Mae Sai border/ visa run report

........................................and then you will be forced to re-enter Thailand at the same crossing (Mae Sai) because your passport will be held at the border. Hence the reason why sometimes Thai immigration refuses exit to travellers that may not be admissible on re-entry at the Myanmar borders.

Not correct. Your passport is now handed back to you on entering Myanmar. No more of the paper IDs are issued any more.

Even if you arrive without a visa? That must be very new then, I had no idea. If that's the case one could almost bail and attempt to sneak into another part of Myanmar then. But I do agree that's a good thing as keeping your passport at the border just feels strange and many travellers feel unsafe at this prospect.

Don't forget the Myanmar border officers that don't get their 500 THB /a farang...

It's still US$10 or 500 THB. I paid US$10 which works out at 330 THB at a money exchange in CM (with fees)

It's always been US$10 but enterprising Myanmar immigration officials will almost always ask for 500 Baht first up. As soon as you give them US$10 without so much as saying a word they'll accept it. Out of 6 entries on short term passes (5 at Mae Sot and 1 at Mae Sai) in the past year or so, this has always worked for me. Entering with a visa of course you don't need to pay anything (I've entered at Mae Sot with a visa 3 times).

Don't forget the Myanmar border officers that don't get their 500 THB /a farang...

It's still US$10 or 500 THB. I paid US$10 which works out at 330 THB at a money exchange in CM (with fees)

It's always been US$10 but enterprising Myanmar immigration officials will almost always ask for 500 Baht first up. As soon as you give them US$10 without so much as saying a word they'll accept it. Out of 6 entries on short term passes (5 at Mae Sot and 1 at Mae Sai) in the past year or so, this has always worked for me. Entering with a visa of course you don't need to pay anything (I've entered at Mae Sot with a visa 3 times).

They may sometimes ask but half a dozen times now, and a bit more: you don't ask, you just present the US$10 note with your passport with the Burma side of the trip and they don't argue. Put the note in your passport page as you hand it over. End story. Their own signs say they take it and I've never had a problem.

Not once have I had a problem. US$10.

• Like 1

My only gripe from the trip: border police can't count. I was stamped out on 6 July but the stamp back in reads 3 Sep (it should be 5 Sep.)

Sorry but it's you who can't count. A simple addition shows you have 60 days including the date stamp day. They count actual 60 days, they do not round up using 30-day months.

Should be 4th, not 3rd, presuming July and August both have 31 days.

Sept 3rd is correct.

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?d1=6&m1=7&y1=2014&d2=3&m2=9&y2=2014&ti=on

• Like 2

........................................and then you will be forced to re-enter Thailand at the same crossing (Mae Sai) because your passport will be held at the border. Hence the reason why sometimes Thai immigration refuses exit to travellers that may not be admissible on re-entry at the Myanmar borders.

Not correct. Your passport is now handed back to you on entering Myanmar. No more of the paper IDs are issued any more.

Even if you arrive without a visa? That must be very new then, I had no idea. If that's the case one could almost bail and attempt to sneak into another part of Myanmar then. But I do agree that's a good thing as keeping your passport at the border just feels strange and many travellers feel unsafe at this prospect.

Yes even if you enter without a visa, but you are restricted to the Tatchilek municipality. If you wish to travel further a visa needs to be obtained prior to entering.wai.gif

so, if there is a problem would thai immigration tell me before I left?! or would I be stranded once I leave...only so long I could spend shopping in that market...! or do they give 7 days?

is it possible to go and ask someone who knows at immigration in CM to clarify my position? tell me my visa is no good for a further stay and I will head back to the uk/oz/somewhere else....

Yes even if you enter without a visa, but you are restricted to the Tatchilek municipality. If you wish to travel further a visa needs to be obtained prior to entering.wai.gif

I was under the impression that you could go up to the Chinese border and back without a visa as you get a 14-day pass on arrival. That has always been the case up until now. You are allowed to travel between Tachilek and Mong La via Kengtung but nowhere else.

If there is a problem immigration will normally not allow you to leave and tell you to leave at another border.

Immigration does not let you stranded. If you are denied entry, Thailand has to take you back. But than will deport you from Thailand to your home country.

They may sometimes ask but half a dozen times now, and a bit more: you don't ask, you just present the US$10 note with your passport with the Burma side of the trip and they don't argue. Put the note in your passport page as you hand it over. End story. Their own signs say they take it and I've never had a problem.

Exactly - that's what i just said. I laugh at the various sources, some of them claiming to be "official" when they claim that "Tachilek officials are no longer accepting anything less than 500 Baht" or similar, when with almost no effort you can just give them US$10 and they won't try and ask for 500 Baht. In all these years I've never paid in Baht, always US$5 back in the days when it was $5 for a day pass and $10 for a 14 day pass, now all you get is a 14 day pass even if you only stay for a day but you pay US$10 in that case. At all the other borders it's also US$10 and that's what I've paid.

