Forced Breathalyzer at Police Checkpoint - Ngam Wong Wan/Rattanathibet

astanhope

This was about a week or so ago... It was after midnight. I was heading out of the Bangkok, west on Ngam Wong Wan / Rattanathibet. I am 95% certain that I was on the Ngam Wong Wan side of the river.

The brisk, thin traffic came to a sudden stop. The previous evening there were soldiers with what I assumed to be AR-15s checking cars with flashlights. I was afraid this was to be more of the same.

Instead a policeman motioned for me to roll down the window. "You've been drinking alcohol" he said and stuffed a device roughly the size of a shoebox into my face and said "BLOW!"

I blew a 0.00 and he gave me a snappy salute and said "Very good!" and sent me on my way.

Of note were that he pushed it right into my mouth and my lips were puckered around the same space the guy in the car ahead of me's lips were. Not sanitary.

Also, I would have thought that in the aftermath of nearly *any* meal, particularly one that included a lot of fresh fruit, that natural digestive processes would create SOME alcohol.

I don't drink so I was in no fear of failing the test, but was really surprised not to see ANYTHING register.

That's the truth and I'm sticking to it.

Adam

Mubanbuathong

How dare he.

In the USA there is a fairly complicated protocol surrounding breathanalysis and the method employed with me most certainly wouldn't have stood up in court had it taken place there.

My suspicion is that had I registered on the meter yet was clearly in control of myself, I could have bought a Get Out of Jail Free Card for 500 baht.

In Korat I was stopped the other night, and a policeman with breathalyzer in hand asked me in English "Have you been drinking Alcohol tonight?", I replied "No" and he said "OK" and waved me on my way...

I thought that was a bit weird

• Like 1

What is the point of this?

Get stopped by the plod, told to blow in a breathalyser, gave a zero reading and went on your way.

Great. You should be given a gold star.

Summed it up pretty well there mrtoad...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

In Korat I was stopped the other night, and a policeman with breathalyzer in hand asked me in English "Have you been drinking Alcohol tonight?", I replied "No" and he said "OK" and waved me on my way...

If the policeman had not been drinking himself (a big if) he would easily have been able to smell alcohol in the confined space of a car.

• Like 1

How dare he.

In the USA there is a fairly complicated protocol surrounding breathanalysis and the method employed with me most certainly wouldn't have stood up in court had it taken place there.

My suspicion is that had I registered on the meter yet was clearly in control of myself, I could have bought a Get Out of Jail Free Card for 500 baht.

"Just trying to be neighborly."

Are your neighbors in Thailand only American farangs?

"My suspicion is that had I registered on the meter yet was clearly in control of myself, I could have bought a Get Out of Jail Free Card for 500 baht."

It's not a suspicion, it's a condescending & baseless accusation that you're making based on your prejudices.

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Got stopped on a Sunday afternoon at 17.30 coming back from a market .. I just get happy with them and say 'ok guys what you want me to do?' .. then thank them and shake the hand on the 'main man'.. They love it but they don't realise I'm taken the pi** .. never paid a baht yet ..

Why is that weird? It gave him a chance to hear if your speech was slurred, and to look for rolling eyes... I would bet that he leaned in pretty close as well - that would be to try and smell alcohol.

Yup, same happened to me in Surin a few times. I thought is was odd for a cop to believe you when you tell him and not test you.

Never know TIT.

What I think I love the most about ThaiVisa.com is the general feeling of politeness and civility. It's that warmth here that keeps me coming back.

I've been driving for 28 years - most in Thailand and the US. I've never seen this happen before.

I guess I thought maybe if you were coming home late from the Tiffany show with a new friend wub.png and might have had a few too many you could avoid Ngam Wong Wan / Rattanathibet and save yourself a little trouble.

Just trying to be neighborly.

So you are doing all you can to keep drunk drivers ON the road?

Cheers

Most of the drunk drivers in Thailand can't read or speak anything but Thai!

How dare he.

"In the USA there is a fairly complicated protocol surrounding breathanalysis and the method employed with me most certainly wouldn't have stood up in court had it taken place there."

Not sure why reference to the US is relevant or entirely realistic. This isn't the US and the protocol in the US depends on your race and geographic location. Comparing one situation in Thailand to some supposed fairytale protocol in the US is ridiculous and naïve.

If, for example, you had black hair and brown skin in places like Arizona, it would be assumed you were an illegal immigrant and forced to prove you were not. Or if you appeared to be Arab in many places it would be assumed you were a terrorist. And if you were Black in a gated community in Florida, George Zimmerman could follow you for no reason, shoot you and not serve any time. Everything coming up roses in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave indeed.

