O extension requirements du jour

I'm now on an O visa. I have the new WP and will shortly try to extend it from 90 days to one year.

I no longer have the bank balance needed to this. We will use the WP for the first time with an O.

I'd like to know the current "shopping list" of what to bring.

a) I assume I'll need the marriage certificate, the spouse's ID, and the spouse.

b] I assume I'll need the work permit and a copy of my contract showing a minimum of 40,000 per month.

c) I assume I'll need a medical certificate.

d) I've heard I'll also need a syphilis test.

e) I've heard I'll need a criminal record check.

f) I've heard I'll need a photo of the happy couple at home. Would the title to the condo help?

g) I've heard of "home visits" to further verify the residence and the marriage.

h) I'm unclear if I may apply at any time or if I need to wait until just before my 90-day visa expires.

i) I'll bring my Khru Sapha ID, but I don't know if this is necessary with the O visa.

I've checked the Bangkok immigration website with mixed results.

I apologize if this info is in another thread and I just missed it.

If not, I'd love to hear from somebody who has jumped through these hoops recently.

Thanks so much.

Why is your new work permit only for 90 days?

You should not expect to find information about extending your work permit to one year on the immigration website. Your employer should know what needs to be submitted to the Department of Employment and handle it for you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The post was ambiguous.

The work permit is for one year.

I now need to extend my visa, not the work permit, from 90 days to one year.

I requested the O visa so that when I retire I won't have to get an extension &/or scurry out of the country.

If you are asking about a 12 month extension based on being married to a Thai Lady you do not need a police check or health certificate.

A Rough Guide.
(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.
OR.
If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.
If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.
Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)
Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)
Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.
Your Passport.
Copies of everything.
Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.
A map showing the way to your house.
Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.
Take your Wife to be interviewed.
One or two witnesses may be required.
You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.
Go back in a month and get the remainder.

• Like 1

The majority of what you listed is not needed. Most of it is for getting a work permit.

You will be need proof by way of 2 or 3 months of tax payment showing 40k baht income or more,

Work permit to prove you are working legally.

Marriage certificate and recent Kor Ror 2 marriage registry,

Wife's house book and ID card.

Photos of you and your your wife in and around the house. One photo of both of you showing the house number.

If not living where your wife's house book is for you need proof of residence (rental agreement).

Map to your where you are living.

Copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stamp. TM6 departure card.

Two completed TM7 application forms with attached photos. With 2 sets of signed copies of all the above

You should check with you local immigration office to see if they have additional requriements.

• Like 1

Thank you so much!

I had forgotten about proof of paying taxes, etc.

I'll start looking for a Sherpa guide to carry all this crap.

What is a Kor Ror Marriage Registry?

The number I have for immigration is 0-2141-7890. I imagine they're a bit busy since they just reopened this week.

Thank you all again. I'll report back on how it goes.

This is a helpful place. Thank you again.

This question might be a bit "out there," but, we're thinking of adding my name to the housing registration thingie (it looks like a bank book or a motorcycle registration, etc) along with hers. We own the condo and we're married and it looks funny having her name but not mine.

Is there a reason not to do this?

This is a helpful place. Thank you again.

This question might be a bit "out there," but, we're thinking of adding my name to the housing registration thingie (it looks like a bank book or a motorcycle registration, etc) along with hers. We own the condo and we're married and it looks funny having her name but not mine.

Is there a reason not to do this?

You can't be listed in the blue book. You can get your own yellow house book though. You would need to check with the Amphoe to see what they want to do it.

• Like 1

I submitted my application for annual extension (marriage) earlier today at Chaeng Wattana. On this occasion there was an additional form that both myself and the household head on the blue book (wife) had to sign. It was a 2 page form for notification to immigration that the foreigner is residing at the address. I said that it shouldn't be necessary since I am already registered on the yellow book, however this seems to be an additional requirement since the recent change in government I guess.

Also, I submitted the same KR2 that I have been using for the last 3 years. They accepted it and did not request a recently date one. Also I submitted only one completed TM7 form with photo, and only one set of signed photocopies of the the documents that accompanied my application.

The majority of what you listed is not needed. Most of it is for getting a work permit.

You will be need proof by way of 2 or 3 months of tax payment showing 40k baht income or more,

Marriage certificate and recent Kor Ror 2 marriage registry,

Wife's house book and ID card.

