Two American tourists detained in N Korea to face trial: KCNA

webfact

Two American tourists detained in N Korea to face trial: KCNA

Seoul (AFP) - North Korea said Monday two detained American tourists would face trial for charges including "perpetrating hostile acts".

The state-run KCNA news agency said suspicions about "hostile acts" by Matthew Todd Miller and Jeffrey Edward Fowle had been confirmed by evidence and their testimony.

"The relevant organ of the (North) is carrying on the investigation into them and making preparations for bringing them to court on the basis of the already confirmed charges," it said.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-06-30

Definition of an idiot = American traveling to NK.

NK looks for any excuse to get back at America and this would go for Iran as well. There are other countries in the world that Americans would be singled out, but those two countries are the absolute worst. I would never, ever consider visiting either of these countries.

NK looks for any excuse to get back at America and this would go for Iran as well. There are other countries in the world that Americans would be singled out, but those two countries are the absolute worst. I would never, ever consider visiting either of these countries.

As lostsoul said: you would be fine if you didn't run your mouth about the leadership. The DPRK's government has on many occasions stated it's quarrel is with the American government, not the people.

I met Americans on my visit there. None had any issues.

"The relevant organ of the (North) is carrying on the investigation into them and making preparations for bringing them to court on the basis of the already confirmed charges," it said.

That's why the tourists booked North Korea, the advertisement said that once there, a relevant northern organ would be investigating into them, a bit kinky but to each it's own...

Well, call me an idiot, because I'd go in a heartbeat.

Not sure I'd be evangelizing anyone, or trying to get them into my Amway downline, though.

FWIW:

KCNA said earlier that Miller entered North Korea April 10 with a tourist visa which he then tore up at Pyongyang airport, and shouted that he wanted asylum. Fowle arrived on April 29. Japan's Kyodo News reported he was later detained for leaving a Bible in his hotel room. A family spokesman said Fowle was not on a mission for his church, according to the Associated Press.

Source:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/06/29/nkorea-indict-americans/11726299/

I'm sure there's more to the story because thousands of western tourists visit NK each year and most of them make it home just fine.

Edited by impulse

I don't have any desire to go to NK, but I think it's the same in many countries. Don't shoot your mouth off about certain subjects which are likely to offend. Like in T'land, I never repeat( or I take care) any of the stories I have heard about CERTAIN people.

• Like 1

Although I feel for them, only idiots travel that country.

Only idiots?

I would love to travel to North Korea,I am not an idiot either.

They probably got pissed and offended a local by speaking their mind about 'the dear leader' or the country's politics.

If you are a genuine tourist and not interested in voicing 'concerns' then you will be fine in NK.

You start opening your stupid gob, especially knowing it can bring you trouble, then you will get exactly that.

People should feel free to visit, but at the same time they can observe, have their opinions but discuss their feelings safely in private.

No sympathy here.

Haha, love your lead in statements. Your idiot statement is analogous to whether a crazy person knows their crazy.

You have nothing but speculation to support your belief as to why they were held or what conduct they displayed resulting in their detention. You don't know so to blame potentially innocent victims for their detention reflects a personal dysfunction more than the reality of a situation where innocent people with good intentions could have been victimized.

I saw a picture of the 54 year old with his family and this guy does not look like the type to create some political bs. Trying to spread religion came to my mind, but that is my personal dysfunction and I have no proof to support that accusation either.

People from US are truly taking a risk traveling to NK and the chances are high they will be picked up and detained on some trumped up political bs. This is NK's MO at all levels under fat boy's leadership.

This also provides another means for fat boy to stay in the news, get more attention and occupy US's time and resources as we will likely try and reach out to NK to get the detainee's back.

I remember going to East Berlin frequently. There were rules. No western newspapers, magazines, cameras, or currency. When you went to the checkpoint, it could take half a day to get through. I cannot imagine that North Korea is less onerous than East Berlin. But at least East Berlin had some good museums and archives worth trying to research. I do remember lines of people stretching around several city blocks in order to wait for their turn to get in the swimming pool.

Well, call me an idiot, because I'd go in a heartbeat.

Not sure I'd be evangelizing anyone, or trying to get them into my Amway downline, though.

FWIW:

KCNA said earlier that Miller entered North Korea April 10 with a tourist visa which he then tore up at Pyongyang airport, and shouted that he wanted asylum. Fowle arrived on April 29. Japan's Kyodo News reported he was later detained for leaving a Bible in his hotel room. A family spokesman said Fowle was not on a mission for his church, according to the Associated Press.

Source:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/06/29/nkorea-indict-americans/11726299/

I'm sure there's more to the story because thousands of western tourists visit NK each year and most of them make it home just fine.

Well, call me an idiot, because I'd go in a heartbeat.”

If you want to go there , I recommend going with Koryo which goes from Beijing and you should go because its fascinating. They take a tour group there every month and have been going for years. Nicholas Bonner the owner of Koryo used to work for the BBC and has filmed many documentaries there and now has a trusted relationship with the North Korean government . On your visit you would be accompanied by Simon Cockerell who explains everything about what not say or dosmile.png

http://www.koryogroup.com/about_staff.php

Edited by midas

Interesting to see correlation between those so vocal about US economy and those thinking NK would be a great place to visit and placing blame on detainees for their detention.

What is there to see in NK? Starving people repressed by an insane power hungry paranoid dictator with a deep seeded inferiority or short man's complex. Perhaps seeing the effects of living in an impoverished economy is exciting to some. Sadly, those delusional missionary types wanting to help people there are perhaps less idiotic than those non-missionary type for wanting to visit such a miserable place that can turn on you in an instant.

