Thai Customs for passengers travelling in and out of Thailand.

neverdie

if that would really be enforced... tablet, phone, watch would all need to be left home... even 80K can be easily reached and then they would confiscated your stuff...

but since they still allow you to take in 20'000 USD, you could at least buy everything you need in Thailand... maybe that is the whole trick behind enforcing the law now?

Reading the Thai information tells me that there is a form that can be filled out and lodged with Customs as one exits the Kingdom, where you can record down what expensive items your leaving with, so that you can get back in with them.

Sounds like a lot of paperwork and effort to me, however, being already outside with considerable gear and not having that opportunity isn't very pleasing.

I'm still wondering what's going to happen with Thais that are presently living outside Thailand and their personal affects. What about Foreigners relocating or returning to Thailand.....what about the previous rules that related to this ?

• Like 1

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would ask that the moderators check out this story which is now running in several online publications including the largest english language media group. This has the potential to immediately negatively impact every tourist and resident except backpackers entering or leaving Thailand. Consider moving to the news thread for the widest possible dissemination.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

sounds more like a sanctioned scam, where the confiscators (if you can't afford the coffee money), take your goods and sell it themselves.

The rules may come from above, but all the low level red-cap uniforms will be rubbing their hands...

Well, these rules have always been there, but have never been enforced. It would be great, if they would start enforcing them now clap2.gif It would do wonders for tourism ...

Zig, Stop there. I'm not so sure about your statement, as I believe the amounts have changed. Also concerning is the old rules allowed certain concessions for Thais that resided outside Thailand for more than a year AND foreigners relocating to Thailand for work purposes etc.

Hold the horses !

Entered Thailand 10 years never ask or check anything

Congratulations Sandwich,

I've never been to Thailand but I've seen a few brochures and a travel show once.

Apparently this is so ethi g which has just started in the last few days, so unless you've arrived to Thailand in the last couple of days Your comment adds absolutely no value to the thread but thanks for proving that you are a newbie to Thailand.

cheers.

in defence of Sandman...

before i settled here i must have travelled in/out Thailand 60-70 times (starting in 1973). not once was i stopped by any customs officer. the declaration slip, mandatory in olden times, was handed over when passing by without stopping.

one of my friends arrived last saturday. he did not report anything special concerning customs.

• Like 2

sounds more like a sanctioned scam, where the confiscators (if you can't afford the coffee money), take your goods and sell it themselves.

The rules may come from above, but all the low level red-cap uniforms will be rubbing their hands...

Well, these rules have always been there, but have never been enforced. It would be great, if they would start enforcing them now clap2.gif It would do wonders for tourism ...

Zig, Stop there. I'm not so sure about your statement, as I believe the amounts have changed. Also concerning is the old rules allowed certain concessions for Thais that resided outside Thailand for more than a year AND foreigners relocating to Thailand for work purposes etc.

Hold the horses !

now, this sounds more realistic, as it's basically what happens in other country i.e. Australia

The dutiable items are intended for personal use;

They are at a reasonable quantity and not intended for commercial use, business, or trade purposes;

The total value is not exceeding 80,000 Baht; and

Passengers are able to pay taxes and duties in cash on the date of arrival.

Maybe lost in translation

If the dutiable items are intended for personal use and

They are at a reasonable quantity and not intended for commercial use, business, or trade purposes and

The total value is not exceeding 80,000 Baht; then

Passengers are not liable to pay taxes and duties in cash on the date of arrival.

Possibly to control the suitcases full of cash being loaded on departing crafts.

Yes, well, that covers the outgoings, but doesn't really explain the incoming stuff.

I was going to salute you for your insight......but on second thoughts tongue.png

Well perhaps to give them a bit more ammunition to stop some folks on high end shopping trips overseas. Hmmmmmmmm does that sound better?

Yes, I can see what it's about, but I can just see a lot of pai. for those coming and going with their own stuff.

One could only hope this will be policed to the targeted group.

Not to mention Thais living outside Thailand ATM......they use to be able to retur. with their personal effects, no tax, now what?

I think Thai returnees fall under the category of Importation of personal effects .Which is clearly stated in the customs web page. I really do not think they fall under the scrutiny of airport or regular customs constraints .They have to provide all the paperwork.

I'm hoping that's right Rooooooo !

As usual, confusion reigns.

I will be interested in hearing from TVF members, like soutpeel and others who are flying in constantly with all their fancy stuff. (no I'm not talking about small furry creatures).

