Regina School

DavidOxon

Inlaws I am guessing, probably had a phone autocorrect on him.

I only know of the school via Thai friends. It's your basic private school for middle class Thais. No better or worse than Dara, prince or Monfort. Probably around 30-40k a term. The Thai teachers are your standard fair and the foreign teachers have a BA/BS in something plus a TEFL. Not a bad school for CM, but not a school I would consider if it were my own child.

but does that guarantee you admission to CMU? If not, that's really not a big deal......I could probably walk down to the corner "z-rox chop" and get a copy for 100 thb. However, if 46% were accepted to CMU that is quite an accomplishment......For 10 times more money; I would like to see the numbers from Prem.

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 1

but does that guarantee you admission to CMU? If not, that's really not a big deal......I could probably walk down to the corner "z-rox chop" and get a copy for 100 thb. However, if 46% were accepted to CMU that is quite an accomplishment......For 10 times more money; I would like to see the numbers from Prem.

For many years you could say that Prem had no students accepted at CMU which would be true but probably misleading. Annually Prem has very few or often no students applying for admission at CMU.

• Like 1

Didn't someone post somewhere, or was it in the news, that CMU might have approached being in the top 100 universities in Asia? We're not talking about the world rankings. Not sure, but is one supposed to be impressed with CMU, or tertiary education in Thailand as a whole? Cute uniforms for trim upperclassmen, however.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 2

well! If we're going to stay here in CM, then what are the options? An international school which will leave her (from observation) with a strong American accent and little Thai? (She's never going to go to Uni in Amarica) or a 'decent' Thai school that will prepare her for life as a Thai?

I've met a number of nice Thai folks over the years, who attended Prince's Royal College....and isn't that the one with a big building named after a farang...across from Mccormick Hospital? Bill somebody...principal for 40 years...BTW, CMU is highly regarded...likely half the dentists and doctors mentioned on this forum went there at one point of their education. Overall, a very polite, well-behaved bunch,,,,as neighbors,

• Like 1

I've met a number of nice Thai folks over the years, who attended Prince's Royal College....and isn't that the one with a big building named after a farang...across from Mccormick Hospital? Bill somebody...principal for 40 years...BTW, CMU is highly regarded...likely half the dentists and doctors mentioned on this forum went there at one point of their education. Overall, a very polite, well-behaved bunch,,,,as neighbors,

what do you mean by "moo baan"?
  • Like 1

what do you mean by "moo baan"?

I googled it and got 9,330,000 hits. It's a housing "development," but often , more like a housing project.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Didn't someone post somewhere, or was it in the news, that CMU might have approached being in the top 100 universities in Asia? We're not talking about the world rankings. Not sure, but is one supposed to be impressed with CMU, or tertiary education in Thailand as a whole? Cute uniforms for trim upperclassmen, however.

CMU is a rather mixed picture, the medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy faculties are well respected.

Other faculties a very mixed picture, and the total number of courses conducted in English language you can count on one hand.

My understanding is that for Thai families that want to keep their kid local but don't get accepted at CMU often send the kid to Payap University. I believe Payap is actually more expensive than CMU and it does have a pretty good reputation (in Thailand). I don't know for sure but this is what I've been told.

IIRC some 95%+ of last year's Prem graduates went on to University, some do things like join the military or become airline-pilots instead, which don't necessarily involve degree-courses, but I suspect that few stayed in-the-area to attend CMU. There are usually some who go to Chula, Thammasat or other Thai universities.

well! If we're going to stay here in CM, then what are the options? An international school which will leave her (from observation) with a strong American accent and little Thai? (She's never going to go to Uni in Amarica) or a 'decent' Thai school that will prepare her for life as a Thai?

Some Thai parents who send their kids to Int's school also hire a Thai tutor for their children.

IIRC some 95%+ of last year's Prem graduates went on to University, some do things like join the military or become airline-pilots instead, which don't necessarily involve degree-courses, but I suspect that few stayed in-the-area to attend CMU. There are usually some who go to Chula, Thammasat or other Thai universities.

Surely you have to have completed University to be a graduate????

Sorry, David, yes, back to the question.

Regina is one of the better Thai private schools in the city. Prince Royal's and Dara would be two others. The "best" is the Demonstration School at CMU for preparation to get into a top Thai university, which would be Chulalongkorn, Tammisat, or Maidol. Yupparaj (very difficult to gain entrance if you live outsid its educational district) is the most challenging government school in the city, probably equal to the private schools. However, that is no guarantee of a well-rounded education.

CMU and Payap are so-so undergraduate schools, the latter known in some circles as the place to go if you can't get in anywhere else.

People have complained about the lack of instruction and understandnig of European history among Regina students, really not the most germane complaint overall (no pun intended). Anyway, that history is not taught well in any Thai school with which I am familiar.

Edited by Mapguy

I just took a look at The Prince Royal's College website: Urgently needs NES Teachers. Let me see....90 TEFL grads per month within CM, the most desirable place to be in Thailand, and school started a month ago....In a world where appearances mean everything; something appears to be seriously wrong. BTW, the farang with the building named after him was Bill Harris.

I have taught at three Thai schools and two international schools. If you can afford it then send your kids to an international school. The Thai schools are very sneaky and convincing. They make people believe they are good schools, but from my experience they are a joke. Maybe some are ok, but I seriously doubt it. Did you know that in Thai schools 50% of students copy the answer from a friend and cheat in the exams. I will never be sending my kids there. If you do, get a tutor to come to the house every evening to actually teach them something instead of the robot drilling which they would have spent all day doing, whilst learning nothing. A student in a Thai school can recite a whole book but will have no clue as to what they have just read. Such a waste of time :-(

For many years you could say that Prem had no students accepted at CMU which would be true but probably misleading. Annually Prem has very few or often no students applying for admission at CMU.

For the money, Prem doesn't have many at Oxbridge either. The local comp down the road had 3. Private schooling in Thailand is a business and never forget that.

For the money, Prem doesn't have many at Oxbridge either. The local comp down the road had 3. Private schooling in Thailand is a business and never forget that.

I was going to point that out, too. Never seen any reports from Prem on where their graduates enroll in University. I've seen a school in Bangkok publish it in the Post. They had one student going to my school in Virginia. For the kind of money they are charging, you could make mortgage payments on a home with great free schools in the States. In some areas, the public schools perform better than the privates. We had a lot of mal-adjusted private school grads at my state uni....They were behind the public school students in many areas...but they were better at doing "Hail Marys." The boarding school students were 18 going on 35...