Visa agents cannot front for your annual retirement renewal.

Saan

Visa agents Thai Assist have told clients that they have to turn up in person at immigration for their annual retirement renewal. They say this requirement for personal appearance has been ordered by the NCPO.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They also say that this requirement changes frequently. Sometimes yes... sometimes no.

When I contacted them about a month before I was due for renewal, they said I would probably have to show up in person for five minutes. When the time came for the renewal a month later, I was not required to show up. On advice of another TV member, I subsquently took my passport to Immigration to check the validity of my stamp. It was valid. No problems.

Edited by FolkGuitar

They also say that this requirement changes frequently. Sometimes yes... sometimes no.

When I contacted them about a month before I was due for renewal, they said I would probably have to show up in person for five minutes. When the time came for the renewal a month later, I was not required to show up. On advice of another TV member, I subsquently took my passport to Immigration to check the validity of my stamp. It was valid. No problems.

You know I recently read an interesting report about a couple who were

unlucky to have had a dishonest visa agent/job agent

The sad part is they did time in Thai prison for having a bad stamp

& the agent who falsified the stamp only had to pay a fine & say he wouldn't do it again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2014/06/21/banged-up-in-bangkok-after-job-agency-bends-the-visa-rules/

Edited by mania

There was also the case about 10 years ago of the person in the Perth office who was using fake stamps. The people who's passports were stamped with them were made to leave the Kingdom, and botht the visa agent and the person in Perth went to jail. It doesn't pay to break the law.

Had mine done by Thaivisassist a few weeks back (since coup) - no probs, and no personal appearance by me at immigration .

Went to new immigration today opposite Promenada. 10-15 minute wait only. Cert of Residence free if I wait my turn till 21 July or tomorrow for 500 baht.

I pick it up tomorrow.

Had mine done by Thaivisassist a few weeks back (since coup) - no probs, and no personal appearance by me at immigration .

Went to new immigration today opposite Promenada. 10-15 minute wait only. Cert of Residence free if I wait my turn till 21 July or tomorrow for 500 baht.

I pick it up tomorrow.

This topic gets murkier by the day. Use an agent, pay their fee, they take care of everything...OR....can't do that anymore, still have to show up at imm. WITH your agent (what's the point of that?).

Now has CM Immigration relocated? By Promenada? First I've heard of it, but then I'm always last on the memo round. Please advise.

I pick it up tomorrow.

This topic gets murkier by the day. Use an agent, pay their fee, they take care of everything...OR....can't do that anymore, still have to show up at imm. WITH your agent (what's the point of that?).

"If" you do have to show up (and neither Beau Thai nor I did, but have been told that it's sometimes reqested,) it's only for 5 minutes instead of a few hours waiting around.

Now has CM Immigration relocated? By Promenada? First I've heard of it, but then I'm always last on the memo round. Please advise.

It has been explained in 3 other topics that the only change is that the location of getting your residency certificate has moved from the main immigration office to the one near Promenada. Nothing else has changed, 90 days, extensions, etc. are still carried out in the original location near the Airport.

It has been explained in 3 other topics that the only change is that the location of getting your residency certificate has moved from the main immigration office to the one near Promenada. Nothing else has changed, 90 days, extensions, etc. are still carried out in the original location near the Airport.

Thanks for the clarification Tywais , I too had missed those other 3 threads. wai2.gif

Thank you. One of the few useful things about living in the building I live in is they give out residence letters here, that are acceptable (or have been in the past) to La Migra.

You are correct it has a history of being implemented and then not implemented.

Let us hope with the new government that it is carried out in the proper manner weather it is show up or not show up. Be consistent. hopefully they will hire the 15 new immigration staff that has been approved but Bangkok has to do the hiring which they have not done yet.

To be fair the new government has a lot on it's hands to clean up and probably the local office did not want to draw any attention to them by contravening the law. Saw a picture from Dave that shows the new office for residency permits or what ever they call them had a window that said some thing about Visa's.

The picture showed plenty of space available and lots of windows with no one at them. Maybe this is the start of streamlining the implementation of the whole process. They had the OK for the 15 additional staff but certainly not the space for them. I understand they are now using the bar code. Progress slow but it is there.

You are correct it has a history of being implemented and then not implemented.

Let us hope with the new government that it is carried out in the proper manner weather it is show up or not show up. Be consistent. hopefully they will hire the 15 new immigration staff that has been approved but Bangkok has to do the hiring which they have not done yet.

To be fair the new government has a lot on it's hands to clean up and probably the local office did not want to draw any attention to them by contravening the law. Saw a picture from Dave that shows the new office for residency permits or what ever they call them had a window that said some thing about Visa's.

The picture showed plenty of space available and lots of windows with no one at them. Maybe this is the start of streamlining the implementation of the whole process. They had the OK for the 15 additional staff but certainly not the space for them. I understand they are now using the bar code. Progress slow but it is there.

The new office near Promenada is for residency letters only and processing workers from Burma ,Cambodia etc. Doing my 90 day reporting last week at the regular office the bar code was not used nor has it for months or maybe a year. Please correct me if I am wrong but there are far too many conflicting reports, not real experiences, floating around that its just making life for new arrivals more complicated than ever.

Thanks for the clarification Tywais , I too had missed those other 3 threads. wai2.gif

That may be true, but when I was collecting my Residency Letter today at the new 'Promenada' immigration, they had one window marked '90 day reports/re-entry' and another marked 'Visa extension' - but other than my letter I have no personal knowledge of what they do where, nor do I care, as the agent does it very efficiently for me.

Hope this doesnt confuse this issue still further though...

