Why are THAIS totally oblivious to barking dogs?

gp2002

Thais are used to background noise from the moment they are borned into this world. They will not complain , I can put my stereo on full volume at night and they will still sleep like babies. So there's nothing you can do about it except move to a different locaton.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had the same thing, 12 dogs living in houses either side or opposite. Many of the non dog owners have complained with no joy. very very annoying to get woken every morning and woken most nights. fantasies of poisoning dogs but have decided doing the owners would be fairer. moving out soon to a quite Soi I hope. May get a dog whistle to drive them mad for the last month. glad non of them have kids as they can't even control a dog.

Dogs will bark at other dogs...

You have dogs....

Your neighbour has dogs.....

And yet you complain.....

My dog is usually in the house with me during the day when I'm home and 100% in the house when I go out or overnight......

They never see my dog because they live across the street to the left (about 10 o'clock)......

They don't bark at my dog.....

When my dog barks I get it to stop....

Thanks for the words of wisdom

You have dogs....

My dog is usually in the house with me during the day when I'm home and 100% in the house when I go out or overnight......

They never see my dog because they live across the street to the left (about 10 o'clock)......

Don't mean to be picky but I have moved house over neighbour's dogs!

And neighbour's neighbour's dogs. etc etc.

Even had fighting cockerels four or five houses away... they had dogs too! :D

I have lost my love for them and now have a cat!

You have dogs....

Even had fighting cockerels four or five houses away... they had dogs too! biggrin.png

Everybody says that the person who is bothered (me in this case) should move to a new location. Maybe it's not that simple for the person to pick up everything and move.

And besides, WHY should the person have to move? Why can't these ignorant people get it through their heads that they are causing a disturbance?

Not read any other reply yet, but hope it was the lady who BLEW YOU AWAY, and not the guy.

Seriously,

Thais seem to be able to cope with noise more than non thais,and nodoubt most of the expat community have some problems with noise in Thailand, i do.

However, one must learnt to cope, ear plugs, increase audio of tv etc etc

I can assure you Thais are not oblivious to barking dogs and in some cases are just as pissed off about it as you.

Your problem was pointing out the fact you have a problem with the dogs to the owner.

You have now left yourself open to having fingers pointed at you.

The Thais will say nothing that will draw attention to them, they will take care of the problem Thai style, and no one will be any the wiser as to who did what.

Interesting. A bit cryptic, but thoughtful. I think most Thais do not even hear noise. And their ability to realize that the noise they create is bothersome to others is almost non-existent. Bringing it to their attention should solve the problem, but rarely does. Is there a solution to this? I thing when considering moving into a new house, or apartment, you have to take at least one day, and one evening to scout the area, and see what the noise issues are. Many areas are very noisy. Once you are in there, not much you can do. So, avoid the noisy sois. Barking dogs and roosters are a boil on the face of this country.

• Like 2

Me too have the same problem but have to say not all the time so much now.

I don't think it has anything to do with the joke (not really a joke) I made with my wife saying the three dogs across the road are really nice could I take them on holiday to Vietnam.

She must have told em. biggrin.png

I have a friend who lived next door (not in Thailand) to an owner of a dog that would bark all day long. The neighbor worked a night shift and slept during the day. My friend recorded the dog barking and put loud speakers up in his windows facing the neighbor's bedroom and played the recording of the neighbor's dog during the day. The neighbor was at my friend's door when he came home from work complaining about my friend's dog. My friend told him that he didn't have a dog - that it was his (the neighbor's dog). Problem solved. Wish it could be so easy here.

Wierd story:

...The neighbor had a dog that barked all day.

...The neighbor slept all day.

Why didn't his barking dog disturb him, yet the recording did?

?

I dont get it.

It is just not true that Thais are not bothered about barking dogs- they are just very resistant to complaining about it for fear of 'fighting with neighbour'. There are three options:

Move

Message put in post box

poison dog, artificial sweetener in chewing gum the easiest option here.