Is going to mae sai to activate 3rd entry of triple TV (1sr 2 extended 30 days) a bad idea? ! No other stamps in pp, will take 20k cash and printouts for much more. Anyone done this past few days?!

done this, but on the second part of a double entry.

You will be fine.

• Like 1

Neither have I: every time (about 7 times now) US$10 not a problem

Just got back from Mae Sai - Non Imm "O" visa. LOTS of Thai shopping tourists, and a huge queue to exit Thailand, but no problems at all. In fact, immigration staff were smiling, and very helpful :)

Just got back from Mae Sai - Non Imm "O" visa. LOTS of Thai shopping tourists, and a huge queue to exit Thailand, but no problems at all. In fact, immigration staff were smiling, and very helpful smile.png

A huge queue of foreigners or Thais waiting to exit? Normally it doesn't take long for Thais to exit, provided they are heading to Tachilek on a one day border pass, where they use a separate line. If they use a passport and visa (which would likely be the case if they wanted to head further into Myanmar or stay longer) they might have to stand in line for a bit, but probably not that long either as I can't imagine large numbers of Thais crossing into Myanmar for purposes other than one day shopping trips to Myanmar. Typically the number of Thais heading further into Myanmar with a passport and visa is lower than the number of westerners doing the same thing.

I still travel to the border every month for a 30 day visa exempt stamp. At the end of this month will be the 4th run in succession.

All I can say is that you better read up on recent happenings ... or you are likely be stranded in a place you do not want to be... If you get a 4th, successful run ... I will be amazed considering recent events...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/741503-south-thailand-border-crossings-reports-problems-to-enter-with-60-days-tourist-visas-tr60/

It will soon be happening at every border checkpoint... IMO

Edited by JDGRUEN

I still travel to the border every month for a 30 day visa exempt stamp. At the end of this month will be the 4th run in succession.

All I can say is that you better read up on recent happenings ... or you are likely be stranded in a place you do not want to be... If you get a 4th, successful run ... I will be amazed considering recent events...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/741503-south-thailand-border-crossings-reports-problems-to-enter-with-60-days-tourist-visas-tr60/

It will soon be happening at every border checkpoint... IMO

I was relaying real world border crossing information, not soliciting advice, in case anyone needs to make a border run. If anyone doubts my credibility you can send me a pm and I will meet you anywhere in muang CR and show you my passport stamps.

I was relaying real world border crossing information, not soliciting advice, in case anyone needs to make a border run. If anyone doubts my credibility you can send me a pm and I will meet you anywhere in muang CR and show you my passport stamps.

No problem acknowledging what was in the past. The present and future is another story and if you think to get 4th back-to-back visa-exempt entry, good luck with that, let us know how it goes.

No, but if they will deny you entry on the second entry. They will tell you before you leave to Myanmar, so you have time to sort it out.

If you have a ticket out of Thailand, it is a good idea to take it with you to show you don't intend to stay in Thailand for ever.

No, but if they will deny you entry on the second entry. They will tell you before you leave to Myanmar, so you have time to sort it out.

If you have a ticket out of Thailand, it is a good idea to take it with you to show you don't intend to stay in Thailand for ever.

Thanks Mario, that sounds like great advice! I will ofcourse report my findings about what's going on there back here.. :)

has anyone been to mae sai to activate second entry of double entry tourist visa the last few days? was it business as usual or are they turning people away like in the southern thailand Malaysia borders?

has anyone been to mae sai to activate second entry of double entry tourist visa the last few days? was it business as usual or are they turning people away like in the southern thailand Malaysia borders?

Two weeks ago I was ok, I was on 2nd entry after a 30 day extension on the 1st entry and had a 1 day overstay....was reading the wrong date! Doh!

Would be interesting to know....my 3rd entry, I guess is wasted, as will be after 12 August.

Two weeks ago I was ok, I was on 2nd entry after a 30 day extension on the 1st entry and had a 1 day overstay....was reading the wrong date! Doh!

Would be interesting to know....my 3rd entry, I guess is wasted, as will be after 12 August.

i am going there tomorrow, will bring 20000 baht cash, return flight ticket to my home country, screenshot of my bank account from home country and a hand written itinerary and a copy of my travel insurance. i will report how it goes

• Like 1

i am going there tomorrow, will bring 20000 baht cash, return flight ticket to my home country, screenshot of my bank account from home country and a hand written itinerary and a copy of my travel insurance. i will report how it goes

That is partly what I did for my 2nd entry, 20k in pocket and printout of my BA return flight BUT was not requested or shown.. Keep us posted.

Edited by kjhbigv

i just did my second entry on my second double entry tourist visa. no questions asked. talked with another guy that did his second 30 day excemptiom. he walked through without questions. seems like business as usual. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

why would they deny your 2nd entry?