What REALLY happens when Immigration inspect a school

A school can provide paperwork for non-immigrant B visas, work permits and visa extensions for foreign teachers. If the school were inspected, the school can always argue the application is in process.......

A school can't provide all the paperwork. It cannot provide the Teacher's Licence or the exemption from the Teacher's Licence.

But I agree with the thrust of what you say. A school can provide paperwork (letters) that can be sent to the Teachers Council of Thailand requesting that an exemption be issued. And while you wait for that exemption to be issued the application is in process.

That's not too far from my own situation currently. Last year I was working at a school with a work permit. This year I changed schools. I went along to the area Labour Office with my old work permit and told them I had changed schools and needed a new permit. They told me to get a new exemption from the TCT and then to come back and apply for a new work permit. My new school has written to the TCT in Bangkok asking for the exemption for me, sending them copies of my degree certificate and TEFL certificate, telling them I am working at their school, and we are still waiting for that to be dealt with. The school has chased up the TCT a number of times but they work slowly. I have a signed contract with the school.

I am currently in the country on an extension of permission to stay. It's due for annual renewal shortly. It seems likely that I won't have my work permit when I go to immigration to extend again for another 12 months. But I will have my school contract of employment and a letter from the school that explains my application is in process. I still have my old work permit (which the area labour office were not interested in taking away from me - they actually told me to keep it when I asked if they wanted it). And my wife is Thai so if there are any issues with extending on grounds of employment I will instead go down the married to a Thai national route.

I have no idea when my exemption from the Teachers Licence requirements will be ready. When it is ready a quick trip to my area labour office and the issue of the work permit is a simple formality - that part will be quite quick. Everything is being delayed by the slow speed at which the TCT seem to be working. I've heard that if you go and see them in Bangkok in person it is much quicker, but my school has already put everything in motion by mail and I don't actually fancy a long trip to Bangkok and back.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A school can provide paperwork for non-immigrant B visas, work permits and visa extensions for foreign teachers. If the school were inspected, the school can always argue the application is in process.......

A school can't provide all the paperwork. It cannot provide the Teacher's Licence or the exemption from the Teacher's Licence.

But I agree with the thrust of what you say. A school can provide paperwork (letters) that can be sent to the Teachers Council of Thailand requesting that an exemption be issued. And while you wait for that exemption to be issued the application is in process.

That's not too far from my own situation currently. Last year I was working at a school with a work permit. This year I changed schools. I went along to the area Labour Office with my old work permit and told them I had changed schools and needed a new permit. They told me to get a new exemption from the TCT and then to come back and apply for a new work permit. My new school has written to the TCT in Bangkok asking for the exemption for me, sending them copies of my degree certificate and TEFL certificate, telling them I am working at their school, and we are still waiting for that to be dealt with. The school has chased up the TCT a number of times but they work slowly. I have a signed contract with the school.

I am currently in the country on an extension of permission to stay. It's due for annual renewal shortly. It seems likely that I won't have my work permit when I go to immigration to extend again for another 12 months. But I will have my school contract of employment and a letter from the school that explains my application is in process. I still have my old work permit (which the area labour office were not interested in taking away from me - they actually told me to keep it when I asked if they wanted it). And my wife is Thai so if there are any issues with extending on grounds of employment I will instead go down the married to a Thai national route.

I have no idea when my exemption from the Teachers Licence requirements will be ready. When it is ready a quick trip to my area labour office and the issue of the work permit is a simple formality - that part will be quite quick. Everything is being delayed by the slow speed at which the TCT seem to be working. I've heard that if you go and see them in Bangkok in person it is much quicker, but my school has already put everything in motion by mail and I don't actually fancy a long trip to Bangkok and back.

Actually, according to the law you are not allowed to work until the actual work permit has been issued and is at the place of employment (and can be produced on demand by an authority).

However, in most cases; immigration may give you the "courtesy" of allowing you to work during the process if they are aware of it; but according to the letter of the law; working while your papers are in progress is illegal.

I believe that when you finish your old job you are suppose to cancel the work permit and the visa is also cancelled.

Best of luck and let us know how this works out for you.

