Thai rice scandal: More rice missing from storage

webfact

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a delivery boy come in (empty handed) several months ago and hand my cashier a bill for goods. She paid him and I clearly heard him say in thai "The farang hasn,t a clue what we are up to" ! A very common scam in this country, and isn,t it strange that a certain family,s wealth increased by 300-400% smile.png

What did you do about it?

At Surin, rice inspectors have been divided into four teams to check 101 granaries containing 8.3 million sacks. On this third day they had not found anything unusual about these stocks.

meanwhile in Isaan all ok so far.

The missing rice is more likely to be in yellow/PDRC supporting mill owners granaries. Lets wait until the final audit.

How so? They are only inspecting the government owned facilities at this time and I very much doubt that the PTP would be supporting the yellow (are they still around) shirt or PDRC mill owners and warehouses.

So before YOU cast aspersions let us wait for the final audit result without blaming any shirt colour otherwise people may think you are biased and have double standards.

• Like 1

The rice was either stolen or never brought in. The Thaksin clan might know the truth. The criminals should be punished. Junta has been doing great jobs. Good luck Thailand!

This smacks of a very interesting story published here last approx six months ago, about rice that was removed, (sold) exported and other rice bought back, the middle men, profiting at every level.

If, as suspected, Yingluck and other members of her government were involved, it is a complex and stupendous fraud. Now unravelling.

The rice was either stolen or never brought in. The Thaksin clan might know the truth. The criminals should be punished. Junta has been doing great jobs. Good luck Thailand!

This smacks of a very interesting story published here last approx six months ago, about rice that was removed, (sold) exported and other rice bought back, the middle men, profiting at every level.

If, as suspected, Yingluck and other members of her government were involved, it is a complex and stupendous fraud. Now unravelling.

Sounds like the EU where lorry loads of meat are driven all over Europe to collect the subsidies as they pass through each boarder.

So cronies of Mr. T got paid without producing / selling rice in order to scam Government, sounds great! New method of corruption

Where is your proof that Taksin had anything to do with this scam it could easily have been Suthep and his thugs.Stop blaming the reds.

This must be the joke of the year! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Maybe you don't understand what plernwhale meant. He meant that they were missing rice stock found in Nakorn Si Thammarat, province of the Dem stronghole and home to Suthep. Think he is right to say that missing rice and could be crime in all red and yellow territories.

At Surin, rice inspectors have been divided into four teams to check 101 granaries containing 8.3 million sacks. On this third day they had not found anything unusual about these stocks.

meanwhile in Isaan all ok so far.

The missing rice is more likely to be in yellow/PDRC supporting mill owners granaries. Lets wait until the final audit.

All OK except that we haven't been paid for our rice yet and the bank has no idea when this will happen. Who cares about the colour,as a farang your political views are not only irrelevant they aren't wanted, it must make the Thai masters from both sides laugh to see the fanatical support that they get from their barely tolerated guests.

Sorry, but didn't the junta complete payment to everyone.

They completed the payments to farmers..... not to millers...

If I was a rice farmer getting screwed like these farmers were and I had farm loans and I needed to finance next seasons crop, I would have taken as much of what was technically still my rice from any warehouse I could find.

Why is it assumed farmers did not take some of the missing rice stockpiles?

Who could blame them?

And before the accusations fly--I am apolitical and I fully believe much of the rice was fraudulently taken by individuals with no right to it.

Cheers

If the farmers had done that what do you think they were going to do with it ?

They have no way to either store or sell tons of rice, just not possible.

And how were they going to identify their rice after it had been milled and stored with everyone elses in a warehouse ?

Robby, I am not saying they took back their own rice. I don't know what means they had to sell it.

All I was saying is I have read rice is missing. I have read people blaming different parties...rightfully so.

I only wondered if farmers might have taken some of it--because in their shoes, I would have. Because in their shoes, I would have dine whatever is necessary to keep up my farm payments and been ready to plant this seasons crop.

