working Voluntary

KhunKevin

<deleted comment on moderation>

I am now on a 2 month marriage visa issued at CNX imm office, i have been asked if i could teach English locally as a favour to a family member of my wife's.

I am English, i have a TEFL certificate and don't want to charge money for this, as the people have been so helpful to me since i have been living here.

They have a company/business and want me to teach their people around just 3 hours a week, so not too much.

How do i go about this and is it possible? i believe i will need a work permit!!! very strange as its not strictly work ! more fun.

i think i have covered all my points.

Please help

Kevin

Edited by Tywais
Removed comment on moderation

They have a company/business and want me to teach their people around just 3 hours a week.

This goes further than just doing a favour for a family member of a family member.

The situation is this; yes, you will legally require a work permit and if you go ahead anyway without applying for a WP, than you may get away with it until if or when someone reports you or you get into any kind of disputes or the police latch onto what you are doing.

In other words, what you decide is up to your own risk and discretion.

If they have a company/business they can either arrange for the OP to obtain a WP or they can hire an English tutor thru an agency that has already handled the WP. Either way, the OP shouldn't be doing this -- it's not the same as, say, going into the private home of a family member of the wife and teaching the kids for a few hours a week -- which could be explained away as playing with the kids.

If they have a company/business they can either arrange for the OP to obtain a WP or they can hire an English tutor thru an agency that has already handled the WP. Either way, the OP shouldn't be doing this -- it's not the same as, say, going into the private home of a family member of the wife and teaching the kids for a few hours a week -- which could be explained away as playing with the kids.

Why would that be OK? And explaining it away by lying?

The OP made it sound like he wanted to teach English as a favor to a family member of his wife's. To me, that would be in the realm of helping a wife's family member's kid with his English homework in kid's home. That's doing a favor for a family member.

It's not doing a favor for a family member when you go into a company's office and teach that company's employees 3 hours per week over several weeks on an organized, structured basis. That's working.

I disagree; the people doing private tutoring are in clear violation of the law....the families that hire them are violating the law, also. As the other poster stated, why can't they get a tutor from a legitimate agency that can provide WP and hopefully do a background check on the tutor. Quite a few of the people I've seen, surviving on "privates" wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a public school in the US.

• Like 1

They have a company/business and want me to teach their people around just 3 hours a week.

This goes further than just doing a favour for a family member of a family member.

The situation is this; yes, you will legally require a work permit and if you go ahead anyway without applying for a WP, than you may get away with it until if or when someone reports you or you get into any kind of disputes or the police latch onto what you are doing.

I realise i need a wp, and i am not about to throw away my life, house and my new wife just to work illegally, plus my wife has a really good job in the government, so working illegally here is and never was an option, all i need is some kind of guidance as to how to go about obtaining 1. a work permit and 2. what visa i will need.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies, i would like to point out, i have absolutely no intention of working here illegally, if that was the case why would i advertise the fact on this forum?

I am really searching for ideas on how to go about it. Which visa? how to obtain a WP? etc.

As for one reply about them going for another legit tutor, because of background checks, well as i stated in my original post, i am a friend of the family through my wife and they have helped me out since i moved here to Chiang Mai some 4 years ago, so as you can see or understand my intention is to help pay back their kindness to me by helping their childrens education, nothing more nothing less, no 'pirate' !

One thing i really get annoyed with here on TV is people don't read the OP correctly and go off on one !

For the most part the subscribers here are always giving good solid advice, based on their own circumstances and experiences, and its why i persevere with this rather over censored forum.

Cheers & thanks again for the constructive replies

Kevin

• Like 2

It's not going to be feasible. If it were, every backpacker on this side of the Nile would get one to teach English. You can set up a company; but then you will need 4 Thai employees for every WP issued. BTW, I'm a Math(s) Teacher; not TEFL backpacker; but wouldn't the word be "voluntarily"?

It's not going to be feasible. If it were, every backpacker on this side of the Nile would get one to teach English. You can set up a company; but then you will need 4 Thai employees for every WP issued. BTW, I'm a Math(s) Teacher; not TEFL backpacker; but wouldn't the word be "voluntarily"?