You should probably apply for a marriage visa, as if it's taking a long time for the TCT to issue a teaching licence for you, then there might be a problem with it. Also marriage extensions are usually a lot more reliable than work visas, so it'd probably be easier to simply apply for a marriage visa instead if you meet the criteria for it. You can just apply for a marriage extension at your local immigration office, instead of an employment extension, when you go in to do your next extension.

Also technically you probably should have either applied for a new extension or left the country either straight away, or within 7 days (I forget which, I think it's straight away but a 7 day extension is possible?), when your employment at your previous school finished (regardless of the fact that you were then starting at another school).

Although luckily most schools are pretty relaxed/slack when it comes to reporting these things to immigration, so it's likely not a problem. However, you should probably look into applying for a new extension based on employment at your new school (or based on marriage) soon just in case (Also when you do, probably best to not mention to immigration that you finished working at your old school a long time ago).

Bruce, you have nothing to worry about if you work in a rural school. In 20 years I've only heard of 2 teachers being deported and that was for not having a degree and they must have done something else to piss someone off. In rural areas they all know each other, went to uni together.

I friend of mine was caught overstayed and spent a night in the Imm. Jail. Another friend was caught with 8 years overstay whilst working as a teacher and paid 20k baht fine.

Always good to have a 'get out of jail' card just in case. If you've been here 18 years you'll know this.

I believe that when you finish your old job you are suppose to cancel the work permit and the visa is also cancelled.

Best of luck and let us know how this works out for you.

Thanks for your good wishes.

I thought I said that I took my WP along to the labour office and told them about my situation and offered them my old work permit, but they told me to keep it.

My visa wasn't cancelled because I left the country after my teaching job finished and then re-entered the country. I obtained a re-entry permission from immigration in Kon Kaen before I left the country. My re-entry stamp from the airport gave me until the expiration date of my extension of stay stamp.

I visited immigration in KK after I re-entered the country. Told them I had changed jobs and was waiting on a work permit for my new job. Asked if I needed to do anything about permission to stay. They told me everything was fine because the stamp from Suvarnabum airport now covered me. The airport immigration stamp gave me permission to stay for four and a half months, based on the stamps in my passport for re-entry permission and the original permission to extend my stay from KK. KK told me they didn't need me to make another report until the end of that time.

So when I go to see them soon it will be interesting to see how this all pans out. But I plan to have all the paperwork ready for an extension of stay based on marriage just in case the work route is denied to me because of the absence of a current valid work permit.

........Also technically you probably should have either applied for a new extension or left the country either straight away, or within 7 days (I forget which, I think it's straight away but a 7 day extension is possible?), when your employment at your previous school finished (regardless of the fact that you were then starting at another school).

Although luckily most schools are pretty relaxed/slack when it comes to reporting these things to immigration, so it's likely not a problem. However, you should probably look into applying for a new extension based on employment at your new school (or based on marriage) soon just in case (Also when you do, probably best to not mention to immigration that you finished working at your old school a long time ago).....

Thanks Sly - I think these points were taken care of, although I kept immigration fully in the loop about my change of school. See comments in my reply above to Scott.

I originally entered the country 5 years ago on a marriage visa and got my permission to stay extended each year. But somewhere along the way my permission to stay in the country got switched to permission granted on grounds of working. This time might be the time it gets switched back to grounds of marriage. I think immigration just found it a lot simpler to complete their paperwork when it was extended on grounds of work.

Bruce, you have nothing to worry about if you work in a rural school. In 20 years I've only heard of 2 teachers being deported and that was for not having a degree and they must have done something else to piss someone off. In rural areas they all know each other, went to uni together.

I friend of mine was caught overstayed and spent a night in the Imm. Jail. Another friend was caught with 8 years overstay whilst working as a teacher and paid 20k baht fine.

Always good to have a 'get out of jail' card just in case. If you've been here 18 years you'll know this.

I agree.

Bruce, no need to pack your backpack just yet. I'm sure you won't get caught :)

• Like 2

Not until you graduate after 4 years of study. Until then, you encourage them to work on non-imm EDs. I guess that's what this thread is about - reassuring your 'students'.

