Cinema rant.

thaibeachlovers

A lot of (even the) main stream movies never seem to make it here. I guess a lot of movies just don't translate well. And whats with there being no old people? With out the oldies in farang land cinemas would collapse outside of the school holidays.

A lot of (even the) main stream movies never seem to make it here. I guess a lot of movies just don't translate well. And whats with there being no old people? With out the oldies in farang land cinemas would collapse outside of the school holidays.

If they are too absorbed in American culture, they don't go international. Only the dumb flicks with mindless non-stop action make it to Thailand. Not too many subtitles.

Nowadays one can buy state of the line home entertainement systems and download the latest movies from the net....

I prefer the "real" cinema experience.

I don't go to Chiang Mai much, so when I do it's an opportunity to go to the movies, however, I already saw Transformers and Maleficent, and King Nauresan ( ?spelling ) isn't in English and doesn't have subtitles, so an opportunity lost.

For goodness sake, there has to be some other movies out there, but not that you'd know in LOS.

Actually I am a bit of a movie buff, and there is some excellent Thai films that I have seen in the past...

So it's worth going to see one to see what you think..

As for Transormers, that would be my nightmare movie, not for me that's for sure..

Nowadays one can buy state of the line home entertainement systems and download the latest movies from the net....

I don't go to Chiang Mai much, so when I do it's an opportunity to go to the movies, however, I already saw Transformers and Maleficent, and King Nauresan ( ?spelling ) isn't in English and doesn't have subtitles, so an opportunity lost.

For goodness sake, there has to be some other movies out there, but not that you'd know in LOS.

I still buy the dodgy DVDs - even though I know how much they are making on each movie - and the genuine article when it's a film I want on Blu-Ray. To my disgust, many of the movies I missed whilst incarcerated in Hicksville, NSW turned out to be duds IMO - particularly American Hustle - and surprisingly the only movies I've really enjoyed have been big special effects popcorn movies - Pacific Rim and Marvel's Avengers - despite their comic book scripts they've actually entertained me. Having a decent Blu-Ray player helps and action movies are about the only genre where I'd spend that kind of money for a movie anyway.

If I want good drama with good scripts, I go and get the genuine DVDs of TV series like Sherlock (UK version), Game of Thrones, Da Vinci's Demons, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and so on. I read an interview with a director who normally does movies and he said that when he walked onto the set of The Walking Dead to direct his alotted episodes he was blown away by how much money the cable network was spending on the show and how much more enjoyable it was to work on the series vs his experiences making movies. I also watch some of the guff on SyFy here in Thailand but most of it isnt the same league - IMO - as the series I have to pay for. Cable wouldnt be much use to me - I'm one of those crazies who will watch an entire season over the course of a single weekend.

Getting back to current releases, I have no idea if this is good, bad or utter crap but its on in Patts and I'm going to take a look at it later this week:

http://www.eventcinemas.com.au/movie/Edge-Of-Tomorrow

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/edge_of_tomorrow/

Cruise may well be a nutcase but something kicks in when he turns up to work - love the guy or loathe him, he can act.

I still buy the dodgy DVDs - even though I know how much they are making on each movie - and the genuine article when it's a film I want on Blu-Ray. To my disgust, many of the movies I missed whilst incarcerated in Hicksville, NSW turned out to be duds IMO - particularly American Hustle - and surprisingly the only movies I've really enjoyed have been big special effects popcorn movies - Pacific Rim and Marvel's Avengers - despite their comic book scripts they've actually entertained me. Having a decent Blu-Ray player helps and action movies are about the only genre where I'd spend that kind of money for a movie anyway.

If I want good drama with good scripts, I go and get the genuine DVDs of TV series like Sherlock (UK version), Game of Thrones, Da Vinci's Demons, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and so on. I read an interview with a director who normally does movies and he said that when he walked onto the set of The Walking Dead to direct his alotted episodes he was blown away by how much money the cable network was spending on the show and how much more enjoyable it was to work on the series vs his experiences making movies. I also watch some of the guff on SyFy here in Thailand but most of it isnt the same league - IMO - as the series I have to pay for. Cable wouldnt be much use to me - I'm one of those crazies who will watch an entire season over the course of a single weekend.

Getting back to current releases, I have no idea if this is good, bad or utter crap but its on in Patts and I'm going to take a look at it later this week:

http://www.eventcinemas.com.au/movie/Edge-Of-Tomorrow

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/edge_of_tomorrow/

Cruise may well be a nutcase but something kicks in when he turns up to work - love the guy or loathe him, he can act.

I loved that movie, but it's soooooo much better on the giant screen than it would be on a tv.

Actually I am a bit of a movie buff, and there is some excellent Thai films that I have seen in the past...

As for Transormers, that would be my nightmare movie, not for me that's for sure..

I have been to every Thai film with subtitles that I've been able to, except those ghost films and the "comedy" ones, as they are anything but funny to me. Most have indeed been excellent.

I have been to every Thai film with subtitles that I've been able to, except those ghost films and the "comedy" ones, as they are anything but funny to me. Most have indeed been excellent.

So what your saying is you haven't been to many then

So what your saying is you haven't been to many then

True.