New Yaris

I don't own one but i hired one for a week on holiday. Sure it's a nice car, i don't think any modern cars are bad. It was very quiet and smooth to drive, with comfortable seats. Fuel consumption about 14 kpl driving around Krabi. Nothing to dislike really although i wasn't too keen on the fake leather look interior. I owned an old version Yaris and that was completely reliable over many years. I don't think the equipment level is good though for the money, other makes like Mitsubishi offer more value.

Not my car - but just done a 100km trip in a base model new Yaris. I was pleasantly surprised - as some posts on TV after it's launch suggested it was underpowered and over revving.

It's obviously not going to be an exciting drive - but it pulls well enough and does not sound strained. There's some noise from engine (and from the wheel arches in heavy rain) which indicates minimal sound proofing, but the noise levels do not really rise as you go faster - so it's a relaxed and quiet cruise at 100 KPH. The (cloth) seats are comfortable front and rear and it's quite big inside - probably the largest in its class.

If I'm being picky I would like a reach adjustable steering wheel as you need to sit quite upright to reach the wheel if you have long legs, and a centre armrest would be good. Ride is a little harsh but not bad at all. It has a very smooth transmission, decent interior space, reasonably low noise and the interior has a decent 'quality' feel to it. I'm now considering buying the G model as it looks good value - especially if you compare it to the new Altis.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We'll I took a Yaris for a test drive closely followed by a test drive in a Jazz and then back for another test drive in the Yaris.

Found the Yaris to be extremely underpowered, at first thought it was just me, as usually drove a 3 litre pick up hence comparied it to a Jazz. I realise the Jazz has a 1500 motor, as well as the accompanying price tag, but such a big difference in power and a far superior drive. Also found the Yaris to have extremely poor rear visibility.

Anyway I have decided to splash out and purchase a Jazz, thanks anyway for the feedback and links.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Had the new yaris not 6 months.

In town no problem. On a run 80/90 ok. More than that at 120 KPH. just don't feel right. The car is too light.

Economic. Not the way I drive it. 1.2 engine when you want to punch it just makes a noise with no real power.

Sounds like an hairdryer.

Looks beautiful .got alloys an low profile tyres.

What that does i don't know.

Inside 5 can sit ok'ish.

But mostly it's me and the kids.

The drivers seat can be raised. However I've got long legs and need to raise the seat a lot.

Kids complain because passenger and back seats are too low and they can't see out.

They put film for free hi kool. And said if I pay an extra 1500 can have lamina.

I said no.. what a mug.

The windscreen film is 40.

And with ac on low it's bloody hot like you can't breath.and seems not 100% clear.

Sides are 60 too dark in rain.

So now have to change front and sides film to either 3M. Lamina. Or V kool which I have on the PJS.

Sum up.

It's good for school runs..shopping and going local.

If you wanna long run in it.

You'll need a massage when you get to your destination.

Price. OK for what it is.

Truth. Should of waited for the Nissan navara. Basic model which I like.

However it's still a pick up.

So I'm stuck with this now

I had a 2007 Vitz ( Yaris Japan name) auto hatchback. Very harsh ride (yes too light) and basic spec. I got rid of it after 2 years and never really liked it, could not recommend. HOWEVER, I recently rented a Yaris SE or whatever the top of the line new USA model is is at SFO for a weekend. It was nicely equipped and furnished with nice cockpit, powerful, with better ride and handling than my 2012 Honda FIT sport.

Very pleasantly surprised.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1