Phuket's Allamanda Laguna hotel closes

webfact

Phuket's Allamanda Laguna hotel closes
Alasdair Forbes

1404811566_1-org.jpg
The lobby of Allamanda Phuket, from the hotel's website.

PHUKET: -- The Allamanda condo complex in Laguna, operated as a hotel for a couple of decades, will close to guests at the end of this month.

In an email to guests booked to stay there, the management company, Allamanda Hotel Ltd (AHL), stated, "Please be informed … that, after operating the hotel … for over 20 years, Allamanda Laguna Phuket hotel is closing its doors...

"Due to unforeseen circumstances it no longer can sustain as a 4-star hotel

"It is with great sadness we have to cancel all the confirmed reservations made without any prepayment. "

General manager Femke Beekers today confirmed the hotel will close.

She told The Phuket News, "Allamanda Laguna Phuket will close as a hotel at end of July. We were unable to continue operating certain areas [of the hotel], which [has] made it impossible for us to remain competitive.

"AHL will try to arrange alternative accommodation for people who have already booked."

Completed in 1993, the complex has three phases. Phases 2 and 3, comprising 141 units, were run as a hotel.

Initially this was managed by Laguna Resorts and Hotels, and then by Best Western, but in 2009 the condo owners set up AHL to run it as a hotel so that owners who did not live there full-time could receive income from their units.

The Phuket News understands that owners of Phase 1 declined to allow the continued use of part of their premises by AHL, rendering the hotel unviable.

Owners of Phase 1 could not immediately be reached for comment as to why this decision was taken.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phukets-allamanda-laguna-hotel-closes-47258.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-08

Sad to see this place close. I spent the first two nights of my honeymoon there, back in 1994 as the Banyan Tree Resort was not opened until the 2nd day of my honeymoon. I then checked into Banyan Tree on the 3rd day of my honeymoon (they sent a buggy round to pick us up).

I remember it as being more like an apartment suite as opposed to a hotel room. It was not grand but it was new and clean at that time. Have never been back to Phuket since then.

Very sad indeed. My family always stayed at Allamanda when they visited Phuket. Wonder what happens to some of our neighbours through the years who had bought a one or two bedroom suite and lived there more or less permanent!

I lived at Allamanda last year. Most of the condos are privately owned now and may not be part of the hotel rental program. My guess is the rental program didn't pay the rent for the front desk and restaurant to the owners association and were kicked out. Not good news for the owners that bought their condos expecting to be able to rent it and get some revenue when they were away.