Thats all.

In my opinion, in most of the "cases" of missing rice - it was never delivered, just receipted as delivered so "someone" could claim payment at a later stage from the good old PTP scam system - nudge, nudge - wink wink.

Hence the need for PTP wanting to borrow 2 trillion bht for a suspect rail project - a lot of the money was needed to cover the rice scam and could have been easily syphoned off.

• Like 1

When this counting will be complete, it will reveal that the rice theft and swindle on a mega

basis probably the biggest in Thailand history and will dwarf all other scandals,

the question is, who is going to watch the rice's stock piles from now on? who can they trust?

IS THERE ANY HONST PERSON LEFT IN THAINLAD NOT TAINETED BY MONEY OR

POWER? IS THERE????

Yep me, I would be happy to settle for a negotiated and contracted 1% of the value of the stored rice plus on-costs for security staff hire and associated infrastructure to control and secure the remaining stock.

So cronies of Mr. T got paid without producing / selling rice in order to scam Government, sounds great! New method of corruption

Where is your proof that Taksin had anything to do with this scam it could easily have been Suthep and his thugs.Stop blaming the reds.

Maybe you don't understand what plernwhale meant. He meant that they were missing rice stock found in Nakorn Si Thammarat, province of the Dem stronghole and home to Suthep. Think he is right to say that missing rice and could be crime in all red and yellow territories.

Was it not an investigaton of ex. government rice storages.

I had a delivery boy come in (empty handed) several months ago and hand my cashier a bill for goods. She paid him and I clearly heard him say in thai "The farang hasn,t a clue what we are up to" ! A very common scam in this country, and isn,t it strange that a certain family,s wealth increased by 300-400% smile.png

What did you do about it?

Probably nothing as it's more than likely not true - just more Thai bashing.

• Like 1

If I was a rice farmer getting screwed like these farmers were and I had farm loans and I needed to finance next seasons crop, I would have taken as much of what was technically still my rice from any warehouse I could find.

Who could blame them?

And before the accusations fly--I am apolitical and I fully believe much of the rice was fraudulently taken by individuals with no right to it.

Cheers

Because, it the farmer took his rice back, and there was not procedure in place to do that, it would be theft and the warehouse manager or owner or rice mill owner would have reported the theft to the police. The newspapers would have made a big story out of it. Face it. The whole scheme was corrupt in its inception and designed to rape the taxpayer. Please don't try to shift any of the blame to the farmer.

I don't think ClutchClark is trying to shift the blame only pointing out how they would feel in the same position. I don't know if it would be possible to steal the rice back or if it would be theft if they hadn't been paid for it but once the warehouse owners were getting paid the money they may not have been too worried about a bit of rice going missing. It doesn't look as if they expected too close a scrutiny over their rice stocks so I doubt security was too hot.

I agree the farmers are the victims but you can't assume that everyone of them is honest or that all millers or warehouse owners are dishonest. I remember seeing a news item about some farmers boasting how they defrauded the Dems scheme.

• Like 2

??? no farmer lost anything, they got their money, so the persons who is are the Thai society who loose money for the missing rice.

of course their will be farmers who got more money than delivered rice, this scams exist every where where goverment pay out subsidies,

in EU, USA or where ever.

do you really think Thaksin went with some trucks to a warehouse and stole rice? the only way to do it is to make fictive rice deals and use people for transaction. this is easy to find out. for sure there is no rice missing, what never been there can not be missing.

??? no farmer lost anything, they got their money, so the persons who is are the Thai society who loose money for the missing rice.

of course their will be farmers who got more money than delivered rice, this scams exist every where where goverment pay out subsidies,

in EU, USA or where ever.

do you really think Thaksin went with some trucks to a warehouse and stole rice? the only way to do it is to make fictive rice deals and use people for transaction. this is easy to find out. for sure there is no rice missing, what never been there can not be missing.

Taxpayers lost. Of which in terms of personal tax payers, not very many.

