Thai Immigration Bureau to blacklist all overstayers of more than 90 days

The anomaly here is the 5 year ban

(for those that are caught) which is triggered by as little as a one day overstay. As Jing pointed out there are a number of ways in which perfectly innocent individuals could be caught out .

Needs to be a certain amount of flexibility allowed in these cases or at least a genuine appeal process.

Jing?

Were you riding on the baht bus of knowledge this evening?

• Like 1

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I overstay one day but unfortunately I have been caught by a control, I can be banned for 5 years. But if I overstay 89 days and I am lucky to not been caught and I just go to surrender, I can just pay 20000THB of fines, no bans, I can back to the kingdom the following day.
If I overstay 90 days and I go to surrender, I will be banned for 4x the time I overstayed.But if I overstay 3 years and I go to surrender, I will be banned 1.66x the time I overstayed only.
But the most interesting is: if I overstay more than 10 years but I will never been caught, it's better to risk and/or wait to be caught and banned "just" for 10 years, because if you go to surrender you are banned for life (of course it also depends how old and wealthy you are:)

It looks like an outrage to logic, more than a harsh rule.

Or, maybe more likely, a scenario for starting a classic and typical thai negotiation :)

• Like 1

The number of posts by people revelling in other's misfortune speaks to the collective (lack of) mental and emotional health of the usual suspects, and the many new ones who seem to have been drawn out of the woodwork by this turn of events. It is frankly disgusting.

And to those comparing the rules and their administration in Thailand to those in the US, UK, etc., the difference is a major one: due process.

In the US, at least, people who are blacklisted will have had their day in court; likewise, deportees will have been heard by competent, if not sympathetic, officers of the court. No individual will be blacklisted by the front line thugs at Customs and Border Patrol...

Other differences are too numerous to mention, but include no reporting once a permission to stay has been granted (green card), etc.

Contrast this with the largely de facto power of the average farang-despising immigration officer to exercise caprice in handing out red stamps in your passport. Consider also that it is largely a crap-shoot as to whether you encounter one of those farang-haters, or one who is merely jealous, or one who didn't get laid the previous evening, etc, etc, etc., or one of the relatively professional and competent ones who try to administer the law fairly.

One suspects that many of the more strident advocates of the "have your ducks in a row, and no harm shall befall thee" myth have their uncomplicated and repeatable routine worked out at one of the more quaint local offices where such professional and farang-friendly officers ply their careers. Chaeng Wattana, and Suan Plu before it, are/were never so predictable. Nor is it predictable as to what your reception, and subsequent treatment will be like if you move to a new city or province.

Having lived in Bangkok for quite a few years, and then moved to Nong Khai, I can attest to the utter bull$hit you may have to abide if you move somewhere, in foolish regard only to the pleasantness of the place, and ignorantly trust that you will deal with a reasonable and professional immigration staff. Fortunately, until about 2011, the price was only to buy a bag of cookies from the chubby immigration lady, and then you were stamped in with a smile...

And it has only gotten worse. The rules used to be subject to a bit of softening at the sight of a purple note; it was a necessarily unwritten rule, but if everyone was on the same page, it was done gracefully, and everyone went home satisfied and relatively happy. Now, knuckleheads insist on bringing their Western anti-graft sensibilities with them, and foreign governments impose theirs from without, engendering even more anti-foreign sentiment among those whose rice bowls have been broken.

So, it's no wonder that Pol Col Somchai doesn't smile much, or exchange pleasantries with Billy-Bob with his iPad and new pickup in the lot as he has to stamp the guy in for another 90 days or one year. The officer can no longer extort enough to show the trappings necessary to actually get to home plate with the young thing of his fancy...

So, it's not really a lack of respect for the "rules", whatever they may ACTUALLY be, it's the lack of consistency, and lack of recourse that make it incomparable to the Western countries so popular in the posts of the schadenfreudists.

