Stopped by Traffic Cop ....... for what?

ianf

Tonight, on the super highway just after the turn off for the airport and before the next turn, I was pulled in at a traffic check.

Yes, I have a Thai driving licence, insurance, road tax ... all legal

BUT ..........

Apparently I have to have a separate license document for the carryboy at the back of my Hilux truck and as I didn't have such a license the cop demanded 400 baht.

We didn't pay and I asked him to refer the matter to my lawyers! My wife was very direct with him and after 20 minutes he backed down.

Is this utter nonsense? Just another way of extracting money from farangs?

Anybody heard of this before?

• Like 2

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you definitely need a license for the carboy if you want to be legal and avoid further issues

Assuming that is correct it sounds like the OP was lucky not to talk himself in to trouble.

If the cop has lost face be careful in future perhaps?

• Like 1

I think its a modification to the vehicle that should be added to the blue book. I think I remember it effecting the annual road tax due, though I may be mistaken.

So any modification to a vehicle needs to be recorded in the blue book, such as aftermarket wheels, tires, bumper guards, roll bars, bed-covers, etc? Serious question...

I think its a modification to the vehicle that should be added to the blue book. I think I remember it effecting the annual road tax due, though I may be mistaken.

So any modification to a vehicle needs to be recorded in the blue book, such as aftermarket wheels, tires, bumper guards, roll bars, bed-covers, etc? Serious question...

Yes most of them. Some will even make the vehicle unlicencable. Others like the carryboy will just mean the increased weight is recorded and tax paid on that.

• Like 2

Presumably just after Donchan junction? Two friends of mine been pulled over there in the last week or so for debatable things such as this. They wanted fine up front for a disputed "detail" or take license, so they gave licenses.

Now a lot of people going around that point as they say getting ridiculous.

So the law is you have to have a license for the carryboy. And if you don't have that license the law is you have to pay extortion of 400 THB?

If we're going by the law, it would seem the OP was correct in asking the cop to contact the OP's lawyers and also refusing to pay the extortion.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 2

it does seem silly but as others said there appears to be something on the books about it...

i always find it odd when people post that a policeman demanded money from them. i've driven here many years and never has a policeman asked for a bribe. i did get a ticket twice that i can think of (once for an illegal u-turn and once for something else) but both times i was given a ticket. i paid at the police station. i think one was 200 and another 400. why would anyone give cash to a policeman and contribute to the corruption?

• Like 2

Yep, including LG.

Presumably just after Donchan junction? Two friends of mine been pulled over there in the last week or so for debatable things such as this. They wanted fine up front for a disputed "detail" or take license, so they gave licenses.

Now a lot of people going around that point as they say getting ridiculous.

Apparently this is not debatable it is the law. Just because it is not enforced 24/7 doesn't mean it is debatable other than in a bar where they will given time debate any thing.

So that would mean your friends were also guilty of breaking the law.

I know you favor anarchy over government but it just won't work that way. Hence the law's which some choose to obey and others choose not to obey. Makes no difference to me. I don't like fines or paying Tea Money.

• Like 1

Your blue book must be amended for a carryboy thingy. You must show your blue book with the amendment to the BiB..

What is this carryboy thingy you all are familiar with?

Does it translate to American?

Canopy on the back of pickup

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As in many parts of the world, trucks are classed as commercial vehicles and are usually sold with a lower purchase tax and subject to a lower annual road tax so as to be affordable by farmers and working people (so the theory goes). Convert it to what is in effect an estate car or an SUV by fitting a CarryBoy type hard cover/aircon/seats in the back and you have to note it in the Blue Book pay a higher annual road tax. So no scam, and no mystery. It's not a whole lot more per year and it avoids the hassle of a stop by the BIB.

Some countries proposed removing some or all of the commercial vehicle benefits for pick-ups with 4 full seats and 4 doors as they (rightly) concluded that many were bought by drivers simply looking for a cheap car.

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 2

As in many parts of the world, trucks are classed as commercial vehicles and are usually sold with a lower purchase tax and subject to a lower annual road tax so as to be affordable by farmers and working people (so the theory goes). Convert it to what is in effect an estate car or an SUV by fitting a CarryBoy type hard cover/aircon/seats in the back and you have to note it in the Blue Book pay a higher annual road tax. So no scam, and no mystery. It's not a whole lot more per year and it avoids the hassle of a stop by the BIB.

Some countries proposed removing some or all of the commercial vehicle benefits for pick-ups with 4 full seats and 4 doors as they (rightly) concluded that many were bought by drivers simply looking for a cheap car.

I recall reading that Thailand does not offer the same tax advantages for 4 door pickups, just the 2 door models. But I have been wrong before.

We wanted to have the stainless steel / chrome ' load ' bars fitted to our pick-up. The guy at the shop said that after fitting, we would have to take the vehicle to the transport department where we would receive a license ( for carrying loads ) for which an annual fee is payable...

• Like 1

Get real guys. I've been driving pick-ups with carryboy tops for the last 29 years in this country. There is no such thing as a "document" or a "license" for a carryboy top.
A two-door pick-up is a mini truck sold/enjoying the taxation of a commercial vehicle.
A four-door pick-up is considered by passenger vehicle and sells/taxes higher.
A carryboy purely covering the back of your truck (without extra seats, air conditioning, pass through from front to back inside the vehicle is license free.
What might need an entry in the blue book is, if you convert your two-/four door pick-up into a minivan by adding a carryboy cover and cut out the rear window of the original pick-up.
Last not least if a cop fines you with THB 400 and is certain about the case then you DO NOT WALK - he'll keep the license and will exchange it against the presentation of the yellow receipt of the police station confirming that you've paid the fine.

• Like 2