White wine

dagling

I've always found it somewhat ironic that some of the best wines to be found in SE Asia, and certainly the best priced, are to be found on a Muslim island just an hour or two from Satun.

Langkawi.

It's duty free status is a massive asset obviously and you find good buys in quite a few places there. However I visit a cash and carry with a very decent temperature controlled wine room out back. Excellent choice of wines, on one visit I picked up the 4 bottles they had remaining of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon for around 900 THB each. Would cost me more in the UK. Drank one and bought the others back....I must have an innocent face smile.png

The issue here is the 460% import duty imposed on wine. And this was all because some Thai senator was paid a lot of money by the Thai wineries to introduce and insure passage of an "anti fareng wine bill" many years ago. It has since deprived the government of billions upon billions of dollars on duty revenue. If this bill was abolished (long, long overdue) Thailand would have a vibrant wine industry. At a reasonable duty of say 100%, the import duties would be incredible. They would be able to sell a lot of $100 bottles. Instead, we are left with swill, that I would never consider touching back in the States, for $25. The wines I see for $4 in LA, are $45 here in the restaurants. That is insanity. That is a broken system. That is pure churlishness, on the part of the government. Get rid of this policy. Grow up. Get real. You are protecting nobody. The Thai wineries are not a significant factor in the equation. Maybe Prayuth can have a look at this ridiculous wine policy.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The excessive wine duty goes back to just prior to the Asian Financial Crisis when rich Thais really discovered wine. They were spending ridiculous sums of money, $10,000 a bottle in some cases and red wine was a metaphor for bleeding the Country dry.

However Australian wines do have preferential tax rates compared to other countries.

Maybe so, but I still have never seem a great McLaren Shiraz for 1,000 baht. I find them all the time in the states.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Maybe so, but I still have never seem a great McLaren Shiraz for 1,000 baht. I find them all the time in the states.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sure duties are still high and 1000 baht will buy you a Penfold's Shiraz maybe. But why drink Shiraz when you can drink Petrus?

Try the "Box Wine" Mont Clair.....5 liters for around 1000 baht.

I tried that stuff a couple of years ago and noticed that the mossies stopped biting and the cat wouldn't cuddle any longer. On the otherhand, it worked just fine when I was reseating the valves on Mrs CM car and I needed to degrease some parts. giggle.gif

It is a lower end every days wine, but it is way better than many bottles from France in the 3-600 Baht range. And many Families just don't have the money to drink a 1000+ Baht wine daily. Lets say you are an European Family with a 17-19 year old son and sometimes someone come to visit. Than you are at an average of 3 bottles per day. That is 90.000 Baht per month for a 1000 Baht wine.

I like a good glug of wine as I draw a line under the day - somewhere round about 6 or 7pm. I enjoy doing that everyday, rather than just once a week - each to their own. I don't go to bars, but do enjoy a few glasses at home. One bottle is approx 6 small glasses of wine, which is just a warm down for me in this hot climate - so if i was only drinking 1 x bottle per day at 1000 Bht then that would be approx 30K per month - which is a lot more than some people pay for a months rent ! It's very difficult to justify for me to spend 1000Bht on a bottle of everyday wine ( even the 1000bht stuff is only just reasonable ). Mount Claire won't win you any admirers, but I'm passed caring about all that wine snobbery nonsense. This is Thailand not Singapore. Mount Claire is not poison, its affordable and if served extremely cold with an extremely cold glass from the freezer then it's it passable. It helps me unwind at night - so it gets my nod - so there !!

• Like 1

Albertosez

I truly appreciate where you are coming from. I just choose to have a few G and T's to fill the gap between wine nights.

Yep- I like them too.....before or after the wine.....I'm not fussed. However, I do tend to buy imported spirits, I don't enjoy the local ones.

Years ago I used to go to the wine auctions at Butterfields in the USA....used to be that you could buy a mixed case of aged french red wines for $250 (ie..$20/bottle). As such I've enjoy all ranges of wines and all prices.

Funny thing was I once bought a bottle of Chateau Lafite 1986.....Went on a camping trip with other wine loving people wherein we each brought a number of nice bottles of wine...of which I brought the Chateau Lafite. It was a couple day trip and on the second day everybody went for a hike ... except me, my date and another couple stayed behind. Well....they were late coming back, so we drank the bottle of Chateau Lafite (excellent!!!) and not wanting the others to miss out on the experience we refilled the bottle with a "2 buck chuck" (Not all the way ...just enough to look like we just tasted it).

When they got back ...one wine snob was so excited to try the Chateau Lafite that we said, since we already opened the bottle may as well have a taste. So he did. He took a sip, swirled it around his mouth, gurgling kind of and then swallowed. He let out a big "AHHHH!" and went on to critique it with all its flavors etc. and how great it was!

