Stopped by Traffic Cop ....... for what?

ianf

it does seem silly but as others said there appears to be something on the books about it...

i always find it odd when people post that a policeman demanded money from them. i've driven here many years and never has a policeman asked for a bribe. i did get a ticket twice that i can think of (once for an illegal u-turn and once for something else) but both times i was given a ticket. i paid at the police station. i think one was 200 and another 400. why would anyone give cash to a policeman and contribute to the corruption?

Ummm... because if you don't they will force you to spend the rest of the day at the police station?

The problem with the people who think its ok to just hand over a couple of hundred baht to make the problem go away are only adding to the problems for the rest of the road users, As many of us have seen this acceptance soon deteriorates into situations where gangs of police hang out at ramps and toll gates where all over loaded trucks or vehicles with dodgy docs just toss money out of the window as they pass, so where do you draw the line?

One time i had my day ruined by having to whiteness a traffic cop in bkk come an end in his attempt to run across 2 lanes of traffic to stop a motocyc for the left lane , the sound of the impact as a pickup hit him right beside me stayed for a long time, i feel sure this was one of his daily activities but his luck ran out,

I hate to think how the guys in the pickup were affected by this,

It was,nt long ago when police were caught in the act of kidnapping and extorting 3 italian guys, the list goes on,

In my view the rtp or whatever they were renamed after the coup are way past possible reform.

I have no problem with what you say. You saw what you saw and have an opinion of your own.

Or is it based on newspapers articles for which the press is notorious for only reporting negativity.

My problem is you make it sound like every cop in Thailand is corrupt. I know my wife had to go to the police station to pay for her no helmet and for who ever said it was an all day affair it was an in and out. there are several posts where the offenders were given a ticket and had to go pay at the station. It is not as black and white as some of us would like to believe.

Plus the outside pressure brought on by the public unwilling to pay a decent wage to a traffic cop. Some do not need the money and others do and it is easy enough to get with the way people are willing to pay half price and save some time.

the big question is are we the public willing to o what it takes to cut down the number of bribes. It will never be eliminated the same as every other country in the world there will always be some one taking bribes.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with the people who think its ok to just hand over a couple of hundred baht to make the problem go away are only adding to the problems for the rest of the road users, As many of us have seen this acceptance soon deteriorates into situations where gangs of police hang out at ramps and toll gates where all over loaded trucks or vehicles with dodgy docs just toss money out of the window as they pass, so where do you draw the line?

I agree in principal, but principal only goes so far before it becomes tragic comedy. Don Quixote comes to mind.

4000 years of a patronage system where the cop paid someone for his job, who paid someone for the right to sell the job, who paid someone for the rights to sell the right to....

Not hard to figure out where I fit in that food chain. It's not going to change in my lifetime, and it's not my responsibility to risk a really bad day over less than $20 to change it.

It's their country, not mine- a point that's made clear on a regular basis. And it's a point that I agree with. I like it fine here, warts and all. This phenomena is one of those warts.

If I have a choice of settling on the spot, or handing over my DL until I can pay a local scooter guy to go get it back, I'm settling up on the spot, and getting on with my life.

But I'd like to make clear that I respect the actions of others who make a different choice. And I should also point out that I don't have a Thai wife to guide me through the process in any particular direction.

Edited by impulse

I for one am grateful for the OP raising the original issue, and the immediate clarifying replies following it...

I've been driving a 12 y/o 4x4 with a carryboy (which I am led to believe was installed from new) for over 4 years now, and this is the first time I've become aware of the specific need to ensure that such modification is recorded on the Blue-book (which I will check at the first opportunity). Of course I'm hoping that the carryboy would have been noted at each annual vehicle check and if it was not included in the said book then it would have been brought to my attention.... or maybe I'm expecting too much?

My insurance does not specifically include it, despite a sentence stating that all modifications from original must be advised to them, so I will advise them about it tomorrow.

Probably need to mention the big wheels, bonnet and window spoilers, tinted glass, etc, etc, as well..... ho hum!

• Like 1

it does seem silly but as others said there appears to be something on the books about it...

i always find it odd when people post that a policeman demanded money from them. i've driven here many years and never has a policeman asked for a bribe. i did get a ticket twice that i can think of (once for an illegal u-turn and once for something else) but both times i was given a ticket. i paid at the police station. i think one was 200 and another 400. why would anyone give cash to a policeman and contribute to the corruption?

