Israel, Hamas on collision course as clashes escalate

webfact

Israel, Hamas on collision course as clashes escalate
Isabel Kershner

JERUSALEM: -- Israel and the militant group Hamas seemed set on a collision course, with an escalation of cross-border clashes around the Gaza Strip, Hamas vowing to avenge the deaths of six of its fighters, and preparations underway for a possible large-scale Israeli operation in the Palestinian coastal territory.

Spokesman for the Israeli military Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner said the army was completing the deployment of two infantry brigades along the border with Gaza and the government had approved the call-up of 1500 reservists, mainly Home Front Command and aerial defence units.

"If last week we were talking about calm being answered by calm," Lerner said, "we are now talking about preparing for an escalation."

Capitalising on broader Israeli-Palestinian tensions after the kidnapping and killing of three Israeli teenagers in the West Bank last month and the grisly killing of a Palestinian teenager in Jerusalem last week, Hamas also called for a mass demonstration on Monday night in the volatile West Bank city of Hebron. Hundreds of protesters scuffled with Palestinian Authority security forces and threw stones at them.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/israel-hamas-on-collision-course-as-clashes-escalate-20140708-zszk7.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-07-08

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again. The hatred is ingrained, seemingly genetic. Nothing to be done.

Not sure I agree about any kind of genetic reason behind the Palestinian - Jewish conflict given that Palestinians and Jews have a strong genetic connection.

• Like 1

Continuous occupation and whatever is left of Palestine and still trying to build illegal settlements deemed by international communities such as EU and UN as occupied territory is illegal.

Not saying Israel does not have the right to exist it does but so does Palestine based on equal share of land. But what's left of Palestine and still trying to build illegal settlements on it?

That's a new one. Based on an "equal" share of land. Where did that come from? I agree Palestinians deserve a state but given the long history of Arab wars determined at driving the Jews into the sea, I'd say if it is ever going to happen, they'll have to settle for something ... less. In other words, get real. Yes Israel has a strong military ... why is that ... because if they didn't there would be no Israel in that neighborhood, and everyone knows that.

Land share based on 1967 borders would be a good start.

Probably a little too late for that. The Palestinians turned those borders down in 1948 and have been fighting ever since. The Israelis have lost a lot of lives and treasure fending them off and keeping them in line.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Continuous occupation and whatever is left of Palestine and still trying to build illegal settlements deemed by international communities such as EU and UN as occupied territory is illegal.

Not saying Israel does not have the right to exist it does but so does Palestine based on equal share of land. But what's left of Palestine and still trying to build illegal settlements on it?

That's a new one. Based on an "equal" share of land. Where did that come from? I agree Palestinians deserve a state but given the long history of Arab wars determined at driving the Jews into the sea, I'd say if it is ever going to happen, they'll have to settle for something ... less. In other words, get real. Yes Israel has a strong military ... why is that ... because if they didn't there would be no Israel in that neighborhood, and everyone knows that.

Israel did made an offer peace for land which was refused by all Arab states. Eventually Egypt signed peace treaty and got Sinnai back.

In case you have not noticed it takes 2 to tango, they missed their boat.

Would 2 million arabs with Israeli passport be willing to relocate? i seriously doubt it

Has Hamas stopped its attacks? No it has not.

Has PA changed its school education of hatred? No they have not.

Can not sit on 2 chairs with one tuhas

Not saying Israel does not have the right to exist it does but so does Palestine

The Palestinians can blame themselves. They have refused peace deal after peace deal and chance after chance to have their own country. It is not a good idea to keep starting wars that you never win.

There will be a time when masses in States realize that the whole country is ran by jewish. After the next revolution when the "aid" to Israel ends... Never say ...

Indeed it's a mess but any Palestinian state would include Gaza and wb elements.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Right now, it doesn't seem like the Palestinians can even iron out their domestic differences.

Israel sure does stall when it comes to negotiations, but the current political situation between

the PA and Hamas doesn't exactly invoke must trust that there's a unified Palestinian stand on

the best way to reach an agreement with Israel.

Does mean all hope is lost, just that it is not around the corner. Probably not even on the next

block.

Not saying Israel does not have the right to exist it does but so does Palestine

The Palestinians can blame themselves. They have refused peace deal after peace deal and chance after chance to have their own country. It is not a good idea to keep starting wars that you never win.

There will be a time when masses in States realize that the whole country is ran by jewish. After the next revolution when the "aid" to Israel ends... Never say ...