Coruption is a way of life to many in Thailand and is seen as their right.I doubt it is covered up very well as nearly all levels are involved and every scheme,contractor and goverment office will be involved to some degree even if is just looking the other way to others misdeeds.This is a bit of a first that extensive investigations are going on.Still not totally convinced that anything will really change long term,but at least it must be worrying more than a few and making them at least think about their actions.

You could not write a better script for a carry on film, bet when they have checked a warehouse, lorries move in and transport it to warehouses not yet inspected.

with Sid James playing the mastermind at his palace in Dubai.

Was it not an investigaton of ex. government rice storages.

Yes, agreed "missing rice ...could be crime in all red and yellow territories" . Stock checks apparently are of government storage depots only. Can't see how you can imagine that Suthep can be involved in rice missing, apart from your obvious red leanings.

290000 bags missing and it's only day 4 of the audit.....gonna be some twitching sphincters this week!

Interesting to see how people only read what they want to. Read again and you will see that they aren't certain if the 200 000 bags are really missing as there are stocks that was sold. Lets wait for the audit to be completed in full and then see how much damage have been done and who are guilty of what. Until then let the people do their job.

They are certain they are missing.. read again. Plus there is even more missing in other locations.

so anyone that say that one should wait for all the facts to be gathered are a red shirt? If such a person should even suggest that a commentator should look at the facts presented in the article he gets slammed by colour blinded, hate filled people. The junta have instructed that everyone should strive for reconciliation, please listen to them. When the facts come in that the fraud and theft was commited by greedy businessmen and farmers, whose head will be hanged in shame?

Its funny that the red cheerleaders still try to save face. It was only yesterday I got attacked on the forum for stating that much more would surface. It is as the anti goverment supporters here on Thaivisa always have said. There was theft and corruption int he program.

YL and her minions said there was none she chaired it she did not watch careful enough. She is responsible, this would never have come to light if Taksin had not pushed for his amnesty, as that was the catalyst to start it all.

So in a way its him putting a noose around her neck. Only the 3rd or 4rd day of a month long program to check the rice.. once they are done the true damage will come to light.

I posted it before but its not only a difference in quantity that can cost them, how about registering rice that is low grade for high grade. No difference in quantity but quality and price a lot. That will take a bit longer to determine and they have already found this.

I think once the results are all done all those redshirts defending the program here on Thaivisa should apologize and tell people how stupid they were for supporting the program. (fat chance of that)

I learned quickly not to trust YL after i got flooded while she kept telling people there was no risk. Her whole administration is incompetent to the extreme.

Can you imagine that all of this would have stayed hidden if not for the army, I think maybe all these countries condemning the coup should also be bowing their head in shame.

It's a pity that there is no way to speed up the inspections, as those involved in what is now obviously a massive fraud have a lot of time to cover their tracks and flee the scene.

Members of the Yingluck government is not allowed to leave Thailand.

• Like 1

Suthep is from Surat Thani, not Nakhon Si Thammarat.

Nattawut Saikua, on the other hand.....

Would that be the Nattawut of Nattawut transport the company that was reported to be carting truck loads of rice around to unspecified destinations ?

Or the Nattawut who threatened to turn BKK into a sea of flame and would take full responsibility, then was given a cabinet position with the commerce ministry which was in charge of the rice pledging scheme ?

Or are both the same person ?

Ho ho ho...

The noose is tightening and tightening as every day passes and they haven't even scratched the surface yet.

The NACC has already got enough evidence to hang Yingluck and several key PTP ministers, but let's see the exact scale of this scam that they pleaded had no corruption going on.

The lost money must be absolutely phenomenal,and I can see they are going to have to build at least one brand new prison to hold all these crooks once this is all summed up.

I hope and pray Yingluck gets 20 years inside for this. She deserves every day of a sentence like that.... I don't give a damn what anyone says... they all knew this was happening. It only takes one to blow the whistle to save his own arse.

A brand new prison? I certainly hope not.

• Like 1