Ummm... because if you don't they will force you to spend the rest of the day at the police station?

One time i had my day ruined by having to whiteness a traffic cop in bkk come an end in his attempt to run across 2 lanes of traffic to stop a motocyc for the left lane , the sound of the impact as a pickup hit him right beside me stayed for a long time, i feel sure this was one of his daily activities but his luck ran out,

I hate to think how the guys in the pickup were affected by this,

It was,nt long ago when police were caught in the act of kidnapping and extorting 3 italian guys, the list goes on,

In my view the rtp or whatever they were renamed after the coup are way past possible reform.

I have no problem with what you say. You saw what you saw and have an opinion of your own.

Or is it based on newspapers articles for which the press is notorious for only reporting negativity.

My problem is you make it sound like every cop in Thailand is corrupt. I know my wife had to go to the police station to pay for her no helmet and for who ever said it was an all day affair it was an in and out. there are several posts where the offenders were given a ticket and had to go pay at the station. It is not as black and white as some of us would like to believe.

Plus the outside pressure brought on by the public unwilling to pay a decent wage to a traffic cop. Some do not need the money and others do and it is easy enough to get with the way people are willing to pay half price and save some time.

the big question is are we the public willing to o what it takes to cut down the number of bribes. It will never be eliminated the same as every other country in the world there will always be some one taking bribes.

After traveling by road with both car and motorbike close to 300,000 km i have seen all kinds of police corruption in action here, myself i refuse to pay bribes but infact have only been to the police station 2 times,

When stopped i demand both the ticket and the cops ID card.

After traveling by road with both car and motorbike close to 300,000 km i have seen all kinds of police corruption in action here, myself i refuse to pay bribes but infact have only been to the police station 2 times,

So, if you were stopped for a legitimate offence..say eg you weren't wearing your seatbelt and the cop said OK go to police station [which may well be way out of your intended route] pay the fine,4-500 baht whatever it is turn around and come back to cop with receipt in hand and retrieve your licence which he has taken from you originally..and set off on your journey again

as opposed to discreetly passing him 200baht there and then and off you go with the minimum inconvenience..you save a few baht and a lot of time as well.

That is not a bribe IMO..you are still paying for your offence but directly to the cop..after all he does get a cut of it when you do go through all the hoops and pay at police station anyway...

Why not take advantage of the easy way out...why make life more difficult for yourself ?rolleyes.gif

So, if you were stopped for a legitimate offence..say eg you weren't wearing your seatbelt and the cop said OK go to police station [which may well be way out of your intended route] pay the fine,4-500 baht whatever it is turn around and come back to cop with receipt in hand and retrieve your licence which he has taken from you originally..and set off on your journey again

as opposed to discreetly passing him 200baht there and then and off you go with the minimum inconvenience..you save a few baht and a lot of time as well.

That is not a bribe IMO..you are still paying for your offence but directly to the cop..after all he does get a cut of it when you do go through all the hoops and pay at police station anyway...

Why not take advantage of the easy way out...why make life more difficult for yourself ?rolleyes.gif

Why not just wear the seatbelt in the first place? No need to pay money to either the station or the cop. No need to waste time.

Why make life more difficult for yourself? It IS your choice, no matter what.

You bring up an interesting point. I believe it was around 6 years ago that I heard a rumor the police were going to give each officer a kick back on the tickets that were paid at the station in an effort to get people to pay the full fine.

In spite of what some say it does seem that some police officers are following that procedure and sending them to the police station.

Why not just wear the seatbelt in the first place? No need to pay money to either the station or the cop. No need to waste time.

I may be wrong but I think it is a matter of age. The older we get the less we enjoy the hassle so we tend to avoid it more.

OK - just to clear this up hopefully as I have somewhere here who supposedly should know about these things!

The problem is not with the carryboy as such but with the type of license.

If you have been registered as "work truck" or "people carrier" you need to have a higher carryboy with 2 rows of seats (tax is approx 1300 Bt per year)

If it is personal use you can put a carryboy on and not have the seats or the height, but must be able to separate the carryboy from truck easily (must have rubber seal layer in between)

There are some differences between single/extra/double cab.

Sorry in a hurry but that is the gist of what I've been told.

Yeah, it's a bribe, and as said it adds to keeping corruption alive and kicking. You can dress it up any way you fancy, it is what it is.

The cop gets your money either way..Yes? So i would [only if guilty ] pay the lessor amount ,...that makes sense to me.

