Thai Immigration Bureau to blacklist all overstayers of more than 90 days

I mean really what is gained for all the headaches of these visa's??,,

So all the visa thing is for as far as I can see is to annoy everybody and send a message that Thailand is for Thais and that you might be permitted to stay for now, but we can change the law tomorrow and get rid of you just like that like that then we’ll have all your nice Villas and cars and we who wield the power will grow richer from your losses and laugh at the dumb farang who thought he was above us just because he thought he had more money.( then the statement would be followed by manic laughter)

Why would anybody buy houses and cars if they don't even have a proper visa???

Cos they are idiots ? Suppose this would be right time to cite the old Thailand clique about investing in Thailand only that your prepared to walk away from ?

• Like 2

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree that there seem to be quite a few TV members who are in a lucky position (now) and seem it fit to laugh at others in a difficult situation. If you know the visa rules these situations can be brought about by a number of reasons. Money, wife left, status changed, pension lowered,

passport mislaid or thrown out or kept by jealous wife, whatever. Everyone hits a 'Bump' in life sometimes. Instead of being compassionate there s this 5555 good riddance mentality. Pathetic to say the least. Like I said before: when xenophobia hits the fan, you never know what they change next. Then you ll find out we re all in the same boat. Visitors in a country that can make it hard for us. Yes, right now I am in a safe position, it gives me no right to be judgmental of the plight of others who are less lucky.

All in all, a grace period would be a good idea. Report now, solve the problem and no blacklist. After the grace period, you re on your own.

They've got a grace period, from today until the rules are finalised and implemented. In fact they've already had a grace period because Thai Immigration has been warning for some weeks that it's going to tighten up all the rules. There is no "new rule" here -- only increased penalties.

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

I agree that there seem to be quite a few TV members who are in a lucky position (now) and seem it fit to laugh at others in a difficult situation. If you know the visa rules these situations can be brought about by a number of reasons. Money, wife left, status changed, pension lowered,

passport mislaid or thrown out or kept by jealous wife, whatever. Everyone hits a 'Bump' in life sometimes. Instead of being compassionate there s this 5555 good riddance mentality. Pathetic to say the least. Like I said before: when xenophobia hits the fan, you never know what they change next. Then you ll find out we re all in the same boat. Visitors in a country that can make it hard for us. Yes, right now I am in a safe position, it gives me no right to be judgmental of the plight of others who are less lucky.

All in all, a grace period would be a good idea. Report now, solve the problem and no blacklist. After the grace period, you re on your own.

I am sure most people are compassionate with the people who deserve that. And yes, accidents happen.

The problem now is that already many people are overstaying, simply because they don't care, simply pay the fine and get back in again, a lot easier than all the visa hassle. And after the visa exempt out/in crackdown announcement, quite a few people announced they were simply going to overstay.

So I'm sorry, but these reactions can only lead to not so positive counter reactions, where as usual the good have to suffer under the bad.

• Like 1

Lets be honest, who overstays?...

So

1. People who have no money to do visa runs

2. People who are too lazy to do visa runs

3. People who can not afford proper visa

4. People who do not qualify for visa.

and

5 - People with bad eyesight who misread the visa expiry date (that was me....)

So you have medical excuse them Simon, need new glasses biggrin.png

Is too much wanking a medical excuse as well Simon mate? biggrin.png

The issue with this is that there are many reasons for overstay other than intention. Whilst maybe not such a huge proportion of people involved but there needs to be a test of reasonableness and that is currently on the whim of the immigration official handling your case.

I was forced into an overstay as my passport was stolen. Reported to the police and consulate and I did get it back but not in time. I certainly was offered no help from the Embassy but then they can't give a toss for their citizens. So should I be blacklisted because of a crime against me?

The issue then is if the particular officer on the day is looking for a bribe and doesn't get it, then your life can be devastated. As far as I know there is no easy appeal system.

Drastic and rigidly enforced rules are not usually just and given Thailand offers nothing in the way of benefits for non-Thais, is it really such an important issue for the nation with so many other problems.

It is a little scary and maybe the result of years of abuse - years of abuse that has done little harm though. Given the racism which is getting worse by the year, hope for compassion in extreme circumstances is rather like hoping the hungry lion won't eat you if you purr at it.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Is too much wanking a medical excuse as well Simon mate?

What a suggestion? How can I find my John Thomas with eyesight like mine?? cheesy.gif

laugh.png Pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass work for me.