Yes we all KNOW it's the owners and not the dogs but you can't talk to the dogs and you can't poison the owners! Dogs, especially soi ones are a huge problem in Thailand. i bought one of those ultrasonic silencers, works on the dog next door but the one across the road barks even more, I don't think he will be around long. Thais will leave their dogs out in the yard as 'guard' dogs when they are out all day, even when they have nothing worth stealing, then are amazed when somebody complains or takes action against constant yapping. If they will not do anything about it then terminate it, cruel but then you probably eat meat everyday anyway so it's just one more animal death.

Edited by jacky54

I have a friend who lived next door (not in Thailand) to an owner of a dog that would bark all day long. The neighbor worked a night shift and slept during the day. My friend recorded the dog barking and put loud speakers up in his windows facing the neighbor's bedroom and played the recording of the neighbor's dog during the day. The neighbor was at my friend's door when he came home from work complaining about my friend's dog. My friend told him that he didn't have a dog - that it was his (the neighbor's dog). Problem solved. Wish it could be so easy here.

Wierd story:

...The neighbor had a dog that barked all day.

...The neighbor slept all day.

Why didn't his barking dog disturb him, yet the recording did?

?

I dont get it.

Sorry for the confusion. The neighbor's dog barked all night while the neighbor was at work (he worked a night-shift). My friend, who works days and was trying to sleep at night, recorded the dog barking one night, then played the recording during the day through speakers pointed at the neighbors bedroom while the night-shift working neighbor was trying to sleep.

must be brain dead not to notice ,or they feel they are an early warning system of burglars around

they are surrounded by so much noise pollution its not a problem .the wats broadcast the rollcall of the dead for the year at full volume at 7 in the morning

Edited by 3NUMBAS

must be brain dead not to notice ,or they feel they are an early warning system of burglars around

they are surrounded by so much noise pollution its not a problem .the wats broadcast the rollcall of the dead for the year at full volume at 7 in the morning

Well.....they bark so much that even if they barked while someone was breaking in, nobody would pay attention.

Thais can hear a 10 baht coin hit the ground from 100 yards away, but they can't hear three barking dogs 30 feet away. Go figure.

Even had fighting cockerels four or five houses away... they had dogs too! biggrin.png

Everybody says that the person who is bothered (me in this case) should move to a new location. Maybe it's not that simple for the person to pick up everything and move.

And besides, WHY should the person have to move? Why can't these ignorant people get it through their heads that they are causing a disturbance?

I moved because the dog situation had detrimentally affected relations with neighbours, and it obviously wasn't going to get better.

I worried I might over-react one day too.

Of course, it can be difficult to relocate, but if the offending neighbours aren't going to move, and if they are as ignorant as you suggest, likely nothing will make them do things differently. They may even get some satisfaction out of disturbing you.... that grumpy neighbour!

I can assure you Thais are not oblivious to barking dogs and in some cases are just as pissed off about it as you.

Your problem was pointing out the fact you have a problem with the dogs to the owner.

The Thais will say nothing that will draw attention to them, they will take care of the problem Thai style, and no one will be any the wiser as to who did what.

Interesting. A bit cryptic, but thoughtful. I think most Thais do not even hear noise. And their ability to realize that the noise they create is bothersome to others is almost non-existent. Bringing it to their attention should solve the problem, but rarely does. Is there a solution to this? I thing when considering moving into a new house, or apartment, you have to take at least one day, and one evening to scout the area, and see what the noise issues are. Many areas are very noisy. Once you are in there, not much you can do. So, avoid the noisy sois. Barking dogs and roosters are a boil on the face of this country.

Not meant to be cryptic, I will spell it out for you.

A couple of years ago we had the same proble where I live, other Thais were pissed off about it, but would do nothing.

They asked me if the noise bothered me, I replied, what noise I dont hear anything.

I assumed given time someone would get pissed off enough to do something.

My wife told me we are going off to Chan this weekend, when we get back on Monday there will be no more problem.

Wife made a phone call and things were sorted, Thai style.

I hadnt made any complaints, so no one could point a finger at me, wasnt even there when these mutts were sorted out, so couldnt be accused of anything.

Thats what I mean about not drawing attention to yourself, just do it and say nothing.

I have seen cars that have had windscreens broken because of parking problems, again no one say anything.

