Outrage over Thai tourists 'vandalising' Great Wall of China

webfact

Many of the messages were proclamations that certain Thai individuals had been there, accompanied with their names.

I was there too with one of my names.

As my friend says. "The last idiot is still not born" 1zgarz5.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

Yup, but the first one was most probably German.

Edited by Payboy

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago we were hearing Thais complain about boorish Chinese tourists and their farmyard habits?

The boorish Thais with farmyard manners can't afford to travel to China. They do their damage in Bangkok.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

If they'd just scratched their names like the tourists aka invading soldiers did in the old days then in a thousand years time people might marvel at it.

Of course by then the Thais will be back to being Chinese again and no one will mind. smile.png

Edited by bigbamboo

we all know what happens when some one,especially a forienger, who disgaces any religious ,politcle or government property not to mention a hostorical monument...thais know better...disgusting...we expect this behaviour from russians,but thais..not cool..

7 wonders of the world should be renamed "7 wonders of Euro centric world", which is what it clearly was. No Angkor complex, No great wall, No Mexican pyramids, No Borobodur.

I remember going to Ramses IX (think it was #9) tomb in Egypt and seeing original Graffiti (Greek word) written in the passageway. Put there couple thousand years ago. Translation was said to be "Man City Sucks. Go Man U".

Not idiotic people writing on the wall. Had to be smart enough to get $$ for visit to China. More like unthinking upper class oblivious to anyone other than themselves

Angkor didn't qualify on "ancient-ness"!

The original Name is:

"The 7 Wonders of the Ancient World" (this list is a relict of old times).

and Ancient or Antike means in this case built BC.

The historian Herodotus (484 – ca. 425 BCE), and the scholar Callimachus of Cyrene (ca. 305 – 240 BCE) at the Museum of Alexandria, made early lists of seven wonders. Their writings have not survived, except as references.

Also a lot of places built BC was still not discovered when this list was made first time from Greecs..

Angkor was built far over 1000 years later this is why it is not in this list.

In general I agree with you about Angkor, this is in another much bigger and more fair list(World Heritage) as a lot of other nice places in this World.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/668

Carpe Diem wai2.gif

Remember, as the OP stated, it was Thais upset about other Thais putting their names on the stones, not Chinese complaining about the Thais. Also, if the names were not in the designated graffiti area, then maybe there's more case to complain. But, you know, so many people (who I guess even live here!) seem to love to complain about Thais, rabble all up and down about ... and yeah, trash the whole nation.

How do you think these idiots would feel if the Chinese started scrawling graffiti all over the Thai people's most sacred monuments or even pictures of he who is held most sacred here???

I think they may understand their stupidity when the shoe is on the other foot.

In a way, I hope it happens.

No comparing apples to apples at all -- the wall has all sorts of graffiti in certain areas (mostly Chinese) and somebody simply went around and snapped pics of those which were Thai and posted them online.

It is such a problem that ....

China Creating Designated 'Graffiti Zones' on Great Wall ... http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/china-creating-designated-graffiti-zones-great-wall-n50046 (First published March 12th 2014)

We should not blame explicit only Thai's, we should blame all the idiots whom did made these kind of Vandalism. 1zgarz5.gif

Regardless of any race or nationality.

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago we were hearing Thais complain about boorish Chinese tourists and their farmyard habits?

Well, now you can hear it again................

Recently, eating in the level 1 cafeteria at Suv. A group of Chinese tourists sat near me , two of the men were actually spitting their bits of unwanted chicken and bones on the floor. On another level i saw a Chinese man turn his head and spit on the concourse floor. ..........Ah ! the Chinese culture. w00t.gif

This is real Chinese style spitting everywhere, they should do this in Singapore. post-4641-1156693976.gif

Many of the messages were proclamations that certain Thai individuals had been there, accompanied with their names.

As my friend says. "The last idiot is still not born" 1zgarz5.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

You are maybe right,clap2.gif

but the reason why you not could be the first, caused you was still living in Cave. cheesy.gif

but the reason why you not could be the first, caused you was still living in Cave. cheesy.gif

Had to take shelter somewhere. Outside there were idiots going wild laughing at their own jokes.

• Like 1

Graffiti by Thai tourists on the Great Wall in China . . . Chinese tourists taking a dump in the moat at Chiang Mai . . . sounds like they deserve each other . . .

Best post.

7 wonders of the world should be renamed "7 wonders of Euro centric world", which is what it clearly was. No Angkor complex, No great wall, No Mexican pyramids, No Borobodur.

I remember going to Ramses IX (think it was #9) tomb in Egypt and seeing original Graffiti (Greek word) written in the passageway. Put there couple thousand years ago. Translation was said to be "Man City Sucks. Go Man U".

Not idiotic people writing on the wall. Had to be smart enough to get $$ for visit to China. More like unthinking upper class oblivious to anyone other than themselves

The original Name is:

The historian Herodotus (484 – ca. 425 BCE), and the scholar Callimachus of Cyrene (ca. 305 – 240 BCE) at the Museum of Alexandria, made early lists of seven wonders. Their writings have not survived, except as references.