People posting here can moan and groan all they want, the powers that be are tired of people thumbing their nose at the law. To bad some people who only over stay one or two days get caught up but you can thank the guys and gals who make a habit of overstay for months or even years at a time.

• Like 2

Got a feeling those poor bar girls are gonna be the worst hit. Instead of those nice looking young chaps, they'll be left with the saggy balled 60+ crowd in off season. Fill your boots Grandpopsies!

Or of course they would be left with significantly under 60's who have decent jobs in Thailan, so don't worry Goondizzy we will look after them for you when you have been hoofed out the country for overstaying

• Like 1

Good for all those listed cases of intentional overstay, but they should definitely include a tolerance period of 15 days with a 1000 baht fine per day whithout further consequences. I personally know a few loonies who simply remembered their departure date wrong.

The issue with this is that there are many reasons for overstay other than intention. Whilst maybe not such a huge proportion of people involved but there needs to be a test of reasonableness and that is currently on the whim of the immigration official handling your case.

I was forced into an overstay as my passport was stolen. Reported to the police and consulate and I did get it back but not in time. I certainly was offered no help from the Embassy but then they can't give a toss for their citizens. So should I be blacklisted because of a crime against me?

The issue then is if the particular officer on the day is looking for a bribe and doesn't get it, then your life can be devastated. As far as I know there is no easy appeal system.

Drastic and rigidly enforced rules are not usually just and given Thailand offers nothing in the way of benefits for non-Thais, is it really such an important issue for the nation with so many other problems.

It is a little scary and maybe the result of years of abuse - years of abuse that has done little harm though. Given the racism which is getting worse by the year, hope for compassion in extreme circumstances is rather like hoping the hungry lion won't eat you if you purr at it.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

How long did you overstay for ?

• Like 1

So the way it reads for those that are "caught",, "Overstay for less than 1 year > Forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 5 years."....... so any immigrations officer, could forbid a person from entering for 5 years,, with only 5 days,, etc.. overstay....

ND, did you get your TGAU in time for NGD?

No actually, I missed out, as usual. Are there some strings you can pull for me? I have been eagerly awaiting the cap and badge, not to mention my free entry tickets.

Can we now stop the petty and senseless bickering, and concentrate on the issue in hand, this is certainly an issue for some people.

I have just removed a dozen posts. From now on they will just disappear without notice.

• Like 2

Good for all those listed cases of intentional overstay, but they should definitely include a tolerance period of 15 days with a 1000 baht fine per day whithout further consequences. I personally know a few loonies who simply remembered their departure date wrong.

And it's too much trouble to check the passport once a week if your memory is that bad?

And it's too much trouble to check the passport once a week if your memory is that bad?
How hard is it to put key dates into a phone, computer or on a piece of paper to remind someone a week or so before ?

To be honest using the excuse of forgetting in this day and age is not an excuse at all

Yes all these new digital reminders are good things (if you know how to control them).

Back in the old days, I just use to chisel out reminders into stone.

Problem is now days, responsibility isn't being taught, people are looking for an excuse for everything, someone else is always to blame for their behaviour. We are living amongst a new age or person who seems incapable of accepting responsibility for their own behaviour and actions.

• Like 2

Gotta love the posts applauding these new rules.

I wonder if the same people will cheer as well when Immigration imposes further restrictions on marriage/retirement visas.

Exactly. What would happen if they announced that everyone needs to have 1m USD in a bank to qualify for a long term visa? Or that to get a work permit you need to earn 1m USD a year?

Watch how the whining little toads would suddenly change their tune.

The visa system here needs an overhall for sure...but some of the sanctimonious posts on here make me want to vomit.

There is a difference between having an equitable visa system and one that is very punitive and restrictive.

The current UK one certainly ain't perfect, not by a long mark. But trying to right sensible rules that can be applied to a mass of circumstances ain't easy either.

There have been many abuses of the current system in Thailand - overstayers not worried about the level of fines and consequences, boarder runs, ED visa abuses. As these loopholes get closed people get upset. But they are loopholes.

Visas and extensions of stay - based on marriage, retirement, business or working may not be perfect, but name any country that is?

All countries, that I know, are tightening up their visa, permissions to stay, and requirements. It's become more expensive and more bureaucratic to marry someone from outside the UK and take your new spouse there now. Why should citizens of any country that marry someone from a different country be penalized like this?

Having a good system to deal with those who enter on a visa exempt status and chose to simply overstay; or those who get a visa, can't be bothered to extend it, and overstay is one thing. It is nothing to do with making all visa and extension requirements draconian. There is no connection.

