Louis Vuitton-toting Thai nun apologizes

webfact

Louis Vuitton-toting nun apologizes
By Coconuts Bangkok

nun2_0.jpg?itok=UEiaXOU1

BANGKOK: -- Sistery Sherry, a Chumphon nun known for her charitable works and bling-bling lifestyle, held a press conference surrounded by her disciples yesterday to explain photos showing her penchant for material excesses.

Sister Sherry resurfaced yesterday to hold a press conference after coming under heavy criticism last week for photos which showed her driving a 6-million-baht Porsche and toting several brand-name bags, as nuns are expected to maintain lives of austerity.

“I insist I never take the temple’s money for personal use such as buying expensive purses.” Sister Sherry read from a prepared statement. “The purses were given to me by my disciples who respect me. I’d like to apologize to you for acting inappropriately as seen in the news, but I insist I never intended to hurt Buddhism.”

Sister Sherry held the news conference at the Kanchanaburi province home of a follower.

“From now on, I will be careful and will not repeat the incident,” she added. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/07/04/louis-vuitton-toting-nun-apologizes

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-07-04

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She appologised....good nun.......

It'll be jeans, hat and dark glasses next time she ventures out in the Porche...........but she's not indulging....sometimes these people are less than pathetic

• Like 1

Related to this subject, I got on the bad side of my old gf last week. Some guy came here with a hand full of papers and plastic bags.They sat on the front porch in discussion while I was reading TVF posts and on my fourth Leo of the day. She waltzed in the house and asked me to open the safe. No way I'm giving her the combination. Of course I said for what. It seems she wanted 5,000 Baht to tamboon to the local wat. I asked tamboon for what. She replied for good luck. I said ok have a seat and let's talk about this. I just happen to know of two old ladies that the local people take food to every day because they are so poor they can't afford to buy food. How many times have these old ladies had good luck and the monks took food to them? Deer in the head lights look. I had to ask her three times before the answer "none" came. Next question was, please tell me about only one time the monks have helped one poor person in this village, not two people but only one person. If looks could kill....

I said when you tell me the monks are taking food to these old ladies and I hear about them helping poor people I will open the safe. She started into a dissertation of how I was a falang and didn't understand Buddhism. I got up and said I'm going to buy some beer and I ain't opening the <delete> safe. When I got back the guy was gone and she sulked the rest of the day. Broke my heart.

Good for you buddy! Since when has it been 5,000 baht to make merit? He must have thought you were stupid, and I bet the plastic bags were for your dosh too! Glad u put your foot down!

Your probably right. Every so ofter there will be a van load of these guys from all over Isaan show up and canvass the entire village. I'm sure they go from one village to the next. Talk about a racket.

• Like 1

The abuse of the Lord Buddha by so many temples, sharmans, monks and so on....places Buddhism to some degree, in contempt in Thailand.

Just near my home, is a huge Buddhist amulet, souvenir retail centre, huge posters on the highway in each direction..........

As everywhere else....money talks......a Porche Cayman for the Buddhist nun..(if indeed a loan/gift)......will bring good luck and good fortune to the "philanthopist"....utter BS!!!

• Like 2

Typical in Thailand, she is only sorry she got caught.

Choice 1. A generous Thai benefactor gave his beloved Porsche to the temple as he no longer

needed it.

Choice 2. Simply stole the money from the temple and bought the car herself.

Choice 3. Like the jet set monk, she was laundering money, and getting the car was just

a little of skim off the top.

The jet set monk has COMPLETELY disappeared off of the radar screen, that guy must have

had some serious protection. But given the staggering amounts of money he was laundering,

guess that sort of makes sense. Wish I knew how that worked. So if you give the jet set monk

100 million baht, how does he launder it and get the money back to the person ?? Just curious.

monks bags not checked when they fly out of LOS to europe or LA ?

there its invested in property or narcotics to be recycled .?

she'd better enjoy her blessing. She can still continue as a BODHISATTVA. It's all about jealousy. Hope she keeps her Porsche Cayman.

A BODHISATTVA IS an ordinary person who takes up a course in his or her life that moves in the direction of buddha. You're a bodhisattva, I'm a bodhisattva; actually, anyone who directs their attention, their life, to practicing the way of life of a buddha is a bodhisattva. We read about Kannon Bosatsu (Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva) or Monju Bosatsu (Manjushri Bodhisattva), and these are great bodhisattvas, but we, too, have to have confidence or faith that we are also bodhisattvas.

Most people live by their desires or karma. That's what the expression gossho no bompu means. Gossho are the obstructions to practicing the Way caused by our evil actions in the past. Bompu simply means ordinary human being--that is, one who lives by karma. Our actions are dictated by our karma: We are born into this world with our desires and may live our lives just by reacting or responding to them. In contrast is gansho no bosatsu, or a bodhisattva who lives by vow.

The life that flows through each of us and through everything around us is actually all connected. To say that, of course, means that who I really am cannot be separated from all the things that surround me. Or, to put it another way, all sentient beings have their existence and live within my life. So needless to say, that includes even the fate of all mankind--that, too, lies within me. Therefore, just how mankind might truly live out its life becomes what I aim at as my direction. This aiming or living while moving in a certain direction is what is meant by vow. In other words, it is the motivation for living that is different for a bodhisattva.

Ordinary people live thinking only about their own personal, narrow circumstances connected with their desires. In contrast to that, a bodhisattva, though undeniably still an ordinary human being like everyone else, lives by vow. Because of that, the significance of his or her life is not the same. For us as bodhisattvas, all aspects of life, including the fate of humanity itself, live within us. It is with this in mind that we work to discover and manifest the most vital and alive posture that we can take in living out our life. . . .

t's not enough for a bodhisattva of the Mahayana to just uphold the precepts. There are times when you have to break them, too. It's just that when you do, you have to do so with the resolve of also being willing to accept whatever consequences might follow. That's what issai shujo to tomo ni ("together with all sentient beings" --regardless of what hell one might fall into) really means. . . .

It's not enough just to know the definition of bodhisattva. What's much more important is to study the actions of a bodhisattva and then to behave like one yourself.

Regarding the question "What is a bodhisattva?" you could also define a bodhisattva as one who acts as a true adult. That is, most people in the world act like children. The word dainin means "true adult" or "bodhisattva." Today most people who are called adults are only pseudoadults. Physically they grow up and become adult but spiritually too many people never mature to adulthood. They don't behave as adults In their daily lives. A bodhisattva is one who sees the world through adult eyes and whose actions are the actions of a true adult. That is really what a bodhisattva is.

Edited by wealth

I'm sure Sister Sherry is a good nun. That's what her friend Sister Margarita and her aunt Tia Maria said anyway. smile.png

As they pulled away in a Bentley................whistling.gif ..........Lots to learn here chaps......coffee1.gif