Nor do I! Much better to take a BA TESOL course and get a TCT exemption! THEN I make more money. See how that works?

I am just giving people real info based upon personal experience. Whether it fits my agenda or not.

No offense, up country, but you are one of the champions of the "work without all proper documentation and you will be deported" club. Certainly if you had any first hand knowledge you would post it.

I have never broken Thai immigration law, so no, I don't have first hand knowledge.

I also have no financial stake in playing down the risks inherent to breaking immigration law.

brucefefl, no offense, but you're obviously one of the Champions of the "work without all proper documentation and you will not be deported" club.

"Your students" , being on an ed visa are and were never allowed to work as English, or subject teachers, until they graduated.

Seems that you're not a native English speaker, otherwise you'd have understood what other poster have written.

Those who got deported won't read your posts and reply. Here's my question: How many of the tens of thousand illegal working teachers in Thailand have read your thread?

So your thread is basically to let people know that they can work illegally, being on an ed visa, provided by people who work for you.

Is that what you're trying to do with your thread? And why are you not allowed to post at another well-known forum anymore?

That's when you started posing here more often.

To make one thing clear. You're not allowed to make that three, or four year degree and go to teach at the same time.

Ed stands for education ,when you'd like to study. Time that they close that loophole.

Edited by lostinisaan

The thing I find interesting about Lostinissan is his/her writing style changes so dramatically from one post to another.

Anyway.....

As I have said, and NO ONE has contradicted, apparently no one gets in trouble for working on tourist or ED visas.

If it happens its extremely rare. Because its NOT the death penalty. They could post if they were deported and their friends could also post.

Wait, are you saying they kill the guy who worked illegally AND their family and friends!?! Wow, thats pretty tough! In that case, DO NOT EVERY WORK ILLEGALLY IN THAILAND! Especially if you have kids. Those poor little kids, executed because their dad worked on a Tourist visa. THE INJUSTICE!!!

cheesy.gif

As I have also mentioned like a kajillion times, not many of our BA TESOL students are working on ED visas. its less than 1/3. And many are working legally with work permits and waivers from TCT. Don't ask me how or why. I just sign the letters to the TCT confirming their enrollment.

And NONE of our 130+ students have had ANY real visa issues in 2+ years. So why would I need to reassure them?

You guys make no sense at all.

Just tell people what life is really like here. And if you do not know, don;t post. But posting things that are not true is... odd? Pathetic? Not sure.

Not until you graduate after 4 years of study. Until then, you encourage them to work on non-imm EDs. I guess that's what this thread is about - reassuring your 'students'.

brucefefl, no offense, but you're obviously one of the Champions of the "work without all proper documentation and you will not be deported" club.

"Your students" , being on an ed visa are and were never allowed to work as English, or subject teachers, until they graduated.

Seems that you're not a native English speaker, otherwise you'd have understood what other poster have written.

Those who got deported won't read your posts and reply. Here's my question: How many of the tens of thousand illegal working teachers in Thailand have read your thread?

So your thread is basically to let people know that they can work illegally, being on an ed visa, provided by people who work for you.

Is that what you're trying to do with your thread? And why are you not allowed to post at another well-known forum anymore?

To make one thing clear. You're not allowed to make that three, or four year degree and go to teach at the same time.

Ed stands for education ,when you'd like to study. Time that they close that loophole.

The thing I find interesting about Lostinissan is his/her writing style changes so dramatically from one post to another.

Anyway.....

As I have said, and NO ONE has contradicted, apparently no one gets in trouble for working on tourist or ED visas.

If it happens its extremely rare. Because its NOT the death penalty. They could post if they were deported and their friends could also post.

Wait, are you saying they kill the guy who worked illegally AND their family and friends!?! Wow, thats pretty tough! In that case, DO NOT EVERY WORK ILLEGALLY IN THAILAND! Especially if you have kids. Those poor little kids, executed because their dad worked on a Tourist visa. THE INJUSTICE!!!

cheesy.gif

As I have also mentioned like a kajillion times, not many of our BA TESOL students are working on ED visas. its less than 1/3. And many are working legally with work permits and waivers from TCT. Don't ask me how or why. I just sign the letters to the TCT confirming their enrollment.

