Pre-Dawn raid at Pattaya Remand Prison

Rimmer

Pre-Dawn raid at Pattaya Remand Prison

prison-4.jpg
PATTAYA:--373 Police, Navy and Local Government Officers took part in a pre-Dawn raid at the Pattaya Remand Prison on Friday Morning with the aim of searching for illegal items such as weapons and drugs.

Police Officers from Stations around Chonburi Province, Officers from the Royal Thai Navy Base in Sattahip District and Banglamung District Officers took part in the raid which saw raids concentrated on block numbers 1,3,4,5 and 6, which house prisoners who are charged with the more serious offences, along with Block 10, which is the female prisoner compound.

Checks were also made at the Prison Shop, Hospital and education facilities as the 4,120 prisoners currently incarcerated at the Prison remained in their cells.

A parade of officers took place after daybreak and at the conclusion of the searches, which were prompted by orders from the Department of Corrections who in-turn received their orders from the NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order).
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/133213/pre-dawn-raid-at-pattaya-remand-prison/#sthash.j9VRPQOX.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-06-28

Anyone who has ever worked in or been involved with corrections facilities anywhere in the worl will know that that it's impossible that there was no drugs or weapons found.

My best estimate with 4000+ prisoners is that they found large quantities of drugs and numerous shanks.

Of course, it's the prison staff who would have been embarassed by the find, so I'm sure arrangements were made to ensure none was found.

• Like 2

I'm pretty certain amongst a group that large there would be something found in general, but obviously not.

However I'm surprised the guards could give them the heads up, I doubt the soldiers know what they are doing in the morning let alone with any real time to warn prisoners.

Could it be that they've been careful since the coup, knowing that it was coming, albeit not knowing when?

having been in that prison I can say that I saw no signs of drugs or phones etc and the search on entry was pretty strict, which surprised me because in the cells at soi 9 the police were openly selling the inmates yaba and all their long term lackeys were on yaba supplied by the police, and from what I have heard that is still the case

I pretty much almost believed in the whole coup thing going on, for sure they do good things as well but it was when they started searching prisons without finding anything illigal that my hope was faded... it's all a game again

It would be entertaining to see the wardens bank accounts and assets scrutinized.

I remember years ago, a warden let his prisoners go to "work" on the guards motorbikes.

You see, any Thai that gets into management see it at their right to exploit their position.

If all mobile phones were banned from use by the " searching " officers IE left at the Police Station / Command Center, and the target was only disclosed after they had left for the raid, then the seizure rates would improve dramatically, and so would the disclosure of bent Prison Officials.