US aid is conditional that over 80% or something is spend on US products, hardly a burden in comparison to aid given to Palestinians or Egypt which sees no returns, only burning US flags and celebration of American deaths

• Like 1

US aid is conditional that over 80% or something is spend on US products, hardly a burden in comparison to aid given to Palestinians or Egypt which sees no returns, only burning US flags and celebration of American deaths

Very impressive figures...and aid to Egypt etc. Ridiculous even to compare wt aid to Israel over the years.

Very impressive figures...and aid to Egypt etc. Ridiculous even to compare wt aid to Israel over the years.

Israel gets way too much Aid funding from the USA, especially with the USA economics not being at their finest hour.

What does this have to do with the current round of hostilities between the Hamas and Israel?

Indeed it's a mess but any Palestinian state would include Gaza and wb elements.

Right now, it doesn't seem like the Palestinians can even iron out their domestic differences.

Israel sure does stall when it comes to negotiations, but the current political situation between

the PA and Hamas doesn't exactly invoke must trust that there's a unified Palestinian stand on

Does mean all hope is lost, just that it is not around the corner. Probably not even on the next

block.

As I consider you very knowledgeable on these matters I'm pleased to hear you still think there is hope for a two state solution in the long term. Because I don't.

Israel gets way too much Aid funding from the USA, especially with the USA economics not being at their finest hour.

What does this have to do with the current round of hostilities between the Hamas and Israel?

No way Israel's gonna compromise or even have a serious talks about Palestine. As long as USA keeps supporting,tolerating Israel¨s criminal behaviour there will be terrorists and war.

No way Israel's gonna compromise or even have a serious talks about Palestine. As long as USA keeps supporting,tolerating Israel¨s criminal behaviour there will be terrorists and war.

So what you saying is that it is Americans fault for aiding Israel, while Iran aiding and supplying Hamas with weapons is totally innocent?

• Like 1

So what you saying is that it is Americans fault for aiding Israel, while Iran aiding and supplying Hamas with weapons is totally innocent?

Slingshots against tanks...literally.

Here we go again. The hatred is ingrained, seemingly genetic. Nothing to be done.

Not sure I agree about any kind of genetic reason behind the Palestinian - Jewish conflict given that Palestinians and Jews have a strong genetic connection.

The Palestinians have an even greater genetic connection to their brethern in the neighboring Arab states. Since we can't turn the clock back upon the existence of Israel, despite the best efforts of some to do just that as they do not believe the brutal tides of history apply to the "killers of Christ", perhaps it is time to abandon the attempt of an independent Palestinian state that would be too small to be functional as an independent nation and just reintegrate the West Bank back into Jordan and give Gaza to Jordan as a Mediterranean port. Then you would have an even stronger Palestinian State as Amman is as Palestinian as Ramallah. And be assured that if the Jews were to be expelled or tossed into the sea then Ramallah would revert back to Jordanian rule.

And by the way, with such inept political leadership from both the Israelis and the Palestinians for so many decades now, one need not reach back to Balfour to find blame. With the Arabs continuing to deny the right for the existence of Israel and the Israelis continuing to build settlements where they should not, one can only step aside and say a pox on both their houses.

• Like 1

block.

As I consider you very knowledgeable on these matters I'm pleased to hear you still think there is hope for a two state solution in the long term. Because I don't.

I have no idea which shape this solution will take, and my version of long term is probably too long to be called

optimistic. Looking back on history, most conflicts get resolved one way or another. With time, there is a certain

improvement in the way such things get done (that is less total annihilation, selling of captives into slavery and

that sort of thing). These things take time, lots of it.

There was some discussion recently which brought up some of David Ben-Gurion's quotes, so here is another

which may fit - "In Israel, in order to be a realist you must believe in miracles." (Interview on CBS, 5.10.1956).

• Like 1

And the rockets landing in Israel must be Christmas giftsblink.png

• Like 1

And the rockets landing in Israel must be Christmas giftsblink.png

Thai fireworks cause more casualties!

• Like 1

Israel did made an offer peace for land which was refused by all Arab states. Eventually Egypt signed peace treaty and got Sinnai back.

In case you have not noticed it takes 2 to tango, they missed their boat.

Would 2 million arabs with Israeli passport be willing to relocate? i seriously doubt it

Has Hamas stopped its attacks? No it has not.

Has PA changed its school education of hatred? No they have not.

Can not sit on 2 chairs with one tuhas

If hamas did not stop the attacks then why is Israel continuing to build settlements in east jerusalem and other areas that are not controlled by hamas ? Settlement building in east jerusalem and other areas in which israel faces no danger from is not only condemned by US, EU and UN but also a blockade to a viable two state solution.