Stupid Question

stuxv

Hi guys and girls

We have just bought a house in LOS with the intention of moving out in three years when I retire, I won't bore you with the hassles of getting the house with the recent troubles!

As a relative cherry boy when it comes to Thailand I will be asking dozens of really stupid questions in the next year or so, please be gentle with me.

First daft question is about the postal system, I presume we don't have the local postie out there, how do you go about receiving mail from the UK, and sending it?

See, you are dealing with a virgin here! :o

I used to live out in the middle of the boonies in the middle of an island called koh chang, before they had much of a road..

I got an advent calender from my sister sent in a medium large package, sent to me by surprise, replete with chocolate simpsons characters inside,

chris &&&&&&&&& (name withheld)

lonely beach,

koh chang,

thailand.

No Posties indeed... They beat the royal mail.

First daft question is about the postal system, I presume we don't have the local postie out there, how do you go about receiving mail from the UK, and sending it?
In my experience. Thailand has an excellent postal system.

Of course, with international mail there are always two countries involved and I cannot speak for the UK, can’t say how fast mail leaves the UK. Airmail letters from my place in Switzerland to any Bangkok address always arrive within three working days at the latest, Saturday being a working day for the Thai post. The same in the opposite direction.

---------------

Maestro

When in Thailand I live in the middle of nowhere.. we have a very nice postman who comes around on his motorbike.

When post is sent to me from the UK by air it normallly takes around 5-7 days and the other way about the same.

All in all, very happy with the service... although, did have a small problem when I first sent a letter to the UK, was quoted an enormous price to send a birthday card..... but in the end I put this down to a simple communication error.. not had a problem since... :o

totster :D

Hi guys and girls

We have just bought a house in LOS with the intention of moving out in three years when I retire, I won't bore you with the hassles of getting the house with the recent troubles!

As a relative cherry boy when it comes to Thailand I will be asking dozens of really stupid questions in the next year or so, please be gentle with me.

See, you are dealing with a virgin here! :o

It really shocks me how much a member must demean himself in order not to be demeaned by others...

Iam more shocked by what people will do to please a Virgin!

The other option, if you have concerns and are near a city, is to rent a postal box from one of the private companies. This is especially true if you will have important papers that may be arriving.

In general, however, Thai mail is OK.

A neat trick that we use for letters & parcels incoming to Thailand, is to have the address written in Thai script. You can supply ur friends/family with pre-written labels for ur new address in Thailand.

And always put a return address.

Never had a problem with post to LOS :o

A neat trick that we use for letters & parcels incoming to Thailand, is to have the address written in Thai script. You can supply ur friends/family with pre-written labels for ur new address in Thailand.

And always put a return address.

Never had a problem with post to LOS :o

We send stuff over with both Thai and english, mind you I have sent stuff in english only and never had a problem

People who regularly send me mail have sticky labels (provided by me) with the address in Thai with the single word Thailand at the bottom. All have arrived safely, usually within 3-4 days of posting in the UK.

Hardest part is persuading the little old lady in the post office that 3 lines of heiroglyphics is a valid address :o

NOTE to our US cousins. Apparently doing this from the US is practically guaranteed to get your mail opened, something to do with the Department of Homeland Security.

People who regularly send me mail have sticky labels (provided by me) with the address in Thai with the single word Thailand at the bottom. All have arrived safely, usually within 3-4 days of posting in the UK.

Hardest part is persuading the little old lady in the post office that 3 lines of heiroglyphics is a valid address :o

NOTE to our US cousins. Apparently doing this from the US is practically guaranteed to get your mail opened, something to do with the Department of Homeland Security.

Once had a letter sent from the Royal Thai Police opened by customs here in Oz.

People who regularly send me mail have sticky labels (provided by me) with the address in Thai with the single word Thailand at the bottom.

My mail always get sent using the romanized version of the address... never had a problem with that.

totster :o

Seems most of these posters get their mail without problems but there are some of us who don't. My mail from the UK is hit or miss. I've had it sent with the address both in English and Thai and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Try to get unimportant mail sent at first and see if the service is OK before having anything really important sent. It may be worth while using registered post if it's something you really can't lose! Still no absolute guarantee though. :o:D

I have always had a good experience with the Thai post, but have heard that some people have problems. Could be their local post office is a bad one. Overall I would rank the service highly. I sell things throgh the mail and only twice have had US customers say they never received a package. Gave them a refund, only to have their packages show up a month later stamped by the USPS as undeliveable, no such address, etc.! Got to give the postal people here credit. How many postal authorities deliver mail whether it is addressed in Thai, English, or Chinese?

Hi guys and girls

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. :D

No , The saying goes " there are no stupid questions , only stupid answers " :o

What is relative cherry boy ? Sorry I am too naive. :D

I think our Post is good. But it was better 30 years ago. My mister used to send me letters ( within 12 years of our friendship) and none of them were lost, I still keep hundred of his letters till today. Once we had a big flood in Bangkok and the postman couldnt drive his bike to our moobaan...the post office prepared a table on the main road and leave the bunch of letters there , and I also got my letters too. Postman were trustful at that time and worked hard and non of them were reliable.

Every new year I gave them some presents like a bottle of thai whiskey or cigarette.

But nowaday, postmen in tourist areas are not 100% trustful. But in bangkok is still giving good service and seldom stealing or lost. :o:D

the ems service is pretty good in thailand,& you can track youre mail on the internet with it,& veiw the electronic signature of the receiver.

the only problem i have is that for small objects its quite expensive.

the small packet air service (up to 2kg,& 2 weeks) is a way round this.

I use the post between U.K. and Thailand frequently and never have trouble.Can be a bit slow at times,mind.It goes without saying of course not to send cash or valuables unless you register and even then...

Enjoy your retirement.You are coming to a lovely place.