Rice missing, rotten or 'replaced by inferior stock'

Lite Beer

Rice missing, rotten or 'replaced by inferior stock'
The Sunday Nation

30237850-01_big.jpg

Panadda

BANGKOK: -- Rice stored at a number of facilities nationwide under the controversial rice-pledging scheme was rotten, missing or replaced with inferior rice, PM Office's permanent secretary ML Panadda Diskul said yesterday.

Panadda posted a message on his Facebook page yesterday revealing the initial findings of the government's inspection of rice storage facilities, which began on Thursday.

He said many rice sacks were missing while a number of them had code numbers that did not match documents, suggesting that the original rice may have been peddled to mills and replaced by old inferior rice that would be bought by those mills at a lower price.

Besides rotten rice, some rice had not been treated to repel rice-eating insects while being stored, he said.

In some rice-storage facilities, rice had been broken into powder and the storage of rice sacks was disordered, probably in an attempt to make inspections more difficult, wrote Panadda, who questioned how the system could be so lacking in good governance and cause much hardship to rice farmers.

Meanwhile, inspections by a combined force of police and military officers at two storage facilities in Phichit found piles of rice to be subsiding.

Inspectors decided to bring in machinery to help make a more accurate inspection at the two sites. The two problematic storage facilities are located at Bang Mun Nak and Muang districts.

At Muang district, inspectors discovered 152,105 sacks of registered rice weighting a total of 15.18 tonnes. Inspectors will make a determination of its quality.

And in Amnat Charoen, inspectors found rice under the scheme was not missing although some had become rotten after being damaged by rain that fell through leaking roofs.

Inspectors tested the quality of rice in the province and if they discover any irregularities the government will prosecute those involved.

In Si Sa Ket, it appeared no irregularities had been found so far. The quality of rice inspected met the standard specified under the scheme.

The inspections were ordered by the National Council for Peace and Order.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Rice-missing-rotten-or-replaced-by-inferior-stock-30237850.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-06

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freeze of government rice sales causing rice prices to rise

BANGKOK, 5 July 2014 (NNT) – The temporary suspension of sale of rice from the state's stockpile has caused the prices of Thai rice to rise, consequently affecting sellers of packed rice who may have to raise their selling prices in turn.

Somkiat Makkhayathon, president of the Thai Rice Packers Association, said the price of white rice has risen to 13-14 baht per kilogram from 12 baht, and Hom Mali rice to 33 baht per kilogram from 29 baht. Although rice packers are still able to withstand the reduced margin and do not yet have a policy to raise the prices of packed rice they sell to the market, they may have to do otherwise if the prices of rice keep increasing.

General Chatchai Sarikanlaya, the NCPO deputy chief for economic affairs and the head of the NCPO's sub-committee for rice marketing and production, has scheduled a meeting with representatives of rice-related businesses today (July 5) to hear suggestions and to discuss the tackling of issues regarding the entire rice industry.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-06 footer_n.gif

Again this highlights the contempt the PTP had for the voters, the tax payers and the general public.

Oh sure they bought the rice at 40% above market value, but that was were their interest in the scheme finished. That was the end of their responsibility. Storing rice does not win votes. Investigating rice stocks does not win votes. Checking rice quality does not win votes. Being complacent is a PTP trait.

The PTP were not even good at buying the rice in the end. They lied 6 times to the public saying they had the money for the scheme and they didn't. These are my two favorite lies;

13th of September. 2013 - The cabinet said they approved a total budget of 270 billion baht for the government’s rice pledging scheme and said this will support it to March 2014.

25th of September. 2013 Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has said the government was not considering further loans because it would have enough money from selling rice from its stocks to fund the scheme until March, 2014.

Damn, accountability can be a b*tch.

I look forward to seeing yingluck in jail where all Shinawatra's should be.

Not forgetting 2 famous promises both of which fit into the rice scenario, "the cheque's in the mail" & "I .........."

"The government will prosecute those involved." What we will read about in the future may be a few sack stuffers and stackers getting busted. No Thai warehouse property owners and bankers will be arrested or ever prosecuted. Thailand is a laugher.

• Like 2

"The government will prosecute those involved." What we will read about in the future may be a few sack stuffers and stackers getting busted. No Thai warehouse property owners and bankers will be arrested or ever prosecuted. Thailand is a laugher.

