Thai Customs for passengers travelling in and out of Thailand.

neverdie

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Guys

This is required in all countries. I left New Zealand with 38,000 NZ$ I declared it at NZ customs no problems I arrived in Bangkok and declared it at customs, I was taken into the office they made out a form which I signed they gave me a copy and said ok thanks, <deleted> *##*f now. Very good and respectfully dealt with.

Declare all and be safe. You declare and you have proof you brought it in when you want to take it out.

what about bringing in Dry food (no meat, cigs or liquer ) for private use as living in Thailand under Retirement extension ? like chocolate ,vacuum packed cheese cookies and so many other typicall home products/ labels ? for personal consumption ? value less than 10 000 bath , prouven by payment tickets ....

No need for conspiracy theories. The other topic started in news was amalgamated with this one & all the posts moved here.

It was either that or close this one & leave the news one running.

Welcome to LOS and Thainess!!:)

2 years ago, my son and his mother visited me and my Thai wife. My son is blind, his 71 year old mother is not an experienced traveller, were separated at customs so Customs could interrogate him about his fishing gear (its his only pleasure) They kept him alone for 2 hours, and on completion of their enquires, refused to help him return to his mother. Meanwhile I was left in a state of deep concern and bewilderment at the meeting point for 3 hours plus. After asking all the authorities about the delay'

NO NEED TO SAY WHAT MY OPINION OF THAI CUSTOMS IS

What brings a tourist?

Suitcase hardshell B 10000

Sunglasses 2 pair. B15000

Camera. B15000

Few brand name

Shirts/ shorts. B20.000

Watch(no rolex). B20.000

Jewerly (no much). B80.000

Phone. B25.000

Tablet. B20.000

Cosmetics. B10.000

2 pair shoes. B15.000

Total. B240.000

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

There is only one rule in entering Thailand and not getting searched. If your a farang and you dont have any cardboard boxes and none of those ridiculous plastic fiber massive colorful bags bring whatever you want in. It works year after year after year.

facepalm.gif "Items such as designer handbags, watches or clothing that has been purchased overseas and exceeds the value of 10,000 Baht will be subject to duty, even if the items in question are being worn."facepalm.gif

They can question your old rolex and LV bagsthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

UPDATE

Just seen news on the homepage of the newspaper which can not be copied here, just few sentences from there:

"The 10,000 baht duty-free limit on new personal items purchased overseas by incoming air passengers is now being strictly policed, the Customs Department announced on Tuesday.

The Suvarnabhumi Airport Passenger Control Customs Bureau will calculate the value of all personal items - souvenirs, gifts or brandname goods - purchased overseas.If the combined value of those products exceed 10,000 baht, passengers and airline crew will have to pay import duty

Signs announcing enforcement of the limit were placed at the airport, explaining that "personal goods" includes new clothes, shoes, socks and bags in non-commercial form"

According to this, it is all about "new" stuff - clearly showing that they target purchase abroad which might be sold in Thailand (or should have been bought in Thailand...) ... however, only time will show how this will be enacted on "normal" tourist clothes and goods

I. still concerned by this.

So I return and they say my 2yo camera gear is new, but it's not. My 10 year old lenses look new but they're still 10 years old, as is my watch.

they are not interested in your 10 year old camera,, it will not take a lot of investigation to know that the model is 10 years old.

This is to stop the people coming in with lots of expensive items for so called personal sue which is clearly for re sale.

Generally speaking if you are not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. I just came back form a business trip overseas,, i had 2 mobile phones, Macbook, my watch (which I was wearing of course) and some jewelry and had absolutely no problems at all.

All of these items were mine, not for re sale and they obviously knew that. If they started stoping everyone with a camera and laptop for investigation they will need to employ a lot more people to get everyone through customs.

• Like 2

I have never come to Thailand with less than 100k Baht in valuables in my luggage; 10k Baht is absurd my watch is worth 10 times that alone. Most everyone travels with a laptop, camera and mobile phone that alone are worth close to 100k Baht. This news article has to be being misinterpreted.

I must be reading the OP wrong so I need some clarification please.....

I am just about to go back to Australia for a few weeks, I will have my lap top, phone and personal effects, about (80,000TB). I intend to bring back with me 3 complete fishing outfits valued at around 150,000TB. Along with my other personal effects the total value of all these things combined will be well over 200,000TB. Am I going to have to pay import duties and fees on these things when returning to Thailand?

