Uber drivers face British criminal case as cabbies try to block app

webfact

Uber drivers face British criminal case as cabbies try to block app
Jeremy Hodges

LONDON: -- The Licensed Taxi Drivers Association has filed criminal proceedings in London against six Uber drivers, blocking transport officials from seeking guidance from a civil court on the mobile-phone app.

The move is the latest by taxi drivers to block the approval of Uber's app, which connects passengers with cars. Transport for London said that its bid to have a civil court clarify rules for what constitutes a regulated taxi service would have to wait until criminal cases are finished.

Uber has come under fire by traditional taxi drivers worldwide who say they are bound by rules that don't apply to the smartphone-based system. Last month cabbies in London snarled traffic, protesting against what they saw as the government's failure to hold Uber to the same standards as other car services.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/uber-drivers-face-british-criminal-case-as-cabbies-try-to-block-app-20140704-zsvri.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-07-04

Get with the 21st century and improve your services. Uber is here to stay and if you can't compete then it's time to go, not whine about it.

No problem with the competition, but how about having the same level of regulation for the uber drivers as for the taxi drivers.

As a cab driver I can see where the use of this ap has come from, however, as a taxi driver I have to carry a minimum level of appropriate insurance, have my vehicle inspected every 12 months, have had to go through training to get my endorsement, have to go through update training, cannot refuse a fare if worried about customer, have supply and wear an approved uniform and am subject to random inspection by Dept of Transport inspectors and police at any time (eg wearing a sweater in winter that is not part of the uniform is a $200 fine). These are costs and inconveniences that uber drivers are not subject to.

I get a lot of my customers through the old way. I give good service and give out a business card with my phone number on it.

• Like 1

Get with the 21st century and improve your services. Uber is here to stay and if you can't compete then it's time to go, not whine about it.

No problem with the competition, but how about having the same level of regulation for the uber drivers as for the taxi drivers.

As a cab driver I can see where the use of this ap has come from, however, as a taxi driver I have to carry a minimum level of appropriate insurance, have my vehicle inspected every 12 months, have had to go through training to get my endorsement, have to go through update training, cannot refuse a fare if worried about customer, have supply and wear an approved uniform and am subject to random inspection by Dept of Transport inspectors and police at any time (eg wearing a sweater in winter that is not part of the uniform is a $200 fine). These are costs and inconveniences that uber drivers are not subject to.

I get a lot of my customers through the old way. I give good service and give out a business card with my phone number on it.

Thing is people dont want expensive cabs. Your rules are fine but why would people for uber who are not professional drivers and just do this occasionally be subjected to the same rules. I can understand it if they start doing this all the time to make money. Not the occasional drivers.

I don't know what the taxi drivers struggle.

Change is inevitable and it is not a matter of if but a matter of when and it is going to happen.

Such apps are going to be used widely in the future regardless of some taxi drivers who do not agree.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by A1Str8

Thing is people dont want expensive cabs. Your rules are fine but why would people for uber who are not professional drivers and just do this occasionally be subjected to the same rules. I can understand it if they start doing this all the time to make money. Not the occasional drivers.

A few centuries back, skilled craftsmen like a blacksmith had to belong to a guild and prices were controlled. In today's market, most people think that system is crazy, but what they fail to consider is the centuries of reasoning that went into that system. Let's assume you are a blacksmith, you are very skilled and have the capability to make intricate designs. The problem is, there is not enough of that kind of work to make a living. Most of things people want are simply nails. If someone else without skill was allowed to come along and make only nails and sell them dirt cheap, what would happen is that eventually the town would not have a blacksmith. And so the guild system was born. With globalization, this system isn't really necessary any more, but things like transportation are still highly local. A taxi available in Shenzhen won't do any good to someone in Essex.

The argument you raise is exactly that problem, just in a different form. If you say allow people who are occasional drivers to do this, what you are really saying is that you don't want any professional drivers. Everyone from now on will only be an occasional ride share driver, and the lowest common denominator will win. That may sound good, but really stop and think through the consequences of what you are supporting. Throughout history, this argument has been discussed, and the argument you make above has never come out on the winning side when people truly understand the consequences. There are strong reasons for regulations and guild like systems, and what people "want" is not always what is best. Like everything else, it is a pendelum, and regulatory requirements continuously swing back and forth across a spectrum of possible values. But make no mistake. Uber means no more conventional taxis. Remember this when you are stuck on the side of the road in the rain with a dead phone battery. This is what you wanted, and throughout history, the Uber model has never survived over the long term.