Some Jingthing character has been fighting the wishful thinking and outright lunacy of the deniers throughout this thread. One wonders: why does he bother? Anyone who can not parse the clear and obvious meaning of the statement:

"Overstay for less than 1 year > Forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 5 years."

is not worth arguing with.

Personally, although it was heartbreaking to do so, I have left Thailand, not so much owing to the vagaries of my own ability to stay, but due to outright abuse of my poor Filipino wife, who was subject to untoward comments from immigrations staff, in Nong Khai, and in Bangkok, and even in Vientiane. It was the correct decision, but not a happy one.

In 30+ years, this is the farthest I have seen the pendulum swing, and I don't dare hope to live long enough to see it return to the point where foreigners can retire with any sense of security or fairness. Thailand is failing, and as Thais will do, will blame everyone but themselves until the bottom is hit. We're easy targets these days, and no matter the parachute, the ground is coming up fast...

This is a very thoughtful comment, unlike many. And you seem to be savvy about the way things have worked in the past, and how that is changing.

I have renewed Thailand as a vacation destination. I thought at onetime long ago I wanted to live there permanently. But Thailand is a crazy-maker. So for now on, just a vacation spot.

I must disagree with your comment about the US. In addition to the long-term problem of border security, there are something close to 80,000 Guatemalan CHILDREN that have arrived here recently. ICE has there hands full with that.

http://www.trust.org/item/20140701164629-qrlgc/?source=fiOtherNews3

If I overstay one day but unfortunately I have been caught by a control, I can be banned for 5 years. But if I overstay 89 days and I am lucky to not been caught and I just go to surrender, I can just pay 20000THB of fines, no bans, I can back to the kingdom the following day.

If I overstay 90 days and I go to surrender, I will be banned for 4x the time I overstayed.But if I overstay 3 years and I go to surrender, I will be banned 1.66x the time I overstayed only.

But the most interesting is: if I overstay more than 10 years but I will never been caught, it's better to risk and/or wait to be caught and banned "just" for 10 years, because if you go to surrender you are banned for life (of course it also depends how old and wealthy you are:)

It looks like an outrage to logic, more than a harsh rule.

Or, maybe more likely, a scenario for starting a classic and typical thai negotiation smile.png

Or you could instead of doing all that math use your time read how to get a visa whistling.gif

Pretty lenient I think.

If you overstay in the EU/US then chances are you aren't ever going to be allowed back in.

I am so, sick and tired, of hearing this false statement repeated, over and over here about the EU. It is simply not true. Yes, technically you're not supposed to, but in Europe, they REALLY DON'T CARE, even for very long periods of time, and there is no fine. I lived in Berlin for a year and wasn't supposed to. I lived in Paris for 2 years, and wasn't supposed to. And I could name more and more over decades, and even traveled in and out regularly while doing so. And, guess which countries all welcomed me back immediately after. If you are a decent and polite person when you meet an official in the EU, and especially as an American, they JUST DON'T CARE. I'm sorry because I'm sure you will be quite upset to see yourself corrected. But you are wrong here, so please...stop repeating something that isn't accurate, at all.

This is part of the expat mythology - that Thailand has an easy system and everywhere else is difficult. It's total bullshit.

Really? A US citizen can jump on a plane anytime they want and come to Thailand, Can a Thai do that for the USA? No...Took allot of work and time to get a visa for my wife to the USA. So tell me where the myth is? I have been able to live and work in Thailand for almost 20 years without any real issues. I get my visa easily every year. Granted I have a good company and good job and I know allot of teachers struggle to get visas, but it's not the teachers fault it the Thai company that hires them. This should stop all of that and make it much better for teachers and other people that are working and having a problem getting the paper work to get a visa.

Have a look at that visa your wife has. You should notice it has a validity of 10 years. Six months per entry - extensions six months. Also, even if she overstayed - even for 20 years - she would not be deported unless convicted of a felony.

She wouldn't need to do that however, since as the spouse of a US citizen she can apply for a green card during any of her visits to the US. There is no language requirement. She would not need to be on nonimmigrant work visas after 20 years, unlike you living in Thailand.

