Thai rice scandal: More rice missing from storage

webfact

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a delivery boy come in (empty handed) several months ago and hand my cashier a bill for goods. She paid him and I clearly heard him say in thai "The farang hasn,t a clue what we are up to" ! A very common scam in this country, and isn,t it strange that a certain family,s wealth increased by 300-400% :)

• Like 1

Certainly sems as if there is a certain amount of creativity in tallying up the amountof rice in stock along with the control on the ''transportation'' of said rice which seems to have been a trifle sloopy as well.

Indeed it would seem as those in charge of this particular scam scheme to benefit those known or unknown have performed in a passable manner and plainly achieved a degree with distinction concerning the uinsophicated art of corruption.

One is lnclined to wonder how this matter can be defended now by those staunch defenders of the previous administartion when as many of us have been saying since the scam scheme was instigated that the scam scheme was indeed a farce which is now been proven with rotten rice along with broken stock of an unusual colour which could not be explained", said an official along with rice that appears to have gone ''walkabout."

Not meaning to defend the Yingluck clan and her administration by any means .....but this is no surprise.

When ever there is large sums of money involved the people administering the programs turn into thieves and pirates.

If not every time then nearly every time.

The readers need to be reminded that the democrats and the former government administrations wrote the book on how to scam and steal money from the government programs.

Everyday in the newspaper there was exposure of a new scam and malfeasance on part of the government officials long before the Shinawatra clan pulled up to the feeding trough.

25 years back, 20 years back 15 years back , You would read in the newspaper about the latest scam for about 1 week before it was superseded by another scam and more malfeasance exposed in yet another department of the government administration of the time.

The only thing that has changed is the perpetrators are all the more abundant than before.

Red shirts, Yellow shirts, Blue or Purple shirt party, it does not matter as you can be assured they will steal and or divert as much money as they believe they can hide while utilizing their government positions for personal gain in a variety of crafty and seemingly clever ways along with the long practiced standard methods of fudging the numbers and receiving kick backs and bribes.

• Like 1

290000 bags missing and it's only day 4 of the audit.....gonna be some twitching sphincters this week!

Interesting to see how people only read what they want to. Read again and you will see that they aren't certain if the 200 000 bags are really missing as there are stocks that was sold. Lets wait for the audit to be completed in full and then see how much damage have been done and who are guilty of what. Until then let the people do their job.

....as the Govt rep which was handling the payments.

...there was only one bank involved it should have all the records of exactly how much rice each farmer sold and how much they were paid for that rice.....

Slight paradox there Robby.

We're talking the ex-government here, and its reps... ;)

The NACC has already got enough evidence to hang Yingluck and several key PTP ministers, but let's see the exact scale of this scam that they pleaded had no corruption going on.

I'm dare to be on someones site here. But reading lines like this make me feel your are really a lost soul...

Ho ho ho...

The noose is tightening and tightening as every day passes and they haven't even scratched the surface yet.

The NACC has already got enough evidence to hang Yingluck and several key PTP ministers, but let's see the exact scale of this scam that they pleaded had no corruption going on.

The lost money must be absolutely phenomenal,and I can see they are going to have to build at least one brand new prison to hold all these crooks once this is all summed up.

I hope and pray Yingluck gets 20 years inside for this. She deserves every day of a sentence like that.... I don't give a damn what anyone says... they all knew this was happening. It only takes one to blow the whistle to save his own arse.

Please allow me to make a small correction.

The lost stolen money must be absolutely phenomenal,

• Like 1

At Surin, rice inspectors have been divided into four teams to check 101 granaries containing 8.3 million sacks. On this third day they had not found anything unusual about these stocks.

meanwhile in Isaan all ok so far.

The missing rice is more likely to be in yellow/PDRC supporting mill owners granaries. Lets wait until the final audit.

At Surin, rice inspectors have been divided into four teams to check 101 granaries containing 8.3 million sacks. On this third day they had not found anything unusual about these stocks.

The missing rice is more likely to be in yellow/PDRC supporting mill owners granaries. Lets wait until the final audit.

All OK except that we haven't been paid for our rice yet and the bank has no idea when this will happen. Who cares about the colour,as a farang your political views are not only irrelevant they aren't wanted, it must make the Thai masters from both sides laugh to see the fanatical support that they get from their barely tolerated guests.