Johnny,

I'm not trying to alarm anyone, but rather report what I saw in the Thai news today. I believe from what the Thai customs site says, link in OP, that there is a form which can be filled out when departing Thailand, where your phone, laptop and personal effects can be inspected and listed, so tax won't apply on those items. Returning with 3 fishing outfits worth 150k THB might be problematic. Having said that, this is all media and social media hype, backed up by Customs web page (in Thai) and some shiney new signs at Suvarnabhumi airport.

At this point it's anyone's guess.

Perhaps information through the media may become clearer in the next few days. I can assure you that TVF is not the only place this discussion is happening.

If you are entering as tourist you would of course have a return ticket, so the items should be viewed as not staying in the country to be sold duty free. If someone is entering in the hope of selling items duty free be carefull I've heard there's a crackdown, or open up a legit import export compant.

If they ask about the fishing gear just start going on about fishing and how much you love it etc.etc.etc as fishing finatics do. They will move you on quickly

If your bringing the gear over to keep in Thailand, yeah best have the duty on you as cash/ find out if they are dutyable items from customs on the way out!...good luck Let us know how that works out!

Iv'e had the question "are these items business samples for commercial use" asked of me by Australian customs when a GF gave me boxes of those 3 in 1 diet coffe sashae s to give to my mum...they accepted my explanation.

Yes it is open to corruption.

Duty (economics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_(economics)

In economics, a duty is a kind of tax, often associated with customs, levied by a state. The term is often used to describe a tax on certain items purchased abroad.

I dont think CK's and dirty socks are duty able items more likley cigaretts, alcohol perfumes AND electronics. Stuff for sale at the airport.

Suitcase hardshell B 10000
Sunglasses 2 pair. B15000
Camera. B15000
Few brand name
Shirts/ shorts. B20.000
Watch(no rolex). B20.000
Jewerly (no much). B80.000
Phone. B25.000
Tablet. B20.000
Cosmetics. B10.000
2 pair shoes. B15.000

Stories about being harrassed by customs as a guenine tourist in a tourism reliant country...Pricless

Thanks to all defending me! !

My wife translate from Thai news same another poster tell before , it's only for large import of alcohol cigarettes and clothes for resale

The rest of personal goods we will see what happens , a detail that I not read here yet is , when the value of a item is not declared

Then it wil be valued , and

4 time higher price then the value was can be taxed!

That's a very unclear point,lies in the discretion of the officials

How the want tax my 3 year old iPad

20000 baht I not declare not have any bill,

But that value of goods go down when get older thainess don't know!

So a lot of topics about tax scam will come!

TIT!

• Like 1

My wife translate from Thai news same another poster tell before , it's only for large import of alcohol cigarettes and clothes for resale

The rest of personal goods we will see what happens , a detail that I not read here yet is , when the value of a item is not declared

TIT!

I think people have been interpreting this post too literally. Your clothes, watch, computer, phone etc. are not going to be taxed especially when they are obviously used.

If the Customs officials find more than one watch on you they are going to ask questions especially if you have a new box for it. So if you are buying something like an expensive handbag or watch don't take your old one with you and mail the box to Thailand if you need it. Just common sense.

• Like 1

Now we know in some minor way what a drug dealer feels like, illegally trafficking through customs wondering if hes going to get caught... only this way with such a dumb low amount its almost impossible to ever be within the law. I do so love being considered a criminal... not bah.gif

This may be a story for the UK guardian newspaper to run.

Everyone entering Thailand is now breaking the law including tourists.

ALL including Tourists entering Thailand MUST declare combined goods valuing £200 and pay duty tax. Stiff penalties and fines for those caught breaking the laws which could lead to detention if the combined amount is over £1,500... blah blah blah

End of UK tourism to Thailand... rolleyes.gif

But the good news is

"UK Tax and Duty Free Allowances 2014

Travellers arriving in Britain from outside the European Union can now benefit from an increase in duty free shopping allowances. UK Duty Free Allowances in detail Goods valued up to £390 can be brought into the country without any duty payable on the purchases from January 1st 2010, including souvenirs, clothing, electrical goods and perfume"

http://www.taxfreetravel.com/UK%20duty%20free%20allowances

BTW how does £390 and UK income levels compare to £185 and Thai income levels?