Even if she doesn't, even if she overstayed, she can own anything a US citizen can. Property in her own name, etc.

ICE is right now in the process of reuniting illegal immigrants with their families, mostly in California at taxpayer expense, even if those relatives are themselves illegal immigrants. This in contrast to the Rohingya which are towed out to sea and left to die.

In every single regard, with the sole exception that Thailand is not on the Visa waiver program, US Immigration is more lenient than their Thai counterparts.

Edit: I assumed your wife has a tourist visa.

Edited by BudRight
  • Like 1

I'm not really that interested in the bickering contest here, but am curious if the 20k limit will still be in place after the changes. That would be the minimum of tea money to be handed out if the BIB knock on one's shoulder.

Still not a big deal, but if they start following logic, next thing is to limit tourist visas so one doesn't become tax resident in Thailand. Meaning no more than 6 months per year.

I'm not really that interested in the bickering contest here, but am curious if the 20k limit will still be in place after the changes. That would be the minimum of tea money to be handed out if the BIB knock on one's shoulder.

Still not a big deal, but if they start following logic, next thing is to limit tourist visas so one doesn't become tax resident in Thailand. Meaning no more than 6 months per year.

That isn't tea money. It is a fine. Request a receipt from the officer as you leave. Shouldn't be a problem. I would advise you to ask politely.

Not sure what your last sentence is about.

It's not a 20K baht fine anymore. There are other consequences from the sounds of it

This ain't Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Nor the Wild West.

Hope your situation works out for you. Best of luck!

I was just wondering, that if the Immigration Somchai sees your nice pickup truck, probably knows of your 50" 4K television at your very nice house and all other farang belongings (which he does not have and cannot afford), then some day he just refuses your under the table extention just to force you either on a true visa run or on overstay. Whilst on overstay, you are suddenly picked up by the BIB for some petty reason, and it then happens that Somchai and some of his less reputable friends have 5 years of time to socialize and make your belongings in Thailand disappear.

Thus, I would not play around with Immigration when the new rules come to effect.

I think it was obvious this was going to happen, a few people that I know who are breaking the rules already had decided to just overstay and pay the 20k on exit since the crackdown was announced - this will have them think twice, I'm also surprised that they didn't include a prison term for those on lengthy overstay on top of the blacklist - I think Thailand is going to be missing a few people before August

Wow I missed this thread completely. Some rather unpleasant comments here, some very judicial and well considered ones also. I too am one of the persons that misread his visa renewal date and had to get a new O visa in Vientiane. I tried first to go to Phnom Penh,the friendly border guard told me I would be better off going to Vientiane. He also called Kap Choeng and gave them a rollicking for giving me a visa renewal stamp that was almost unreadable. So now I get banned for one year for that? That would cause a major disruption for the family here and some heart break. As mentioned above, there appears as yet to be no appeals procedure in place, that would cause loss of face to the immigration police of course...

• Like 1

That isn't tea money. It is a fine. Request a receipt from the officer as you leave. Shouldn't be a problem. I would advise you to ask politely.

Not sure what your last sentence is about.

It's not a 20K baht fine anymore. There are other consequences from the sounds of it

This ain't Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Nor the Wild West.

Hope your situation works out for you. Best of luck!

My situation is on fifth consecutive yearly extension based on marriage, working fine for me, thanks.

What I was referring to is what's likely to happen if an overstayer is caught by the police here. Which is most likely to happen upon being stopped while in transit or being snitched by some one.

The 6m/y is my speculation on what's coming next. It's the obvious control method to force longstays to get a non-imm status, which they won't get without correct paperwork.

And that means the non-imm's are going to be scrutinized next, most likely starting with EDs.

The immigration is sending a clear message: get legit or get out.

