Honda Click or Yamaha Nouvo?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies, would you guys say 13,000 bhat for a second hand click 2007 with 17,000km is a bargain, what's an averidge price for a second hand click and what are they new? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have a Honda scooter and if I was buying a new one, from those 2 bikes then I would choose the Nouvo. No problems with my Honda at all, it's great. Two rear shocks on the Nouvo can help a lot or the larger 'farang'. I've read the click seems a little faster but I doubt there's much difference. Nouvo looks nicer for sure. At that level of bike it should really come down to which one you like the look of the best.

Rent them both and see which you prefer.

The resale on Yamaha compared to Honda is dreadful.

I have a Honda scooter and if I was buying a new one, from those 2 bikes then I would choose the Nouvo. No problems with my Honda at all, it's great. Two rear shocks on the Nouvo can help a lot or the larger 'farang'. I've read the click seems a little faster but I doubt there's much difference. Nouvo looks nicer for sure. At that level of bike it should really come down to which one you like the look of the best.

Rent them both and see which you prefer.

The resale on Yamaha compared to Honda is dreadful.

...and that is because Thais only know Honda...and Nouvo is to big for most of them anyway....but because of its size,Nouvo is much more suitable for a Western rider.

• Like 1

I have two Clicks at home and must say they're not that good to be honest. Starting is always a problem and I've had one rebuilt after just 7000km. However, this only cost 6000 Baht and the chap that does it is a wonderful bloke.

Have ridden Yamaha's and noticed the difference in quality. Seems like a different world.

• Like 1

13,000 baht (£235) for a honda with just 17,000KM (10,500 Miles) on it , is cheap enough - and goes to show how much Hondas loose in value. How much more is the Yamaha. The Honda may last a few years before requiring a rebuild ( see MJP above , who only paid 6,000 Baht) , but would you be happy on it , knowing you could have / should have , bought a much better Yamaha , with its better build quality and safer handling.A new click can be 55,000 Baht - or 30,000 Baht in a couple of years. Look at how your going to feel about the bike over the years yuo own it. Then buy the YAM !!!

In some cities in the south you will be surprised how many yamaha scooters are there. nearly as much as Honda.

Honda scooters are just brand name. I own one and have ridden both brands.

For example, the Yamaha Tricity looks really nice, it even has rear disk brake.

Compared to the Honda SH150i which also has rear disk brake but cost 20K more.

Resale value on a 40-60K bike?

Is this really such a huge concern that it would sway a purchase decision?

If you bought a new car you would lose the cost of a scooter just driving off the parking lot.

A decent laptop computer or road bicycle costs more than either of these scooters but do you ever think of resale value on such items?

Every time you ride a bike you are putting your life at risk so you should probably buy the best bike you can afford to have stolen or crash.

We are all lucky we can buy these bikes so cheap.

To think they cost so little but can do so much and last so long is amazing.

• Like 2

13,000 baht (£235) for a honda with just 17,000KM (10,500 Miles) on it , is cheap enough - and goes to show how much Hondas loose in value. How much more is the Yamaha. The Honda may last a few years before requiring a rebuild ( see MJP above , who only paid 6,000 Baht) , but would you be happy on it , knowing you could have / should have , bought a much better Yamaha , with its better build quality and safer handling.A new click can be 55,000 Baht - or 30,000 Baht in a couple of years. Look at how your going to feel about the bike over the years yuo own it. Then buy the YAM !!!

I definitely wouldn't buy another Click. I would buy another old Honda Wave though. Indestructible.

jackcorbett , i was going to start a collection for you untill i realised that , by not having to upgrade the tires and susspension on the Yamaha to make it safe (as you would have had to on the "Honda" , your "quids"(Dollars) better off. ERGO - drinks are on you!. The Chinese "copies" in vietnam probly use component parts from the same factories as Honda.

• Like 1

well, the facts:

A Honda Click from 2007....caburettor for 13.000 Baht. (I sold a 2010 Click with FI for 19500 last year)

A Nouvo of unknown age, but I would guess around the same age as the Click, so it's most likely no Elegance but an old SX.

I owned different bikes of both brands and I find the general build quality of the Yamahas a little bit superior to the Hondas (except maybe Wave).

Just listen to the starting sound of a Click (not 125), Scoopy, Zoomer, Spacy etc.

Its like the rattling noise when shaking a metal box full of nuts and bolds.

The transmission of Hondas tend to shudder (rollers and clutch linings), no major issue, but...

