The options for under-50s who dont want to work in Thailand ?

One of the comments that keeps recurring in various threads on the Tourist Visa crackdown is 'some of us have the funds to stay in Thailand for more than 6 months !'. Presumably we aren't talking roti/chicken rice and rainwater in a 3k-a-month room in Nakhon Nowhere, and that leads me to the question of options for such folk. I believe there are a couple of 'high roller' pay-for-play visas available to the seriously cashed-up, there's the Ed visa for the serious students and there's the option of starting a business and investing in Thailand's future for the seriously optimistic. Technically, the last two sound a lot like 'work' to me, but I'm going to open it up to the board - assuming the back-to-back TV is a thing of the past, where does that leave the under-50s who arent working or investing in Thailand ?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now im waiting for the answers. In another thread i ask this question and many Grandpas answered. "Get an ED Visa and learn the language", "Thailand not want you here", "Buy the elite card", "Work legally", but there is no way at the moment to stay a longer time 6 month+ in Thailand for people under 50. I dont know why. I have the same problem. Have enough money but not want to buy the expensive elite card.(there can be also problems because a visa is not always a entrie to Thailand even with a elite card)

Now im waiting for the answers. In another thread i ask this question and many Grandpas answered. "Get an ED Visa and learn the language", "Thailand not want you here", "Buy the elite card", "Work legally", but there is no way at the moment to stay a longer time 6 month+ in Thailand for people under 50. I dont know why. I have the same problem. Have enough money but not want to buy the expensive elite card.(there can be also problems because a visa is not always a entrie to Thailand even with a elite card)

I take it you have no interest in the Ed visa ? You dont have to learn the language. They accept Muay Thai and other studies involving Thai culture.

PS I'm not actually in said boat - just asking an obvious question. Worst case I'll take my 800k deposit and go to Cambodia.

I think you got your answer, those are the options for under 50, they left one out get married. In the end I do not think most countries want people hanging out without some option. I know you cannot show up and just stay in the US because you have the money of course if you have 500,000dollars you will get green card.

I guess you could go home for a while and then come back with another visa and stay 6 months.

And where i can stay for 6 month in my home country when i not have anything there ?! Always i hear "oh in the USA you also can not stay for a long time" Why not say "oh in cambodia you buy a business visa and can stay for 1 year without a problem???!!!" Not all countries have tight visa rules. Why Thailand do it now and not before ?

Who says you cannot stay more than 6 months. There have been reports this week of people getting their 2nd and 3rd two entry tourist visas in Vientiane.

You can still stay on tourist visas. You might have to show the money on entry or be questioned about what you are doing here. They are looking for people that are working here illegally not a person that has the money to stay.

Have seen some reports of a very few people being turned back with tourist visas but they have been 2nd and 3rd hand reports with little info.

The best way to stay here on tourist visas is to go farther away get your visas. A trip home once in while to get one looks good in your history.

• Like 2

And where i can stay for 6 month in my home country when i not have anything there ?! Always i hear "oh in the USA you also can not stay for a long time" Why not say "oh in cambodia you buy a business visa and can stay for 1 year without a problem???!!!" Not all countries have tight visa rules. Why Thailand do it now and not before ?

Cambodia seems to be an option you know about. Thailand like any country has the right to enforce there immigration rules and laws. This enforcement is really for many of the people working illegally in Thailand but there is always a spill over . Thailand is now enforcing the rules that have been on the books for years. I guess your options are Cambodia then and a one year business visa. Years ago I figured out that complaining about what I cannot change or influence was a waste of time, focus on what you can influence a 1 year business visa in Cambodia, let us know how that works out.

• Like 1

When you have the funds to stay many years here without work or study. And you are younger than 50. Why not go for the Elite card 5 year visa. Yes it's 500k. But it will maybe save you from doing 30 visa and border runs. Those would also cost a lot of money

When you have the funds to stay many years here without work or study. And you are younger than 50. Why not go for the Elite card 5 year visa. Yes it's 500k. But it will maybe save you from doing 30 visa and border runs. Those would also cost a lot of money

and when they change the rules will they refund the unused balance ?