OK - just to clear this up hopefully as I have somewhere here who supposedly should know about these things!

If you have been registered as "work truck" or "people carrier" you need to have a higher carryboy with 2 rows of seats (tax is approx 1300 Bt per year)

If it is personal use you can put a carryboy on and not have the seats or the height, but must be able to separate the carryboy from truck easily (must have rubber seal layer in between)

How simple that explanation is!

It plows through the mountain of garbage left behind by the authoritarian members.

Type of license [as mentioned in Op and here]is not the issue.

Post #10 covers it exactly how it is by law.

If you fit a ''carryboy'' to any pickup truck you are required by law to ammend the blue book..nothing more complicated than that. coffee1.gif

I may be wrong but I think it is a matter of age. The older we get the less we enjoy the hassle so we tend to avoid it more.

Could be...

Personally, I dislike seatbelt laws and helmet laws. I don't think the governments should get involved with that issue, and have supported lobby groups working to abolish those laws in the US. But by the same token, I'd never ride a motorcycle or motorscooter without a helmet! And the first thing I do when I get in a car is put on my seatbelt. I believe those two can be lifesavers... MY lifesavers. I just don't think there should be laws about them. I don't wear them because there are laws about them. I wear them because I believe they improve the odds of my survival in an accident.

Could be...

Personally, I dislike seatbelt laws and helmet laws. I don't think the governments should get involved with that issue, and have supported lobby groups working to abolish those laws in the US. But by the same token, I'd never ride a motorcycle or motorscooter without a helmet! And the first thing I do when I get in a car is put on my seatbelt. I believe those two can be lifesavers... MY lifesavers. I just don't think there should be laws about them. I don't wear them because there are laws about them. I wear them because I believe they improve the odds of my survival in an accident.

The problem is that people who don't wear seatbelts suffer more damage in accidents which ends up raising the insurance rates for everybody. It's good to keep in mind that driving a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right. Which is why licenses are issued.

• Like 2

Could be...

Right with you on the sentiment, but not the practicality. Problem in nanny states is that the victims become the responsibility of the state when their meager insurance runs out, and we as a society have to pony up millions of dollars because they wanted to be free.

Options ?: Make everyone carry zillions of dollars of insurance: More nanny stuff. Kick the victims to the curb to rot and die when their private insurance runs out: Too mean spirited. Make the insurance companies pay regardless of coverage limits: Yeah, right. Make everyone wear a seatbelt and helmet: Distasteful, but probably fairest without breaking the piggy bank.

Seatbelts have saved my life twice. I am just not comfortable in a vehicle without my seatbelt on.

Yeah, it's a bribe, and as said it adds to keeping corruption alive and kicking. You can dress it up any way you fancy, it is what it is.

The cop gets your money either way..Yes? So i would [only if guilty ] pay the lessor amount ,...that makes sense to me.

Err, no. The cop gets the bribe, the government (police force) gets the fine payed, which goes into the kitty for building and maintaining roads.

Easy for you, bad for the future of Thailand.

But what do you care.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Could be...

The problem is that people who don't wear seatbelts suffer more damage in accidents which ends up raising the insurance rates for everybody. It's good to keep in mind that driving a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right. Which is why licenses are issued.

Could be...

Right with you on the sentiment, but not the practicality. Problem in nanny states is that the victims become the responsibility of the state when their meager insurance runs out, and we as a society have to pony up millions of dollars because they wanted to be free.

Options ?: Make everyone carry zillions of dollars of insurance: More nanny stuff. Kick the victims to the curb to rot and die when their private insurance runs out: Too mean spirited. Make the insurance companies pay regardless of coverage limits: Yeah, right. Make everyone wear a seatbelt and helmet: Distasteful, but probably fairest without breaking the piggy bank.

Seatbelts have saved my life twice. I am just not comfortable in a vehicle without my seatbelt on.

Yes, we discussed this at the very beginning of this thread (or possibly it was the similar thread earlier in the week,) and we agreed on the 'why' behind these two laws. But the fact is that the majority of hospitals (in the US, at least) won't treat someone without a paid-up insurance card handy anyway! As I said, I'll wear a seatbelt in a car and a helmet on my head when riding a motorbike regardless. I just don't feel the government has all that much money invested in the program. If they did, perhaps it would be wiser to put it into afordable health care for everyone. Then they could justify the requirements.