Also a lot of places built BC was still not discovered when this list was made first time from Greecs..

In general I agree with you about Angkor, this is in another much bigger and more fair list(World Heritage) as a lot of other nice places in this World.

Carpe Diem wai2.gif

Sorry, with all due respect, that's BS :)

The World Heritage Site list has become a joke lately. Many sites are added for political reasons. Example: most sites added the last few years are in China. If I need to explain, then you don't know about China.

Looking at the dates isn't it kind of late for the faux outrage?

We see graffiti on the walls of some buildings made by roman soldiers and look at it with great interest and historic importance. A hard nylon brush and a bucket of soapy water will remove the 'scar' in a matter of minutes.

I get the feeling that it was written by Farangs to show Thais in bad light

No you don't. Not for an instant. Why do you feel the need to post such flapdoodle?

The original Name is:

Carpe Diem wai2.gif

Sorry, with all due respect, that's BS smile.png

The World Heritage Site list has become a joke lately. Many sites are added for political reasons. Example: most sites added the last few years are in China. If I need to explain, then you don't know about China.

I can not give a general comment to the World Heritage List, caused I did'nt had visited so many places and not in China at all.

With all due respect also, but my answer was focused on Angkor, not any place in China.

1. I Don't know what means BS, maybe you can explain me!?

http://www.abbreviations.com/BS

2. BC means "before Christ"

Carpe Diem wai2.gif

Had to take shelter somewhere. Outside there were idiots going wild laughing at their own jokes.

Good answer maybe I should apologize for "Idiot" thumbsup.gif

Carpe Diem wai2.gif

• Like 1

Every time I see these "Kilroy was here" graffiti, I remember my good ole Ma intoning...

"Fools' names,

Are like fools' faces,

Always seen,

In public places"

Her little quip has held me back from adding my name to the public Fools' Roster over these 60+ years.

How do you think these idiots would feel if the Chinese started scrawling graffiti all over the Thai people's most sacred monuments or even pictures of he who is held most sacred here???

No comparing apples to apples at all -- the wall has all sorts of graffiti in certain areas (mostly Chinese) and somebody simply went around and snapped pics of those which were Thai and posted them online.

China Creating Designated 'Graffiti Zones' on Great Wall ... http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/china-creating-designated-graffiti-zones-great-wall-n50046 (First published March 12th 2014)

We should not blame explicit only Thai's, we should blame all the idiots whom did made these kind of Vandalism. 1zgarz5.gif

Here in Siem Reap I have seen graffiti by a large variety of nationalities. Idiots are not confined to any one race, religion, or nationality...

• Like 2

"5 of the 7 wonders of the ancient world were in Africa or Asia. "Eastern Mediterranean-centric" might be more accurate." Well, those Greeks and then Romans used to have fun in Egypt, hence lighthouse at Alexandria (coincidence on name Alexander?). Maybe just call it the "(European) known world wonders'. Did the French under Napoleon shoot off nose of Sphinx, or was that Brit propaganda? Was there some mention of defacing temple of the Emerald Buddha? That fine piece was stolen from Laos....

Thais have never respected other people's cultures. Why is this news?blink.png

Wrong...graffiti by tourists is common among all tourists. Go to the bloody pyramids, covered in every language

and every era.

Wrong...graffiti by tourists is common among all tourists. Go to the bloody pyramids, covered in every language

and every era.

Exactly/ What a BS comment. Went to the Acropolis 30 years ago and most of the graffiti was by Brits.

TV: never let facts get into the way of some Thai bashing,

"5 of the 7 wonders of the ancient world were in Africa or Asia. "Eastern Mediterranean-centric" might be more accurate." Well, those Greeks and then Romans used to have fun in Egypt, hence lighthouse at Alexandria (coincidence on name Alexander?). Maybe just call it the "(European) known world wonders'. Did the French under Napoleon shoot off nose of Sphinx, or was that Brit propaganda? Was there some mention of defacing temple of the Emerald Buddha? That fine piece was stolen from Laos....

The first list was made by greeks they could only tell about their world(eastern part of meditterean sea) they was knowing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Pelop_krieg1.png

In this time was Rome a town and southern italy partly Greek.

Alexandria was founded by Alexander the great 331 BC he was the first who conquered Egypt.

The nose was damaged 1378 by a Fundalism muslim

Mohammed Saim el-Dar, he got lynched after his vandalism.

I can recommed google and sometimes is it informative to read the posts before.

I prefare facts no speculations and no propaganda at all.

Carpe Diem wai2.gif

• Like 1

Here in Siem Reap I have seen graffiti by a large variety of nationalities. Idiots are not confined to any one race, religion, or nationality...

Do you talking about the City of Siem Reap or do you mean Angkor?

and every era.

I would put this idiots minimum 1 month in prison and in top a huge fine and pay for cleaning also.