It took all the strength we had to not bust out laughing but we didn't and to this day have never mentioned to any in the group what we did.

Moral of the story ....labels mean absolutely nothing ...winetasting is a personal experience ...and if you like a "2 buck chuck" ...so be it.. ..enjoy

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

Years ago I used to go to the wine auctions at Butterfields in the USA....used to be that you could buy a mixed case of aged french red wines for $250 (ie..$20/bottle). As such I've enjoy all ranges of wines and all prices.

Funny thing was I once bought a bottle of Chateau Lafite 1986.....Went on a camping trip with other wine loving people wherein we each brought a number of nice bottles of wine...of which I brought the Chateau Lafite. It was a couple day trip and on the second day everybody went for a hike ... except me, my date and another couple stayed behind. Well....they were late coming back, so we drank the bottle of Chateau Lafite (excellent!!!) and not wanting the others to miss out on the experience we refilled the bottle with a "2 buck chuck" (Not all the way ...just enough to look like we just tasted it).

When they got back ...one wine snob was so excited to try the Chateau Lafite that we said, since we already opened the bottle may as well have a taste. So he did. He took a sip, swirled it around his mouth, gurgling kind of and then swallowed. He let out a big "AHHHH!" and went on to critique it with all its flavors etc. and how great it was!

It took all the strength we had to not bust out laughing but we didn't and to this day have never mentioned to any in the group what we did.

Moral of the story ....labels mean absolutely nothing ...winetasting is a personal experience ...and if you like a "2 buck chuck" ...so be it.. ..enjoy

I've done a few few blind tasting sessions and the results were surprising. Not necessarily by price of the wine, but where they came from. I accept the tannins in the " fast produced wines " are not really good for the body, but neither is 20 quid difference in price good for the wallet!

I once did such a test with a well know winery fella from where I come from and the wine most people preferred was a 7 quid bottle from Spain. In them days ( and v little has changed) I couldn't afford to buy a case of 6.......but I do still remember how good it was. I used to collect Chateau Neuf De Pape ( prob mis-even touch alcohol...... Injustice of the highest order !

English bitch !

That last post went strange. Anyway, I was saying - I used to collect Chateau Neuf De Pape and had collected maybe 8 x cases which all went in my ex wife's favor during a divorce settlement. However, she doesn't touch alcohol and the whole thing is a major injustice !

Sour faced frigid English no good .........mmmmm

Albertosez

I truly appreciate where you are coming from. I just choose to have a few G and T's to fill the gap between wine nights.

Yep- I like them too.....before or after the wine.....I'm not fussed. However, I do tend to buy imported spirits, I don't enjoy the local ones.

local ones: I tried a few time to make "apple-wine" out of apple juice. You get a surprisingly good product (sometimes) and while it isn't perfect it has no problem like foul taste or vinegar taste. If cold it is a nice refreshing drink that doesn't cause any headache and you know that you didn't put any chemicals inside. Roughly the same alcohol as beer, but can be also made stronger than wine and mixed with soda.....

The issue here is the 460% import duty imposed on wine. And this was all because some Thai senator was paid a lot of money by the Thai wineries to introduce and insure passage of an "anti fareng wine bill" many years ago. It has since deprived the government of billions upon billions of dollars on duty revenue. If this bill was abolished (long, long overdue) Thailand would have a vibrant wine industry. At a reasonable duty of say 100%, the import duties would be incredible. They would be able to sell a lot of $100 bottles. Instead, we are left with swill, that I would never consider touching back in the States, for $25. The wines I see for $4 in LA, are $45 here in the restaurants. That is insanity. That is a broken system. That is pure churlishness, on the part of the government. Get rid of this policy. Grow up. Get real. You are protecting nobody. The Thai wineries are not a significant factor in the equation. Maybe Prayuth can have a look at this ridiculous wine policy.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

The excessive wine duty goes back to just prior to the Asian Financial Crisis when rich Thais really discovered wine. They were spending ridiculous sums of money, $10,000 a bottle in some cases and red wine was a metaphor for bleeding the Country dry.

However Australian wines do have preferential tax rates compared to other countries.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

You should be able to pick up d'Arenburg's "Footbolt" Shiraz for on or under ฿1000 here...

But it depends on what your definition or benchmark of/for 'great' McLaren Vale Shiraz is.

Personally, you'd be hard pressed to find a 'great' McLaren Vale Shiraz for that price at a cellar door in the Vale, plenty of 'really good' MV Shiraz available for under ฿1000 back home, but 'great' MV Shiraz, you're paying over that.

FYI, Australian wine has 4% import duty, where you get this 460% figure from, escapes me...

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon nice new zealand white and over here they are many more nice white nz wines

Unfortunately for the Cloudy Bay SB you're paying for a brand name. The winery is owned by LVMH and it's well overpriced for what it is.