What REALLY happens when Immigration inspect a school

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just like when you are traveling 91 Km/hr in a 90 Km/hr zone, they may chose to let you go, but it doesn't mean you weren't breaking the law.

I don't think anyone would say that working illegally in a foreign country

is comparable to 1 kmh over the speed limit.

Weak sauce as analogy.

My point being, the Thai authorities don't care that they put foreign teachers in this position,

and that needs to be exposed.

They want a degree in ant farming fair enough, they want you to jump through all the visa, wp, license hoops

fair enough, but what are they doing?

The question stands, how many teachers would come if they knew this is what happens?

• Like 1

Its a question, why not? Lots of people ask questions on the forum, right?

Sure they do! But do lots of people raise an issue, state that they have information or experience relevant to it, and then pointedly declare that they will not reveal anything about their own viewpoint, yet? I'm certain the answer to that is not "lots."

I'm not saying I think badly of your approach, but be fair, lol. If you use a style that is so unusual that someone calls it "funny," then you really can't have it both ways. I thought it was funny too. :)

A pox be upon me.

I can now see what a HUGE issue this is.

In all honesty I kept. All these people talk about deportation heavy fines. Yet I had never heard of such things happening. So I asked the question to see if other people really did have first or second hand experience in these things. I didn't want to come out and say it never happened many people posted that it. But it turns out I was right. No one has ever heard of anyone being deported or fined for teaching English without a work permit. At least no one first or second hand.

Spare me. Thats just silly. I asked for real first-hand expereince with teachers who worked illegally and were then deported.

Used fake documents? Yes it happens. Get caught for some other crime like oversay? OK, sure.

But ANYONE, who has been deported? Or even fined? For just teaching without a work permit? In 18 years not only have I not seen it, I have not even heard of it!

The school gets in trouble, not (from my experience and apparently from anyone else's) the teachers.

I have practicatlly nothing to do with the operation of TEFL International now. I operate no centers and do not even have a marketing website. I am just trying to give REAL information instead of the obviously inaccurate info given by others (IF YOU VOLUNTEER TO TEACH ENGLISH AT A POOR RURAL SCHOOL YOU WILL BE DEPORTED!!!)

The guy who started that thread, Costas2008, will not ever be my customer. I do not care. The forum is for real info. I have been here 18 years. Most of the scare mongers here are just full of crap.

@ brucetefl - you should be banned from this forum. You're claiming that working illegally won't give any problems to foreign teachers of English. So teach away but of course with a TEFL course from your company.

Look back at my first post. After members didn't post their experience, you started sharing 'your' experience. You've forgotten the story of 'hippo'. You also deny the existence of foreign teachers who got busted and don't want to shout this from the roofs.

I was at a school that was raided, an int school. Practice at the time was to wait till teachers non imm b was nearly finished to start the visa process

All new teachers(15) were taken to jail. Court next day; all guilty but not deported. Director got a big fine

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So they had to spend the night in jail? What jail? When you said they went to jail, my guess is they took them to an immigration Office somewhere. Generally immigration has its own jail. It's not a place where all the Thai bad guys go. I think now its out at Chaeng Wattana. Basically it's a place where people wait to be deported.

That's the first I've heard of even that happening. Apparently the director didn't get his money together quickly enough that day.

No one has ever heard of anyone being deported or fined for teaching English without a work permit. At least no one first or second hand.

I made a post on the first page of this thread that you dismissed as an "urban myth".

And by the way, you made the claim that there are "tens of thousands" of illegal teaches in Thailand. How do you know that none of them have been fined (or or off the books), jailed or deported?

Edited by up-country_sinclair

The reason I bring this up is because here we are on the "Teaching English in Thailand" forum and I've only heard of a few people ever getting "caught" teaching English without a work permit. And this is over 18 years experience in Thailand. So let's make one point very clear: these kinds of raids and checks are extremely rare. I think it would be fair to say that they almost never happen.

So with that established, let's discuss what does happen on the rare occasion that immigration visit to school and checks everyone for the legal status.

If immigration finds teachers in the school that do not have all documentation for legal work status, they put those teachers in a room and told him to sit down and wait. They then have a private discussion with the director of the school. Perhaps negotiation is the better term. The school director is told to get together some sum of money as a fine. The director will try to negotiate and eventually a figure will be agreed upon and that money will be handed over to the immigration officer. Once the director does a bank run, the teachers are then told they are free to go.

That's it.

Now on to the myth of deportation:

In all of my time in Thailand I have never heard of anyone being deported for working as an English teacher illegally. I've heard of a few teachers being deported, but it's always associated with something else that they've done, overstayed their visas by years, broken some significant law, or managed to get a very powerful enemy.

