What do Thai's mean when they say someone got sick because the weather changed?

tagranados

Old wives tale. Their great great grandma told great grandma, grandma told them the weather makes you sick. Not only the weather but the rain too!

I had a conversation about this with a Thai, and they told me it's because the waters dirty. I said to them, but the water you shower with is dirtier. Should of saw the confusion in their face...

You're so wrong! Barometric pressure changes can cause sinus problems, vertigo, headaches and even migraines. This is well documented and not an old wives tale. Do some research.

Some of you have been in Thailand too long if you think you can get sick from the rain. There might be some truth in people being more susceptible to catching a virus when they're cold as this lowers your immune system.

My son, who's two goes out in the rain all the time and has never been sick, maybe it's because I expose him to it and this has built up his immune system.

Anyone who does get sick from the rain must have been living in a bubble most of their life.

I didn't read the bit which was specific to rain. You're right, you can't sick from being in the rain. But barometric pressure changes, for example before a storm can cause people to get sick. Sinus problems, vertigo and headaches for example.

These are some of the things Thai girls have told me regularly:

• Rain will make you sick
  • Maybe you're sick because of the weather
  • Don't shower too late, it will make you sick
  • Don't drink cold drinks or eat ice cream if you have a sore throat

I understood it from my ex who while a lovely girl wasn't educated to a high level, however I get it from all types of friends and girls I date even girls who are educated to a much higher level.

Well, not to be a smartares, but...

getting wet in the rain and going into the aircon will make you sick.

weather changes can bring on a lot of allergies, which make you feel bad.

#1 again...and then being in the aircon, which thai people might have on before sleeping smile.png

cold drinks and icecream usually have a lot of sugar, which will inflame a soar throat smile.png

it's not inexperienced.

I should have been clearer, I meant getting wet full stop, not sitting in air con afterwards. For the cold drinks part the phrase they use is usually "don't drink cold water"

This is not old wives tales. It's well documented. Just do a bit of research before making yourself look dimwitted. It's to do with changes in barometric pressure. This is usually before a big storm. A sudden drop in air pressure can cause sinus problems (for people who generally have sinus issues especially). This drastic drop in pressure can cause vertigo and dizziness, headaches and even migraine. It's not new and it's very real.

Perhaps this will help? http://www.weather.com/health/weather-headache-20130426

Old wives tale. Their great great grandma told great grandma, grandma told them the weather makes you sick. Not only the weather but the rain too!

I had a conversation about this with a Thai, and they told me it's because the waters dirty. I said to them, but the water you shower with is dirtier. Should of saw the confusion in their face...

You're so wrong! Barometric pressure changes can cause sinus problems, vertigo, headaches and even migraines. This is well documented and not an old wives tale. Do some research.

yes these hefty changes in Europe can be felt.....But I always wonder: These are just very small changes in pressure, but when you go scuba diving and get a 3 bar difference it doesn't cause any problems. Never understood why....or maybe it is just too short.

yes these hefty changes in Europe can be felt.....But I always wonder: These are just very small changes in pressure, but when you go scuba diving and get a 3 bar difference it doesn't cause any problems. Never understood why....or maybe it is just too short.

The drop in pressure is far greater when a monsoon comes in fast than the barometric drops we would experience in Europe

Are you new here?

It means OPEN your wallet

<deleted> awesome! Lot's of great posts here! And, I have to say that I've received the nicest inbox messages today. What a lovely group of TVF friends you are. Many thanks for your input.

You want to an explanation? Fine. Headaches are a psychological system of hundreds of different conditions. You don't know which one, so you look up and see a cloud. Yes, it must be the cloud's fault. Oh, a breeze, it must be from the breeze. That does not mean these things are causally related.

Next, spelling. I can't spell very well. But this isn't a typewriter, it's a computer. Most computer programs that let you make posts to web forums have built in spell checkers. That means for someone to spell something that is not a word in English they would have to ignore the spell checker and post it wrong anyway. Why, I don't know, but they reely musct n0t kare howe there pos7s reed.

Edited by BudRight

I think it's more of a problem with new arrivals and those who still hop continents. After 5 years here, i am acclimated and immune, as i see the seasonal farangs melting.

Oh wow! ^ I've never been <deleted> before! I'm not a saucy girl (maybe saucy is going to get deleted too)...so, wow!

Ouch my ears a burning. Yes you have to watch what you <deleted> here. It's quite common for <deleted> to be <deleted>, even <deleted> <deleted> <deleted>.

Being born and living in the tropics, I definitely would not call this nonsense.

Even grandma's tales do have an iota of truth in it.

Just calling something nonsense because you are unaware of it is not very nice, isn't it?

We've got to accept the fact that no one person knows it all.

Just my humble opinion.

Edit

For example, why do people suffering from Rheumatism and Arthritis feel more comfortable in a warm climate? Is this also nonsense?

Edited by ravip

The drop in pressure is far greater when a monsoon comes in fast than the barometric drops we would experience in Europe

Really? I thought at home between the mountains on fast temperature changes it is the worst.....

Just remember what is in the atmosphere, the rain brings it down , Look up Fukushima , even small amounts of Radiation will reduce the Immune system.

You'll get more radiation from UV, x-rays and cosmic rays than you'll ever get from Fukushima fallout.

Getting sick from weather changes or dampness is nonsense, although it does improve the conditions under which people might be more likely to catch a virus or other bug. But the weather itself is not the direct causative agent.

Rhinovirus and influenza are rampant in the winter (i.e. "cold" months) NOT because of the cold, but because of the way we behave when it's cold. We stay indoors, huddled together in confined spaces. Our sinuses and mucus membranes dry out, making our eyes uncomfortable and us more likely to rub them. Nasal cavities become less moist and airborne germs don't get stuck in them as they enter our respiratory tract.

Yes people may feel glum or down in the dumps in inclement weather, but this is not due to some contagion. Although the gray skies might depress you and alter your moods and actions enough to make you more likely to pick up a bug (i.e. you're more likely to stay indoors and mingle with infectious people).

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

It comes from the belief that certain weather changes, especially rainfall is associated with catching viruses and other bugs.

Which basically translates in scientific terms to the proven fact that temperature fluctuations and prolonged hypothermia/hyperthermia can lead to circulatory and metabolic changes that depress your immune system via mechanisms such as dehydration, unproductive inflammatory responses and impaired immune/macrophage activity. And I haven't even touched on the subject of how certain pathogens thrive in certain weather. Though we don't think about it much we are constantly bombarded by pathogens everyday but the reason we do or don't get sick is because of how well our immune system is working so thus the origins of the wive's tale which does correlate scientifically.

Best defense? Strengthen your immune system by getting enough exercise. Enough sleep/rest. Keeping adequately hydrated (alcohol dehydrates the body). Chill out more (lower your stress). Avoid junk food and all those nasty habits.

Simple and common knowledge but how many of us actually do it??

Edited by smileydude