Photos of you and your your wife in and around the house. One photo of both of you showing the house number.

If not living where your wife's house book is for you need proof of residence (rental agreement).

Map to your where you are living.

Copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stamp. TM6 departure card.

Two completed TM7 application forms with attached photos. With 2 sets of signed copies of all the above

You should check with you local immigration office to see if they have additional requirements.

• Like 1

I think Bangkok immigration is the only office that does not want 2 of everything.

There are many offices that want a recent Kor Ror 2. If not sure what an office wants it is best to get one.

• Like 2

gunghang, be sure to apply for an extension for the reason of living with your Thai wife, not for the reason of employment. You didn't say which type of extension you want. I you want the employment extension, the requirements are different.

• Like 1

I submitted my application for annual extension (marriage) earlier today at Chaeng Wattana. On this occasion there was an additional form that both myself and the household head on the blue book (wife) had to sign. It was a 2 page form for notification to immigration that the foreigner is residing at the address. I said that it shouldn't be necessary since I am already registered on the yellow book, however this seems to be an additional requirement since the recent change in government I guess.

Also, I submitted the same KR2 that I have been using for the last 3 years. They accepted it and did not request a recently date one. Also I submitted only one completed TM7 form with photo, and only one set of signed photocopies of the the documents that accompanied my application.

This is incredibly current and relevant information and exactly what I asked for.

Thank you, and everybody, for taking the time to share.

You went to CW today. What time? And, how long did it take you? I've been telling people at work that I'll wrap things up in the morning, but I don't really know if that will happen.

Edited by gunghang

gunghang, be sure to apply for an extension for the reason of living with your Thai wife, not for the reason of employment. You didn't say which type of extension you want. I you want the employment extension, the requirements are different.

10-4

I am in fact extending it to be with my "little" love bucket. I don't want to have to flee the country the same day as when I retire, and I don't want to ever have to get a new visa.

When this is all over in late August, I really should also thank the school for going along with my request to switch from a "B" to an "O" visa.

I'm going to bring a copy of my contract, which states my salary is greater than 40K per month for 12 months.

I thought that the contract and my WP would be enough.

I've requested proof of tax payment, though, to be safe.

This is incredibly current and relevant information and exactly what I asked for.

Thank you, and everybody, for taking the time to share.

You went to CW today. What time? And, how long did it take you? I've been telling people at work that I'll wrap things up in the morning, but I don't really know if that will happen.

I arrived at 9:30am and there were 25 people ahead of me in the queue. I left shortly after 11:30am. If you need to get back to your work quickly I would suggest you arrive an hour earlier.

I use the 400K baht bank balance route to satisfy the financial requirements. So when I arrive at the Chaeng Wattana govt complex I spend my first 10 min getting my same date bank letter from Bangkok Bank and photocopy my updated passbook as at today's date.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I use the 400K baht bank balance route to satisfy the financial requirements. So when I arrive at the Chaeng Wattana govt complex I spend my first 10 min getting my same date bank letter from Bangkok Bank and photocopy my updated passbook as at today's date.

I never would have thought to ask about a same day letter bank letter. Two or three years from now, I'll be using a combination of US social security and a bank balance totaling 400,000. Now I already have my first heads up for that future visit.

In an amazing 24 hours, I'm almost confident about the 16th or 17th or 18th, whichever date I go.

I looked at suggestions from a lawyer's site. I heard from another person who applied last week, and had his application rejected. (Ouch!)

From the encyclopedic wealth of intel that has come my way since I first sent out a distress call yesterday morning, this is what I've distilled.

.0) apply under privilege of Thai wife, not to work.

Show up with:

.1) Thai wife

.2) Thai wife's ID

.3) Marriage certificate KR3

.4) Marriage registry KR2

.5) blue house book

.6) yellow house book (if I have time to get one)

.7) title to the condo showing ownership in both our names

.8) not sure about this – show utility bills in our names at our address?

.9) departure card TM6

10) two TM7 forms and four photos

11) work permit

12) contract

13) proof of income tax payment

14) copy of bank statement showing past salary deposit? – not sure if this will help

15) photos

signing registry
wedding party
in condo
in front of condo, name visible

16) previous passport showing previous O visa “Thai wife” extension

17) Tax ID card

18) our passports

19) copies of everything, in duplicate, signed by us both

CW may not require the duplicate copies, but I'd rather have too much than too little.

