Death In Thailand

easyride

My friend had a (presumed) heart attack and despite CPR by passers by was not responding.

The sad thing is that two of Pattaya's best known hospitals refused to attend to give energency aid because my friend was not in a position to pay being either dead or unconscious. I'd always assumed that even the Thais would respond in a humanitarian way and worry about money later. How wrong I was.

Sorry to hear of your loss....

One question. Did your friend have insurance to cover such an emergency?

Do insurance companies covering people in Thailand issue a card saying "Will cover all necessary costs, please try to revive then call this number"? If they don't it sounds like they should or what is the point of having insurance? Perhaps there should be a policy that covers 'Concious Only' requirements, anything else sounds like it may not be of use.

A friend of mine's brother died in Cambodia for the same reason. Sadly his family were loaded and he died of relatively minor injuries that became complicated because of lack of care. We was not concious you see...

This is a little disconcerting.

Do insurance companies covering people in Thailand issue a card saying "Will cover all necessary costs, please try to revive then call this number"?

AIA and Muang Thai Life Insurance do. It doesn't say it in the same terms.... but it does say something along the lines of "please expedite/transport said person to the nearest hospital or medical facility..." along with the policy number and contact phone number for the insurance service agent. Everyone in my family keeps a copy of our cards in our cars and the originals in our wallets along with a short note to contact family member..... in the event of an emergency.

The best way to put hospital admittance at ease are the words "yes, fully insured and self insured."

:o

I wear dog tags with my medical insurance details on them.

I take the view that they are not likely to be stolen, I have a friend who had a lovely gold SOS bracelet, well you can imagine can't you.

I was working in Bangladesh and had a stupid accident after drinking too much and I fell over fortunately in my apartment but apart from bruised ribs I was OK.

When I went to the hospital there they said that i had a heart problem and showed me on the echo scanner.

I came back and went to Bumrungrad yesterday for a full check up and they told me the same thing.

Unfortunately I am not insured and at 62 I am unlikely to get cover anyway.

I will have to have some sort of surgery and possibly get a balloon inserted to fix the problem I hope.

I had not been to the doctor for years but I strongly recommend everybody to go once a year just in case.

My friends husband was 48 when he died of a heart attack, on the other hand my grandfather was about 80 when he died.

You may never know until it is too late.

Easyride, I am sorry about your friend as he had no notice at all.

I'm very surprised to hear about the lack of medical care from a hospital in Thailand, I had a severe heart problem when in Phuket a few years ago, at 2 am I felt really bad and got scared, the hotel reception called the doctor and within 5 min. there was an ambulance which took me to the Phuket International hospital, nobody asked for money before it came to check out from the hospital a week later, they saved my life for 45000 bath, the hotel put up the payment, and I settled with them later.

I think when it's an emergency help should come first.

I was working in Bangladesh and had a stupid accident after drinking too much and I fell over fortunately in my apartment but apart from bruised ribs I was OK.

When I went to the hospital there they said that i had a heart problem and showed me on the echo scanner.

I came back and went to Bumrungrad yesterday for a full check up and they told me the same thing.

I will have to have some sort of surgery and possibly get a balloon inserted to fix the problem I hope.

I had not been to the doctor for years but I strongly recommend everybody to go once a year just in case.

My friends husband was 48 when he died of a heart attack, on the other hand my grandfather was about 80 when he died.

Hey... sorry about your heart problem.... yesterday I was talking with a lady about insurance, cuz I need one for my dad and he's 62 as well. I could not find a place where they want to accept his age. But this lady told me about CSG, she told me that they do accept ppl over 60!! so, maybe you should call 026321122 [email protected]

BTW... bumrungrad is pretty expensive hospital, and is not reaaaaally good as BHN, or Bangkok Hospital.. are you going to pay the mc donald's inside? (hehehe)

cheers!

My friend had a (presumed) heart attack and despite CPR by passers by was not responding.

The sad thing is that two of Pattaya's best known hospitals refused to attend to give energency aid because my friend was not in a position to pay being either dead or unconscious. I'd always assumed that even the Thais would respond in a humanitarian way and worry about money later. How wrong I was.

You should have a look at this topic - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73826

I am truly sorry to hear about your friend.

i have never heard of anyone being refused emergency treatment from a hospital if you call the hospital emergency number to attend in Bangkok anyway.