Does anyone else have any examples of English teachers being deported in the time they've lived in Thailand? Yet we all know there are tens of thousands of teachers teaching illegally here in the kingdom. Isn't it therefore pretty obvious that teachers teaching illegally do not get deported? Or even in any real trouble?

Every few days someone posts that they want to teach English in Thailand but for some reason, like a lack of a university degree, it's unlikely they can easily get legal status. And there are always dozens of posters warning about the dangers of deportation. One of the recent threads warned of possibly being deported for teaching as a volunteer in a small rural school.

Can we all agree that this is just a myth? A law that is obviously almost never enforced in Thailand.

It still seems people, like you (OP) don't get it !?

1.THINGS HAVE CHANGED BIG TIME. "past experience" of any sort, if it is based on any "dodgy working/visa/v-run practice", is likely to be TOTALLY USLESS NOW as the rules very obviously changed... Hence, OP, your question is rather pointless and just confuses people. Everyone should look at the "now" and focus there and forget about how it was handled "yesterday". Clinging on to the "good times ( for some...) gone"indicates desperation and delusion.

2. first and foremost, "look into the mirror" and ask yourself if there is any "false pretence" regarding your "presence/activity" in Thailand. It's time for a reality check.

2.a. if "yes" (if you see "false pretence" when looking into the mirror...) then you are in trouble today. It is easy to spot (just nobody did care in the past) and there are many easy ways for immigration officers to catch you on the spot (stamps in passport, school visits, etc.) and given the pressure and discretion they have you have all the chances in the world to be "spotted" and .... No point in closing eyes, make appropriate plans based on your REAL situation and act accordingly, don't gaze into the past (see above), it will not help you.

2.b. if "no" (if factually nothing to worry) be best possible prepared to get your message across convincingly, clear and to the point (with evidence at hand) when you meet the immigration officer next time.

I think the current situation is UTTERLY clear (unfortunately clear, for some). Only not wanting to see the realities makes it look complicated....

we all know there are tens of thousands of teachers teaching illegally here in the kingdom.

I don't know who this "we" you are referring to is, but I certainly don't know this.

How do you know this?

Yeah, I think this is a very unlikely number. I would accept thousands, maybe. But, for sure, tens of thousands is just not possible.

The reason I bring this up is because here we are on the "Teaching English in Thailand" forum and I've only heard of a few people ever getting "caught" teaching English without a work permit. And this is over 18 years experience in Thailand. So let's make one point very clear: these kinds of raids and checks are extremely rare. I think it would be fair to say that they almost never happen.

So with that established, let's discuss what does happen on the rare occasion that immigration visit to school and checks everyone for the legal status.

If immigration finds teachers in the school that do not have all documentation for legal work status, they put those teachers in a room and told him to sit down and wait. They then have a private discussion with the director of the school. Perhaps negotiation is the better term. The school director is told to get together some sum of money as a fine. The director will try to negotiate and eventually a figure will be agreed upon and that money will be handed over to the immigration officer. Once the director does a bank run, the teachers are then told they are free to go.

That's it.

In all of my time in Thailand I have never heard of anyone being deported for working as an English teacher illegally. I've heard of a few teachers being deported, but it's always associated with something else that they've done, overstayed their visas by years, broken some significant law, or managed to get a very powerful enemy.

Does anyone else have any examples of English teachers being deported in the time they've lived in Thailand? Yet we all know there are tens of thousands of teachers teaching illegally here in the kingdom. Isn't it therefore pretty obvious that teachers teaching illegally do not get deported? Or even in any real trouble?

Every few days someone posts that they want to teach English in Thailand but for some reason, like a lack of a university degree, it's unlikely they can easily get legal status. And there are always dozens of posters warning about the dangers of deportation. One of the recent threads warned of possibly being deported for teaching as a volunteer in a small rural school.

Can we all agree that this is just a myth? A law that is obviously almost never enforced in Thailand.

You seem very confident about all this, but it's based on past experience. There's a new sheriff in town, and things have been changing fast. Whatever their real motivation might be, it appears that the coup-makers are intent on cleaning up the streets and getting people to do things by the book. They're clamping down on border runs, illegal taxis, buses, trains, and automobiles. Etc. Don't be so sure that they're only after certain 'kinds' of foreigners, such as Chinese and Russians. The stricter enforcement around border-runners and over-stayers shows that farangs are nothing special. Give them time. If they (the powers that now be) are aware that English language schools are doing dodgy things re teachers and student visas, there will likely be more visits from Immigration. The game has changed, and no-one should be complacent ...

The main reason I started this thread was in response to the guy who asked if he should volunteer teach.

At a rural school.

Where no other teacher could even speak English.