Given that that the OP has a Thai wife then the rules for WP are much reduced. He still must have a WP but does not require 4 Thai employees. The OP should ask his local labour office, and his wife should accompany him to explain the situation.

• Like 1

The company that wants him to teach English could hire him and arrange the WP with the Labor Dept. As for the "proper visa", he needs to ask at CM Immigration. He didn't say what type of visa he has. Often people here on a marriage visa have an O visa, where it's very possible to have a WP.

Edited by NancyL

I realise i need a wp, and i am not about to throw away my life, house and my new wife just to work illegally, plus my wife has a really good job in the government, so working illegally here is and never was an option, all i need is some kind of guidance as to how to go about obtaining 1. a work permit and 2. what visa i will need.

This is what I would do in your situation and have done myself in the past, so I practise what I preach.

Over my years here in Thailand I have received many requests to teach English on a voluntary basis, by neighbors, friends and friends of friends and so on. Each time I have with apologises told them that I would oblige if I could but it would involve too many complications for me regarding my visa situation and therefore have to decline their requests. Not one person has ever taken umbrage over my refusal to give English language lessons and once I explained everyone understood my reasons and there were never any hard feelings.

But if you are really enthusiastic about doing this, then I believe you can visit the works and employment centre at Mai Rim to make inquiries about obtaining a work permit and what is involved, then it is up to you whether you decide this is worth all the hassle or not.

• Like 1

Ah well, it was all a lot of fun!

I love reading these little verbal tussles. Obviously the only thing the OP needs to do is, TALK with CNX Immigration and take THEIR advice, if he wishes to follow through. Pretty simple really!

• Like 1

you have tell the right people if you do anything in Thailand with any kind of work.i know that,another stamp in your passport or something.they don,t like anyone doing something work wise if it stop a thai getting that job.for free or paid they are funny about these things.

• Like 1

yet again....i was asking for advice, not a sermon and the fact that everybody else has been very constructive in their advice speaks volumes about your own personality !

If you ain't got anything good to say, keep quiet. I'm being polite, just so you know.

yet again....i was asking for advice, not a sermon and the fact that everybody else has been very constructive in their advice speaks volumes about your own personality !

If you ain't got anything good to say, keep quiet. I'm being polite, just so you know.

I've been coming here to CNX for 10 years, and have owned two homes here. I have never met a single person, who was lawfully acting as a sole proprietor, tutoring English, period. The only people that were doing it almost lawfully, were bona-fide teachers with TL, WP, and Non-Imm B, who tutored students from their school after hours for cash....and even that would be in a gray area. Darkside is correct that WP rules are different for a person married to a Thai; but I'm just stating what I have observed. Sorry, it's not what you wanted to hear.....maybe your new Rumanian friend will tell you differently. Anyway, please post back and let us know what you actually find out.

I've been coming here to CNX for 10 years, and have owned two homes here. I have never met a single person, who was lawfully acting as a sole proprietor, tutoring English, period. The only people that were doing it almost lawfully, were bona-fide teachers with TL, WP, and Non-Imm B, who tutored students from their school after hours for cash....and even that would be in a gray area. Darkside is correct that WP rules are different for a person married to a Thai; but I'm just stating what I have observed. Sorry, it's not what you wanted to hear.....maybe your new Rumanian friend will tell you differently. Anyway, please post back and let us know what you actually find out.

i will keep everyone posted as to what i decide and the other posts here have been a great help.

i am struggling to understand this and its relevance......... ''maybe your new Rumanian friend will tell you differently'' .....could you explain?

If the original poster has as much trouble figuring out what to do on something so simple maybe he shouldn't be teaching anything. It's not rocket science and if you can't manage a couple google searches or simple Thai rules what's the point of asking a question when you didn't seem to do an ounce of research?

Serious question, how did you manage to get to Thailand on your own?

Sent from my iPad

I would like to know if the groups that operate in CM need to have work permits to be legal. One such group meets at a 5 star hotel every month . I would like to know if the committee or board of this group and other non profit organisations need to have work permits to be legal?. If you are asked to join one of these groups is it the organisations job to get the work permit or is it the individuals responsibility. I hope this post does not get removed unlike my last one . I don't think this one can offend anyone it is a simple question.

• Like 2