500k baht is about USA $15,000 , not chump change to most people , but OK ( $250 a month) if you could be sure it would still work in a few years ,

can you buy a "visa wife" for that much and pay by the year ?

You can always invest 10 Million Baht and get yearly extensions of stay.

B. In case of an investment of not less than 10 million baht.
(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)
(2) Proof of money transfer to Thailand of not less than 10 million baht.
(3) Proof of investment to purchase or rent for a period not less than 3 years of unit in a condominium from an agency or government agency concerned at a price of not less than 10 million baht.
(4) Proof of investment in the form of a fixed deposit of not less than 10 million baht with a bank registered in Thailand with Thai shareholders comprising more than 50% of its shareholders.
(5) Proof of investment to purchase government or state enterprise bonds with a value of not less than 10 million baht or
(6) Proof of combined investments as set out in clauses (3),(4)
Or (5) having a total value of not less than 10 million baht.

• Like 1

blah blah blah......

Go and moan in private to your expat friends, the Thais couldn't care less.

I am sure many working Thais would hate it if the Auslanders left , since the jobs they have is because of them ,

and is it Ok to moan about other posters moaning ?

I am so confused :)

The best way to stay here on tourist visas is to go farther away get your visas. A trip home once in while to get one looks good in your history.

That is my take on it too. Every visa I have ever had has been issued in my 'home' country so have no history of ever having got a visa in the region. There is also a period of around 2 months or more outside the country whish I guess means something. For the last 5 years I have applied for one triple entry (in the UK) per year in early September and then do a visa exempt entry to gain an additional 30 days to get close to 10 months. For my last visa exempt earlier this month I done it by air, had lots of cash on me and a ticket out (to the UK) within 30 days.

Just under 3 more years and I can get a retirement visa so hope it lasts.

• Like 1

What an absurd sense of entitlement many Westerners have - almost as if they believe Thailand owes them something for flopping here and contributing nothing but a little money to the common wealth. What part of 'it's their country, theirs to make the laws and do as they please' is it difficult to understand?

i agree,

some come here and expect thailand to just change everything so they can stay here,

why would you think they should do this,?

please explain,?

the visa laws are clear, if you dont have the funds dont come,

I'm almost with you on this one, but I'd say that last line a little differently:

The visa laws are clear. If you can't, (or don't want to) pay the price, don't expect to stay longer than you've paid for.

Because it seems like a lot of these guys are loaded up with cash, but they don't want to part with any of it to get legal here.

• Like 1

and when they change the rules will they refund the unused balance ?

500k baht is about USA $15,000 , not chump change to most people , but OK ( $250 a month) if you could be sure it would still work in a few years ,

can you buy a "visa wife" for that much and pay by the year ?

A visa wife will cost you more than 500k when the divorce comes around and besides the financial requirements are much the same anyway on an annual basis

• Like 1

Yes, that's the same answer these fossilized geezers can only come up with, over and over again, quite frankly worse than a effin broking record.

I see your point exactly, have well enough to satisfy the monthly / yearly funds required but don't find any of the other options appealing and all that is in the way is this ridiculous again restriction. Does anyone see a difference between a 40 - 49 year old who wont qualify as opposed to a 50+ year old.???

I see no reason why if you can show a decent sum of money they can't at least issue you a 1 entry 90 non-imm visa??

Thailand would most probably benefit much more from the 35 - 49's who would have made it financially if they are returning around this age bracket than the majority 50+ living on a measly pension.

• Like 2

Ok I take it you have money then the 800,000 baht in a bank collects interest, If you don't need to spend and have an account outside the country use atm from that account then when you renew your money in Thai bank problem solved. Or is it you think they should roll out red carpet for you? In that case move to Cambodia you can own land there. But you many have to de-mine it first. Of course you could have some gold buried in it a let the Thai's de-mine for free.