And yet one has just been sentenced to 6 years inside. Let's wait and see.

• Like 2

And you know this how?

What happened before happened under politicians.

Thailand is long overdue for a change and now seems to be a good a time as any to make the change.

• Like 2

" Rice stored at a number of facilities nationwide under the controversial rice-pledging scheme was rotten, missing or replaced with inferior rice, PM Office's permanent secretary ML Panadda Diskul said yesterday."

Shocking!!! Who woulda thunk?...Ugh...Like... Everybody!giggle.gif

Yes it is amazing the number of people who can be fooled by the PTP

In some rice-storage facilities, rice had been broken into powder and the storage of rice sacks was disordered, probably in an attempt to make inspections more difficult, wrote Panadda, who questioned how the system could be so lacking in good governance and cause much hardship to rice farmers.

I don't think the rice farmers are among them any more.

how much of these wrongs are scams and how much is pure incompetence. i would guess a fair mix of both

Pheu Thai incompetence and Shinawatra scams!!! The perfect combination to make Yinglucks legacy!!

Rice going mouldy? Inevitable

Badly stacked warehouse? Hahahaha. Most are in some way.

I love how the bangkok pooyais sticking their noses into this are feigning shock about the average Thai rice warehouse

And yes, most of them will have had birds flying in and out and there will be bird shit everywhere.

• Like 1

And yet one has just been sentenced to 6 years inside. Let's wait and see.

Plus the 200 million he was ordered to pay back.

• Like 1

I bet Yingluck can feel the noose tightening around her neck.

I hope they have her passport and have her on the 'no-fly' list along with many of her government cronies who mostly could be found hanging out with the US consuls.

On another note 152,000 sacks of rice weighing 15.18 tonnes.... WOW, that's 99 grams per sack.

I like the first 2 lines... but line 3???

152,000 sacks x K (assumed 50Kg per sack) = 7,600,000 Kg total

15.18 tons = finite 15,180 Kg total

7,600,000 Kg / 15,180 Kg => K actually = 500Kg.

Doesn’t that make each sack 500Kg as opposed to assumed 50Kg? Now that depends upon whether or not Thais use short ton, long ton, metric ton or some other form of Thai ton.

Then again, no assumed weight per sack: so 152,000 / 15,180 = 10 -> making it 10Kg per sack. giggle.gif

I'm having a larff with the maths of course, but something is wildly amiss! whistling.gifcheesy.gif

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

...Badly stacked warehouse? Hahahaha. Most are in some way...

And you find that funny?

I have been in 100s of warehoused in thailand and all over the world. If you look at the pictures in the papers. Actually the warehouses look immaculate.

What would this bloke know about a badly stacked warehouse anyway. Please bear in mind they brought down a government over this issue, so if a badly kept warehouse is justification, my lord.

Have you seen the pictures. They are moaning about mould. What pray tell is anyone supposed to do about that in a country with 80% humidity and 40c heat? Seal it from the outside world?,

What with? Duct tape?

They are moaning about weevils. Do they know anything about the flight radius and reproductive cycles in the tropics?

They would need to fumigate maybe 7 times per year!

Doeehe know how much that costs. They are moaning about things that are completely and utterly beyond the power of any warehouse guy to control in thaikand.

Ooooh. Irregular stack of rice. Boohoo. Let's stick to finding the apparently as yet unmissing 3,000,000,000 kilograms.

• Like 2

how much of these wrongs are scams and how much is pure incompetence. i would guess a fair mix of both

I think that there is a strong weighting towards the scam side.

Thailand didn't just learn the rice trade yesterday. The country has been one of the world's top rice exporters for 50 years; they know how to properly sort and store large quantities of rice.

• Like 1

I think that there is a strong weighting towards the scam side.

Thailand didn't just learn the rice trade yesterday. The country has been one of the world's top rice exporters for 50 years; they know how to properly sort and store large quantities of rice.

That's 90% of the point they don't.

They have run this stockpile for 3 years now.

Rice is normally out of the country in 1 season. Why?

Because you can't story millions of tonnes of rice in the Thai climate without infestation and quality deterioration or mould. The private sector wouldn't be able to store 19mn Mt of product perfectly, let alone the govt.

I have seen old rice warehouses near Khon Kaen you wouldn't put pigs in let alone rice.

• Like 1