• Like 1

Not meant to be cryptic, I will spell it out for you.

A couple of years ago we had the same proble where I live, other Thais were pissed off about it, but would do nothing.

They asked me if the noise bothered me, I replied, what noise I dont hear anything.

I assumed given time someone would get pissed off enough to do something.

My wife told me we are going off to Chan this weekend, when we get back on Monday there will be no more problem.

Wife made a phone call and things were sorted, Thai style.

I hadnt made any complaints, so no one could point a finger at me, wasnt even there when these mutts were sorted out, so couldnt be accused of anything.

Thats what I mean about not drawing attention to yourself, just do it and say nothing.

I have seen cars that have had windscreens broken because of parking problems, again no one say anything.

Smart. Very smart. Thanks for the good advice.

Spidermike007

Thais are oblivious to dogs barking, huh? I wish.

I've got two 80kg imported "monsters", and even though their barking just seems somewhat loud to me, they seem to sound very upsetting/threatening to the locals. I guess if you don't feel physically threatened by a dog, then the barking is easier to tune out too.

They're out in the yard daytime (they're not very active in the heat) with bark collars on and bark a few times a day (briefly) when people come close to the fence. Nights they spend in an enclosure by the side of the house and never alert us without reason. They are completely oblivious to local dogs barking and never join the chorus.

I'm sorry...you have mistaken your neighbors for someone who cares about what you think...you have actually made their day my complaining...now as the dogs bark...they sit in their home and laugh at the irritation it is causing you...get use to it...get over it...or move...this is Thailand...

They are born listening to dogs bark 24/7...are immune to the sound...and having a great ole time at your expense...

• Like 1

Two comments from my years in Indonesia:

The Dutch had a saying "East Indian Deafness" meaning that the locals could shut out what they didn't want to hear.

A neighbour of mine ex UK lived in a 3-storey house in South Sulawesi. His neighbours had a 2-storey house and some barking dobermans which were let out each evening. They were noisy critters, right through the night.

My mate started gently, by dropping empty beer cans onto their roof. No effect. Next he added stones to the cans and rolled them down. Still no effect. He gradually built up the noise level each night, then decided on coconuts.

The first few hit the roof rather noisily, and they thundered down the tiles.

Within minutes, the owners called the dogs inside. Message received! whistling.gif

I kind of like the idea of poison. i know it is cruel but if you are serious about it - realizing you are putting any "innocent" puppies at risk too, and you risk getting caught. But my girlfriend would not let me do this. I have kicked a few of them in the head as they try to bite my feet and it has inhibited them some. One other thing that we did to some effect was soap: I take just a small squirt bottle of dish soap, dilute it with some water and my girfriend would try to hit them in the face as they attacked. Hey I know it is cruel - but it is only soap and it doesn't cause blindness - and it is less harmful than getting hit by a car or bike. I think there is a shock effect - I mean the dogs are surprised that a person on a bike can do something to them and it breaks up their focus. So they tend to wait until I pass and maybe run behind barking, but this is less annoying than getting bitten. Or they pass on me me and wait for the next bike - maybe with you riding it O, and stones: you don't even have to hit them. If your aim is poor when you take your hand of the throttle but the stones land anywhere near them it makes them pause to consider. Next time they hear your engine they may run to watch you go by and wait to see what you will do.

You can go to the polis station and report that it is noise after midnight record on videcamera as proof. That vill take care of the problem. In the village here in korat some people had dogs that run on the street but they are all dead because somebody poison them so no more dogs on the street now.

If you get a red police box on your house 500 baht per month the police will do anything to help you .because they want money and they no if they don’t help money stops.

There are 3 dogs that run out of their compound at full speed at my passing motorbike. I now try to time my passing their spot -- where there is a 90 degree bend in the road -- so that there will be a large truck also passing by that will run over them. Only close calls so far.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

With the television on from birth, loud music, loud parties, is it any wonder they ignore the barking dogs?

Very frustrating for many of us especially when the owners themselves do not seem to care. And not a lot we can do about it, sadly.

get yer 3500 baht a month maid to cook n eat them for him