driving becomes nightmare on roads now

opalred

10yrs ago driving was enjoyable everyone polite and smiled to each other Now everyone impolite and rude and angry out to kill you if survive a trip you are blessed

before get on bike or in car need to do 20 hail marys aspit then light 10candles then maybe stay alive for the drive cheers

• Like 2

They just seem to have a different sense of good/bad driving, luck/unlucky. Couple of months back in height of sugar season I rounded a corner, only to discover a sugar truck on my side of the road, in the process of falling over and headed straight towards me. Front of my truck ended up totally <deleted>.

To my neighbors however this was seen as totally lucky (i wasn't dead) and proceeded to use my truck license plate number for lottery tickets. With Thai driving, just take a deep breath, and go This Is Thailand, since I doubt any amount of online ranting, or military coups are gonna change it my, or your lifetime

So what caused this change in the last 10 years ?

probably wasnt helped by the dumbass policy ( to appease the Japanese car makers after flood damage) togive cheap cars to Thais

• Like 1

Why does someone always whinge about Thailand's roads the day after I get to Thailand? I'm not that bad!

I'm on the roads every day and I probably drive a little more aggressively than the average Thai. And if someone has a problem with that, they are welcome to go have sex with themselves.

• Like 1

The number of cars has increased, i guess.

I agree with the OP, i used to enjoy the almost empty roads some 10 years ago, while now i say my prayers before every long trip.

ok years ago was more bikes on road then finance companys gave cars little or no deposit to people never had driving test but arranged to get licence for them so get high interest payments over 5yrs or more now caught up like western world always in hurry maybe 2jobs to pay the parisites my thai wife been driving 25yrs she now complaints everyone impolite and in hurry all time now just selfish sounds like farang brought habits here cheers

I have seen some diabolical driving, Farangs at the wheel or on the bike.

Actually my father used to say that driving was more fun when he was young, that is in the 1940s. I actually quite like driving in Thailand, but then again I don't live in Bangkok or Pattaya. Pattaya is in fact full of rude, selfish and dangerous drivers. I will be going down there tomorrow, Gawd help me.

I'm on the roads every day and I probably drive a little more aggressively than the average Thai. And if someone has a problem with that, they are welcome to go have sex with themselves.

Same here, if anything I think that hesitation causes more accidents then anything. I used to a lot of driving in Central London and I'm really not sure if the average Thai is any worse than the average black cabbie or white van driver.

SDM

Yeah, my wife says that I never used to complain about the thai drivers but now I whinge all of the time. I think my tolerance for &lt;deleted&gt;*kwits who don't care has jaded me.

To be honest the Thais aren't any worse than Indos, Viets, etc etc .. But these days I fantasize about driving a 4WD with massive bulbar straight up the road just cleaning the path ahead. Luckily that's all it is..fantasy.

Why does someone always whinge about Thailand's roads the day after I get to Thailand? I'm not that bad!

Depends on what you mean by aggressively, if you are making sure that no other driver puts one over on you, then I am the same, as long as you are not risking an accident.

One example, if another driver heading towards me, does not want to give me the right of way, and moves over to my side of the road when there is an obstruction on his side of the road, ie parked vehicles, I will carry on slowly, then stop and wait till he reverses back, they always do eventually, because I am never in a hurry.

• Like 1

typical answer from a yank where road rage is the normal day life maybe bring a gun out to cheers

I have driven a lot in America, and I found the drivers over there to be very considerate, and never had a problem.

• Like 2

I have seen some diabolical driving, Farangs at the wheel or on the bike.

Actually my father used to say that driving was more fun when he was young, that is in the 1940s. I actually quite like driving in Thailand, but then again I don't live in Bangkok or Pattaya. Pattaya is in fact full of rude, selfish and dangerous drivers. I will be going down there tomorrow, Gawd help me.

If I see you crossing the road, I shall remember your comment about rude, selfish Pattaya drivers, ponder it carefully as I bear menacingly down upon you. Hopefully, that one-tenth of a second will still leave me enough time to brake. Good luck, cooked, very good luck, my friend.

what about the previous 20yrs.before that.

if you never traveled on the old airport to patts.rd you hadent seen nuffing.

I believe its to help increase the sales of b.p. tabs.

Stay classy

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app