• Like 1

Unfortunate timing for UK citizens that applied for passport renewal by post, with the passport crisis back home. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27813438

By the time the backlog is cleared I could be on >90 days overstay but I don't suppose Thai immigration will make any exceptions. Will just make my exit when my rent contract is up and appeal the blacklist from Phillipines/Vietnam coffee1.gif

Lets be honest, who overstays?...

So

1. People who have no money to do visa runs

2. People who are too lazy to do visa runs

3. People who can not afford proper visa

4. People who do not qualify for visa.

and

5 - People with bad eyesight who misread the visa expiry date (that was me....)

6- and me

• Like 1

Unfortunate timing for UK citizens that applied for passport renewal by post, with the passport crisis back home. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27813438

By the time the backlog is cleared I could be on >90 days overstay but I don't suppose Thai immigration will make any exceptions. Will just make my exit when my rent contract is up and appeal the blacklist from Phillipines/Vietnam coffee1.gif

Don't be too concerned about that.

There are many reassuring farangs who monitor TVF, and have been around the block a few times. They have immaculate credentials, some of them are lawyers and ED visa vendors. Many are decorated war veterans, or worked for Western intelligence agencies. I know of a few that have multiple decorations from the Royal family and esteemed international organizations.

Watch your TVF mailbox. They will be with you shortly.

Depressing to see so many people saying "great to see life getting harder for someone other than me"

What people forget is, there are no good immigration bureaucracies in the world. The western ones mostly suck too. Immigrants are some of the most vulnerable people in the world. Thousands of people fall through the cracks, can't get visas, get separated from their loved ones, etc. because of inflexible bureaucracies.

For a long time one of the attractions of Thailand was that it was easy to come and go. I don't promote overstaying, but if they want to clean up corruption and enforce the law, how about starting with corrupt cops, or hi-so Thais who literally get away with murder? Because foreigners are an easy target that have no rights and no political representation.

If you're cheering on these changes that's what you're supporting -- selective law enforcement that goes after the easy targets.

Who knows where this stops, my concern is that it will continue to a point where living legally in Thailand gets too hard, and then that's one less great place in the world where I can live.

Where are they making it harder? They are making the fines for breaking the laws(overstaying)stronger, that's all. So are you upset because you are living here without a visa and overstaying? I followed the rules as with many others that live here have followed the rules.

I assume you don't support immigrants in your country staying in your country illegally? Same here, Thailand is cracking down on people that are living here illegally. It's still easy to come to Thailand, they still have the visa exempt stamp, you can still get a tourist visa along with B & O visa's.

There are many options to get a visa.

Also I guess you have not seen that the Junta is working on cracking down on corruption, they haven't just started with immigrants. They went after the taxi mafia, threw out the proposal for the airport expansion until it is more transparent. They are working on stopping corruption in politics etc.

paid the farmers, housekeeping in the Police Stations and more..

My thoughts and sympathies for all those individuals and families caught up in this.

I've never been to Thailand. It a place I keep on the radar to motivate me at work in the west with a dream that someday I might be able to bring enough wealth to the country and form a more natural life somewhere in the countryside.

Well done from a military perspective. This is clear leadership and this sends a very strong signal - that Thailand isn't the laid back holiday destination outsiders view it as. This plays into the military coup holiday makers have heard in the news and just exagerates it even more. You are not welcome is the message I'm getting here. I don't like to take holidays to places like this.

No matter what country this kind of thing happens in, it always happens when the country is in a mess. When times are good, people vote in a certain way, when times are bad people vote in a way that typically makes economics even worse in a self fulfilling spiral. And the whole thing goes round in predictable cycles. Same with immigration.

The number of posts by people revelling in other's misfortune speaks to the collective (lack of) mental and emotional health of the usual suspects, and the many new ones who seem to have been drawn out of the woodwork by this turn of events. It is frankly disgusting.

And to those comparing the rules and their administration in Thailand to those in the US, UK, etc., the difference is a major one: due process.

