Thai rice scandal: More rice missing from storage

webfact

RICE SCANDAL
More rice missing from storage

The Nation

30237875-01_big.jpg?1404687361160

BANGKOK: -- MILITARY OFFICIALS yesterday continued to inspect state rice stockpiles stored in provincial granaries and again found evidence that large quantities were missing or in poor condition.

The rice inspection follows the junta's order two weeks ago to close all granaries nationwide in a bid to check the size and quality of the stockpiles.

Granaries at Pathum Thani province were among several facing closer checks.

"After finding 90,000 sacks of missing rice at [Pathum Thani] granaries, I have ordered officials to investigate more thoroughly into reasons for the missing rice today," said Deputy National Police Chief Pol General Ake Angsananont.

In Phitchit, officials, after inspecting three rice granaries, found more than 200,000 sacks of rice (or 20,000 tonnes) could not be accounted for. A sack contains 100 kilograms of rice.

Inspection of granaries at Sirichai Intertrade found only 13,123 sacks of 5 per cent broken white rice in storage, compared to 214,196 sacks listed. However, some rice stored at the granaries had been marked for delivery to buyers and the stocks were closed to inspectors. Another check on granaries belonging to KTB Agro found records for 13,986 tonnes of 5 per cent broken white rice from the season crop of 2013/14 stored under the rice-pledging scheme. But inspectors could find only 8,928 tonnes, most of them broken rice.

More inspections

A third granary will be inspected again today after it was found several rows of rice stored there had collapsed.

In Lampun, officials hoped to resume an inspection begun on July 4 after discovering the type of rice in storage was not the same as that listed on the records. The inspection team yesterday was not able to unlock the granary door, as a surveyor did not show up. According to the data, 3,854 tonnes of rice were delivered to the granary during June 13 and again on October 31, 2013.

Inspection of a granary in Uthai Thani, which belongs to Suwan Thanyakij Agriculture Mill, did not uncover anything unusual. It found 290,000 sacks of mainly 5 per cent broken white rice.

However, "after inspecting rice for three days, they found broken stock of an unusual colour which could not be explained", said an official.

At Surin, rice inspectors have been divided into four teams to check 101 granaries containing 8.3 million sacks. On this third day they had not found anything unusual about these stocks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/More-rice-missing-from-storage-30237875.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-07

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ho ho ho...

The noose is tightening and tightening as every day passes and they haven't even scratched the surface yet.

The NACC has already got enough evidence to hang Yingluck and several key PTP ministers, but let's see the exact scale of this scam that they pleaded had no corruption going on.

The lost money must be absolutely phenomenal,and I can see they are going to have to build at least one brand new prison to hold all these crooks once this is all summed up.

I hope and pray Yingluck gets 20 years inside for this. She deserves every day of a sentence like that.... I don't give a damn what anyone says... they all knew this was happening. It only takes one to blow the whistle to save his own arse.

I agree with you fully. Hope Yingluck and her PTP Lackey's Fry...

• Like 2

"After finding 90,000 sacks of missing rice at [Pathum Thani] granaries, I have ordered officials to investigate more thoroughly into reasons for the missing rice today," said Deputy National Police Chief Pol General Ake Angsananont.

So they found missing rice?

Seems odd to me.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Like 1

If I was a rice farmer getting screwed like these farmers were and I had farm loans and I needed to finance next seasons crop, I would have taken as much of what was technically still my rice from any warehouse I could find.

Why is it assumed farmers did not take some of the missing rice stockpiles?

Who could blame them?

And before the accusations fly--I am apolitical and I fully believe much of the rice was fraudulently taken by individuals with no right to it.

Cheers

If the farmers had done that what do you think they were going to do with it ?

They have no way to either store or sell tons of rice, just not possible.

And how were they going to identify their rice after it had been milled and stored with everyone elses in a warehouse ?

• Like 2

Ho ho ho...

The noose is tightening and tightening as every day passes and they haven't even scratched the surface yet.

The NACC has already got enough evidence to hang Yingluck and several key PTP ministers, but let's see the exact scale of this scam that they pleaded had no corruption going on.

The lost money must be absolutely phenomenal,and I can see they are going to have to build at least one brand new prison to hold all these crooks once this is all summed up.

I hope and pray Yingluck gets 20 years inside for this. She deserves every day of a sentence like that.... I don't give a damn what anyone says... they all knew this was happening. It only takes one to blow the whistle to save his own arse.

Oh how I agree with you. However TIT and sanctions are not readily served. Are they? I doubt many of the guilty will be imprisoned.