At the request of the director.

And he was flooded with responses about how he would be deported and about how illegal it was.

Things may be changing for English teachers. The only change received so far is that there will be no more visa runs. That's not difficult to get around.

But the scare mongers on this board giving absolutely inaccurate information astound me.

That's it.

You seem very confident about all this, but it's based on past experience. There's a new sheriff in town, and things have been changing fast. Whatever their real motivation might be, it appears that the coup-makers are intent on cleaning up the streets and getting people to do things by the book. They're clamping down on border runs, illegal taxis, buses, trains, and automobiles. Etc. Don't be so sure that they're only after certain 'kinds' of foreigners, such as Chinese and Russians. The stricter enforcement around border-runners and over-stayers shows that farangs are nothing special. Give them time. If they (the powers that now be) are aware that English language schools are doing dodgy things re teachers and student visas, there will likely be more visits from Immigration. The game has changed, and no-one should be complacent ...

I find this a fascinating topic.

Someone mentioned that they apply for the work permit in March after they sign the contract and it's all sorted by May when they start... on what planet? Or rather how much in bribes?

My experience is it takes way longer to sort out your first work permit and it's not only me. All the other teachers I have met have had a similar experience. I heard of one teacher (so this is just hearsay) that didn't get her permit until her year contract was almost over.

In my opinion if immigration decided to crack down on teachers working illegally there would be a massive shortage of native English teachers in Thailand. It's impossible for the schools to wait for everyones work permits to be processed before the teachers can start work, so the authorities turn a blind eye.

As far as the recent crack downs, I don't think it really applies to teachers, not from what I have seen. They are only interested in people working illegally in Thailand doing jobs that Thai's can do (Thai's can't speak native English, or not enough to be significant).

IF THEY BECOME AWARE?

The Thai language schools are BLATANT in their selling of Education visas. have you seen some of their advertising?

STAY IN THAILAND

GET A LEGAL VISA

NO MORE VISA RUNS

study thai (DISCOUNT IF YOU DO NOT EVEN BOTHER TO SHOW UP FOR CLASS)

That's it.

Edited by brucetefl

But those schools are not breaking the law. They are licensed and can issue paperwork for non-immED visas.

IF THEY BECOME AWARE?

The Thai language schools are BLATANT in their selling of Education visas. have you seen some of their advertising?

STAY IN THAILAND

GET A LEGAL VISA

NO MORE VISA RUNS

study thai (DISCOUNT IF YOU DO NOT EVEN BOTHER TO SHOW UP FOR CLASS)

That's it.

Edited by Loaded

I suggest those whom have not gone through proper documentation on your present occupational status please do it fast or you would be sorry. You might be lucky in the past but luck does not stay forever.

Off-topic posts deleted.

If a teacher starts the paperwork in March it is quite likely that they will be legal by May when school opens. Our visa person manages to get it done rather quickly. The biggest problem is that many people do not have all the documentation and then it starts taking time -- non native speakers need to take a TOEIC, some people don't have a copy of their transcript, etc..

The current situation means that these matters can no longer be done at a leisurely pace. People run into border issues after a few crossings and then the panic begins. I do know of one young lady who didn't get her paperwork finalized in time and she was give 7 days (I think it was 7 days) to leave the country, which she has now done. She had little recourse since the paperwork wasn't going to get done in 7 days.

In my experience, however, most people are not fully legal when they start work. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

Loaded, I never said Thai language schools were breaking the law. I was referring to the "impending" crackdown for people abusing the system. And certainly most people taking Thai language classes are doing so to abuse the system.

Because we all know those Thai students are going to class 2 hours every week (maybe) and the rest of the time they are sitting in their rooms not breaking any laws...

cheesy.gif

Edited by brucetefl

Well upcountry, in 18 years that's the first time I've heard of anything like that happening. And like many such stories its 3rd person. Possible urban myth, which is exactly why I asked for any direct knowledge.this story may be true but I can't see the other teachers are allowing this to happen nor could I see the school ever managing to hire another teacher.

you are absolutely correct that it's best to have a legal visa and work permit, but people on this forum seems to really go overboard on the dangers volunteer teaching in a rural school.

In my three years as a teacher, I know personally of teachers working without a work permit, no, not me. I even know of one working with a tourist visa.

I think if people start a post they should reply to as many posts as they can. I hate it when people don’t answer questions others have bothered to ask them, about their related to posts. Thanks Bruce for staying with your post .

The question Bruce asked was how many people have had “first hand experience”. It’s a very good question, and to understand the present and the future it’s a good idea to know the past accurately.

I have been trying since the “costas2008” post to answer the same question. I am using Thai people to contact legal departments and government offices to find an answer. So far (1 week) I cannot get a simple straight answer.

