Mae Sai border/ visa run report

I'm heading up to Mae Sai this Saturday (12th). I have a Multiple Entry Non-Imm "O", so hopefully won't have any problems re-entering, especially since I have two children waiting at home. Does anyone know the amount of money you have to show when entering Thailand, just in case I'm asked - is it 20,000 or 40,000? I've never been asked before, so have never really taken notice!

I'll also report back on how it went.

I have been in and out many times. I have never been asked to show money.

No, but if they will deny you entry on the second entry. They will tell you before you leave to Myanmar, so you have time to sort it out.

If you have a ticket out of Thailand, it is a good idea to take it with you to show you don't intend to stay in Thailand for ever.

why would they deny your 2nd entry?

If someone is in possession a valid VISA it is extremely unlikely that entry would be denied.

There are very few reasons which would justify refusal, the main ones being a)suspicion of illegal working and b)Having sufficient money for day to day living.

Having a flight ticket out of Thailand and 20,000 Bht cash removes doubt.

what if i don't have a flight out? I don't know my plans yet, and even when I do, it is likely i will use a bus to depart by land and not fly...what then?

I have a tourist visa, and need to start me 2nd entry, but now, after reading the messages here, I am a bit nervous.

Why is nothing straight forward here?

if you have a visa, they should not ask about money and plane tickets...

who carries 20k baht when traveling? You're asking to be robbed/mugged..etc...

Did Mae sai last month on a triple - second entry had to show ticket and money. First time this happened - seems they get more complicated.

They, the Thai Immigration Officers can ask anything they like to determine if an individual meets the requirements for entry.

Thai IO'S have the same powers as do IO's of Western countries.

Refusing entry can only be done for specific reason. Not having an adequate amount of cash is one of those reasons.

Did Mae sai last month on a triple - second entry had to show ticket and money. First time this happened - seems they get more complicated.

interesting... do you have a lot of previous visas or stamps? Where are you from... if you don't mind me asking.

interesting... do you have a lot of previous visas or stamps? Where are you from... if you don't mind me asking.

G7 and single digit of Thai multiple Thai visas

Edited by blueyeshk

is it come they ask for all this stuff?

I thought with a valid visa, you don't need airfare proof.

can i simply say, i have not made plans yet, and when i do, i am likely traveling by bus? sad.png

A visa for any country, is simply an invitation to request admission to a country. It is the IO who determines if an individual meets the requirements for admission.

A visa does not confer a "right" of admission.

can i simply say, i have not made plans yet, and when i do, i am likely traveling by bus? sad.png

There is no requirement to have a ticket out if you have a visa. An officer could ask to see one but their is no legal basis to deny entry for not having one unless they were to consider it as part of having financial proof.

• Like 1

There is no requirement to have a ticket out if you have a visa. An officer could ask to see one but their is no legal basis to deny entry for not having one unless they were to consider it as part of having financial proof.
In fact they won't let me even out if I couldn't show them ticket and money - I love Thailand for this- predictable unpredictable- bad luck on this given day you might say and I do hope the same. Edited by blueyeshk

From what I am reading, if it is your first time doing the Mae Sai border run, you'll be fine and will not need to prove anything.

However, if this is your 2nd time, then you will have to show onward proof and funds, perhaps... if they even let you cross.

Here is a good blog:

http://www.dailysoliloquy.com/land-crossing-the-thai-mae-saimyanmar-border-for-visa-run/

From what I am reading, if it is your first time doing the Mae Sai border run, you'll be fine and will not need to prove anything.

However, if this is your 2nd time, then you will have to show onward proof and funds, perhaps... if they even let you cross.

Here is a good blog:

http://www.dailysoliloquy.com/land-crossing-the-thai-mae-saimyanmar-border-for-visa-run/

Last stamp from mae sai was in november 2014*- and next stamp will be on november 2015 will see,

• 1 month later...

You would need to get a visa for Myanmar if you wanted to stay more than overnight.

Thai immigration is denying departure unless you have a valid visa for re-entry to the country. If you had a visa for Myanmar they would allow to leave without a Thai visa for entry,

You would need to get a visa for Myanmar if you wanted to stay more than overnight.

Thai immigration is denying departure unless you have a valid visa for re-entry to the country. If you had a visa for Myanmar they would allow to leave without a Thai visa for entry,

So this all has to do with the Thai immigration conundrum? Myanmar allows 2 weeks stay on a border crossing without having to obtain a Myanmar visa(30day). So in order to satisfy the Thais one needs to spend money and time obtaining a Myanmar visa just to visit a border area even if it is for less than 2 weeks?

Lets say I had a multiple entry Thai tourist visa. Would I then be allowed across the border to visit for up to two weeks without having to have a Myanmar visa?

So this all has to do with the Thai immigration conundrum? Myanmar allows 2 weeks stay on a border crossing without having to obtain a Myanmar visa(30day). So in order to satisfy the Thais one needs to spend money and time obtaining a Myanmar visa just to visit a border area even if it is for less than 2 weeks?

Lets say I had a multiple entry Thai tourist visa. Would I then be allowed across the border to visit for up to two weeks without having to have a Myanmar visa?

They want proof that you are not just crossing to turn around and come right back before you leave the country without a valid visa to re-enter Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...
They want proof that you are not just crossing to turn around and come right back before you leave the country without a valid visa to re-enter Thailand.

Ubonjoe what do you mean? Do you mean they want such a "proof" when one just doing exit-enter from and to Thailand to activate next entry of TR visa?

In Mae Sai of course.

Ubonjoe what do you mean? Do you mean they want such a "proof" when one just doing exit-enter from and to Thailand to activate next entry of TR visa?

In Mae Sai of course.

Having a valid visa is "proof" of not attempting to re-enter the country without such a visa

• Like 1