And NONE of our 130+ students have had ANY real visa issues in 2+ years. So why would I need to reassure them?

You guys make no sense at all.

Just tell people what life is really like here. And if you do not know, don;t post. But posting things that are not true is... odd? Pathetic? Not sure.

Great reply brucefefl.

So, you're trying to suggest to do something against the Thai law, which working as an English teacher on an Ed visa obviously is.

The Ed visa is issued for educational purposes, and people are not allowed to work on that type of visa!

I've had quite a few high school students, who had the nice opportunity to study abroad.

They're also on an Ed visa for that particular country and it's clearly NOT allowed to work on that type of visa.

Before those students even make it to their destination, they have to sign a document that they're aware that they're not allowed to work on that type of visa.

Same goes for exchange students from Western countries, who study at a Thai school for a particular period of time.

And exactly here's the problem. All of your "students", who're on an Ed visas will never have a work permit, as they're not allowed to work on that visa.

The fact that nobody wrote a post about teachers who got caught, does not mean that there were no people who went through that process and finally got deported.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

nobody on this thread has made up 'crap' about being fined and deported.

a degree is needed to obtain a TCT waiver but your students don't have one yet, how do they obtain waivers?

not sure what the girlfriend comment relates to

this is a very strange thread

Strange doesn't seem the right word for it. It's frightening how the OP is trying to persuade people to commit a crime. Oh, it's Thailand, no problem.

Of course it has nothing to do to get some new customers for his "institution."

• Like 2

if you want to start a separate thread about your own Crusades go ahead. I stated a very simple question. I've stated my hypothesis.no one is contradicting me. The rest of your babble isn't really important to me or this thread.

• Like 1

What REALLY happens when Immigration inspect a school

They'd find out that some people are on Ed visas and they'll be imprisoned, deported and blacklisted. ( Please see Thai laws)

Yes, that is the law. People working on on Ed visa are subject to being locked up in a Thai jail.

It certainly doesn't happen in every instance, but for someone to suggest it never happens because he/she personally never heard of it happening is ludicrous.

I would never advertise the fact that I had deliberately broken the law, was apprehended by the police and punished by a fine (on or off the books) jailed or deported. And quite honestly, I can't imagine anyone that would.

Edited by up-country_sinclair
  • Like 1

As a quick note, I believe it is possible to work on an Education visa, BUT it is only a limited amount and it's meant to be as a part of your course (similar to how Thai students do their work experience internships).

I've never personally looked into the finer details of an Edu visa, so could be wrong, but believe this is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

As a quick note, I believe it is possible to work on an Education visa, BUT it is only a limited amount and it's meant to be as a part of your course (similar to how Thai students do their work experience internships).

I've never personally looked into the finer details of an Edu visa, so could be wrong, but believe this is the case.

In my opinion, that's a whole different kettle of fish than what's being discussed here. I would refer you to this post made on 24/12/13

The ED visa system has been scrutinised by The Thai Immigration Bureau and Ministry of Education for a long time, and it's widely known that foreigners have been abusing the ED visa system. Thaivisa.com believe the new, stricter requirements is to prevent applicants using ED visas to work illegally in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691465-stricter-requirements-new-application-forms-for-ed-visa-extensions/

In my opinion, that's a whole different kettle of fish than what's being discussed here. I would refer you to this post made on 24/12/13

The ED visa system has been scrutinised by The Thai Immigration Bureau and Ministry of Education for a long time, and it's widely known that foreigners have been abusing the ED visa system. Thaivisa.com believe the new, stricter requirements is to prevent applicants using ED visas to work illegally in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691465-stricter-requirements-new-application-forms-for-ed-visa-extensions/

Apologies I should have been more specific with my post, but am posting from my mobile so was lazy :-p

My post was primarily in regards to what BruceTEFL pointed out, that some of his students have Edu visas and teaching licenses from TCT (And I assume work permits to go with them). Which would make sense, since it'd fit with their course.

If someone were studying Thai or similar, it'd be a different scenario.