I wonder if the rice was ever delivered. Isn't it possible some greedy/unscrupulous farmers might have made a deal re: selling rice - without delivering - for a fraction of baht they would get if there was an actual delivery of goods????? Humn.. Do I think this inconceivable? TIT so no I don't.

If the junta really wants to show sincerity a/b change and reform, jail all guilty parties. Perhaps then we'll see reform along with significant changes in typical Thai way of doing things.

If there is no punishment there is no crime. What we allow we condone.

• Like 1

If I was a rice farmer getting screwed like these farmers were and I had farm loans and I needed to finance next seasons crop, I would have taken as much of what was technically still my rice from any warehouse I could find.

Why is it assumed farmers did not take some of the missing rice stockpiles?

Who could blame them?

And before the accusations fly--I am apolitical and I fully believe much of the rice was fraudulently taken by individuals with no right to it.

Cheers

If the farmers had done that what do you think they were going to do with it ?

They have no way to either store or sell tons of rice, just not possible.

And how were they going to identify their rice after it had been milled and stored with everyone elses in a warehouse ?

Robby, I am not saying they took back their own rice. I don't know what means they had to sell it.

All I was saying is I have read rice is missing. I have read people blaming different parties...rightfully so.

I only wondered if farmers might have taken some of it--because in their shoes, I would have. Because in their shoes, I would have dine whatever is necessary to keep up my farm payments and been ready to plant this seasons crop.

Thats all.

Ho ho ho...

Oh how I agree with you. However TIT and sanctions are not readily served. Are they? I doubt many of the guilty will be imprisoned.

I wonder if the rice was ever delivered. Isn't it possible some greedy/unscrupulous farmers might have made a deal re: selling rice - without delivering - for a fraction of baht they would get if there was an actual delivery of goods????? Humn.. Do I think this inconceivable? TIT so no I don't.

If the junta really wants to show sincerity a/b change and reform, jail all guilty parties. Perhaps then we'll see reform along with significant changes in typical Thai way of doing things.

If there is no punishment there is no crime. What we allow we condone.

To be clear, I am not in any way saying farmers have acted unscrupulously.

What you are suggesting is ridiculous. No one is going to give a receipt to farmers for rice not delivered.

I support the farmers. The farmers are the victims here.

Edited by ClutchClark

When this counting will be complete, it will reveal that the rice theft and swindle on a mega

basis probably the biggest in Thailand history and will dwarf all other scandals,

the question is, who is going to watch the rice's stock piles from now on? who can they trust?

IS THERE ANY HONST PERSON LEFT IN THAINLAD NOT TAINETED BY MONEY OR

POWER? IS THERE????

Gosh, it must be really difficult to identify the storage facility owner and prosecute him/ her?

Maybe their T shirt is not red so big problem!!

One can only hope that the culprits are able to be identified, and will be prosecuted, and the full moneys reclaimed, regardless of the colours of their T-shirts ! wink.png

No Double Standards !

• Like 2

There also needs to be a check on just what each farmer has sold to which mill and what they received for that sale.

When they sold the rice they were given a paper from the mill that detailed what grade of rice they had sold, the quantity and the price they were to be paid for that sale.

This amounted to a check for the sale that was to be presented at the BACC as the Govt rep which was handling the payments.

As there was only one bank involved it should have all the records of exactly how much rice each farmer sold and how much they were paid for that rice, therefor all the records of how much rice went into the scheme are in one place and should not be difficult to access.

That will show how much money has actually got to farmers and if they want to take it farther to which farmers.

Among other things it can also be seen if a farmer sold rice more than once in a harvest, as per the already prosecuted miller and farmers in the "In the front door, out the back then in the front again" case.

Each mill should also have corresponding records and records of what was passed on to warehouses after milling which will show the loss from the milling process and what went to which warehouse.

The warehouses should also have corresponding receipts as well as records of what has gone out.

Big paper trail that will take a while to follow. particularly if there is a bit of "the dog ate my homework" involved.

Agreed...and would be real good if they brought in an independent auditing firm for the accounting, like Price Waterhouse Cooper or similar internationally recognized company.

So they found missing rice?

Seems odd to me.

After finding that 90,000 sacks of rice were missing at [Pathum Thani] granaries

There, fixed it for you.

"In Lampun, officials hoped to resume an inspection begun on July 4 after discovering the type of rice in storage was not the same as that listed on the records. The inspection team yesterday was not able to unlock the granary door, as a surveyor did not show up."

That's a pretty lame excuse, they could have used bolt cutters or an angle grinder. Somebody was obviously stalling for time....coffee1.gif