rapid flashing / pulsing brake light kits in bkk ?

anyone know where to get these in thailand ?

i see lots of young guys on scooters with them

but i dont know what its called in thai or where

to get one

i imagine it will work the same on a larger bike

if anyones unfamiliar it works like when you hit the brakes it flashes quickly 4 times like a strobe light

and then stays on until you release the brakes

i will order one on ebay if i have to but they must be available in bkk because i see a lot of them around

I have a 'Back Off' brake-light modulator made by Signal Dynamics- I got it through eBay shipped to LOS for (iirc) less than 2K- my dealer installed it, but I don't think it was a big deal to set up.

It has two flashing options- one flashes four times and then stays on (which I use) and another repeats the flashing sequence.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/backoffxp

SBRKL02.jpg

Edited by RubberSideDown

I have a 'Back Off' brake-light modulator made by Signal Dynamics- I got it through eBay shipped to LOS for (iirc) less than 2K- my dealer installed it, but I don't think it was a big deal to set up.

It has two flashing options- one flashes four times and then stays on (which I use) and another repeats the flashing sequence.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/backoffxp

SBRKL02.jpg

thats almost exactly the thing i want lol

id just rather buy it and get it fitted today or tomorrow than order online and wait

im impatient :)

Yip Yap,

The problem with Bangkok is that it is a large place.

The ones i have seem flash like a F1 rain rear light and then come on solid when braking. You might also need LED rear lamp?

Edited by VocalNeal

Yip Yap,

The problem with Bangkok is that it is a large place.

The ones i have seem flash like a F1 rain rear light and then come on solid when braking. You might also need LED rear lamp?

i think the er6n already has a cluster of led brake light rather than a single bulb but i could be wrong about that

il google some more and then check a few shops

Guess you mean such an effect? A video in Thai found on this website:

http://www.jrmotor.com/light-box.html

They seem to call it: ไฟ แอ็คชั่น เบรค (fai action break)

The only Thai word is "faI" for light.

The other two are Thai transcript from the English words and sound similar tongue.png

Probably it is added "on off switch".

In Thai: สวิทซ์ ปิด เปิด (sawit pit phoet) where "sawit" is transcript for switch, sounding quite different tongue.png

So this should help: ไฟ แอ็คชั่น เบรค สวิทซ์ ปิด เปิด

Edited by KhunBENQ

you can find one at any big bike shops in Bangkok. even the ones for scooters might work as well.

and dont pay too much by ordering online, they are pretty cheap and installation is free:)

On the subject, does anyone use a headlight modulator? I've got HID headlights and they're not compatible so I haven't installed a module, but do the cops bust your balls for using one?

From my experience the roads turn my headlight into a modulating one!laugh.png At least it looks that way to me at night!

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

The other two are Thai transcript from the English words and sound similar tongue.png

In Thai: สวิทซ์ ปิด เปิด (sawit pit phoet) where "sawit" is transcript for switch, sounding quite different tongue.png

That is a horribly unsafe (and illegal) product. I was behind one of these guys the other day. I found it distracting and actually made it more difficult to intuit his intentions when there are so many other things demanding my attention. Every time he braked I had to look closely to see if he was turning or braking. Idiotic product.

The ones that flash 2 or 3 times then stay on are a brilliant idea. It removes the need for me to tap the breaks a couple times before applying them, which I often do whether in a car or on a bike.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

That is a horribly unsafe (and illegal) product. I was behind one of these guys the other day.

Please define illegal in the context of Thailand?

I found it distracting and actually made it more difficult to intuit his intentions when there are so many other things demanding my attention. Every time he braked I had to look closely to see if he was turning or braking.

If he put the turn signal on before he was braking? Maybe he didn't signal at all but you saw him?

For OP.

Small shop/kiosk near Sukhumvit 42/1 they have an LED bulb. It flashed slowly like F1 rain light/ bicycle light and then flashes quicker when you brake. B120 just retrofit in place of the old bulb.

I dont like those disco style flashers also utilizing the signals.

They are confusing.

Flashers are good safety measures but if only brake light is flashing.

Like this one.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

... Every time he braked I had to look closely to see if he was turning or braking. Idiotic product.

Turn signals? In Thailand? Surely you jest Sir?!

At least in Phuket turn signals are used quite extensively. Quite surprising actually. My only complaint is Thai's on motorbikes don't tend to signal until they are ready to make their turn, after they have drifted across 2 lanes of traffic. For cars, trucks etc. hazards on means carrying on straight, that's simple enough, but I still haven't figured out what a quick "left-right-left" signal is supposed to convey.

That is a horribly unsafe (and illegal) product. I was behind one of these guys the other day. I found it distracting and actually made it more difficult to intuit his intentions when there are so many other things demanding my attention. Every time he braked I had to look closely to see if he was turning or braking. Idiotic product.

The ones that flash 2 or 3 times then stay on are a brilliant idea. It removes the need for me to tap the breaks a couple times before applying them, which I often do whether in a car or on a bike.

That's actually pretty cool if you watch it right to end where the lights go crazy lol

But I had in mind something a bit more simple

The lights give say 4 flashes in a second or so then stay on solid until I release the breaks so anyone behind me half asleep or drunk in a merc might notice me when I'm trying to slow down for a u turn in Lane 3/4 etc

I've been missed by a hair or two more time than I can count to I intend to increase my rear visibility as much as I can

I also am not fond of the brake mods that flash the brakes constantly whether the bike is moving or not, <deleted> is the point of that in terms of overall safety?

If it flashes all the time people will learn to ignore it aka whistles in car parks etc

That is a horribly unsafe (and illegal) product. I was behind one of these guys the other day.