All OK except that we haven't been paid for our rice yet and the bank has no idea when this will happen. Who cares about the colour,as a farang your political views are not only irrelevant they aren't wanted, it must make the Thai masters from both sides laugh to see the fanatical support that they get from their barely tolerated guests.

Perhaps you have been paid and your wife has not told you yet. We have been paid for ours - and planted the new crop weeks back now. Thanks for your concerns.

Perhaps you have been paid and your wife has not told you yet. We have been paid for ours - and planted the new crop weeks back now. Thanks for your concerns.

My wife isn't like yours perhaps. We are owed 800,000 Baht with a chit number of 3,800. Nobody in our village has been paid. On top of which my wife needs an operation for severe back pain,she is insured but we have to pay up front at a private clinic ( she wont trust a government hospital with an OP on the spine,understandably ) She has to tolerate the pain,although she gets daily pain killing injections,until the rice money comes through.

There also needs to be a check on just what each farmer has sold to which mill and what they received for that sale.

When they sold the rice they were given a paper from the mill that detailed what grade of rice they had sold, the quantity and the price they were to be paid for that sale.

This amounted to a check for the sale that was to be presented at the BACC as the Govt rep which was handling the payments.

As there was only one bank involved it should have all the records of exactly how much rice each farmer sold and how much they were paid for that rice, therefor all the records of how much rice went into the scheme are in one place and should not be difficult to access.

That will show how much money has actually got to farmers and if they want to take it farther to which farmers.

Among other things it can also be seen if a farmer sold rice more than once in a harvest, as per the already prosecuted miller and farmers in the "In the front door, out the back then in the front again" case.

Each mill should also have corresponding records and records of what was passed on to warehouses after milling which will show the loss from the milling process and what went to which warehouse.

The warehouses should also have corresponding receipts as well as records of what has gone out.

Big paper trail that will take a while to follow. particularly if there is a bit of "the dog ate my homework" involved.

That would be pretty fruitless. They sold paddy which can then yield anything from 75 to 50% depending on moisture and handling.

All they are checking now is actually how much they have left. So far, some thievery. Some way to go to unmask the 3,000,000 tonnes mentioned. Would like to see the reconciled totals they have.

This seems to be going quite slowly. It will surely go beyond a month. Especially when the storeman doesnt show up. Lol

It appears to me that the Yinluck government created an illusion of helping rice farmers, when the true purpose was to rip off the government for billions-of-baht worth of rice.

• Like 2

Everytime there is a populace "scheme" it really means that money is being siphoned off and "leaders" somewhere are making buckets of baht. But it happens the world over. So much for moralism. So few people causing so much suffering.

Ho ho ho...

The noose is tightening and tightening as every day passes and they haven't even scratched the surface yet.

The lost money must be absolutely phenomenal,and I can see they are going to have to build at least one brand new prison to hold all these crooks once this is all summed up.

I hope and pray Yingluck gets 20 years inside for this. She deserves every day of a sentence like that.... I don't give a damn what anyone says... they all knew this was happening. It only takes one to blow the whistle to save his own arse.

Oh how I agree with you. However TIT and sanctions are not readily served. Are they? I doubt many of the guilty will be imprisoned.

I wonder if the rice was ever delivered. Isn't it possible some greedy/unscrupulous farmers might have made a deal re: selling rice - without delivering - for a fraction of baht they would get if there was an actual delivery of goods????? Humn.. Do I think this inconceivable? TIT so no I don't.

If the junta really wants to show sincerity a/b change and reform, jail all guilty parties. Perhaps then we'll see reform along with significant changes in typical Thai way of doing things.

If there is no punishment there is no crime. What we allow we condone.

To be clear, I am not in any way saying farmers have acted unscrupulously.

What you are suggesting is ridiculous. No one is going to give a receipt to farmers for rice not delivered.

I support the farmers. The farmers are the victims here.

You reckon?

Get a bunch of farmers in an area who are staunch political friends and simply right invoiced which they can present for payment.

They keep 75% I get 25%.

Ever seen a pile of paddy rice. Would you know if it was 5000 Mt or 5500 mt.

No one can tell. And then mill away and claim moisture losses. Done.

• Like 2

Ho ho ho...

Oh how I agree with you. However TIT and sanctions are not readily served. Are they? I doubt many of the guilty will be imprisoned.

I wonder if the rice was ever delivered. Isn't it possible some greedy/unscrupulous farmers might have made a deal re: selling rice - without delivering - for a fraction of baht they would get if there was an actual delivery of goods????? Humn.. Do I think this inconceivable? TIT so no I don't.