Typically, it's the Thais arriving after trips abroad to purchase stuff and sell online that seem to be the target, yet I wonder how many others might get caught in the net. :(

• Like 1

The dutiable items are intended for personal use;

They are at a reasonable quantity and not intended for commercial use, business, or trade purposes;

The total value is not exceeding 80,000 Baht; and

Passengers are able to pay taxes and duties in cash on the date of arrival.

Maybe lost in translation

If the dutiable items are intended for personal use and

They are at a reasonable quantity and not intended for commercial use, business, or trade purposes and

The total value is not exceeding 80,000 Baht; then

Passengers are not liable to pay taxes and duties in cash on the date of arrival.

Whilst I see what you are saying (& it doesn't seem to be a translation issue) it still doesn't change the fact that 80k baht of personal stuff isn't that much.

Seriously, IPhone 30k, IPad 30k, Leaves 20k for everything else and it wouldn't be hard to go over that.....heck. Of course, I won't even mention Sheila's with their shoes and handbags, makeup and all that rubbish they wear !

Can anyone else see the problem I'm thinking.

Let me tell you, the Thai document indicates people caught with amounts over this can be fined 4 x the amount of the deemed value PLUS the taxes applicable OR face confiscation of the said goods.

Anyway, it will be good to see what is said next. The procedure for leaving the country, filling out forms, having stuff inspected etc sounds by time consuming and tedious......might have to goto the airport the day before the flight out.

I would ask that the moderators check out this story which is now running in several online publications including the largest english language media group. This has the potential to immediately negatively impact every tourist and resident except backpackers entering or leaving Thailand. Consider moving to the news thread for the widest possible dissemination.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

YES. THANKYOU Grantbkk. Just remember it was brought to you care of neverdie pty, ltd ;)

But seriously, I'm not just blowing off steam, goofing off or losing my mind, this is apparently something that is happening & not making a lot of sense, which confirms it really.

• Like 1

If they start confiscating tourist belongings, you can bet tourism will be done. When these people start complaining to their embassy's the embassy's will put out another travel warning on coming to Thailand.

• Like 1

I am going to the UK next month, I am taking my laptop, Ipad and smartphone with me which I bought over here. Will I have a problem? Will I be able to get a receipt for them somewhere at the airport before I fly out? Anyone know?

Possibly to control the suitcases full of cash being loaded on departing crafts.
Yes, well, that covers the outgoings, but doesn't really explain the incoming stuff.

I was going to salute you for your insight......but on second thoughts tongue.png

Well perhaps to give them a bit more ammunition to stop some folks on high end shopping trips overseas. Hmmmmmmmm does that sound better?

Yes, I can see what it's about, but I can just see a lot of pai. for those coming and going with their own stuff.

One could only hope this will be policed to the targeted group.

Not to mention Thais living outside Thailand ATM......they use to be able to retur. with their personal effects, no tax, now what?

I think Thai returnees fall under the category of Importation of personal effects .Which is clearly stated in the customs web page. I really do not think they fall under the scrutiny of airport or regular customs constraints .They have to provide all the paperwork.

I'm hoping that's right Rooooooo !

As usual, confusion reigns.

I will be interested in hearing from TVF members, like soutpeel and others who are flying in constantly with all their fancy stuff. (no I'm not talking about small furry creatures).

Typically, it's the Thais arriving after trips abroad to purchase stuff and sell online that seem to be the target, yet I wonder how many others might get caught in the net. :(

Personally I think too much is being read into all this.....yes come in with 1 900k watch will be OK, its personal usage come in with 2 and they catch you then yes hand in pocket for duty on the 2nd one same almost all other countries

I am out of Thailand at the moment but will let you know in a week or so.... My prediction nothing has changed for people provided your not bring stuff in to sell in Thailand

But just in case I am wrong, what is the import tax on furry rodents ?

Edited by Soutpeel

It is easy to see why this apparent "crackdown " is causing so much concern.

Thai authorities have a long track record of creating vague regulations and laws that are open to abuse, usually by corrupt officials who intend to use the lack of clarity as a tool to extort money or advantage from ordinary people who do not have smart expensive lawyers.

This appears to be yet another example of an old law which is selectively enforced and provides just such an opportunity.

Nevertheless, the probability is that it will not affect the vast majority of foreign visitors who pass through Royal Thai Customs.

• Like 2

Seriously, IPhone 30k, IPad 30k, Leaves 20k for everything else and it wouldn't be hard to go over that.....heck. Of course, I won't even mention Sheila's with their shoes and handbags, makeup and all that rubbish they wear !

Can anyone else see the problem I'm thinking.

