French ex-President Sarkozy held over influence claims

webfact

French ex-President Sarkozy held over influence claims

PARIS: -- French ex-President Nicolas Sarkozy remains in custody for questioning over alleged influence peddling.

Mr Sarkozy was detained near Paris on Tuesday morning in an unprecedented step against a former president.

He is being questioned about whether he sought inside information from a judge concerning an investigation into campaign funding.

In another development, his lawyer, Thierry Herzog, has been charged as part of the same investigation.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28103223

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-02

But this BBC article only mentions he is being held whereas the independent now reports he has actually been charged with corruption and is the first former French President to be taken into custody in a criminal investigation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/nicolas-sarkozy-charged-with-corruption-and-illegal-use-of-influence-by-police-9577763.html

I hope they succeed in digging up everything on this guy and I hope they expose it all for the world to see. If these allegations are correct he is a despicable person.

one minute he was putting the hard word on Muammar Gaddafi for €50 million and the next minute he was one of the most prominent world politicians pushing for the bombing of Libyabah.gif

The latest charges came to light when police tapped his phone while investigating allegations he sought €50 million from toppled Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, for his 2007 election campaign.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/nicolas-sarkozy-charged-with-corruption-and-illegal-use-of-influence-by-police-9577763.html

It seems of late that all ex...pm, presidents, heads of state, etc are being charged, jailed or held for "corruption" in office. I would contend that the requirements of the job cause a bit of fence straddling that if the results are positive, then all is well, but if the results are contended then it was "wrong". This could mean that the job needs to be eliminated and replaced with a committee that can manage the affairs of a country without a leader. Two examples come to mind, The USA had not had a "leader" for a long time and seems to be doing well. Thailand fits in that same shoe and the country outside of Bangkok is doing just fine and is nearly normal with or without a government.

Imagine an American president being charged, or held for corruption? My guess is that King George II, along with his cronies, such as Rumsfeld, Cheney, and others squirreled away billions of dollars. There was just too much money changing hands during the Iraq war, for them to not have profited from it. Yet, has anyone looked into it? Not that I know of.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app