There are ways to marry Uber like technology with traditional regulation that guarantees broad service to the entire public and a skilled, professional taxi force. It might not be the lowest cost model, but those intangible benefits that professional taxi drivers bring to society add up to significantly more than you think.

I think what counts is peoples wallets.. and they win with Uber. Its a choice they make and your guild system is crazy we abolished it and we don't have those problems so obviously it was not needed.

Its usually those with something to loose that are against progress.

However if professional drivers start using Uber to make money its unfair competition. Just sharing your car for a fee sounds like a great idea. Great for the environment great for the passenger. If they want a professional driver they will choose one.

I think guys protesting against it would love the maffia in Thailand and would love it if nobody could compete with them and rip everyone off.

They have been fighting them tooth and nail in the US, too, but they will eventually lose or, better yet, move over themselves. I have never used Uber, but have heard that it is much better than regular US taxis (not talking about UK taxis here....have no experiences with them).

In the US, cab services are subject to a bunch of corruption and stupid (not reasonable) regulation that is mostly aimed to keep the struggling drivers working and making money for the $$ people. In NYC, it costs several hundred thousand dollars (2, I think?) for a "medallion" you need to operate a taxi there. That pretty much means that no regular person can reasonably hope to operate independently from people with loads of cash.

It would seem much better to regulate Uber to an extent, but in the end connect people more directly and give riders a break on the price and let drivers keep more of the money they generate.

TVGerry,

I think Mr Chang_paarp has already appropriately responded to your post.

"Get with the 21st century and improve your services... if you can't compete then it's time to go home, not whine about it."

If Uber drivers have it so good, go be an uber driver... Or start your own company to compete with them.

Taxi drivers, whether they be union hacks in the US / UK or corrupt mafia jerks in Thailand, need to accept that the public has moved on...Today's customer wants the "private driver experience". When I take my wife out, I like to pull up to a restaurant in a nice car with a driver, not a beat up 1980 something Corolla with no shocks blasting Issan music.

When I want to go somewhere, I don't have to go stand on the corner and wait for a taxi (in rush hour and / or rainy season) only to then have to haggle over the price, or he just refuses to go where I want to go. With Uber, I just wait for the driver to arrive at my house and we go where I want to go. No hassles.

I recall a experience trying to get to a formal event with my wife, pre Uber... I'm trying to catch a cab and she is standing out on the street with me in an evening gown slit to the thigh... and the drivers wouldn't go where we wanted because of the traffic... Even when I offered 500 baht...

No thanks... Never again... GO UBER!!!!

Taxi drivers everywhere, quit your whining.

• Like 1

They have been fighting them tooth and nail in the US, too, but they will eventually lose or, better yet, move over themselves. I have never used Uber, but have heard that it is much better than regular US taxis (not talking about UK taxis here....have no experiences with them).

In the US, cab services are subject to a bunch of corruption and stupid (not reasonable) regulation that is mostly aimed to keep the struggling drivers working and making money for the $$ people. In NYC, it costs several hundred thousand dollars (2, I think?) for a "medallion" you need to operate a taxi there. That pretty much means that no regular person can reasonably hope to operate independently from people with loads of cash.

It would seem much better to regulate Uber to an extent, but in the end connect people more directly and give riders a break on the price and let drivers keep more of the money they generate.

Last year, a taxi medallion in NYC sold for $1,000,000. How long would the ROI have to be for that? Last time I was in the city, it was all Russian drivers who didn't know their way around...

In London the cabbies that are fighting this are the so called black cab drivers. To become a black cab driver you have to undertake something referred to as ' The Knowledge' this involves learning the location of thousands of streets and routes through the city.

It takes about 5 years and is rigorously examined. You would see guys driving around on small motorbikes with a clip board on the front. The cabbies were amazing and would recognise any obscure street in the city.

Unfortunately now we have sat nav - so in a way the knowledge has been made redundant. I can see why these guys who have spent so much time memorising the city and are part of London culture are not so keen on Über!

This ad is for unbooked mini cabs in the UK. But it seems to me that those using this app are subjecting themselves to the same risks.

(For those who don't know; mini cabs in the UK are different to, and not subject to the same regulation as, licensed taxis. Mini cabs cannot ply for hire on the street, but can only be booked in advance through their office. They don't have meters, the fare is agreed beforehand.)

