Thai commander welcomes new submarine centre, despite lack of subs

webfact

Now's a good time to ask for a submarine, with the Military in charge of the government.

Not so sure about that. With all eyes on Prayuth seeing if he abuses his position

of power by opening up the floodgates for moronic military purchases, I suspect

he will be careful what he approves. Plus with His Majesty's speech basically

shooting down the idea , it should be pretty easy to deny the funding.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/thailand/ssk.htm

"In March 2001 Thailand's defence minister Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyudh blocked the navy's proposal to lease two submarines for training, saying the navy must come up with a less expensive scheme. Chavalit agreed in principle with the three-billion-baht lease proposal, but felt the project could be shelved for the time being due to budget constraints. This upset Adm. Prasert Boonsong, the navy commander-in-chief, and senior naval officers. Chavalit feared approval of the scheme would subject him and the government to criticism."

( Bold done by me)

That was a funny one. Two billion baht to lease submarines so the navy could play with them.

Then turn them back in... :-) This in a country where the average college student scarcely knows what happened in WW2.

Thailand needs education, not subs... To gain some perspective, the subs the navy wants

to buy are German made 206A. Their length is 48.6 meters or 159 feet. The average

depth in the Gulf of Thailand is 120 feet . So if the sub did a vertical dive, 39 feet of the

sub would be sticking out of the water. With military thinking like this, I sure as hell hope

no one declares war and attacks Thailand....

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/thailand/ssk.htm

"On 22 April 2011 navy chief Admiral Kamthorn Poomhiran said the navy wanted to buy six used Type U206A submarines from Germany, because they are most suitable for its needs. Adm Kamthorn said the Type U206A submarine is most suitable for the Thai navy because it is small and agile, with a displacement of only 450 tonnes. Moreover, the six submarines would cost the navy only 7.7 billion baht."

(Bold done by me)

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ones in charge are military personnel, they are not politicians. They are not elected. The military anywhere in the world likes to have toys, even if they can't use them.

They might need that submarine if they decide to invade Guam, for example.

• Like 1

Thailand needs submarines like it needs an aircraft carrier with no planes and a blimp that can't fly.

That aircraft carrier must be a bit of a sore point, as farangs are not allowed to take a tour

on it. I really wanted to go and see it, but all information I read said we are not allowed

to board the ship. The blimp got a lot of laughs, but has done the gentle fade away,

most likely never to be mentioned again in the Thai media...

• Like 1

Do not worry.... The subs are comming with the military dictatorship in charge. Dive Dive

Disagree.... To approve these subs would basically undo all his work to date to improve

the country, and make it look like the military has taken over the feeding trough. As well

as subjecting him to ridicule both domestically and abroad. So I am sure this is not

going to happen, but time will tell. As I said before, His Majesty has already nixed this sub

purchase......

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Does no one else find it slightly hypocritical that the same people to hail the coup at every given opportunity are now slamming one of the main participants of it?

On the one hand you dont trust Narong Pipathanasai and his men to run the Navy (what they are trained for) but you do trust them to run the country!?

Typical of the inconsistencies and downright stupidity of such people.

• Like 1

Can't understand your queries. UK built an aircraft carrier without planes, Germany is building an airport which will not suit any requirements, why not have a submarine centre without subs? No reason to always hack on Thailand. It's Thailand with all its pros and cons.....

Fatfather

Does no one else find it slightly hypocritical that the same people to hail the coup at every given opportunity are now slamming one of the main participants of it?

On the one hand you dont trust Narong Pipathanasai and his men to run the Navy (what they are trained for) but you do trust them to run the country!?

Typical of the inconsistencies and downright stupidity of such people.

Not really. Prayuth seems to be calling all the shots, and so far so good. If he starts making

errors I can see, I will be the first to criticize him. Well, at least to the extent that TV allows me

before banning me. Regarding Admiral Narong Pipathanasai, I have not heard much from him

regarding policy by the junta over the last couple of months. About the submarine concept,

the Admiral would be far to smart to make a fool of himself by issuing a statement about it,

so he had a junior officer float a trial balloon which of course will go down in flames...

'Thainess', what an amazing thing it is.

Of course, they're quite correct, as my wife reminds me numerous times. She tells me I don't understand because 'we're different'.

How right she is.

Very different indeed. It doesn't bother me nowadays.

Can't understand your queries. UK built an aircraft carrier without planes, Germany is building an airport which will not suit any requirements, why not have a submarine centre without subs? No reason to always hack on Thailand. It's Thailand with all its pros and cons.....

Fatfather

ridiculous post as the UK carrier planes are being sourced from the USA and on order for delivery in a few years time as its a new plane in development

i smell an apologist .....

• Like 1

whats the under the table commission on a surplus submarine these days ?

Would guess the standard 30 %. With recent events here, not really sure if

that has changed or not. Would be interesting to know how many pockets

that has to go into. Reminds me of the Godfather line about the mafia

guy wanting to dip his beak a little into the money...... :-)

There's a Hollywood movie about this I think. It's called Twenty Thousand Envelopes Under The Table, or something like that.

Or Fred Karno's Army? smile.png

McHale's navy?

-*I typed this myself*-

if you have a good memory, you might remember few years back, the army did purchase for 50 millions dollars

a dirigible airship. They wanted to use it in south thailand to track down terrorist....

The balloon did never fly once, let be honest the army are like the rest of the country.... completely crooked.

• Like 1

It's the best time to ask.

Get some more tanks while you're at it.

Has a Thai tank ever been used against anyone other than Thai citizens ??

Please define 'used' rolleyes.gif

• Like 1