Similarly, I may not need to show my teacher license or have a criminal record check or health certificate. I'd rather err on the side of overkill and have it all ready.

I'm not planning on bringing “witnesses,” though I have people in mind.

I feel like I'll be over-prepared, if anything. I'll report back, and try to get a form number for that new two-page form they have you fill out now regarding your address.

I never would have thought to ask about a same day letter bank letter. Two or three years from now, I'll be using a combination of US social security and a bank balance totaling 400,000. Now I already have my first heads up for that future visit.

For an extension of stay based upon marriage their is no combination of income and money in the bank. It is one or the other only.

In an amazing 24 hours, I'm almost confident about the 16th or 17th or 18th, whichever date I go.

I looked at suggestions from a lawyer's site. I heard from another person who applied last week, and had his application rejected. (Ouch!)

From the encyclopedic wealth of intel that has come my way since I first sent out a distress call yesterday morning, this is what I've distilled.

.0) apply under privilege of Thai wife, not to work.

Show up with:

.1) Thai wife

.2) Thai wife's ID

.3) Marriage certificate KR3

.4) Marriage registry KR2

.5) blue house book

.6) yellow house book (if I have time to get one)

.7) title to the condo showing ownership in both our names

.8) not sure about this – show utility bills in our names at our address?

.9) departure card TM6

10) two TM7 forms and four photos

11) work permit

12) contract

13) proof of income tax payment

14) copy of bank statement showing past salary deposit? – not sure if this will help

15) photos

signing registry

wedding party

in condo

in front of condo, name visible

16) previous passport showing previous O visa “Thai wife” extension

17) Tax ID card

18) our passports

19) copies of everything, in duplicate, signed by us both

CW may not require the duplicate copies, but I'd rather have too much than too little.

Similarly, I may not need to show my teacher license or have a criminal record check or health certificate. I'd rather err on the side of overkill and have it all ready.

I'm not planning on bringing “witnesses,” though I have people in mind.

I feel like I'll be over-prepared, if anything. I'll report back, and try to get a form number for that new two-page form they have you fill out now regarding your address.

For CW to do the application for a conversion you will need one completed TM87 non immigrant visa application form (TM7 is for the extension later).

You will not need witnesses.

8, 14 not needed nor wife's passport in 18.

Add the affirmation of permit to marry to that you gave the Amphoe when you got married to your list. CW will want this.

You will only need one copy of everything for the conversion. You will need 2 for the extension application in Hua Hin.

For CW to do the application for a conversion you will need one completed TM87 non immigrant visa application form (TM7 is for the extension later).

Conversion? I have the non-im O.

(I don't know if the journey merits its own thread, but I went to Kota Bahru to get the visa. The consulate there is open on Sunday. This made it possible to fly to/from Hat Yai on Saturday/Monday and miss only one day of work.)

It's been ten years since I last extended an O visa. Things have changed. I really do appreciate all the detailed info I'm getting.

Yep. Money in the bank OR Income.

Not both.

This is really depressing news, but I'm glad to have learned of it. It will affect me two years from now.

I suppose we should all make a collective prayer that the govt. doesn't double the required bank balance again.

Back to the present, I'll plan on visiting Bang Rak office tomorrow to get the marriage registry KR2.

Since immigration at Chamchuri is at the same subway station, I'll stop by there on the way back to work. I understand that I can't do the visa extension there, but maybe I can get the forms I need to do the visa extension, including the new two-pager to show my address as being the same as my wife's address in the blue house book. I'll also ask to show them my documents to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Since I'm overweight and over 60 years old, I'll be very hot and sweaty and out of breath after my walk to/from Bang Rak. I'm guessing there's a 10% chance they might take pity on me and just do the extension, saving me a trip to CW a week later. Since I'll be in the neighborhood anyway, it's worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

My application was incomplete. My tax info was not for the past three months.

Also, there was something about where I lived when I divorced my previous wife.

The official knew I was a teacher and suggested that instead of extending under privilege of my spouse, I extend as a teacher.

He said it was much less work. He pointed us to another counter and we got a sheet with a list of eight items, including the application and the work permit and a certified copy of my passport. It was similar to what's online at the Immigration site under how to extend an O visa.

I'll try it this next week. If it bombs, I'll flesh out the goodies on the Thai wife/work permit list.