A few centuries back, skilled craftsmen like a blacksmith had to belong to a guild and prices were controlled. In today's market, most people think that system is crazy, but what they fail to consider is the centuries of reasoning that went into that system. Let's assume you are a blacksmith, you are very skilled and have the capability to make intricate designs. The problem is, there is not enough of that kind of work to make a living. Most of things people want are simply nails. If someone else without skill was allowed to come along and make only nails and sell them dirt cheap, what would happen is that eventually the town would not have a blacksmith. And so the guild system was born. With globalization, this system isn't really necessary any more, but things like transportation are still highly local. A taxi available in Shenzhen won't do any good to someone in Essex.

The argument you raise is exactly that problem, just in a different form. If you say allow people who are occasional drivers to do this, what you are really saying is that you don't want any professional drivers. Everyone from now on will only be an occasional ride share driver, and the lowest common denominator will win. That may sound good, but really stop and think through the consequences of what you are supporting. Throughout history, this argument has been discussed, and the argument you make above has never come out on the winning side when people truly understand the consequences. There are strong reasons for regulations and guild like systems, and what people "want" is not always what is best. Like everything else, it is a pendelum, and regulatory requirements continuously swing back and forth across a spectrum of possible values. But make no mistake. Uber means no more conventional taxis. Remember this when you are stuck on the side of the road in the rain with a dead phone battery. This is what you wanted, and throughout history, the Uber model has never survived over the long term.

There are ways to marry Uber like technology with traditional regulation that guarantees broad service to the entire public and a skilled, professional taxi force. It might not be the lowest cost model, but those intangible benefits that professional taxi drivers bring to society add up to significantly more than you think.

I hear the term "professional" being applied to all sorts of occupations these days.

To me a professional is some one who has, by study or proven work experience or a combination of both, has achieved a level of specific experience in a certian field above and beyond the every day person and can apply such knowledge readily on demand.

So tell me - how is someone driving a car different from a professional taxi driver?

The professional taxi driver has skills and training in the following:

Advanced defensive driving techniques

Advanced first aid skills

Cardio pulmonary resuscitation training, regularly updated and assessed by qualified trainers/assessors

Manual handling training

Approved training to deal with the aged and/or infirm

Approved training in dealing with children (and a police clearance to allow this)

Approved training in dealing with those under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs or some other from of impairment.

Or alternatively:

Has inherited the business from the parents

Is just plain lazy and thinks the world owes him a living because...well just because

Edited by Maestro
Deleted nonsensical part of the post.
  • Like 1

From Driving licences for private hire or taxis in London

To apply for a taxi licence in London you must be:
at least 21 years old
a UK or European Union (EU) citizen, or have the right to stay and work in the UK
the holder of a full Great Britain (GB), Northern Ireland (NI) or European Economic Area (EEA) driving licence

You’ll also need to:
have a criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (PDF, 123KB)
pass ‘the knowledge’ test
pass the Driving standards Agency (DSA) taxi driving assessment
have a medical examination with your GP

How many Uber drivers will have done any of that? Especially the criminal record check?

From their terms and conditions, it seems they make no checks whatsoever; indeed they have indemnity clauses expressly releasing them from any liability for any harm arising out of using their service.

Seems to me that any sexual predator or other nut case could register with Uber and then be free to prey on the innocent.

Thank goodness for google. I didn't know what an Uber was. I thought we were going back 70 years to 'Deutschland uber alles' or something like that. Mind you, the World Cup might bring it to fruition.sad.png

Time and change don't stand still.Its a fact everything is changing and changing faster than ever before.

You can't stop change for long.It will always happen in the end.

What was the norm doesn't stay that way long now.You can't fight it.

Challenging existing practices is big businees and no one even the inventors sometimes know how far and

to what enventual use their new ideas and technology will eventually be put to use.

Move on and use the technology thats available there will always be cabs and taxis.

• Like 1

at least 21 years old

a UK or European Union (EU) citizen, or have the right to stay and work in the UK

the holder of a full Great Britain (GB), Northern Ireland (NI) or European Economic Area (EEA) driving licence

You’ll also need to:

have a criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (PDF, 123KB)

How many Uber drivers will have done any of that? Especially the criminal record check?

From their terms and conditions, it seems they make no checks whatsoever; indeed they have indemnity clauses expressly releasing them from any liability for any harm arising out of using their service.

Seems to me that any sexual predator or other nut case could register with Uber and then be free to prey on the innocent.