• Like 2

I know a young English TEFLer, no degree and placed in a government school by some angency. Got involved with one of the Thai teachers. Thought it was just a fling. She didn't. When it ended she wasn't best pleased and shopped him to immigration for working illegally.

They came, took him away, fined him 500 baht and let him go with no further recriminations. He was on a Tourist Visa at the time. About 1 year ago.

• Like 2

Apologies I should have been more specific with my post, but am posting from my mobile so was lazy :-p

My post was primarily in regards to what BruceTEFL pointed out, that some of his students have Edu visas and teaching licenses from TCT (And I assume work permits to go with them). Which would make sense, since it'd fit with their course.

You assume that they have work permits. I assume they don't. Please see a part of the changes of the Ed visa rules:

1. Two year visa history of the student now required (currently only required for applications submitted in Bangkok)

2. Extra documents required

• Proof of income. (to see if the student can support themselves and not work illegally)
  • Reason for long stay in Thailand, if extended time in Thailand prior to application. ( to check the student is not just a visa runner who cannot get any more tourists visas.)

My point being is that the OP's statement that people can work full time, while doing such a degree, BECAUSE they don't have one, which is the reason why they're doing such a course, isn't really the truth.

I know that I know nothing. Albert E.

Edited by lostinisaan

I'm not convinced it's possible for his, or any, students to obtain a work permit with a non-immigrant ED visa from Thongsook College.

Anyway, I think Bruce was suggesting that they didn't use an ED to get their work permits. I assumed they obtained a B or O (marriage to a Thai) and their employer school, perhaps non-formal, obtained a work permit for them.

• Like 1

The re-entry permit with the date matching the ext. of stay based on employment, even if honored at the airport or border upon re-entry into the Kingdom of Thailand, was still based on the prior school employment. You are currently here on an overstay despite what the office told you. I'm too lazy to go back and get the posters handle. However, rest assured, stop or finish your employment said visa and re-entry permits become void. The computers don't catch it but it will come back to haunt you when/if you get that next visa at the new school.

As to Bruce's latest attempt to promote his "university" or was it "college", as another pointed out, those with common sense can tell that's all he's doing.

• Like 2

So to summarize all of your ranting:

OK, its absolutely true we have no first or second-hand knowledge of people being fined or imprisoned for working on an Education or O our Tourist visa. That sure makes us mad so lets call Bruce names!

clap2.gif

Well one guy did get fined 500 baht because his ex, a teacher at the same school, turned him in. I guess you could say it was cheaper than a bar fine? Wait, there is no such thing as bar fines because that would mean prostitution is legal in Thailand. It isn't.

coffee1.gif

As far as I know, in Thailand you cannot get a work permit with an Education visa. You need to get a B visa (through a waiver?).

And so far, no one has asked UNIVERSITY students to have any proof of income. Apples and oranges with Thai language schools.

And I posted the law. Was it on this thread or another?

Basically anything you do, from cooking your own breakfast to reading a book to breathing is against the law without a B visa and a Work Permit. Thats the law.

Again I started this thread because some poor sap wanted to volunteer teach kids in a poor rural school at the request of the director. He was immediately set upon by the angry mob carrying pitch forks and torches screaming "DEPORTATION" "JAIL".

Its

Just

Not

True

And as someone correctly pointed out, if you can work without legal repercussions on a Tourist visa, it really does not help my BA TESOL program at all to promote this fact.

Edited by brucetefl

You are correct, Loaded.

I'm not convinced it's possible for his, or any, students to obtain a work permit with a non-immigrant ED visa from Thongsook College.

Anyway, I think Bruce was suggesting that they didn't use an ED to get their work permits. I assumed they obtained a B or O (marriage to a Thai) and their employer school, perhaps non-formal, obtained a work permit for them.

I guess you could say it was cheaper than a bar fine? Wait, there is no such thing as bar fines because that would mean prostitution is legal in Thailand. It isn't.

Actually, just to be pedantic, barfines aren't actually acts of prostitution. They are a payment to excuse the person's absence for the rest of the evening. Anything and any transaction after that are strictly between the people involved.

• Like 1