I DO see the problem you think of... and the text on the Thai government website about Travellers arriving in Thailand does NOT distinguish between Tourists or Thailand (Thai or Foreigner) residents returning home.

As you said, my phone is 20, my tablet 25K, my Rado alone is 70K and my clothes are around 20K, so I am massively over 80K Baht, which means "such items will be sent to a warehouse for formal import Customs procedures"... which for a tourist means, he can be happy if he gets his stuff back when he leaves two weeks later...

This would really be death to tourism

• Like 1

It is easy to see why this apparent "crackdown " is causing so much concern.

Thai authorities have a long track record of creating vague regulations and laws that are open to abuse, usually by corrupt officials who intend to use the lack of clarity as a tool to extort money or advantage from ordinary people who do not have smart expensive lawyers.

This appears to be yet another example of an old law which is selectively enforced and provides just such an opportunity.

Nevertheless, the probability is that it will not affect the vast majority of foreign visitors who pass through Royal Thai Customs.

Most regulations and laws can be vague and open to interpretation, if they werent , there would be no lawyers in the world, Thailand is not unique in this regard Edited by Soutpeel

I've never been to Thailand but I've seen a few brochures and a travel show once.

Apparently this is so ethi g which has just started in the last few days, so unless you've arrived to Thailand in the last couple of days Your comment adds absolutely no value to the thread but thanks for proving that you are a newbie to Thailand.

cheers.

in defence of Sandman...

before i settled here i must have travelled in/out Thailand 60-70 times (starting in 1973). not once was i stopped by any customs officer. the declaration slip, mandatory in olden times, was handed over when passing by without stopping.

one of my friends arrived last saturday. he did not report anything special concerning customs.

Thanks for the information about your friend.

I understand what you AND SANDMAN were saying Doctor Naam about all the years with no problems....but it takes us nowhere. I won't mention the times I was passing thru customs here in the 1930's during a flight I took with Imperial Airways on an 11 day hop flight with in excess of a dozen stops between London and Sydney Australia. Let me tell you, I recall the Captain announcing a layover in Bkk due to headwind which had our land speed down to just 100 miles an hour. Anyway, I recall I didn't have a problem back then either, but it still takes us nowhere in 2014.

• Like 2

wow! ND - was it in a Heracles or maybe a Clipper - if you can remember?

I'd have to learn new thai numbers, just to be able to say your age vintage vampire.gif

Edited by tifino

cheers.

in defence of Sandman...

I understand what you AND SANDMAN were saying Doctor Naam about all the years with no problems....but it takes us nowhere. I won't mention the times I was passing thru customs here in the 1930's during a flight I took with Imperial Airways on an 11 day hop flight with in excess of a dozen stops between London and Sydney Australia. Let me tell you, I recall the Captain announcing a layover in Bkk due to headwind which had our land speed down to just 100 miles an hour. Anyway, I recall I didn't have a problem back then either, but it still takes us nowhere in 2014.

you can take my word that nothing will change as far a Thai customs (airport arrivals) are concerned.

we can also make a bet:

-if i win you mowe my lawn till end 2014,

-if i lose i will not mowe your lawn till end 2014.

• Like 1

I must be reading the OP wrong so I need some clarification please.....

I am just about to go back to Australia for a few weeks, I will have my lap top, phone and personal effects, about (80,000TB). I intend to bring back with me 3 complete fishing outfits valued at around 150,000TB. Along with my other personal effects the total value of all these things combined will be well over 200,000TB. Am I going to have to pay import duties and fees on these things when returning to Thailand?

Takes me back to what we did in malaysia in the 70's - will just have to resume the packing of extremely smelly socks and sportsgear, just to put Customs nose out of joint, but distracts them no-end...

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

cheers.

in defence of Sandman...

you can take my word that nothing will change as far a Thai customs (airport arrivals) are concerned.

we can also make a bet:

-if i win you mowe my lawn till end 2014,

-if i lose i will not mowe your lawn till end 2014.

Are you trying to 'cut my grass' Doctor Naam? My wife said you were a good looking man for a 90 year old. ;)

I expect our 50 Rai to be cut with Nail clippers, weekly.

I am hoping you are right and something tells me you will be, however, I'm trying to work out all the hoo aha and detail.

Takes me back to what we did in malaysia in the 70's - will just have to resume the packing of extremely smelly socks and sportsgear, just to put Customs nose out of joint, but distracts them no-end...

Not into Malaysia, but another Muslim country.. 3 weeks dirty washing, skiddy under pants in one suitcase along with packs of frozen bacon, never got caught once, one suspects down to the aroma coming off my dirty skivvies

I must be reading the OP wrong so I need some clarification please.....