• 2 weeks later...

I returned to CW immigration this morning.

This time, it was Plan B and I carried the paper work for "the case of an expert" etc.

The shopping list had eight items, including the application.

Immediately, one officer checked with the other to verify that an O could be extended this way.

The other remembered me from Suan Phlu a decade ago, so I was dealing with a friendly face.

Then came the photograph and paying the 1900 baht.

Then came the final approval. I was asked why I was doing this with an O. My Thai was woefully inadequate. I was then asked for a copy of my marriage certificate. I had deliberately left the "Thai wife" paperwork behind this time. Just by chance, there was a copy of the certificate in the bag I carried this morning. I'm so glad I checked, otherwise I assume my wife would have gone from CW back to our home and back to CW with the certificate.

I had to sign two forms. One acknowledged the new overstay penalties, and the other acknowledged the new "late for 90 day check in" penalty.

On the bright side, this visit reset the clock on the 90 day check in. This was not the case in the past.

My luck held out and I made it back to work before the sky opened up. "Falling Skies" may be a popular TV show, but the term means "monsoon rain" to me.

And that was that. A nine year quest to have an O and a work permit came to an end.

And, on top of everything else, I think it was less work for our visa guy, too!

At some future point I'll have to go the Thai wife route again. The intel everybody has provided me for that route will still be put to good use; just not this time around.

I had to sign two forms. One acknowledged the new overstay penalties, and the other acknowledged the new "late for 90 day check in" penalty.

Interesting, is this now generally the norm? As I have reported elsewhere I was most certainly not asked to sign these new forms when I obtained my latest retirement extension of stay at Rayong (Maptaput) Immigration a fortnight ago.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

What I also found interesting was the 2-4-1 90-day check-in.

In the past, I couldn't do the 90-day ritual when extending my visa unless I was within the x days before 90 days or y days after 90 days window.

Even then, I had to fill out the form and wait my turn.

This time, not only did the clock reset to zero, there was no waiting. A card was stapled in my passport on July 28 telling me to show my face on Oct 27. That was it.

And, there's more! I think that the 90 days is up on Oct 25, which is a Saturday. Instead of requiring me to come in the first business day before that date, I have until the first business day after the date. For some reason, I remember it was just the opposite before. Maybe I'm imagining things or miscalculating.

Of course, the penalty is Draconian. It's gone from 2,000 baht to up to 5,000 baht + 200 baht per day.

One does not want to be late for the 90-day check-in.

I'm even thinking of getting a re-entry permit. If traffic is really bad in Bangkok, a flight to Yangon or Siam Reap might actually be a quicker trip. unsure.png.pagespeed.ce.HJ5qCyvFy9.png

You are required to submit 3 photos of you and the wife around the house. One of the photos inside the house and one outside that shows the address sign of the house.

I just applied for my extension for the third time.

I submitted 5x7 photos and was told in the future, I should submit smaller ( 4x6 ? ) so all three photos can be glued to the same sheet of paper.

Hope this is a little help.

Oh yeah..and two copies of each photo since you need to submit two copies of the application for extension.

• Like 1

What I also found interesting was the 2-4-1 90-day check-in.

In the past, I couldn't do the 90-day ritual when extending my visa unless I was within the x days before 90 days or y days after 90 days window.

Even then, I had to fill out the form and wait my turn.

This time, not only did the clock reset to zero, there was no waiting. A card was stapled in my passport on July 28 telling me to show my face on Oct 27. That was it.

And, there's more! I think that the 90 days is up on Oct 25, which is a Saturday. Instead of requiring me to come in the first business day before that date, I have until the first business day after the date. For some reason, I remember it was just the opposite before. Maybe I'm imagining things or miscalculating.

Of course, the penalty is Draconian. It's gone from 2,000 baht to up to 5,000 baht + 200 baht per day.

One does not want to be late for the 90-day check-in.

I'm even thinking of getting a re-entry permit. If traffic is really bad in Bangkok, a flight to Yangon or Siam Reap might actually be a quicker trip. unsure.png.pagespeed.ce.HJ5qCyvFy9.png

You can make your report 15 days before or 7 days after the report date. You could always make it on Monday if the date falls on a weekend.

The normal fine is still 2000 baht. The 5000 baht maximum fine and 200 baht a day is nothing new it is what is written in the immigration act of 1979.

• Like 1