And even if you're blonde & blue eyed, if you don't have ID the protocol for something really serious like jaywalking is:

Don't you admire the superb fitness of these American police.

This happens regularly in my neighborhood (Ratchaprasong), and I see taxis and various Thais blow through without being asked to stop, but I (the farang) was, of course, stopped and asked to take the breathalyzer.

I was quite stunned that the cop would actually expect me to put my lips on the thing, so I initially refused...God knows what cooties I would catch. But with some hand gestures and mime, he indicated that I didn't need to actually put my lips on the thing, so after a couple of attempts I managed to blow enough air to register (a 0.00) on the meter.

Not sure if this is standard practice, or if some of the gadgets are different, but next time I would suggest blowing without lips attached [insert your own smartass comment here]

Edited by eppic

What is the point of this?

Get stopped by the plod, told to blow in a breathalyser, gave a zero reading and went on your way.

Great. You should be given a gold star.

I've started breathylising my chauffeur before the ride home....can't be too careful!

What I think I love the most about ThaiVisa.com is the general feeling of politeness and civility. It's that warmth here that keeps me coming back.

I've been driving for 28 years - most in Thailand and the US. I've never seen this happen before.

I guess I thought maybe if you were coming home late from the Tiffany show with a new friend wub.png and might have had a few too many you could avoid Ngam Wong Wan / Rattanathibet and save yourself a little trouble.

Just trying to be neighborly.

I believe most posters are polite and civil. As with any minority that makes a lot of noise, the impolite and uncivil seem to get more notice than they merit.

I prefer to see them as them as they portray themselves. Crude, base and ill mannered. In person they wouldn't get as much as a second glance or much notice from anyone with good observation tools.

On this forum they can anonymously satisfy their immature and underdeveloped communication skills.

I've faced the same situation several times. As a former certified/commissioned law enforcement officer I know how inaccurate roadside breathalyzer can be, and how much training it takes to operate a real one. And yes, the OP was right, it is filthy. I have spoken with the officer, I don't speak Thai, sorry all you that think you are better farangs than those of us that don't, but politely refused saying no alcohol. I had one officer literally stick the thing in my face. Managed to pass on through. I'm not putting that thing anywhere near my mouth whether I've had drinks or not. And you teatotelers can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I might add, the days of the 500 baht "get out of jail free" card for being over the limit are gone and have been for at least a year or so. You don't pass, you are going to jail, pay 20,000 to 30,000 baht. You might get some back when you go to court. I'll take my chances refusing and spending the night in jail, just like I would in the states.

I've faced the same situation several times. As a former certified/commissioned law enforcement officer I know how inaccurate roadside breathalyzer can be, and how much training it takes to operate a real one. And yes, the OP was right, it is filthy. I have spoken with the officer, I don't speak Thai, sorry all you that think you are better farangs than those of us that don't, but politely refused saying no alcohol. I had one officer literally stick the thing in my face. Managed to pass on through. I'm not putting that thing anywhere near my mouth whether I've had drinks or not. And you teatotelers can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I might add, the days of the 500 baht "get out of jail free" card for being over the limit are gone and have been for at least a year or so. You don't pass, you are going to jail, pay 20,000 to 30,000 baht. You might get some back when you go to court. I'll take my chances refusing and spending the night in jail, just like I would in the states.

Your law enforcement credentials should also understand the process involved with a roadside breath test.

You don't mention whether or not if you've experienced the Thai way of doing things, so if you'll allow a little indulgence I'll give you some first hand experience.

Late last year driving home, I was the passenger as I'd imbibed a little too much, my driver however felt they were fine to be behind the wheel. About a mile from home, my driver was given a breath test. Failed.

Pulled the car over, a little discussion took place and among other things the procedure was explained. The procedure involved waiting 20 minutes and then retaking the test on a more accurate machine. Lining up with others, the officer was chatting away, gave my driver a stick of gum, generally trying to assist. When my drivers turn came up, the officer removed (shock horror) the previously used tube and replaced it with a fresh one, he even took it out of the wrapper in front of us.

The result (positive or negative) is inconsequential, but as was explained prior to the second test, if the test was over the prescribed limit, there would be no going to jail but there would be an issuing of a court attendance notice where you could potentially face a fine of ฿20,000 which, let's be honest being from farangland isn't a bad deal.

But that was then and this is now, a completely different ball game (given the state of affairs) with 'The Law' taking a very grim view of DUI (or at least in the media) but the laws themselves haven't changed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1