The Yamahas (Carb) are hard to start after a few days of non-use.

The Yamaha carb versions (2009-2012) are gas-guzzlers compared to the FI Hondas of the same age.

Loads of the former 115cc's have problems with a howling rear transmission.

But the newer 115/125 "Diasil" engines are really great.

However, a 2007 carburettor Click/Nouvo is just junk antique, so or so.

I would definitely shell out a few Baht more and buying a FI model, no matter which brand.

Edited by Turkleton

As has been pointed out, to compare like with like you would compare the Click to the Mio (that would be an interesting comparison). I can't see the point in comparing a Click to a Nouvo. Nobody buys a Click for speed or wheel size but because they want a platform to put their feet or luggage.

• Like 2

jackcorbett , i was going to start a collection for you untill i realised that , by not having to upgrade the tires and susspension on the Yamaha to make it safe (as you would have had to on the "Honda" , your "quids"(Dollars) better off. ERGO - drinks are on you!. The Chinese "copies" in vietnam probly use component parts from the same factories as Honda.

Nigel Jeffrey. Come to think of it, I should ring the bell for all of you. When I was in the U.S. I must have been driving close to 100,000 kilometers a year. I figure the depreciation on my Mazda Miata sportscar and my Dodge four wheel drive ran into the thousands of U.S. dollars for a single year. Perhaps I'll just keep my carbed Yamaha Nouvo Elegance and get one of the upcoming "classic" Yamaha SR 400's for 250,000 baht or whatever it costs just for the nostalgia of old times revisited.

jackcorbett , i never knew what the expression "ring the bells" meant untill my first visit to LOS over 20 years ago. Most people dont consider depreciation when buying new. Not too much worry on a second hand bike , but nice to know , and repair costs. edwardandtubs , the OP was offered the choice of two bikes only - Click and Nouvo. Yes , the Mio is closer to the Click. Big advantage to have a flat floor for some people but results with the structurly weak Honda bending in the middle - thats the reason the seat catches dont catch , the frames bent out of line.

As for those in here who are extolling the virtues of Honda Waves and the like, the reason most upcountry Thais in the village buy Honda Waves is they can't afford anything better. And as for their "superior reliability" you guys aren't thinking clearly. If you buy a Yamaha Nouvo or the equivalent you ride and ride and ride. Except for niggly things such as replacing batteries, light bulbs tires and possibly an occasional replacement brake pad in the rear for 180 baht or so, you don't touch them. One of my good friends here has one of the first Yamaha 135 Elegances to come out and he's driven his Elegance for 34,000 kilometers and still not touched the drive belt. By now he would have already replaced several drive chains had he owned a Honda Wave and perhaps a sprocket or two, plus he would have been driving a dinosaur with a backwards clunky gear shift mechanism that people like myself who have grown up with traditional shift motorcycles with their one down and four or five up shift patterns will never get used to and won't want to either.

Let me give everyone an analogy. For 23 years I farmed for a living. Most farmers are intelligent, practical people who buy the most reliable equipment they can at reasonable cost. And this includes their mowers they use to mow their lawns with. I'd say my case was typical. I had a three acre lawn. Especially in the Spring and early summer the grass had to be mowed every four or five days. If the job goes beyond this period the grass gets too high and you can't get through it with a riding mower and you end up having to do it with a much smaller push type mower that is especially designed to get through tall grass and weeds. Unfortunately Spring time also means getting the crops planted, and when that time comes there's no pussyfooting around. You work day and night when it's not raining and the fields are not too wet. On the average you've got about 8 days to get your corn planted. And somehow you still must find the time to get the yard mowed.

The problem was, until thirty years ago or so, most riding mowers were unreliable and needed a lot of attention, and in my case I had something like 150 trees to get around. But after having to contend with equipment that was not up to the job, I bought a Grasshopper mower with a 52 inch deck. I had my doubts at the time. The Grasshopper looked rather flimsy. It certainly looked too fragile for serious work at the farm. But it sure would get around the trees, and it was efficient and fast with a zero turning radius (it could turn on a dime). My grasshopper had a hydrostatic transmission that made the machine fully automatic much like automatic motorbikes like the Yamaha Nouvo, Airblade, PCX, etc. The grasshopper had two slender wands I'd pull back to make the machine go backwards or pull one way or the other to make turns. If you want to go fast you just push the wands forward and if you just start pulling them back. You can inch up to a tree or an obstacle at one tenth of one mile an hour if you like because my grasshopper had an infinitely variable transmission.