I have used this service from Samitivej in Bangkok ambulance attended with 2 nurses and doctor and driver within 20 mins. The question of money was not asked or even mentioned or insurance until they were sure my mother was out of danger in the emergency room back at the hospital and that was 4 hours later.

Second time I have seen when I saw a oz guy injured in road accident BANGKOK HOSPITAL ambulance was called to attend and again with out any mention of money / insurance etc. was taken away direct to the hospital for treatment.

Perhaps its different in Pattaya but I am almost 100% sure any of the ambulance services provided by Bumrungrad, BNH, Samitivej and Bangkok Hospital will all attend and treat in an emergency without question at least until the patient is back at the hospital and stable or beign treated.

Edited by dekka007

btw... once I was in Pattaya for food poison, and my pain was really bad, the doctor came to the hotel to visit me, and we where talking, he told me that most of the emergency in pattaya are heart attack!! :o usually old guys, and in the hotels... is one of the biggest death causes he said!! hahahahahahaha, sorry but it make me laugh... :D lol

Do insurance companies covering people in Thailand issue a card saying "Will cover all necessary costs, please try to revive then call this number"?

AIA and Muang Thai Life Insurance do. It doesn't say it in the same terms.... but it does say something along the lines of "please expedite/transport said person to the nearest hospital or medical facility..." along with the policy number and contact phone number for the insurance service agent. Everyone in my family keeps a copy of our cards in our cars and the originals in our wallets along with a short note to contact family member..... in the event of an emergency.

The best way to put hospital admittance at ease are the words "yes, fully insured and self insured."

:o

I am truly sorry to hear about your friend.

BUPA is not perhaps the best insurance which my doctor in BNH hospital to me said some time ago. My doctor did not make good experiences with BUPA about repeated treatments. I took after the AIA. This is however not easy to get as Farang without NON immigrant “O”.

Hey... sorry about your heart problem.... yesterday I was talking with a lady about insurance, cuz I need one for my dad and he's 62 as well. I could not find a place where they want to accept his age. But this lady told me about CSG, she told me that they do accept ppl over 60!! so, maybe you should call 026321122 [email protected]

BTW... bumrungrad is pretty expensive hospital, and is not reaaaaally good as BHN, or Bangkok Hospital.. are you going to pay the mc donald's inside? (hehehe)

cheers!

I know that Bumrungrad is expensive and I got a quote from Bangkok hospital at nearly 100,000 baht cheaper and my wifes good friend is taking me to Samitivej tomorrow. Thanks for the information about the insurance. The only problem about the insurance is they won't pay for pre existing problems.

One part of my life that I will have to change is cutting back on stuff like McDonalds and KFC so I suppose I will go back to wfc (wifes fried chicken) instead. It is better anyway.

My doctor had a heart attack when I was in the waiting room, the abulance came and they wanted him to sign a form before they put him in the ambo.

The dude was barely alive and insisted he sign this form, the doc reached up in alot of pain and just scribbled abit of pen on the sheet and then he was away. Usually they make you sign it after you get to the hospital here when you are recovering, but not in this instance.

Luckily he is still alive and well, but he is only 39 years old which is scarey

I went into Bangkok hospital Monday afternoon and went down on Tuesday morning to surgery. The doctor inserted a trace dye though the artery in my groin and after a while he told me that I had a 70% blockage in 2 arteries on the left side of my heart and what did I want to do. Fix it springs to mind. he inserted 2 angioplasty bladders which opened the arteries up then put a stent in each which is a chain link so that they probably will not narrow again.

The total cost including 2 nights in hospital was 286,000 baht. eah room has a microwave oven which is necessary as the cental kitchen seems to be in downtown BKK as every meal was cold.

4 things spring to mind, 1 there is no anaesthetic which is no problem as there is very little pain, 2 you even get a VCD of what they did but it is black and white with no sound, 3 you get woken every 4 hours for blood pressure and temperatue check, and every 2 hours in the recovery room and 4 the night before a very pretty nurse shaves you from belly button to just above the knees.

Luckily she uses an electric razor or I might have been a 124 kg katoey as she nicked me a few times.

Now all I have to do is cut back on drinking, easy as I only drink seriuosly about once a month, quit smoking, did that 36 years ago, change my diet for a healthy one, OK I suppose, and exercise to loose weight, nasty one that. :D

I did ask the doctor if I would be able to play golf after the operation, couldn't plat anyway before but it went over his head.

Do I feel better now? At this point no change really as haven't done very much of the above yet, but I will look this thread up in about 3 months and see what happens.

:D:D:o