Good questions Rubl.

In practice, HMRC, IME, have never really been too bothered about the average tourist. They wan't the the drugs mules, tobacco and booze smugglers; and those bringing stuff in for resale.

If you have over the limit, they will charge you VAT on the amount that is over.

I bought some expensive jewelry in Asia a long time back and declared it at Manchester Airport. (As a very regular business traveler I didn't want any ongoing problems with customs). Paid a small amount of tax and given an official receipt. Several trips later I had various presents, clothes for the kids etc as it was near Christmas. I was over the limit and mentioned it to the office. He just smiled and waived me through.

The way I read this is that they are after people going overseas and buying items to bring back and sell avoiding taxes and duties; or the rich hiso types who go on big buying trips. But, no doubt the enforcement will be somewhat different here than the UK!

A friend in Scotland sent some new children's clothes, and a cuddly toy for my kids last week. Couple of dresses, some new boots, t-shirts and one toy monkey. My kids are both under 10 so nothing massive. She sent it via the postal system and we has to pay 800 ThB "duty' at the post office to get the parcel. Petty.

TIT!

I think people have been interpreting this post too literally. Your clothes, watch, computer, phone etc. are not going to be taxed especially when they are obviously used.

If the Customs officials find more than one watch on you they are going to ask questions especially if you have a new box for it. So if you are buying something like an expensive handbag or watch don't take your old one with you and mail the box to Thailand if you need it. Just common sense.

I think we will only find out how the custom officers will interpret the law when we hear the first stories... but the problem is that you might find yourself in trouble - or I would have been in trouble 3 weeks ago when I entered Thailand with...

3 watches (my Rado, my dive Chrono and a cheap Swatch for the nights out)

3 phones (private Android phone, office Blackberry, old Android to be used with a Thai SIM)

1 tablet and 1 video cam

3 pairs of glasses (sun, reading, driving) with brand frames

clothes and shoes at around 30K Baht

Issue is that my dive Chrono, 2 of my phones, my tablet and my video cam ALL are 2014 items, since the old ones needed replacement. ALL of the items were / are for personal use and left Thailand with me.

but... how to explain 3 watches and 3 phones as "personal items" and being a "reasonable quantity" to the Thai custom official who does not speak English as well as I do (and I do not speak Thai)? How to explain the price of 3 phones when you did not pay for either (private phones free with the mobile contract, BB belonging to the company)?

All of my stuff above was in excess of 300K Baht, which could mean - depending in the interpretation of the law - confistcation, formal import Customs procedure, huge taxes and / or fines...So all we can do now is wait for people who got checked and hear what happened with their items...

• Like 1

The way I read this is that they are after people going overseas and buying items to bring back and sell avoiding taxes and duties; or the rich hiso types who go on big buying trips. But, no doubt the enforcement will be somewhat different here...

We can only hope that this is also the way the Thai customs officers read it... but as you said... TiT and we don't know until we hear and see what will happen

I think we will only find out how the custom officers will interpret the law when we hear the first stories... but the problem is that you might find yourself in trouble - or I would have been in trouble 3 weeks ago when I entered Thailand with...

3 watches (my Rado, my dive Chrono and a cheap Swatch for the nights out)

3 phones (private Android phone, office Blackberry, old Android to be used with a Thai SIM)

1 tablet and 1 video cam

3 pairs of glasses (sun, reading, driving) with brand frames

clothes and shoes at around 30K Baht

Issue is that my dive Chrono, 2 of my phones, my tablet and my video cam ALL are 2014 items, since the old ones needed replacement. ALL of the items were / are for personal use and left Thailand with me.

but... how to explain 3 watches and 3 phones as "personal items" and being a "reasonable quantity" to the Thai custom official who does not speak English as well as I do (and I do not speak Thai)? How to explain the price of 3 phones when you did not pay for either (private phones free with the mobile contract, BB belonging to the company)?

All of my stuff above was in excess of 300K Baht, which could mean - depending in the interpretation of the law - confistcation, formal import Customs procedure, huge taxes and / or fines...So all we can do now is wait for people who got checked and hear what happened with their items...

Well it seems to be academic now since the order has been cancelled but if the items don't have Thai IDs on them then you should declare them on exit. I've sent a few items back under warranty that I have purchased overseas and Customs will take a photo and you fill in a form and then you don't get charged when it's sent back.