One thing I would like to contribute. If you do not have a heavily tinted windshield, which obscures the drivers face from the police, your chances of actually being stopped goes down. Especially at night.

If you do have heavily tinted wind screen then when going through a check-point at night lower the side window so they can see inside.

EDIT: OH and if you convert your car to LPG that has to be in the book as well.

Edited by VocalNeal

FG,

Are you talking about just emergency care?

The line of the posts were having to do with seat belts and helmets, which leads me to think the answers would pertain to emergency care from a motor vehicle accident.

Edited by hml367

Personally, I dislike seatbelt laws and helmet laws. I don't think the governments should get involved with that issue, and have supported lobby groups working to abolish those laws in the US.

Sorry i missed the fact that a perfectly good thread had been hijacked onto seat belts?

What about infants or children in cars do think that seat belt laws don't apply to them. If there were no seat belt laws what would happen to them.

Maybe there should be a waiver to sign one ones insurance policy and a sticker for the car or bike. To wit "I chose not to wear a seat belt (helmet)so have waived my right to any insurance claim or complementary emergency health care".

• Like 1

Err, no. The cop gets the bribe, the government (police force) gets the fine payed, which goes into the kitty for building and maintaining roads.

Easy for you, bad for the future of Thailand.

But what do you care.

Haahaaa So the government who collects the fine,which goes into the kitty ,as you say is only for building and maintaining roads

Who do you think pays the cops wages? Yes ,the same goverrnment does with money from your traffic fines.

I [if i ever have to pay a fine] will take the easy way every single time..

Also good for the cops who as you undoubtably know are paid a pittance for their work..my ''on the spot fine'' sure does help them and as you probably know these 'on the spot' fines are shared.

Win, win for everyone!!laugh.png

• Like 1

Personally, I dislike seatbelt laws and helmet laws. I don't think the governments should get involved with that issue, and have supported lobby groups working to abolish those laws in the US.

Sorry i missed the fact that a perfectly good thread had been hijacked onto seat belts?

What about infants or children in cars do think that seat belt laws don't apply to them. If there were no seat belt laws what would happen to them.

Maybe there should be a waiver to sign one ones insurance policy and a sticker for the car or bike. To wit "I chose not to wear a seat belt (helmet)so have waived my right to any insurance claim or complementary emergency health care".

I think that would be a wonderful idea! For several years now hikers have been billed for the costs of search and rescue in various parts of the US. People should be responsible for their actions, both financially and physically.

I think that would be a wonderful idea! For several years now hikers have been billed for the costs of search and rescue in various parts of the US. People should be responsible for their actions, both financially and physically.

Stopped by Traffic Cop ....... for what? is the thread..whistling.gif

Edited by andreandre

They must be desperate and hungry by now ,all those 400bht suckers?

Wait until the military "cracks down" on them ,5555

If the Military crackdown on the police, that would mean the police would have to enforce the law 100% all the time. There would be no arguing with policemen at the side of the road. You would have to go to the police station every time. They may even up the fines, put automatic speed cameras every 100 meters, and crush your vehicles at the slightest opportunity to teach you a lesson. All the increased income would pay for all the other plans the Military have in mind.

Maybe they could employ some UK road patrol Police officers to show them how it’s done in a sarcastic school prefect style manner. Corruption has to be stopped but generally speaking it’s really slack here for driving enforcement's and the fines are nothing compared to Europe.I cannot complain about none corrupt fines.

I was stopped at a road block last night (Bangkok). I took my helmet off, smiled at the officer and held out my hand to shake his hand. Like I was very pleased to meet him. He asked “where you from”…I said Manchester United (another big smile).He asked” you have papers” Yes I said I have everything passport license everything…In my room (another big smile). He said OK you can go.

yes ,i understand .....but i'm not an arse- licker .

And i dont lie to escape a fine

And UK road patrol police would be eaten alive here ............go home and stay scared .Ukgayinthai(,start complaining ,it wasn't a typing mistake)coffee1.gif

Couple of weeks ago got pulled at 11pm checkpoint very close to Promenada.

I was driving the bike and wife had gone ahead in the car. ( coming back from an exuberant night in Chiangmai Land--- They happen also. )

She stopped at the CP to wait for me and when I came round the corner I fell off when the cop stepped into the road.

Drunk as a lord on a friday night and the cops picked me up and made sure I got home safe.

Hope this does not hurt the sanctimonious amongst us.

Thank you RTP.

But, there might have been innocent children playing in the road w00t.gif