should I help ethanize a dog

I am a dog lover and help out many dogs where I live. I was riding the bike a few days ago and noticed an old dog that looked like it had been hit by a car. I watched him cross the road using his 2 front feet to drag himself across the road. The 2 back legs are broken

His eyes have green muck on them and he smells a lot.

He doesnt seem to be in pain at all but very hungry. The old thai lady that is the owner said he has been hit a few times in the last couple of years but is ok.

Obviously Im comparing dogs from back home to this one and I feel this one is having a shit life. But this is thailand. Should I keep an eye on it and feed when I go past or should I get the vet to come and collect and put down?

Do you actually know a vet that would be willing to put the dog down? If you do, it would be appreciated if you told us where you live, so others in the same area could benefit from your knowledge. Finding a Thai vet that is willing to euthanize an animal (even if terminal and in pain) is very difficult, since it's against their religion.

As for your question, without seeing the dog ourselves I don't think anyone here is in a position to give you advice. If you feel that the dog is in pain and has a low quality of life then it would probably be better for him to be put it out of his misery. I paid for the medical treatment of a dog in Bangkok who was found by a kind Thai lady lying next to the highway. Both his bag legs had been crushed (nothing that could be done - old injury), but despite only being able to crawl he obviously still enjoyed life after his mange had cleared and he was fattened up a bit. He was adopted by the lady who found him, and was happy lying on the floor in her food stand. Food and a little attention can be enough for some dogs.

Sophon

• Like 2

You should take the dog to the vets, have him checked out, eye drops for his eyes.

Give him a good bath, worming tablets and heartworn tablets.

Buy him decent brand dog food and if you well off enough buy him a wheel chair.

If you not well off, send me a PM and I will give you wheel chair for free, proving it fits him/her.

I have a disabled dog with broken legs and spine , I would never put him down.

He has had 5 surgery's and all has healed but he can not walk.

He is very happy and has a great life, inability to walk only bothers me, he is not bothered at all.

He is use to it, he has a huge smile every day, chases cats, plays with other dogs and goes for walks in his wheel chair.

If you love dogs and want to help , help to improve his life instead of killing him.

As I said, if you need advice or wheel chair , drop me a line, happy to help

a truly saint amongst us all.

I agree with Pralaad in post #3.

Don't jump the gun with euthanasia yet. Try a little TLC first. A trip to a vet might just do the trick. There are plenty of two and three legged dogs that are perfectly happy.

A little TLC and some shots/drops will clear that green muck right out of his eyes. It doesn't need to cost more than a couple of hundred baht.

My experience with dogs is when it is time to die they know it and do just exactly that all on their own naturally by using willpower.

• Like 1

You should take the dog to the vets, have him checked out, eye drops for his eyes.

If you not well off, send me a PM and I will give you wheel chair for free, proving it fits him/her.

He is very happy and has a great life, inability to walk only bothers me, he is not bothered at all.

He is use to it, he has a huge smile every day, chases cats, plays with other dogs and goes for walks in his wheel chair.

If you love dogs and want to help , help to improve his life instead of killing him.

The dog has an owner, so would be a bit difficult to take the dog away.

blink.png but easy to have it killed?

I would say very difficult to have it killed, its not your dog to kill it, it has an owner. Who even mentioned about having the dog killed?????

I would say very difficult to have it killed, its not your dog to kill it, it has an owner. Who even mentioned about having the dog killed?????

Do you just post without even reading where and what you posting to?blink.png

Read the thread title and OP itself

should I help ethanize a dog

Should I keep an eye on it and feed when I go past or should I get the vet to come and collect and put down?

Edited by Pralaad

in asnwer: its not your dog, so u cant euthenize it.

if u want, and the owner agrees, u can vet it. maybe they dont have money but would appreciate the help. or are ingnorant in matters of dog problems...

if not, then yes, leave it alone. or take care of it without involving the owner, feed, medicate, but remember, what u start u have to finish. u can t just feed for a time then leave it, or medicate once and then leave it...

and if its not in pain, and someone is taking care of it in their fashion, then, .........leave it .

• 2 weeks later...

in asnwer: its not your dog, so u cant euthenize it.

if u want, and the owner agrees, u can vet it. maybe they dont have money but would appreciate the help. or are ingnorant in matters of dog problems...

if not, then yes, leave it alone. or take care of it without involving the owner, feed, medicate, but remember, what u start u have to finish. u can t just feed for a time then leave it, or medicate once and then leave it...

and if its not in pain, and someone is taking care of it in their fashion, then, .........leave it .

+1

What he said

Nice to see someone with a big heart and a true Samaritan... Well done....