

Thailand Elite Members will be granted a “Privilege Entry Visa” when applying at any

Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate-General, or at the Thai Immigration Bureau at

Suvarnabhumi, Chiang Mai and Phuket International Airport.

This “Privilege Entry Visa” is a multiple entry visa which is valid for five years - and is renewable as long as the Membership is valid. The Members are also granted an exclusive extension for each stay from regular 90 days to 1 year without the usual need to cross the border. In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elite’s Privilege Entry Visa.

Thailand Elite also provides the Members the unlimited Elite Personal Liaison to present to Thai Immigration Bureau Chaengwattana, Bangkok in place of the Members as in the 90-day obligation issued by Thai Immigration Bureau without additional charge*.

The Members can also complete the Privilege Entry Visa renewal at Immigration Bureau Offices at Suvarnabhumi International airport upon arrival, or Chaengwattana-Bangkok and 90-day presence by themselves at any available Thai Immigration Bureau offices throughout Thailand.

Just an FYI the last one went broke with this one being the replacement. I would also like to mention that in the fine print it says the visa terms can be modified at any time without your consent...... so maybe you get 5 years maybe you get 6 months... who knows.

EDITED to add link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/464060-thailand-elite-card-closes-down-to-the-tunes-of-25-billion-baht/

Kurt

OK so now direct me to the link which shows how many people lost their visa privileges under the original scheme ?......my recollection was none did

So stop posting misinformation, you have a better chance getting through 5 years on the new TE card than you have marrying a BG to get a visa and the TE card we will be cheaper once the divorce comes through

Only pointed out that the original program went tits up (with link included) and it certainly is possible again and who knows what the results would be? Also have you bothered to read the fine print that states the visa status is subject to change... The visa privilege conditions, extension periods, and fees (THB 1,900) are subject to change by Royal Thai government policies and the Thai Immigration Bureau.

There is only information in this post and not mis-information.. No where did I even mention marrying a BG or any other such option... so take this as it is posted...

Kurt

If you are below 50 and don't like to spend cash, work or study. There is no long stay visa for you. It's very simple. Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 2

And where i can stay for 6 month in my home country when i not have anything there ?! Always i hear "oh in the USA you also can not stay for a long time" Why not say "oh in cambodia you buy a business visa and can stay for 1 year without a problem???!!!" Not all countries have tight visa rules. Why Thailand do it now and not before ?

Ever heard of renting a flat,or live on the streets,plenty do.

• Like 1

If you are below 50 and don't like to spend cash, work or study. There is no long stay visa for you. It's very simple.

Oh, I don't know. Staying in hotels or guesthouses, paying for meals & transportation, etc. - have you found some way to do these things without "spending cash"?

If you are below 50 and don't like to spend cash, work or study. There is no long stay visa for you. It's very simple.

Oh, I don't know. Staying in hotels or guesthouses, paying for meals & transportation, etc. - have you found some way to do these things without "spending cash"?

Now you're talking touristy things, get a tourist visa for that. This thread was about people living here.

• Like 1

Recent reports indicate Bali & Hanoi offering triple entry tourist visas.

Canada has been dishing them out for years to Canadian citizens.

Singapore has a bad rep as a tourist visa location. Recently i recieved one there for the first time - a single entry - & they told me not to try again.

In August a policy change is expected to come into force & you may encounter difficulties entering the country, etc. I suggest being well prepared with various documents proving your financial situation.

Yep. I spend 10 months a year on holiday in Thailand. As a holidaymaker the correct visa for me is a tourist visa. With extensions etc. the total cost is around 25k (Baht) a year though these days I tend to fly somewhere and spend a few days to active a new entry. With flights and hotel bills the annual cost would be under 50k. Why would I want to pay over double the amount and still have to pay for flights and hotel if I fancied a break? It's a no brainer.

I wish i could live 10 or 12 months a year in Thailand. And i am over 50. But if i did then i would be subject to the Thai income tax law, become a Thai resident for income tax purposes & have to pay way more in income tax than i presently do. So i "cannot" stay in Thailand because of that rule.

If Siam had more friendly tax rules as some other places, like HKG & SG, where foreign income is not taxed, then i 'could' stay in LOS without being subject to heavy taxation.

So as it stands i can holiday (or live part time) in the Kingdom only up to about 180 days a year.

When i'm not in Thailand i've been spending my time in my home Western country, or elsewhere in SEA.

The Thai income tax law has forced me not to live full time in Siam. As a result i've had the pleasure of travelling to, living in & discovering a couple other countries that i wouldn't have otherwise, if Thailand had more "friendly" income tax laws.

This is another concievable choice for those under 50 who don't qualify for retirement options in LOS, & are not interested in study or employment. IOW live PT in the country & the rest of the time in one or more other nations. You may find in so doing you enjoy discovering new places or even prefer them to Thailand.

It would also be a means to investigate other locations as a preperatory move in the case of Siam going tits up, becoming boring, or for other reasons a place you intend to quit.

Edited by oldthaihand99

I wish i could live 10 or 12 months a year in Thailand. And i am over 50. But if i did then i would be subject to the Thai income tax law, become a Thai resident for income tax purposes & have to pay way more in income tax than i presently do. So i "cannot" stay in Thailand because of that rule.

If Siam had more friendly tax rules as some other places, like HKG & SG, where foreign income is not taxed, then i 'could' stay in LOS without being subject to heavy taxation.

So as it stands i can holiday (or live part time) in the Kingdom only up to about 180 days a year.

When i'm not in Thailand i've been spending my time in my home Western country, or elsewhere in SEA.

The Thai income tax law has forced me not to live full time in Siam. As a result i've had the pleasure of travelling to, living in & discovering a couple other countries that i wouldn't have otherwise, if Thailand had more "friendly" income tax laws.

This is another concievable choice for those under 50 who don't qualify for retirement options in LOS, & are not interested in study or employment. IOW live PT in the country & the rest in one or more other nations. You may find in so doing you enjoy discovering new places or even prefer them to Thailand.

It would also be a means to investigate other locations as a preperatory move in the case of Siam going tits up, becoming boring, or for other reasons a place you intend to quit.

I stay here full time and have not paid any taxes. Tax collection is not automatic.

I don't want to get the discussion started about taxes again on this topic. See this webpage to see if the funds you would bring into the country is taxable or not. http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

And why should there be. It doesn't make any sense to have freeloaders come in.