Yes there are vague stories about other people, without school names, dates ect. But as Bruce has clearly asked how many people have had” first hand accounts”. When were YOU affected.

You can break whatever laws you want it’s your life. You can risk fines, deportation and jail it’s your life. But it’s nice to know the actual risk.

I think the visa run situation will finish all teachers on a tourist visa situation anyway .Others that hide behind a different type of visa, and still teach, need to know what is the true risk and punishment.

A thread on Ajarn some years ago related the distressing tale of a school being raided and 2 teachers being arrested and deported.

I spoke with a teacher who was there at the time and he verified the event.

The school is on Phetkasem 69. I worked there for one day and I know the school provides work permits to teachers without degrees.

But in all my years here, it's the only time I've heard of it happening.

If you don't want to be constantly be looking over you shoulder, get legal.

If you don't want to pay (ahem) fines, get legal.

If you don't want to get locked up in a Thai jail, get legal.

It's not difficult.

I would have to disagree with it being easy to get legal in Thailand.

I'm just about to fork over 180,000 baht to study in order to work legally, doesn't sound too easy to me.

The school doesn't provide the work permit. It is the Ministry of Labor and I doubt they did it without the proper paperwork. Someone may have submitted fake documents. Or they could have been hired as something other than teachers.

Deporting someone for not having a work permit would USUALLY require the officials to work backwards. Most people get caught for something such as fraud (documents), visa or passport issues. If you get deported for being on the wrong visa/fake visa etc., most people aren't going to acknowledge they are working and most immigration officers aren't going to pursue that issue. The Work Permit moves away from an immigration issue and moves into a Ministry of Labor issue.

They should work together, but coordination is not a strong point of most gov'ts.

OP, you might incidentally be correct about this or that but your comments are wholly supposition, generalizations, and faulty reasoning. You make an observation based on the immediate event in your world that you experience, extrapolate that into a universal truth about teaching & immigration, then try to collect others to see your conclusion? You have no idea about teaching/immigration stats. Following your reasoning is dizzying.

Quite frankly, your a mess of shouting (see CAPS), defensiveness, and false logic. Good luck with your teaching.

The thing to remember is that the country is now under Military rule and the military looks at things quite differently than does an elected gov't. Their accountability is different. They will never be elected to office. They also play a lot on nationalism and foreigners are nearly always a target when the nationalism card is played.

I would exercise extreme care in skirting the rules right now.

• Like 2

First or even second hand events are ok by me. Not "my freind told me about something that happened to his friends".

For the Phetsakem school, I am guessing a few things happened:

1. Director made someone mad by refusing to pay something.

2. School was issuing fake documents which then fell back on the teachers or the school encouaged them to create fake documents.

But even if it did happen, we are talking very rare. And Phetkasem is, in fact, 3rd hand information.

I think if people start a post they should reply to as many posts as they can. I hate it when people don’t answer questions others have bothered to ask them, about their related to posts. Thanks Bruce for staying with your post .

The question Bruce asked was how many people have had “first hand experience”. It’s a very good question, and to understand the present and the future it’s a good idea to know the past accurately.

I have been trying since the “costas2008” post to answer the same question. I am using Thai people to contact legal departments and government offices to find an answer. So far (1 week) I cannot get a simple straight answer.

Yes there are vague stories about other people, without school names, dates ect. But as Bruce has clearly asked how many people have had” first hand accounts”. When were YOU affected.

You can break whatever laws you want it’s your life. You can risk fines, deportation and jail it’s your life. But it’s nice to know the actual risk.

I think the visa run situation will finish all teachers on a tourist visa situation anyway .Others that hide behind a different type of visa, and still teach, need to know what is the true risk and punishment.

Ajunadawn....

Huh?

I LOVE CAPS

lol

Actually this thread is here to allow people, dozens, hundreds, THOUSANDS of people to contradict me. I will then slink away quietly after admitting my personal experience is incorrect.

But GUESS WHAT (including caps just to be annoying now hehe) it seems I was correct. So far not a single (see how nice I was to avoid caps there???) poster on this forum has had first or second hand experience with this happening. And a lot of people have viewed this thread.

So sorry, its your logic that needs a bit of a wake up call.

OP, you might incidentally be correct about this or that but your comments are wholly supposition, generalizations, and faulty reasoning. You make an observation based on the immediate event in your world that you experience, extrapolate that into a universal truth about teaching & immigration, then try to collect others to see your conclusion? You have no idea about teaching/immigration stats. Following your reasoning is dizzying.

Quite frankly, your a mess of shouting (see CAPS), defensiveness, and false logic. Good luck with your teaching.