That may be true, but when I was collecting my Residency Letter today at the new 'Promenada' immigration, they had one window marked '90 day reports/re-entry' and another marked 'Visa extension'

Those are for the migrant workers (Cambodian, Burmese, etc.) Previously they were doing everything at the main immigration office which was a nightmare. They then moved them to the building right next to the main immigration building then finally moved it out near the Promenada. Dave2 posted photos earlier of the Promenada office and the windows.

Thank you. One of the few useful things about living in the building I live in is they give out residence letters here, that are acceptable (or have been in the past) to La Migra.

I'm jealous! You are the lucky one :)

Sounds to me that between travel time to the visa agent (excluding those of you who are close by), the actual time spent at the visa agent, travel time to immigration and actual time spent at immigration, you're giving these agents a tidy sum of money to save 3 to 4 hours tops.

Hey, your choice and the agents are happy to take your money.

Sounds to me that between travel time to the visa agent (excluding those of you who are close by), the actual time spent at the visa agent, travel time to immigration and actual time spent at immigration, you're giving these agents a tidy sum of money to save 3 to 4 hours tops.

hey, and its your choice to line up at the the sewer dept as a D.I.Y ,have a nice afternoonbiggrin.png

I'll exclude the time I spend traveling to Chiangmai Land Road as it's a nice walk for me, but the actual time spent IN the agent's office has never been more than about 6-8 minutes, perhaps 10 if they are busy. But I don't figure it's the time saved. For me, it's the confidence knowing that all the 'T's' have been crossed and the 'i''s dotted. We've seen so many posts in these threads previously that talk about not having this or that, needing just one more item, etc., and having to return again to Immigration with it, etc. It's the freedom from concern that I'm paying for.

Not having to sit in a crowded room for several hours is just a bonus.

I suspect there are many who agree with you, though I am happy there are some who do not, as all in all, this has to reduce the amount of people queuing with me at immigration and time spent there.

Sure, I might be slightly miffed if I see some "agent" sneak in front of me with a dozen passports (not that I have seen that at CM Imm, so no idea if they queue like the rest of us or have some special arrangement), but imo, better that than the dozen people owning those passports waiting with me in person at the already too small Imm. space available. Especially since based on some of the the posters here, I suspect a fair amount of the people who pay agents to do this for them would have more than a little trouble figuring out how to do it themselves and what papers they needed, TV's excellent visa-forum not withstanding. Them attempting to do this complicated process themselves would no doubt increasing the time Imm. has to spend on their applications, thus increasing the waiting time for everyone else.

IMO we all benefit from these agents, whether they hold our hand or only our neighbours hand.

Edited by Awk

I suspect there are many who agree with you, though I am happy there are some who do not, as all in all, this has to reduce the amount of people queuing with me at immigration and time spent there.

Sure, I might be slightly miffed if I see some "agent" sneak in front of me with a dozen passports (not that I have seen that at CM Imm, so no idea if they queue like the rest of us or have some special arrangement), but imo, better that than the dozen people owning those passports waiting with me in person at the already too small Imm. space available. Especially since based on some of the the posters here, I suspect a fair amount of the people who pay agents to do this for them would have more than a little trouble figuring out how to do it themselves and what papers they needed, TV's excellent visa-forum not withstanding. Them attempting to do this complicated process themselves would no doubt increasing the time Imm. has to spend on their applications, thus increasing the waiting time for everyone else.

IMO we all benefit from these agents, whether they hold our hand or only our neighbours hand.

555! Amusing to think that those that sweat it at immigration believe that those that pay an agent dont know how to 'do the process' Smug or what?!

Well, I don't sweat it out at Immigration. I went last week for my 90 Day report, in and out in 5 minutes, and my visa extension rarely takes more than an hour, most of which is spent sat outside with a couple of cups of coffee.

My 90 Day report was the same as it usually is, no barcode checking. In fact my passport doesn't have a barcode to check, apart from the one that Immigration stapled on a few years ago. Hand-written receipt, and the only thing new was the amount of rubber stamps he used. I counted 7 different ones.

Amazing! Now I think I ve seen everything on Thaivisa! Some people on here getting annoyed (or jealous?) because some of us choose to spend our hard earned cash the way we want to spend it, in this case by choosing the option of paying Rhys and his excellent staff to renew our Visa for us!

Personally, I would much prefer to play a leisurely 9 holes of golf while someone else does the legwork, thats my choice, and having done both the easy option and the hanging around in immigration option, I know which I will continue to prefer!

Well, I don't sweat it out at Immigration. I went last week for my 90 Day report, in and out in 5 minutes, and my visa extension rarely takes more than an hour, most of which is spent sat outside with a couple of cups of coffee.

My 90 Day report was the same as it usually is, no barcode checking. In fact my passport doesn't have a barcode to check, apart from the one that Immigration stapled on a few years ago. Hand-written receipt, and the only thing new was the amount of rubber stamps he used. I counted 7 different ones.

I know someone who has been waiting 10 days now for the renewal.

Something about requiring the Embassy to do background checks, and this is a guy who has had a retirement extension for a while.

It is being done in Bangkok.....near Don Muang.

With so many accounts of bad experiences with visa services, I not understand why people still using them, paying a lot of money, and taking the risk of getting in BIG trouble...when it is so much info about immigration rules, and free advise from the agents in any local immigration office.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting.

I pick it up tomorrow.

The new Immigration office near Promenada is open and you can get some services there. Certificate of Residence is one but I went this week to try and get a 30-day extension for my single entry TR visa and was told I had to go to the immigration office by the airport. Most of the people at the new office appeared to be Burmese and were working on their visa status. Only saw one other farang and he was getting a COR.

I when alone to the new place for a residency letter first time I did not use a visa service paid 500 bht pick it up the next day. When on line for my retirement visa appointment will be the first time also I will do it without using agent think I save 5000 bht and should be OK