If the junta really wants to show sincerity a/b change and reform, jail all guilty parties. Perhaps then we'll see reform along with significant changes in typical Thai way of doing things.

If there is no punishment there is no crime. What we allow we condone.

To be clear, I am not in any way saying farmers have acted unscrupulously.

What you are suggesting is ridiculous. No one is going to give a receipt to farmers for rice not delivered.

I support the farmers. The farmers are the victims here.

You reckon?

Get a bunch of farmers in an area who are staunch political friends and simply right invoiced which they can present for payment.

They keep 75% I get 25%.

Ever seen a pile of paddy rice. Would you know if it was 5000 Mt or 5500 mt.

No one can tell. And then mill away and claim moisture losses. Done.

I was hoping someone would provide some details on how its done.

But I might be better at quantity surveys than you suspect ;-)

Can't be much different than potatoes, corn, wheat, sorghum?

Thanks

Edited by ClutchClark

Sorry, but didn't the junta complete payment to everyone.

• Like 1

If I was a rice farmer getting screwed like these farmers were and I had farm loans and I needed to finance next seasons crop, I would have taken as much of what was technically still my rice from any warehouse I could find.

Why is it assumed farmers did not take some of the missing rice stockpiles?

Who could blame them?

And before the accusations fly--I am apolitical and I fully believe much of the rice was fraudulently taken by individuals with no right to it.

Cheers

Why is it assumed farmers did not take some of the missing rice stockpiles?

Because, it the farmer took his rice back, and there was not procedure in place to do that, it would be theft and the warehouse manager or owner or rice mill owner would have reported the theft to the police. The newspapers would have made a big story out of it. Face it. The whole scheme was corrupt in its inception and designed to rape the taxpayer. Please don't try to shift any of the blame to the farmer.

You are 100% off base. I never attempted to shift blame away from the politicians. I also am wise enough to know that as soon as someone puts their hand in the cookie jar that others often follow because thats the only way they can get a cookie before its all stolen.

I understand that english is probably not your first language so no hard feelings.

No,they were to make sure that the co-op bank had enough money to pay the farmers,the bank then has to pay this money out in cash.That takes time of course and you get paid according to the chit number that you have,we have several numbers, the largest amount is to be paid out on chit number 3,800 we have several which are in the 5,000 range. The chit number depends on when you 'sold' your rice.Our village was fairly late with the harvest so we all have large chit numbers. I speak Thai and since we need the money for my wife's OP i spoke to the bank to see if we could get preferential treatment,but no,everybody has a sob story. I was also told that the money is slowly running out and the till may have to be refiled with money from rice stocks being sold which of course will take even longer.

• Like 2

No,they were to make sure that the co-op bank had enough money to pay the farmers,the bank then has to pay this money out in cash.That takes time of course and you get paid according to the chit number that you have,we have several numbers, the largest amount is to be paid out on chit number 3,800 we have several which are in the 5,000 range. The chit number depends on when you 'sold' your rice.Our village was fairly late with the harvest so we all have large chit numbers. I speak Thai and since we need the money for my wife's OP i spoke to the bank to see if we could get preferential treatment,but no,everybody has a sob story. I was also told that the money is slowly running out and the till may have to be refiled with money from rice stocks being sold which of course will take even longer.

Sorry to hear your predicament. This is not the image being put in the press. I hope you get your money asap.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN0ES0NJ20140617?irpc=932

Thailand's military government has paid rice farmers all the arrears of 92.4 billion baht ($2.86 billion) owed under a controversial state purchase scheme, a senior official of the bank that funded the programme said on Tuesday.

Sorry to hear your predicament. This is not the image being put in the press. I hope you get your money asap.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN0ES0NJ20140617?irpc=932

Thailand's military government has paid rice farmers all the arrears of 92.4 billion baht ($2.86 billion) owed under a controversial state purchase scheme, a senior official of the bank that funded the programme said on Tuesday.

Yes we saw that on the news as well,our co-op bank was overwhelmed with phone calls,'where's my money etc' now they don't pick the phone up,they will ring us up when the chit number is due.

Understand 2 private contractors will be charged by the police for the missing rice. Well done and hope more of the missing rice stored by these private contractors will be charged. The Marketing Organisation for Farmers who is tasked to supervised these contractors should also be questioned. The NCPO is correctly targeting their investigation at the storage level where the frauds are and not the rice policy.These private contractors give a bad name to the scheme.