I think you got your answer, those are the options for under 50, they left one out get married. In the end I do not think most countries want people hanging out without some option. I know you cannot show up and just stay in the US because you have the money of course if you have 500,000dollars you will get green card.

I guess you could go home for a while and then come back with another visa and stay 6 months.

No one is asking for residency. Thats what you are basically saying in your comparison to a green card.

You can always invest 10 Million Baht and get yearly extensions of stay.

B. In case of an investment of not less than 10 million baht.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of money transfer to Thailand of not less than 10 million baht.

(3) Proof of investment to purchase or rent for a period not less than 3 years of unit in a condominium from an agency or government agency concerned at a price of not less than 10 million baht.

(4) Proof of investment in the form of a fixed deposit of not less than 10 million baht with a bank registered in Thailand with Thai shareholders comprising more than 50% of its shareholders.

(5) Proof of investment to purchase government or state enterprise bonds with a value of not less than 10 million baht or

(6) Proof of combined investments as set out in clauses (3),(4)

Or (5) having a total value of not less than 10 million baht.

There are so many ways around the Visa problem--- Lite Beer has mentioned a few here that wont get him told off by the mods---many others also work , & work well for the under 50s, the Visa wife with a pre-nup is a grey area a lot of people use, but you start off the post by saying your not short of funds... 10 million Baht...invested in say Condo's to rent / or good location shop houses (company needed to be formed) Will get you a good return & resale on your money. (with no hassle -if you want to use an agent)

I remember living in both N.Z & Australia when the Visa issue started to get tougher , Places like that take the opposite view from Thailand---Your in your late 40s....your now to old for them.

I find Thailand very liberal in its actual visa laws & the policing of them.

• Like 1

And where i can stay for 6 month in my home country when i not have anything there ?! ....

Rent a condo/flat/house/caravan? Search the internet for inexpensive options. 6 months in a hotel or a 'Bed & Breakfast' guest house, if that's within your budget - many places will do special deals on price for long stay. Get a job while there to stop you getting bored? (You won't need a WP in your home country).

As someone mentioned, if you can get a 180 day 3 entry tourist visa, that with 30 day extensions at immigration, plus 1 visa exempt entry is practically 10 months in Thailand without much messing about or worrying.

Edited by bananafish

What an absurd sense of entitlement many Westerners have - almost as if they believe Thailand owes them something for flopping here and contributing nothing but a little money to the common wealth. What part of 'it's their country, theirs to make the laws and do as they please' is it difficult to understand?

Does it offend you that people of other nationalities choose Thailand as an adopted country

They may choose but it doesn't mean that Thai immigration policy wishes or allows it. As above that is a sense of entitlement. Ie have money so I can live where I want.

Thai immigration unusual compared to international standards because every immigration office imposes different rules and requirements.

Read the small print. In most if not all countries it states something akin to "At the discretion of the immigration official" So even if you have all you I's dotted and T's crossed you can still be denied entry. Nothing in immigration is a right, it is a privilege. Except of course in a country where the individual has "right of abode".

Most western countries do not have immigration policies that allow for six months of "tourism." Thailand on the other hand is very accommodating.

It is also a question of taxation. If one lives here and uses the infrastructure and what services are provided then one should expect to pay ones fair share of tax (no 7% Vat is not enough) As has been said there are provisions for wealthy people to stay here that are structured so they pay upfront.

But no. So far one cannot come here with a "reasonable" amount of money , rent a hut on the beach for $500-1000 a month and stay here indefinitely.

For the OP Malaysia has similar climate, nice beaches, etc.. they have MM2H scheme that may suit as it gives a 10 year visa. "Applicants under 50 are required to show liquid assets above RM500,000 and a monthly income of over RM10,000 (equivalent)". (That is 5 million baht and 100,000 baht a month).

As has been said in reality there are ways for people who wish to either pay or make the effort. Just want to stay here because you want to. NO