Those terms and conditions are from the USA. They have no legal standing in the UK. The Black Cab drivers are just trying to protect their monopoly. All this guff about now being able to refuse a fair is just that - guff. I've had a cabbie complain that I'd not given him a big enough tip from Heathrow to St Pancras so I asked for my change. He wasn't a happy man lol

• Like 1

at least 21 years old

You’ll also need to:

Those terms and conditions are from the USA. They have no legal standing in the UK. The Black Cab drivers are just trying to protect their monopoly. All this guff about now being able to refuse a fair is just that - guff. I've had a cabbie complain that I'd not given him a big enough tip from Heathrow to St Pancras so I asked for my change. He wasn't a happy man lol

Earlier this year, black cab Heathrow T4 to T3 . . . £20.

Last year, black cab Heathrow T3 to Kingston-on-Thames. . . . £50.

Seriously, car hire would be cheaper.

With GPS I really do not understand the issue about learning the "Streets of London" or anywhere else. A THB 10,000 GPS will sort out the route.

Just another bunch of guys who think they deserve more than they really do.

Sitting on their bums all day and just driving people from place to place.

Don't tell me this requires intelligence.

Let competition take over.

• Like 1

How about Private hire drivers being given the same level of regulation as black cab drivers.

I to have had to retake my test, pay licencing fees, Private high insurance & have my car inspectd every year etc, but Im not allowed to OVERCHARGE passengers ( Or make up a figure in my own head, because I don't want the trip, outside London). Not allowed to stop on red routes to drop off, not allowed to use bus lanes, or allowed to pick up from the street

Black cab drivers are always bloody moaning that they're losing their jobs. Monoplies commision should look into this. Watch out black cabbies, the competition is coming!

'... who are not professional drivers ... Not the occasional drivers.'

And there, you might have hit the nail on the head - except for the inescapable fact that if they are charging, they are running a professional business, and whilst one might see logic in their not being subject to the exact same rules and regulations as cabbies, they should most certainly be subject to a reasonable number.

• Like 1

at least 21 years old

You’ll also need to:

Those terms and conditions are from the USA. They have no legal standing in the UK........

Well, I got them from the UK version of their website!

So, tell me; what checks does Uber, USA, UK, anywhere, make on drivers registering with them?

How can someone using Uber be reasonably sure that their driver is safe and not a serial rapist whose registered to search for victims?

If you don't want a taxi, then the safer option would be to join a car club.; where you pick up the car and drive yourself.

at least 21 years old

You’ll also need to:

Those terms and conditions are from the USA. They have no legal standing in the UK........

Well, I got them from the UK version of their website!

So, tell me; what checks does Uber, USA, UK, anywhere, make on drivers registering with them?

How can someone using Uber be reasonably sure that their driver is safe and not a serial rapist whose registered to search for victims?

If you don't want a taxi, then the safer option would be to join a car club.; where you pick up the car and drive yourself.

If you look at the the url www.uber.com/legal/usa/terms you'll see that it's the USA version.

I've no idea what checks they make and I'm sure the black cabbies don't either. They're just trying to protect an old monopoly that ought to be dragged into the 21st century.

They're just like the Liverpool dockers and the Smithfield porters used to be. They want everything cast in stone so they don't have to change.

My mistake, here are the terms and conditions for the UK.

The quality of the transportation services requested through the use of the Application or the Service is entirely the responsibility of the Transportation Provider who ultimately provides such transportation services to you. Uber under no circumstance accepts liability in connection with and/or arising from the transportation services provided by the Transportation Provider or any acts, actions, behaviour, conduct, and/or negligence on the part of the Transportation Provider. Any complaints about the transportation services provided by the Transportation Provider should therefore be submitted to the Transportation Provider.

(My emphasis)

I am still convinced that the risks of using this service are as bad as using an unlicensed mini cab or one which has not been pre booked.

'... who are not professional drivers ... Not the occasional drivers.'

And there, you might have hit the nail on the head - except for the inescapable fact that if they are charging, they are running a professional business, and whilst one might see logic in their not being subject to the exact same rules and regulations as cabbies, they should most certainly be subject to a reasonable number.

Seems I was mistaken, i thought this was a carpooling / car share app. But it seems they hire professional drivers to drive around for them. If this is the case then sure taxi laws should apply.

I was under the impression it was more a carpooling / car sharing thing.

• 4 weeks later...

i agree with you about Uber in London.or Milan Bruxelles Paris....but in Bangkok now...seriously?