I am just about to go back to Australia for a few weeks, I will have my lap top, phone and personal effects, about (80,000TB). I intend to bring back with me 3 complete fishing outfits valued at around 150,000TB. Along with my other personal effects the total value of all these things combined will be well over 200,000TB. Am I going to have to pay import duties and fees on these things when returning to Thailand?

Johnny,

I'm not trying to alarm anyone, but rather report what I saw in the Thai news today. I believe from what the Thai customs site says, link in OP, that there is a form which can be filled out when departing Thailand, where your phone, laptop and personal effects can be inspected and listed, so tax won't apply on those items. Returning with 3 fishing outfits worth 150k THB might be problematic. Having said that, this is all media and social media hype, backed up by Customs web page (in Thai) and some shiney new signs at Suvarnabhumi airport.

At this point it's anyone's guess.

Perhaps information through the media may become clearer in the next few days. I can assure you that TVF is not the only place this discussion is happening.

• Like 1

wow! ND - was it in a Heracles or maybe a Clipper - if you can remember?

I'd have to learn new thai numbers, just to be able to say your age vintage vampire.gif

Ohhh, I remember well and I remember the horse and carriage ride through down town Bangkok towards the hotel. Ahh the good old days.

post-53176-0-48302400-1404215335_thumb.j

Eight days from London to Singapore, stops in Paris, Brindisi, Athens, Alexandria, Cairo, Gaza, Baghdad, Basra, Kuwait, Bahrain, Sharjah, Gwadar, Karachi, Jodhpur, Delhi, Cawnpore, Allabad, Calcutta, Akgats, Rangoon, Bangkok and Alor Setar.

and you were questioning my memory :P

Edited by neverdie

UPDATE

Just seen news on the homepage of the newspaper which can not be copied here, just few sentences from there:

"The 10,000 baht duty-free limit on new personal items purchased overseas by incoming air passengers is now being strictly policed, the Customs Department announced on Tuesday.

The Suvarnabhumi Airport Passenger Control Customs Bureau will calculate the value of all personal items - souvenirs, gifts or brandname goods - purchased overseas.If the combined value of those products exceed 10,000 baht, passengers and airline crew will have to pay import duty

Signs announcing enforcement of the limit were placed at the airport, explaining that "personal goods" includes new clothes, shoes, socks and bags in non-commercial form"

According to this, it is all about "new" stuff - clearly showing that they target purchase abroad which might be sold in Thailand (or should have been bought in Thailand...) ... however, only time will show how this will be enacted on "normal" tourist clothes and goods
  • Like 2

Strict 10,000 Baht duty free limit now being enforced at Thailand airports

BANGKOK:-- Thailand’s Customs Bureau has announced that the 10,000 Baht duty free limit on new personal goods bought overseas will now be more thoroughly enforced.

The news comes as Customs try to tackle the on-going problem of people bringing goods into Thailand for resale without paying the necessary import duty.

Incoming passengers arriving by air are advised that Customs will now be calculating the value of all personal goods that have been purchased overseas. This includes souvenirs and brand name items such as clothes, watches and other designer goods. Should the value of the goods exceed 10,000 Baht passengers will have to pay import duty.

Signs informing passengers of the enforcement of the 10,000 Baht limit were in place at Survanabhumi airport on Tuesday morning.

If passengers bring goods into Thailand exceeding the value of 10,000 Baht then they should be declared to Customs prior to their baggage being X-rayed in order for the the correct amount of duty to be paid.

Any items which are undeclared will be seized and passengers may then have to pay as much as four times the value of the goods, as well the amount of duty.

The Customs Bureau also confirmed that cosmetic items, food and supplements will not be subject of a duty waiver and reminded travellers that they are limited to one litre of duty free liquor or wine and 200 duty free cigarettes.

Items such as gifts, collectables or second hand goods will not be considered as personal items but passengers should still inform Customs Officials prior to the X-ray of their luggage.

Items such as designer handbags, watches or clothing that has been purchased overseas and exceeds the value of 10,000 Baht will be subject to duty, even if the items in question are being worn.

Individuals in possession of goods that require duty to be paid but who refuse to allow the goods in question to be seized by officials can expect to go to court over the matter.

Should the individual then lost the case, they will be liable to pay up to four times the value of the goods and the required duty in fines or could even face a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

Source: Customs Bureau (information in Thai) http://www2.customs.go.th/Traveller/TravellerInfo.jsp

tvn.png
-- 2014-07-01

• Like 1