Please define illegal in the context of Thailand?

Section 36 (500B)

[When a driver is to turn the vehicle, let another vehicle to overtake, change traffic lane, reduce speed or stop the vehicle, he shall display hand signal (Section 37) or light signal (Section 38). When the condition doesn't permit the visibility of hand signals (like at night), he must use the light signal.

The driver must display the hand signal or light signal not less distance than 60m before turning the vehicle, changing traffic lane, or stopping the vehicle.

The hand signal or light signal must be visible to other drivers at not less distance than 60m.]

Section 37 (500B)

[How to make hand signals:

a. to reduce speed, ...

b. to stop a vehicle, ...

c. to let another vehicle pass, ...

d. to turn the vehicle right, ...

e. to turn the vehicle left, ...]

In case that the automobile has its steering wheel at the left-hand side, the driver shall use light signals instead of hand signals.

Section 38 (500B)

The driver of an automobile or motorcycle shall display light signals as follows:

a. to stop the vehicle, ...

b. to turn the vehicle or change traffic lane, ...

c. to let another vehicle to overtake, the driver shall display amber light signal for turning or blinking red or amber light signal at the back and to the left of the vehicle..

... Every time he braked I had to look closely to see if he was turning or braking. Idiotic product.

Turn signals? In Thailand? Surely you jest Sir?!

At least in Phuket turn signals are used quite extensively. Quite surprising actually. My only complaint is Thai's on motorbikes don't tend to signal until they are ready to make their turn, after they have drifted across 2 lanes of traffic. For cars, trucks etc. hazards on means carrying on straight, that's simple enough, but I still haven't figured out what a quick "left-right-left" signal is supposed to convey.

Ah yes, the left-right-left signal, or the rarer right-left-right signal.

Usually given by someone in the overtaking lane to warn the following driver who is right up his exhaust pipe that he has no intention of pulling over as there's stuff ahead that he wants to pass as well.

Basically, "I can see something ahead that you can't so don't even think about it."

Mostly trucks and minibuses that are slower than you. Never seen it on a bike.

I got this one from K-Speed Chonburi, the one I've got does do the 4 flash thing though. Couldn't find my exact model on YT

3000bht

They're is probably cheaper ones available now, somehow I don't think all the kids around my area are spending a weeks wages on one :)

Ebay has them very cheap, I could probably fit it myself

those integrated signals also dangerous especially during the daylight.

it is very hard to see the signals blinking on an integrated unit especially if it gets dirty and anyway, drivers dont expect the signals there, making it double dangerous.

just plain flasher that flashes only the stop light when braking is a good safety measure though.

I want to get this soon for my honda cbr650f but will be using it with my conventional signals - led - together of course. cannot trust the integrated signals on the headlight alone!

visibility is very important for motorcycling.

Edited by ll2

^Geez. The turn signals are so close together that from a distance I might be hard pressed to tell which way the guy is turning. biggrin.png John the one you have looks more mind numbing than the JR motors one.whistling.gif

• Like 1

but I still haven't figured out what a quick "left-right-left" signal is supposed to convey.

Thank you?

Same as one flash of the hazard flashers.

Edited by VocalNeal

^Geez. The turn signals are so close together that from a distance I might be hard pressed to tell which way the guy is turning. biggrin.png John the one you have looks more mind numbing than the JR motors one.whistling.gif

yes, that is what i am saying.

that is why if i buy this tail light, i will use it together with the conventional signals.

Ah yes, the left-right-left signal, or the rarer right-left-right signal.

Usually given by someone in the overtaking lane to warn the following driver who is right up his exhaust pipe that he has no intention of pulling over as there's stuff ahead that he wants to pass as well.

Basically, "I can see something ahead that you can't so don't even think about it."

Mostly trucks and minibuses that are slower than you. Never seen it on a bike.

But under the last couple of circumstances in which saw this used, that could not be a possibility. There was no one immediately behind the vehicles doing it. I see it used when behind vehicles they wish to overtake or get out of their way. But then I have seen it used in circumstances different than that as well, so it appears to have more than one meaning, which is why it baffles me.

The right turn signal is clearly used to convey the "Don't pass me, I can see something ahead you can't", which is consistent with the above law section 38 I posted earlier:

Section 38 (500B)[/size]

The driver of an automobile or motorcycle shall display light signals as follows:[/size]

c. to let another vehicle to overtake, the driver shall display amber light signal for turning or blinking red or amber light signal at the back and to the left of the vehicle.[/size].

but I still haven't figured out what a quick "left-right-left" signal is supposed to convey.

Thank you?

Same as one flash of the hazard flashers.

I think you're on to something. It must mean both "excuse me" and "thank you." That cover all the circumstances I have seen it used.

Edited by NomadJoe

Went my local scooter pimping shop, he knows what it is and he sells them for 230thb but they're out of stock

Found one on eBay for 100thb with free delivery lol

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400700145797?nav=SEARCH

Would you trust your life with a 100thb Chinese brake light module ?

The American made ones have much thicker cables although they cost a fair bit more they may be able to provide more voltage to the lights ? (i don't know anything electrical work)

Went my local scooter pimping shop, he knows what it is and he sells them for 230thb but they're out of stock

Found one on eBay for 100thb with free delivery lol

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400700145797?nav=SEARCH

Would you trust your life with a 100thb Chinese brake light module ?

The American made ones have much thicker cables although they cost a fair bit more they may be able to provide more voltage to the lights ? (i don't know anything electrical work)

The key in the description is "for LED stop brake light" I suspect the other more expensive ones may flash conventional lamps.