But the greatest surprise of all is the Grasshopper was extremely reliable. THe thing would always start. It had a great engine, but once in awhile I'd break or stretch a belt especially if I was going through wet tall grass. But it would only take me ten minutes to replace one of the two belts because the entire mechanism was so easy to get at and manipulate. And the transmission was terrific.

Let me give you an idea of what this machine is all about. Grasshopper web site And here's a you tube video

Think about it---the stress placed on the belt and transmission of such a mower is far greater than what is put on the belt of an automatic motorbike especially when going through tall wet grass. And as for fun and ease of use, I'm heading out to my farms in the U.S. from Thailand in just one month with my Thai girlfriend and I'll be borrowing a grasshopper and make her do a little lawn mowing just for fun and games.

This goes like a very stupid thread. A honda bash thread with guys knows nothing about bikes.

Especially sentences like honda click breaks apart from the middle right away tells me that person nows nothing about scooters.

OP just get a honda click. Dont listen these yamaha nuovo guys. I am sure they regret tjeir decision on buying a yamaha nuovo but just cannot confess it here.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ll2

This goes like a very stupid thread. A honda bash thread with guys knows nothing about bikes.

Especially sentences like honda click breaks apart from the middle right away tells me that person nows nothing about scooters.

OP just get a honda click. Dont listen these yamaha nuovo guys. I am sure they regret tjeir decision on buying a yamaha nuovo but just cannot confess it here.

BS

• Like 2

BS

BS? check your post and some above if you want some! You guys are turinign this to a Honda bash thread and add up nothing.

I rode both bikes and can say click 125i is much more dynamic bike especially with alloy rims so comments here like - most probably from people never rode one - it is breaking from the middle and it does not ride good is a lot BS. Do Vespas also break in the middle?

Nuovo on the other hand feels like a bike for elderly gentleman and with no space to but something in the middle - why the hell they design scooters with no flat board nowadays? it just makes a scooter a lot less practical where practicality is a scooter's strong point normally.

plus, i own a honda wave 125x and all i changed for long years are oil, spark plug, ones, chain and sprockets and bike is 11 years old. Comments like people living in a village cannot afford a wave is the BS of the month i guess! as a honda wave 125 is more expensive than many scooters around or honda wave 110 is close to scooter prices. Just less fuel bills alone are enough for them to get a wave on top of years of reliability.

you, as a farmer with practical mind, you dont expect people living in villages doing farming buying a scooter that is designed for congested city rides, right? sure it is not a farmer's way, at least not in Thailand maybe where you come from, farmers are riding scooters like sissies around the farms and fields? and pay for lot of extra fuel, belts and complicated things that are harder to fix?

Edited by ll2

jackcorbett , 112 has some issues if you dare to come up with good advice on buying bikes - if those bikes arent "Hondas". People have a choice whether to lower themselves by pointing out the facts. Waste of time. On a happier note - if your girlfriend takes on the lawn mowing , does she need a work permit ? HE HE. I envy you having a 3 acre lawn.

• Like 2

jackcorbett , 112 has some issues if you dare to come up with good advice on buying bikes - if those bikes arent "Hondas". People have a choice whether to lower themselves by pointing out the facts. Waste of time. On a happier note - if your girlfriend takes on the lawn mowing , does she need a work permit ? HE HE. I envy you having a 3 acre lawn.

Well Nigel Jeffrey, One can lead a donkey to water but you can't make him drink.

• Like 1

We recently tested a Honda and the Yamaha competitor and one thing I have to say, in the end it all comes back to one is a Honda and the other is a Yamaha... In our test the Yamaha had the better suspension, the better fueling and the freedom to ride the bike as you would like without restrictions.

Of course not all of this will apply to a scooter. The Honda Click lineup is bullet proof, while I can actual kill a Yamaha Nouvo SX with a tropical rainstorm... Even the fuel-injection on the Yamaha is not that refined as the Honda PGM-FI....

Any Honda owner will laugh at any Yamaha scooter owner if it comes to fuel consumption.... Some Yamaha scooters will actual go faster and do better on a straight line... but seriously why you buy a scooter, that you should need to think about...

• Like 1

Well, two Clicks, a Kawasaki 130 thing and a 110 Wave. Kawasaki died early doors. Click's are horribly unreliable and the Wave just keeps on going and never has any servicing. It doesn't set the world alight but it starts.

From experience, my vote for a reliable scooter goes to the Wave.

Edited by MJP