In the US, at least, people who are blacklisted will have had their day in court; likewise, deportees will have been heard by competent, if not sympathetic, officers of the court. No individual will be blacklisted by the front line thugs at Customs and Border Patrol...

Other differences are too numerous to mention, but include no reporting once a permission to stay has been granted (green card), etc.

Contrast this with the largely de facto power of the average farang-despising immigration officer to exercise caprice in handing out red stamps in your passport. Consider also that it is largely a crap-shoot as to whether you encounter one of those farang-haters, or one who is merely jealous, or one who didn't get laid the previous evening, etc, etc, etc., or one of the relatively professional and competent ones who try to administer the law fairly.

One suspects that many of the more strident advocates of the "have your ducks in a row, and no harm shall befall thee" myth have their uncomplicated and repeatable routine worked out at one of the more quaint local offices where such professional and farang-friendly officers ply their careers. Chaeng Wattana, and Suan Plu before it, are/were never so predictable. Nor is it predictable as to what your reception, and subsequent treatment will be like if you move to a new city or province.

Having lived in Bangkok for quite a few years, and then moved to Nong Khai, I can attest to the utter bull$hit you may have to abide if you move somewhere, in foolish regard only to the pleasantness of the place, and ignorantly trust that you will deal with a reasonable and professional immigration staff. Fortunately, until about 2011, the price was only to buy a bag of cookies from the chubby immigration lady, and then you were stamped in with a smile...

And it has only gotten worse. The rules used to be subject to a bit of softening at the sight of a purple note; it was a necessarily unwritten rule, but if everyone was on the same page, it was done gracefully, and everyone went home satisfied and relatively happy. Now, knuckleheads insist on bringing their Western anti-graft sensibilities with them, and foreign governments impose theirs from without, engendering even more anti-foreign sentiment among those whose rice bowls have been broken.

So, it's no wonder that Pol Col Somchai doesn't smile much, or exchange pleasantries with Billy-Bob with his iPad and new pickup in the lot as he has to stamp the guy in for another 90 days or one year. The officer can no longer extort enough to show the trappings necessary to actually get to home plate with the young thing of his fancy...

So, it's not really a lack of respect for the "rules", whatever they may ACTUALLY be, it's the lack of consistency, and lack of recourse that make it incomparable to the Western countries so popular in the posts of the schadenfreudists.

Some Jingthing character has been fighting the wishful thinking and outright lunacy of the deniers throughout this thread. One wonders: why does he bother? Anyone who can not parse the clear and obvious meaning of the statement:

"Overstay for less than 1 year > Forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 5 years."

is not worth arguing with.

Personally, although it was heartbreaking to do so, I have left Thailand, not so much owing to the vagaries of my own ability to stay, but due to outright abuse of my poor Filipino wife, who was subject to untoward comments from immigrations staff, in Nong Khai, and in Bangkok, and even in Vientiane. It was the correct decision, but not a happy one.

In 30+ years, this is the farthest I have seen the pendulum swing, and I don't dare hope to live long enough to see it return to the point where foreigners can retire with any sense of security or fairness. Thailand is failing, and as Thais will do, will blame everyone but themselves until the bottom is hit. We're easy targets these days, and no matter the parachute, the ground is coming up fast...

Fine, stay in the Philippines. If it's any consolation western women are treated the same as your poor wife. It's not personal it's their nature.

• Like 1

It's about time the authorities got tough with 'OVERSTAYERS'. Seriously, there are people out there that think Thai Immigration laws area joke. The whole process of overstay is considered an 'option' by so many. These normally are the sort of people you look at and start to feel itchy. Well good riddance to them, I hope they are all eventually rounded up and blacklisted.

Having said that, there should be a small clause out in place for those that simply miss by error, a few days or so (maybe a maximum of a week or so), as I sympathise with those who've simply made an error or whatever.

Anyway, no doubt there's a few dirt bags with puckering sphincters at the moment, sad to be them smile.png

There is an overstay counter at Immigration. You can't blame foreigners for availing themselves of a service that has been set up and provided for them by the immigration authorities. The authorities could have said many years ago that overstays would not be tolerated. They did not. Perhaps they should have consulted you sooner. No doubt you would put them straight!