Unless family ties, from there, have the missionary type angle or are a veteran wanting to return, it would seem that rational, sane people would likely be drawn to vacation at just about any other destination on earth.

Forget Fiji this year, I am going to Somolia this year. Yep, makes perfect sense . . . That is unless you are a do good et type going to help people in one of the s-hole countries.

Interesting to see correlation between those so vocal about US economy and those thinking NK would be a great place to visit and placing blame on detainees for their detention.

What is there to see in NK? Starving people repressed by an insane power hungry paranoid dictator with a deep seeded inferiority or short man's complex. Perhaps seeing the effects of living in an impoverished economy is exciting to some. Sadly, those delusional missionary types wanting to help people there are perhaps less idiotic than those non-missionary type for wanting to visit such a miserable place that can turn on you in an instant.

Unless family ties, from there, have the missionary type angle or are a veteran wanting to return, it would seem that rational, sane people would likely be drawn to vacation at just about any other destination on earth.

Forget Fiji this year, I am going to Somolia this year. Yep, makes perfect sense . . . That is unless you are a do good et type going to help people in one of the s-hole countries.

" What is there to see in NK? "

I once went to Wichita, Kansas and I can tell you without hesitation I found it far more stimulating in North Koreagiggle.gif

" What is there to see in NK? "

I once went to Wichita, Kansas and I can tell you without hesitation I found it far more stimulating in North Koreagiggle.gif

Who goes to Wichita Kansas for vacationing unless storm chasing in the Spring and why would you use that as an example?

Although I feel for them, only idiots travel that country.

Only idiots?

I would love to travel to North Korea,I am not an idiot either.

They probably got pissed and offended a local by speaking their mind about 'the dear leader' or the country's politics.

If you are a genuine tourist and not interested in voicing 'concerns' then you will be fine in NK.

You start opening your stupid gob, especially knowing it can bring you trouble, then you will get exactly that.

People should feel free to visit, but at the same time they can observe, have their opinions but discuss their feelings safely in private.

No sympathy here.

Not saying anyone is an idiot for wanting to travel to a certain place.

But there is a time and place for everything.

Unless one think the reports coming out from NK about the conditions there are pure lies, and one want to travel there because it is such a nice country to visit.

Then, yes one can be called an idiot.

How can anyone travel and enjoy their trip when they know how the entire population there live?

A bit like going on holiday to Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge period.

I would love to travel to NK.

The Internment camps would be fascinating to see. Over 200,000 political prisoners, men, woman and children locked up for life if not starved or beaten to death first.

You could get some great videos of executions, and perhaps a few mementos from the souvenir shops at the camps.

A lifetime of memories to share with your friends and loved ones back home!

I would rather travel to the North Pole, without a jacket. I would rather swim across the English Channel, without a life vest. I would rather eat bread and water for three months, than visit that rat infested land. Kim can kiss my butt. He is a fat, silly, impotent, angry, murderous thug, who inherited his fathers 50,000 bottle wine collection, and seems to get joy from watching his people starve. A Charles Manson of a leader. A real slime bucket.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Im sure if you were a great leaders statue spotter theres loads to see in NK ... other than that I dont see the point of doing a goldfish bowel, rehearsed who to talk to and what about and where you must and musnt go tour.

id rather stick pins in my eyes. coffee1.gif

Yes, it is kind of amazing how some of us don’t buy the Kool-Aid we’re peddled by our bought-and-paid-for politicians, zillionaire-owned media, and the financial experts who (among other things) short stocks right before railing against the company they’ve just shorted- and we actually express an interest in seeing countries, and researching things for ourselves.

Some of us actually like to learn stuff and experience new, and potentially unsettling things on holiday, as an alternative to drunken, very predictable debauchery.

• Like 2

Yes, it is kind of amazing how some of us don’t buy the Kool-Aid we’re peddled by our bought-and-paid-for politicians, zillionaire-owned media, and the financial experts who (among other things) short stocks right before railing against the company they’ve just shorted- and we actually express an interest in seeing countries, and researching things for ourselves.

Some of us actually like to learn stuff and experience new, and potentially unsettling things on holiday, as an alternative to drunken, very predictable debauchery.

“don’t buy the Kool-Aid we’re peddled “thumbsup.gif

When I went there I found it very interesting to hear “ the other side " of the story …….ph34r.png

Yes, it is kind of amazing how some of us dont buy the Kool-Aid were peddled by our bought-and-paid-for politicians, zillionaire-owned media, and the financial experts who (among other things) short stocks right before railing against the company theyve just shorted- and we actually express an interest in seeing countries, and researching things for ourselves.

I agree with you but for one thing - there is drunken debauchery there too in the evenings if you want it. Man, those guides can drink and be a laugh if you stay on their good side!

Yes, it is kind of amazing how some of us dont buy the Kool-Aid were peddled by our bought-and-paid-for politicians, zillionaire-owned media, and the financial experts who (among other things) short stocks right before railing against the company theyve just shorted- and we actually express an interest in seeing countries, and researching things for ourselves.

I agree with you but for one thing - there is drunken debauchery there too in the evenings if you want it. Man, those guides can drink and be a laugh if you stay on their good side!

I note you display the North Korean flag as an avatar Baboon.

Are you a citizen? If so, I would be interested to hear about your access to travel outside your country and how your use of social media is viewed by authorities in your country.

• Like 1