One thing for sure is that all countries welcome the wealthy. There are always special rules for them.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

I beleive that those that are genuine tourists have nothing to fear, those that are here long term on retirement or work extensions also should have nothing to fear.

Those that have been abusing the system through border runs, deliberate overstays and bogus ED Visas are probably the ones getting upset. If you want to stay here for extended periods of time there are perfectly simple ways of doing this without taking the piss out of the host country.

• Like 1

Can we now stop the petty and senseless bickering, and concentrate on the issue in hand, this is certainly an issue for some people.

I have just removed a dozen posts. From now on they will just disappear without notice.

Well done ubonjoe. I have never in my life seen such hostility posted by some members who are either overstayers or support people who do. Its not good for a forum of this type and you are right to clamp down on it.

• Like 2

How hard is it to put key dates into a phone, computer or on a piece of paper to remind someone a week or so before ?

To be honest using the excuse of forgetting in this day and age is not an excuse at all

Yes all these new digital reminders are good things (if you know how to control them).

Back in the old days, I just use to chisel out reminders into stone.

Problem is now days, responsibility isn't being taught, people are looking for an excuse for everything, someone else is always to blame for their behaviour. We are living amongst a new age or person who seems incapable of accepting responsibility for their own behaviour and actions.

Better watch it there, fella, or someone will call you a grave-dodger. Probably some border-runner...

Perhaps a bit radical.

However would it not be in the best interests of all concerned, the authorities and overstayers for the immigration department to declare an ammnesty say of a 2 month duration and allow those who are in need of ''assistance'' to establish a legitimate visa status to do so or those who wish could perhaps leave Thailand without let or hinderance.

Once done then strictly the rules, no touting of education visa's no offers of ''work permits and visa services, O visa'a marriage visa's etc etc. Level the playing field and there will be fewer problemms. eliminate the visa sevice agencies who in truth have contributired to this curent situation over many years with dubious nay downright illegal practices in many cases.

There will always be ''illegals'' they can't be stopped but with a bit of forward planning a large degree of control could and would be achieved.

Of course the greatest hinderance to such an idea would be both logic and forward planning, neither item being a particulary Thai trait.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

Pay the 20K go home and change your name legally and you're back on the Thai farm again. I know lots of people who are on 2 years plus over stay. They laugh at me for following the law in a lawless country. Things "I hope" will be changing. "Hope" is a useless word!!!!!

it would be far cheaper and less headache.... I wish i had been more of a rebel earlier....and decided on that strategy instead of doing things by the book.. There is some real truth in that statement.. it may be changing now but in the past the law has always been a very flexible thing more dependant on who you are how much money you have, than any sense of right or wrong..

I can't believe there are so many posters on this thread crying about how it's not fair that they won't be able to break the law so easily any longer.

There are rules and regulations for anyone who wants to live in a foreign country. If you currently can't meet the requirements, go home and come back when you can.

I can't believe there are so many guys like you, so desperate to feel as if you are an authority over others. You guys do it all day here, acting as if Thailand's immigration rules somehow place you in positions of authority, when actually, you are an authority of NO ONE. Just like a desperate teacher's pet, really, pretending that if you are put down enough people on TV, that somehow Thailand will respect you for it. It doesn't.

Seems heavy on conjecture and lacking of fact.

It would be interesting to know how many of you Guys (accidentally or not) overstayed while being in Thailand.

I overstayed once (1 day) because the Visa Run minibus broke down and they couldn't get a replacement. The following day they paid the fines for who were (because of them) on overstay.

But since then, I always made sure that my Visa Run was 2-3 days before the expiry date. Never had a overstay since.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM

From the OP:

Today, Thaivisa.com has been given access to a new Police order proposal that is due to be signed and released imminently, detailing tough new measures for foreigners who overstay in Thailand.

The new measures, which will see overstayers of more than 90 days blacklisted, are as follows:

To the many posters still concerned about going into overstay - be it through forgetting their exit date, accident, illness, etc - the title of the thread clearly states you will be blacklisted if you are exceeding 90 days.

If you are apprehended it still falls within the description of the law that you will only be blacklisted after 90 days. What they do with you before 90 days is anyone's guess...

You could be blacklisted if you are arrested for a serious crime but that has always been the case.

Personally I gain no pleasure in seeing people screw up their lives - not (as so many seem to feel) the Thai government screwing up their lives - but I find it difficult to sympathise as it has not been a walk in the park for someone who has stayed within the law.