• Like 1

What visa are you on? You seem to have significant issues regarding a countries right to chose their own requirements on visa regulations, and anyone who disagrees with your victimised stance you attack.

Answer the question young man, it's been asked by a few. Are you a Jack Golf frequent rider?

Almost every single long term expat on retirement visa today in Thailand has been a tourist visa runner or 30 day visa exempt runner in the past. This "running" very well suited them back then but today some of them think they are better people now, priviledged, core expats, pillars of community even!

Then they come here in TV to judge those who do exactly the same periodic "running" what they did before their retirement visas! That is so pathetic behaviour.

Who is on a retirement visa?

Who are you speaking to?

Answer the original question

• Like 1

It's about time the authorities got tough with 'OVERSTAYERS'. Seriously, there are people out there that think Thai Immigration laws area joke. The whole process of overstay is considered an 'option' by so many. These normally are the sort of people you look at and start to feel itchy. Well good riddance to them, I hope they are all eventually rounded up and blacklisted.

Having said that, there should be a small clause out in place for those that simply miss by error, a few days or so (maybe a maximum of a week or so), as I sympathise with those who've simply made an error or whatever.

Anyway, no doubt there's a few dirt bags with puckering sphincters at the moment, sad to be them smile.png

There is an overstay counter at Immigration. You can't blame foreigners for availing themselves of a service that has been set up and provided for them by the immigration authorities. The authorities could have said many years ago that overstays would not be tolerated. They did not. Perhaps they should have consulted you sooner. No doubt you would put them straight!

Thankfully they seemed to have listened. I suspect fines will also still be in place, but possibly more than 500 per day

What visa are you on? You seem to have significant issues regarding a countries right to chose their own requirements on visa regulations, and anyone who disagrees with your victimised stance you attack.

Answer the question young man, it's been asked by a few. Are you a Jack Golf frequent rider?

Almost every single long term expat on retirement visa today in Thailand has been a tourist visa runner or 30 day visa exempt runner in the past. This "running" very well suited them back then but today some of them think they are better people now, priviledged, core expats, pillars of community even!

Then they come here in TV to judge those who do exactly the same periodic "running" what they did before their retirement visas! That is so pathetic behaviour.

Who is on a retirement visa?

Who are you speaking to?

Answer the original question

He won't.... Timwin stands on his little box crying woe is me, and attacking other posters but he can't debate an issue , he just spits his dummy and wants to take his ball home

• Like 1

There should be an 'overstay' process for people with small, very small infractions. Sometimes people make mistakes. People need to take more care with matters of such a serious nature.

In all my years of roaming this globe, I've made no such infraction anywhere. I wouldn't even consider my efforts difficult. Far from it.

Simply, some people are too retarded to follow correct process and go throughout life looking for someone else to blame. These are the folk that should be jammed right back up their mommies clacker!

It seems that it's time for some <deleted> to pay the piper. Overstayers should cop it sweet because if your prepared to commit the crime you should be prepared to do the time. Simple as that really.

n.b.: There should still be a short time of a few days for people that make honest errors.

Edited by metisdead
Inflammatory comment removed.
  • Like 2

the minute somebody says "lets get rid of the bloody foreigners" you find yourself nodding in agreement...

until you suddenly realize YOU are the BLOODY FOREIGNER.

and they want you out!

Ah well remember when It was fun, and cheap and friendly?

When all you needed was a big pink note to get yourself steamed and pressed.

We escaped the Nanny state.......looks like it has finally caught up.......

Agreed - " the minute somebody says "lets get rid of the bloody foreigners" you find yourself nodding in agreement...

until you suddenly realize YOU are the BLOODY FOREIGNER.

and they want you out!"

Nanny state is not linked to this at all - a non-existent concept used by people who really don't understand how a society works.

• Like 1